OCC Bike Thread V14 - Page 84- Mtbr.com
Page 84 of 86 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586 LastLast
Results 16,601 to 16,800 of 17046
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Korn, if you insist on shopping for me at least look at the correct size. A Large is my size, which means the first one you posted wouldn’t work because it’s a small. The second one you posted is old geometry so that’s a moot point coming off my current ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Upcyclist
    Yeah, I saw it was a small after I posted, the 429 is a large tho.

The 2nd one was for Jack, but his is much nicer so I don't know why I even posted it.
    Terms and conditions may apply

Bikesexual
    We saw a guy riding one of those tall bikes in LA Friday night.

She was like WTH is that..lol of course she has zero appreciation for bikes.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    We saw a guy riding one of those tall bikes in LA Friday night.

She was like WTH is that..lol of course she has zero appreciation for bikes.
    Hopefully she will learn to appreciate bikes in time, you will teach her.

Upcyclist

Time will tell. My sister who has been an avid mtb & road rider for decades married a guy 5 years ago who had zero interest in bikes. She turned him on to it immediately and by the third year he was addicted. So it can be done JCD.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Theres a different way to deal with the long steer tube issue!

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Time will tell. My sister who has been an avid mtb & road rider for decades married a guy 5 years ago who had zero interest in bikes. She turned him on to it immediately and by the third year he was addicted. So it can be done JCD.
    Yeah, she doesn't know how to ride, we did one lesson and actually had fun but she is afraid to hurt her knees, so there is a mental block.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    Theres a different way to deal with the long steer tube issue!
    And zero exposed seat post. A dropper wouldn’t make a difference in the attack position.

Yeah, she doesn't know how to ride, we did one lesson and actually had fun but she is afraