The Off Roading 4x4 Thread - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir kayakalot View Post
    That 72 is a piece of art. What an absolutely gorgeous truck. My first vehicle was a 69 Chevy short narrow. Man the stories and memories I made in that truck. Looking at the steering wheel on that 72 reminds me of the huge steering wheel in my ‘69. I ran that truck off the road and went through a ditch sideways at about 60mph. It flexed the truck enough that the drivers door came open as I was sliding sideways. My whole body at one point was hanging out of the truck while I had a death grip on the steering wheel. How I kept from going out and getting run over by my own truck is still one of those mysteries of my youth that I don’t understand how I survived. But after the truck came to a stop, the only thing damaged was that steering wheel. It was bent pretty bad. Sure wish I still had that truck.
    Good times.

Your story reminded me of this one. One of my best friends in high school had 1966 Chevy C10 Step side 2 wheel drive, he drove it like it was a 4x4-lol. I pulled this photo off the Net to show what it looked like. It had stock steel rims though. A 283 V8 with 3 speed on the floor. Quite the beast to drive without power steering or brakes.

The Off Roading 4x4 Thread-bab7b689-6037-4418-9cd4-d210af038541.jpg

The story: We were driving down a country road on a nice summer day about 45mph when all of a sudden his driveshaft dropped from the the transmission. It took but seconds for it to dig in and catapult the trucks back end straight up in the air. We didn’t go over but pivoted 180° In the air and landed down hard and sideways off the road in a field. Landing sideways the driver side door flew open and by buddy flew out. Along with everything in the truck, even speakers that were mounted head height behind the seat. The mounts broke and they flew out. I managed to stay with the vehicle because I was wearing my “lap belt”. My friend was not wearing one and came out without injury. We had quite the laugh until it hit us the predicament. We had to flag someone down to get to town and call a tow truck. Pre-cell phone days.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Check out this video from 1957.

Pretty cool. Not many people would attempt this today with a stock truck:

That was awesome.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    This beauty was auctioned off last weekend. Not sure how much was paid but K/5’s have always been a want for me. This one being a 1972 with a top notch restoration.

I remember being 11 years old and my fathers good friend having a blue and white one identical to this one. I was so in love with it.
    I loved those old K5's when I was a kid. I wanted one so badly.

In high school, my friend had one with 38's on it. He sunk it up to the frame in a bog. I tried to get to him with my Landcruiser, but also got stuck. It was weird that I didn't sink in, but all four wheels were just spinning on the surface with no traction whatsoever. It took one of those big articulated farm tractors to get his Blazer out. Another friend pulled my 'cruiser out with his CJ.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Check out this video from 1957.

Pretty cool. Not many people would attempt this today with a stock truck:

I don't know where you found that gem Chuck, but that video is extremely cool.

It reminds me of my grandfather's 1957 Chevy stepside that I learned to drive on. Lots of nostalgia after watching that.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I don't know where you found that gem Chuck, but that video is extremely cool.

It reminds me of my grandfather's 1957 Chevy stepside that I learned to drive on. Lots of nostalgia after watching that.
    That video popped up on my FB FJ40 Landcruiser page feed. Eerie how the algorithms work, but in this case it showed me something I would not have seen otherwise.

Those trucks were damn capable. I love the factory PTO (I assume) winch too.
    Will you shut up, man?!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Those trucks were damn capable. I love the factory PTO (I assume) winch too.
    They said in the video everything on the trucks could be optioned at a dealer. Too bad so few were sold with 4x4, let alone with a factory winch. Would be an amazingly cool truck to own.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    I was just at my FIL house. He was saying those were 3/4 ton trucks with "anti-spin" diffs. The pto winch is a factory option.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    I was just at my FIL house. He was saying those were 3/4 ton trucks with "anti-spin" diffs. The pto winch is a factory option.
    I agree with your FIL. Not your run of the mill 1/2 ton.

as for the PTO, I wish the PO of my FJ had left the PTO winch in place when I bought it. I'm going to hit him up when I can and see if he still has it.
    Will you shut up, man?!

mtbr member
    I have doubts that my modern Tacoma TRD Offroad with all manner of helpful doodads could do what those old trucks did.

mtbr member
    He is pretty sure the front diffs on those trucks were welded locked. Him and his cronies have done some investigating into what they did. They could probably write the bible of off roading.

I have been debating about what winch on my f250. There are three options for it. Either a hydro winch, pto, or your standard electric winch. I would rather get an electric winch so I am not dependent on the engine running to get me out. With a divorced np205 I have all manner of choices.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I was a firefighter at this fire company for 6 years

https://cj3b.info/Fire/BoyerCJ2A.html

That CJ jeep was awesome! The pump on the front was PTO and there was a trailer mounted water tank you could tow with it, or just pull water from a lake. 3sp stick, it was retired to show duty when I was there but it was used into the 90’s

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    He is pretty sure the front diffs on those trucks were welded locked. Him and his cronies have done some investigating into what they did. They could probably write the bible of off roading.

I have been debating about what winch on my f250. There are three options for it. Either a hydro winch, pto, or your standard electric winch. I would rather get an electric winch so I am not dependent on the engine running to get me out. With a divorced np205 I have all manner of choices.
    They sure could have been welded, but there are all kinds of disadvantages (even off road) that go along with that, as you know.

While I won't really need one for the FJ, if I couldn't find the PTO, I'd go with the old Warn 8724. I'd mount it on a receiver mount and put a receiver front and back. Being able to winch from either end is nice. Those old Warns were bullet proof.
    Will you shut up, man?!

mtbr member
    A friend of mine did a lincoln locker in the front of his four door long bed f350. it was a terrible idea.

The 8724 is a great winch. I had seen a hydro winch for sale that the pump ran off the PTO not a belt drive on the engine. It was pretty cool but a bit overkill. I think it was 20k or 25k pound rating. plus its more crap hanging under the truck.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

Rides all the bikes!
    Welding the rear can be a nuisance, but really handy most of the time. On the front? I would prefer selectable or LSD.

mtbr member
    unless you are going really really slow a full locked front is almost impossible to drive. that is for straight up crawlers.

mtbr member
    unless you are going really really slow a full locked front is almost impossible to drive. that is for straight up crawlers.
    Could you imagine how scary that would be in the snow?

mtbr member
    wouldn't get far enough to worry. You would be in the first ditch you came across

mtbr member
    was over at my friend's house digging through his parts bins for a different pitman arm for truck. Here is his little jeep. He does not off road it though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Off Roading 4x4 Thread-20201115_122130.jpg  

Life's a Garden, dig it!

'71 K5 on BaT

Let's see where this one goes. It's very nice, but not over restored:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...t-k5-blazer-7/
    Will you shut up, man?!

That one is identical in exterior color and interior color as I talked about my dads friend having when I was an 11 year old. Loved that ride back then.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator

That is a very nice looking truck.

I was watching an Episode of Dirt Everyday on the Motor Trend app this week where Fred provides commentary on an old episode. He decided to go back to the 4th episode of Roadkill when the roadkill boys joined Fred and Rick Pewai for cheap truck challenge. Fred brought a Squarebody 3/4 ton Suburban he picked up for $2k per the cheap truck challenge rules.

Just out of curiosity I did a craigslist search and the cheapest 2wd squarebody I could find was $4900, and at least 2 were listed for over $15k.

The second hand market is all sorts of crazy right now.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Speaking of Old Suburbans

Here's a nice one going off tomorrow on BaT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...et-suburban-5/
    Will you shut up, man?!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Here's a nice one going off tomorrow on BaT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...et-suburban-5/

OH WOW, that is very nice!

I wonder what it would be like getting it transferred from Canadian Registration to US.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    If it's older than 25, pretty straightforward I think. Unless you are in a smog state like California then there might be more complications.
    All I am saying is give pizza chants

mtbr member
    I know a fair amount of people that brought vehicles over in Washington and it was easy as long as they are north American spec.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    OH WOW, that is very nice!

I wonder what it would be like getting it transferred from Canadian Registration to US.
    Shouldn't be an issue, even in CA. BaT has resources to aid buyers and sellers for import/export and shipping.
    Will you shut up, man?!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    If it's older than 25, pretty straightforward I think. Unless you are in a smog state like California then there might be more complications.
    I am in California, but the smog is only for vehicles made after 1974 or 75.... So it all depends on what VIN is listed, the VIN of the Body or the Vin of the Chassis.... But even then getting it to smog would not be a big deal if it has all the right equipment or the right equipment is available for purchase.

I am not in the market anyway, but that is a very nice truck.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Interesting... I just took a better look at that Suburban. Getting that thing registered in California may be problematic.

Bringing an older vehicle into CA usually requires a VIN verification by the CHP. Part of the VIN Ver. is comparing the body VIN to the hidden vin on the frame rail. These don't match.

I'm sure it registerable, but there better be a whole bunch of documentation to accompany it.
    Will you shut up, man?!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Interesting... I just took a better look at that Suburban. Getting that thing registered in California may be problematic.

Bringing an older vehicle into CA usually requires a VIN verification by the CHP. Part of the VIN Ver. is comparing the body VIN to the hidden vin on the frame rail. These don't match.

I'm sure it registerable, but there better be a whole bunch of documentation to accompany it.
    yeah, I am curious how it is currently registered.... Frame or Body? I know nothing of how vehicles are registered in Canada.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    When I had to get a new title created for my 74 Ford they went off the body vin on the firewall and the door frame. the inspector didn't feel like crawling around under the truck. But that's AZ.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    When I had to get a new title created for my 74 Ford they went off the body vin on the firewall and the door frame. the inspector didn't feel like crawling around under the truck. But that's AZ.

Yeah, Arizona is literally the wild west when it comes to what can be registered for street use. My sister in law lives in Prescott, first time I ever saw a Side by Side with plates driving down the street.....

MTBR Posting Guidelines

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Was able to watch both the K5 and the Suburban BaT auctions today.

The K5 went for $47.75K and the 'Burb went for $40.25K.
    Will you shut up, man?!

mtbr member
    Yeah, Arizona is literally the wild west when it comes to what can be registered for street use. My sister in law lives in Prescott, first time I ever saw a Side by Side with plates driving down the street.....

those damn things are all over the place in my neighborhood. I get passed by them on the highway. I hate SBS.

It is pretty much anything goes here. head lights, horns, and a seatbelt, here is you registration. When I take my truck in for final inspection and registration I was told they will not even open the hood. It is a 74 so no emissions technically. in '74 that truck did not have emissions equipment like EGR or cats. I have to match the emissions as it was when it was manufactured. in 1975 EGR began and other crap.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Was able to watch both the K5 and the Suburban BaT auctions today.

The K5 went for $47.75K and the 'Burb went for $40.25K.
    I was texting my dad trying to get him to buy that Burban, haha. I know he spends time browsing BAT as he has sent me listings from there before.

those damn things are all over the place in my neighborhood. I get passed by them on the highway. I hate SBS.

It is pretty much anything goes here. head lights, horns, and a seatbelt, here is you registration. When I take my truck in for final inspection and registration I was told they will not even open the hood. It is a 74 so no emissions technically. in '74 that truck did not have emissions equipment like EGR or cats. I have to match the emissions as it was when it was manufactured. in 1975 EGR began and other crap.
    So if there was no emissions in 74, then you have to match a heavy polluter? lol, do they actually test it, or just visual? Seems like if it is not required to be smogged then why would it have to match anything....

Blows me away that they allow Side by Sides to be registered for street use and also allow no helmets for motorcycles. One time while visiting Prescott I saw a "real tough dude" riding a Harley, smoking a stogie and wearing a sidearm, but no helmet. A lot of good a sidearm will do you when your head plows into a curb.....

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    its just a visual. they do not smog it. If it was a f150 it would have to be smogged but because of the GVWR of the F250 it is not required. Pretty much make sure it has mufflers, lights, horn, a side and rear view mirror, and a no broken glass. Just a general inspection. they are sticklers for the windshield. Which is BS because I am on my 5th windshield on my other vehicles this year. every highway is under construction and littered with rocks.

The no helmet rule is crazy. I have seen bikers riding with their helmet strapped to the side of the bike. There is a biker rodeo bar near my house that is a big cruise destination. See a lot of stuff like that. It gets crazy on a sat night with bikers, SBS, and big trucks.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    its just a visual. they do not smog it. If it was a f150 it would have to be smogged but because of the GVWR of the F250 it is not required. Pretty much make sure it has mufflers, lights, horn, a side and rear view mirror, and a no broken glass. Just a general inspection. they are sticklers for the windshield. Which is BS because I am on my 5th windshield on my other vehicles this year. every highway is under construction and littered with rocks.
    so for the 74 Bronco they just look and make sure it has a muffler and that is it?

The no helmet rule is crazy. I have seen bikers riding with their helmet strapped to the side of the bike. There is a biker rodeo bar near my house that is a big cruise destination. See a lot of stuff like that. It gets crazy on a sat night with bikers, SBS, and big trucks.
    oh wow, strapped to the side of the motorcycle... just as helpful as a sidearm strapped to ones hip.....

What part of Arizona do you live in? I really like the Flagstaff area. I like Prescott too, but my wife said she would not move to Prescott, but she likes Flagstaff.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    My cousin was passed at high speed by a helmetless Harley rider in the CO mountains. A couple of turns later and they came up to him on the side of the road with his head smashed in.

mtbr member
    so for the 74 Bronco they just look and make sure it has a muffler and that is it?

What part of Arizona do you live in? I really like the Flagstaff area. I like Prescott too, but my wife said she would not move to Prescott, but she likes Flagstaff.
    The bronco is much smaller than my big truck. Because of the size being a 3/4 ton 4x4 mine was not required to have emissions. I dunno about the bronco. You might have to be smogged but it still has to match how it was when it was built.

I live in New River north of Phoenix on 2.5 acres. Tonto nat forest is a mile away, I can off road from across the street. Its desert but its nice. Nice to not be in HOA or have neighbors ontop of each other. Work is 45 min south, Prescott is an hour away, Sedona hour and a half, Flagstaff is an hour and 45. I love Flagstaff, my wife graduated from NAU and many of my friends are from there so I was up there a lot. However I don't want to deal with that much snow. I like Prescott because it is like half and half of where I'm at and Flagstaff.

we have had snow

my whole property
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Off Roading 4x4 Thread-img_20190222_072242459.jpg  

The Off Roading 4x4 Thread-img_20170607_190521464_hdr.jpg  

Your bike sucks
    she likes Flagstaff.
    Not related to this post in anyway, but I wanted to say Klurejr, you're a good mod. Thanks!
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

Rides all the bikes!
    Most states don't have helmet laws. Being a Californian makes it seem weird when you travel and see no one wearing one. I am not personally a fan of helmet laws, but you'll never see me ride without one!

I remember being passed by a guy riding a wheelie at about 80 MPH without a helmet.

One of the reasons I was looking for a 7.3 Powerstroke was lack of emissions. In California, diesels didn't have testing requirements for a long time. I have no plans to do ANY tuning, I will run mine 100% stock (unless there is a more reliable part option) so I won't be out there "rolling coal" or anything, but I just don't want to deal with testing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    The bronco is much smaller than my big truck. Because of the size being a 3/4 ton 4x4 mine was not required to have emissions. I dunno about the bronco. You might have to be smogged but it still has to match how it was when it was built.

I live in New River north of Phoenix on 2.5 acres. Tonto nat forest is a mile away, I can off road from across the street. Its desert but its nice. Nice to not be in HOA or have neighbors ontop of each other. Work is 45 min south, Prescott is an hour away, Sedona hour and a half, Flagstaff is an hour and 45. I love Flagstaff, my wife graduated from NAU and many of my friends are from there so I was up there a lot. However I don't want to deal with that much snow. I like Prescott because it is like half and half of where I'm at and Flagstaff.

we have had snow

my whole property

I miss having property, that is one of the reasons my wife and I keep talking about Arizona. I don't think I could do the desert though... I am guessing you are still not at enough elevation to get away from the Triple Digit summers.....

But it certainly would be easier to find work in the Phoenix area. I have setup my linkedin profile to notify me when SysAdm positions come up in Flagstaff... nothing very promising has shown up in the last 2 years. I recently expanded it to include Prescott.

To have 2-3 acres and be backed up to national forest or an established trail system would be amazing.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    Not related to this post in anyway, but I wanted to say Klurejr, you're a good mod. Thanks!
    thank you for the kind words. Sometimes I get poo-pood on for trying to keep the peace as a volunteer..... we don't get paid for moderating....

MTBR Posting Guidelines

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    Most states don't have helmet laws. Being a Californian makes it seem weird when you travel and see no one wearing one. I am not personally a fan of helmet laws, but you'll never see me ride without one!

I remember being passed by a guy riding a wheelie at about 80 MPH without a helmet.

One of the reasons I was looking for a 7.3 Powerstroke was lack of emissions. In California, diesels didn't have testing requirements for a long time. I have no plans to do ANY tuning, I will run mine 100% stock (unless there is a more reliable part option) so I won't be out there "rolling coal" or anything, but I just don't want to deal with testing.

Yeah, getting a vehicle smogged is just a pain in the butt sometimes. I have thought about buying an older Chevy Squarebody with the 6.2l diesel just to do an LS swap and then have a reliable, powerful gasser without needing to get it smogged every 2 years.

Also, sorry for the triple post, until the new software arrives and mutli-quote works again this is sometimes the easiest way to reply to multiple posts...

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    thank you for the kind words. Sometimes I get poo-pood on for trying to keep the peace as a volunteer..... we don't get paid for moderating....
    Thanks much. I appreciate your efforts keeping this place sane.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reagardng CA smog laws...

It's generally accepted that CA smog regs only apply to vehicles newer than '75. While in practicality this is true, technically there's more to it.

The way the rules currently read, every vehicle newer than 1966 has to comply with emissions regulations required for that year. They are required to have all the factory emissions equipment installed and functional. However, only vehicles newer than 1975 are required to pass a biannual inspection. That's why everyone says 1975 and newer.

I know of a case where a guy with a blown, big block '70 Chevelle was screwing around heading South on 101 in the Northbay. He got pulled over by the CHP and was told to take it home. He was further told that if he was seen one exit further South of where he was pulled over, his car would be towed and impounded.

The guy decided to call the CHPs bluff. Another CHP pulled the guy over a few miles South, near Novato. They impounded the car, nullified the registration and ruled that the car had be returned to stock condition before it could be re-registered for street use in CA. Their reason was that it didn't meet emissions regulations required for 1970.

It left a lot of street rodders up here on edge for quite some time.
    Will you shut up, man?!

mtbr member
    that's pretty much the same rules for here but its not really enforced. I'm not concerned too much since I'm not modding the motor for performance but more reliability. I will probably go FI down the road just so I don't have to do as carb tuning especially if I take it in the high elevations. Plus I hate carbs, mainly because I am not good at adjusting them.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    that's pretty much the same rules for here but its not really enforced. I'm not concerned too much since I'm not modding the motor for performance but more reliability. I will probably go FI down the road just so I don't have to do as carb tuning especially if I take it in the high elevations. Plus I hate carbs, mainly because I am not good at adjusting them.
    Yeah, it's not enforced here either, unless you're a dick and give them a reason to.

There have been several attempts to go back to a rolling 30 year exemption, but they have failed. I'm still hopeful. The truth be told, the vast majority of people are not enthusiasts who like older cars anyway, therefore the numbers on the road are becoming less and less significant in their impact on the environment. For enthusiasts, those that exist tend to keep them running better and less polluting anyway.
    Will you shut up, man?!

Rides all the bikes!
    I know I am asking for the impossible, but I would like to see some sort of common sense regulations on that. A rolling timeline would be nice, 30-40 years. But with the requirement that they get special plates ("Classic car" or something) that restricts their use. Or some sort of buyback program that pays people to junk their old cars. I figure the people who are taking good care of their cars aren't driving them much, mostly weekend toys, and aren't contributing much to pollution (much like a racecar). The cars that do the most damage are the old clunkers that people drive into the ground, those need to be removed from the road. If you want to drive it full time, it has to burn clean or you get paid to junk it.

Example:
    Clean Toyota MR2. Daily drive? Gets inspections. Weekend toy? Plated and insured as a classic and can only be driven 4000 miles a year. Insurance can handle mileage enforcement.

Hot rod '68 Mustang? Classic car plate, only driven 4000 miles a year. Probably only getting 2000 miles anyway.

Clapped out 1986 Chrysler Lebaron? Here is a $2000 credit to go into a 10 year old or newer vehicle and junk the K Car.

That gets the gross polluters off the road, and lets the enthusiast enjoy their cars with minimum impact, and hopefully less oversight. I just made all this up, but you get the idea.

mtbr member
    I would love the rolling rule. I have filed multiple times to get my bronco exempt due to my location and usage and been denied. It is rarely driven on the hwy, generally if it is, it is out of Maricopa County. I put less than 3k miles on it a year, and the majority of those miles are off highway. It passes emissions just fine except one time the dumb ass tester put the vise grips on the hard ford vacuum line to test the evap system. It broke the line, they told me they didn't do it but you could see the teeth marks from the pliers on the broken line. I argued with them and they made me go down to the main facility and get a vehicle inspection.

It runs so much better without the emission systems on it. I only put the cats on when it had to go get tested and I removed the smog pumps because they failed and didn't feel like replacing them.

mtbr member
    What I have been told is if you have a 4x4 with classic plates and insurance, you go off road and wreck it, they drop your insurance.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I know I am asking for the impossible, but I would like to see some sort of common sense regulations on that. A rolling timeline would be nice, 30-40 years. But with the requirement that they get special plates ("Classic car" or something) that restricts their use. Or some sort of buyback program that pays people to junk their old cars. I figure the people who are taking good care of their cars aren't driving them much, mostly weekend toys, and aren't contributing much to pollution (much like a racecar). The cars that do the most damage are the old clunkers that people drive into the ground, those need to be removed from the road. If you want to drive it full time, it has to burn clean or you get paid to junk it.

Example:
    Clean Toyota MR2. Daily drive? Gets inspections. Weekend toy? Plated and insured as a classic and can only be driven 4000 miles a year. Insurance can handle mileage enforcement.

Hot rod '68 Mustang? Classic car plate, only driven 4000 miles a year. Probably only getting 2000 miles anyway.

Clapped out 1986 Chrysler Lebaron? Here is a $2000 credit to go into a 10 year old or newer vehicle and junk the K Car.

That gets the gross polluters off the road, and lets the enthusiast enjoy their cars with minimum impact, and hopefully less oversight. I just made all this up, but you get the idea.
    The State of California offered to buy my '67 GTO for $1000. I actually called them and left a VERY nasty message. Oddly, they never sent me another "offer".
    Will you shut up, man?!

Rides all the bikes!
    What I have been told is if you have a 4x4 with classic plates and insurance, you go off road and wreck it, they drop your insurance.
    I think that applies to most off road activities. Pretty sure most insurance won't cover off road activities including track days and such.

mtbr member
    I actually asked my insurance guy about that. they myth about towing your car to the highway for a claim is false. An accident or damage is just that as long as it is a numbered road, marked trail, what not. Now track days are different. you sign a waiver of liability when you enter the track even if you are a spectator. I had extra forms to fill out for hot pit crews. However you can get track day insurance BTW.

Rides all the bikes!
    I kinda have a rule that I don't take anything to the track I am not willing to write off. Probably from my motorcycle days, and how many times I went asphalt surfing at the track

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    I actually asked my insurance guy about that. they myth about towing your car to the highway for a claim is false. An accident or damage is just that as long as it is a numbered road, marked trail, what not. Now track days are different. you sign a waiver of liability when you enter the track even if you are a spectator. I had extra forms to fill out for hot pit crews. However you can get track day insurance BTW.

did they say it changes if you are slightly off a marked trail or numbered road.... like in a sand wash?

MTBR Posting Guidelines

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    There are track day only policies by specialty companies available. June of '99, my younger brother took his newly completed E30 race car to Sears Point to begin his set up for the season.

On a whim before leaving the shop, he checked on a policy he had heard about and decided to buy it. If I recall correctly, it was around $300 for a $30K one-day policy. He ponied up the $$ and insured the car.

Now, swear to god... He let his co-driver drive it first, since he has way more seat time in a prepped E30 and has actually logged time on the Nurbergring. Steve got in the car, got on the track and with cold tires decided to push it a little too hard coming out of the Carousel (a downhill, approx. 200+ degree sweeper). Steve either got back on the throttle too hard, too soon or was simply carrying too much speed all the way through the turn. In any case, he ran it off the track on the exit and DESTROYED the car on the outside guard rail.

After a bit of a fight and lots of receipts, the insurance company agreed to pay out a little over $26K for the damage. The car was a total write off and my brother lost money.

Could have been a much bigger loss.
    Will you shut up, man?!

mtbr member
    did they say it changes if you are slightly off a marked trail or numbered road.... like in a sand wash?
    It has to be on a numbered marked trail or road. Or if you can prove you fell off the known road. A sand wash or degraded trail would be considered a "connector path". It may not have a specific direction or travel from point A to point B due to seasonal changes.

Like any insurance company you need to be close to your agent if you want to push the limits of liability. There is always a bit of sway on what is and what isn't.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Gotcha,
    I went camping with some friends at the Ocatillo Wells OHV area a month ago and us boys did some late night romping around in the desert.... we sent half the time just driving through the desert and in sand washes, not actually on the dirt roads that criss cross the place.

nothing happened, but this conversation got me curious.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    out there its really hard to say. there are so many trails here and there, some are real trails, some are ones people have made.

did you go to the 4x4 training center? turn west on the 86 at the jack in the box gas station. Go about 3 miles and you will find the 4x4 playground. That is where tierra del sol is at. awesome fun.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    out there its really hard to say. there are so many trails here and there, some are real trails, some are ones people have made.

did you go to the 4x4 training center? turn west on the 86 at the jack in the box gas station. Go about 3 miles and you will find the 4x4 playground. That is where tierra del sol is at. awesome fun.

No, we left camp at 11pm and drove over to a place called Blow Sands.... then we headed back to camp. we were out for like an hour driving around in the Dark. I had no idea where I was.

That night the wind picked up and we barely left the trailers the next day due to the wind. I got about 30 min of dirt bike riding, but I was by myself just goofing around. I might get back out there on Sunday for the day.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    we were out there in Feb. Blow Sands is right. good god it was 30mph for 72 hours and not a tree in sight. check out the area I was talking about, pretty awesome.

https://goo.gl/maps/sELcLFuP2Vx9GTPS9

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    we were out there in Feb. Blow Sands is right. good god it was 30mph for 72 hours and not a tree in sight.
    It is supposed to be calm this weekend. I wanted to camp tomorrow night with my son, but the wife is being a weirdo and does not seem to like the idea of being home with our daughter.... whatever her motivations are, maybe just a day trip Sunday.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    I will check that place out the next time I am there. we did something similar last year up at Hungry Valley.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member

Stuck #1

Back in high school, I hadn't learned a whole lot about off-roading yet and had more than a few misadventures with my Landcruiser. Most of my mishaps were related to the ubiquitous mud of my area.

Once I was down in the woods by the river and trying to skirt my way around a massive puddle when the rig just slid over sideways right into it. I was immediately high-centered with all wheels spinning helplessly and water filling the cab a couple of inches. After a while, some guys came by with an F250 and tried to pull it out with a chain. They jerked on it and the chain broke and took out their back window. I felt terrible, but they wouldn't take any money for the damages.

My friends and I returned the next day with the high-lift and shovels. We were about to get started at the impossible task at hand when an older guy with a Ramcharger and winch showed up. He was barely able to pull it out with the 8k Warn. I guess if I had more money back then, I would have bought him dinner. I was extremely grateful to say the least. That was one of the earlier learning moments.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Back in high school, I hadn't learned a whole lot about off-roading yet and had more than a few misadventures with my Landcruiser. Most of my mishaps were related to the ubiquitous mud of my area.

Once I was down in the woods by the river and trying to skirt my way around a massive puddle when the rig just slid over sideways right into it. I was immediately high-centered with all wheels spinning helplessly and water filling the cab a couple of inches. After a while, some guys came by with an F250 and tried to pull it out with a chain. They jerked on it and the chain broke and took out their back window. I felt terrible, but they wouldn't take any money for the damages.

My friends and I returned the next day with the high-lift and shovels. We were about to get started at the impossible task at hand when an older guy with a Ramcharger and winch showed up. He was barely able to pull it out with the 8k Warn. I guess if I had more money back then, I would have bought him dinner. I was extremely grateful to say the least. That was one of the earlier learning moments.
    We stuck a '72 Landcruiser similarly in thick muck way back in the woods. After a fairly long hike out, I got ahold of a buddy with a '79 Ford. He took one look and said, "I'm not going out there." We ended up using ropes, cables and a come-along to yank through the trees until the Ford was able to get us with a tug-em strap. That was a looong day!
    Last edited by chuckha62; 4 Days Ago at 06:14 PM.
    Will you shut up, man?!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    We stuck a '72 Landcruiser similarly in a thick muck way back in the woods. After a fairly long hike out, I got ahold of a buddy with a '79 Ford. He took one look and said, "I'm not going out there." We ended up, using ropes, cables and a come-along to yank through the trees until the Ford was able to get us with a tug-em strap. That was a looong day!
    Got stuck in a mud hole with my '83 FJ40. I only attempted it because friend was there with his work truck pickup, think it was a Ford. Said he'd get me out if i got stuck. He couldn't pull me out with strap and himself got stuck. Had a 6 ft come-along, it was barely moving anything. Sun was getting low. Got pulled out by some guys on maneuvers in a Hummer.

mtbr member
    We had a cement truck get stuck down to the axle in my parents back yard years ago. It had rained heavily a few days before, the surface had dried but it was mud down below. He backed it in and down it went. unloaded the cement and tried to get out but there was no chance. My dad comes out and says I have a big Ford F350 and some heavy tow chain I'll get you out. the driver laughed while calling for a wrecker. sure enough that old Ford pulled him right out.

No known cure
    I got stuck in my built 93 Bronco. In the middle of no where in the California desert. I'd pulled over to take a leak and when I went to pull out I sunk to the frame. Four low did nothing. As i started to dig, around the corner comes this huge 1950s mining dump truck who yanked me right out. Of course right around the corner was a sign that read " caution soft shoulder. I was able to pay the deed back an hour later pulling a stuck sedan out of the sand.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    I stuck my bronco in some sand in a river bed near my house. I blew a front hub so I was 2wd. My FIL enjoyed having to pull me out. Luckily he was on the same trip and didn't have to come get me.

I was also dicking around in the mud in my backyard one day while it was raining and almost got stuck. You can go on Google earth and see where I was doing donuts.

No known cure
    I stuck my bronco in some sand in a river bed near my house. I blew a front hub so I was 2wd. My FIL enjoyed having to pull me out. Luckily he was on the same trip and didn't have to come get me.

I was also dicking around in the mud in my backyard one day while it was raining and almost got stuck. You can go on Google earth and see where I was doing donuts.
    I killed a front hub on that Bronco driving through a mud slide (that killed a handful of people) just making it through. I installed Warn hubs and never looked back. That was a month and a half after getting stuck in the desert.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    I had auto hubs from the factory that decided to loosen my axle nuts. then got some for cheap at a junk yard and those were the ones that blew. I dont remember the brand. But now running warn on my bronco. On my big truck I'm running mile marker stainless steel hubs. See how they hold up on 44" tires.

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Vintage LandCruiser Commercial

Found another old video on Youtube. This one is a television commercial from around 1967. There is a funny statement in it about being able to cruise at 85 mph on the freeway. Ummmm, NO! Anyone who's owned an old FJ knows 55 is comfortable, 60 is pushing it.

Enjoy:
    Will you shut up, man?!

mtbr member
    I don't think it was posted here (I think it was in IH8MUD) but apologies if it's already been posted.

All I am saying is give pizza chants

mtbr member
    Found another old video on Youtube. This one is a television commercial from around 1967. There is a funny statement in it about being able to cruise at 85 mph on the freeway. Ummmm, NO! Anyone who's owned an old FJ knows 55 is comfortable, 60 is pushing it.
    LOL! There's no way in hell that my old '76 would ever hit 85.

Spotted this 1983 Dodge Power Ram recently.

Pretty nice old beast.

The Off Roading 4x4 Thread-18552fca-d8cc-4a01-8cc1-de060a345b53.jpg

The Off Roading 4x4 Thread-3dd17bc9-825b-4c93-bb0e-f3cf844eeddb.jpg

Name:  CC2AD76C-2E23-4D99-80F3-D5B8BF9DE87E.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  88.0 KB
    At 8,000FT Colorado.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Spotted this 1983 Dodge Power Ram recently.

Pretty nice old beast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18552FCA-D8CC-4A01-8CC1-DE060A345B53.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	307.0 KB 
ID:	1379081

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3DD17BC9-825B-4C93-BB0E-F3CF844EEDDB.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	401.8 KB 
ID:	1379083
    That thing with a 440, 4 speed and lockers would be fun.
    Will you shut up, man?!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234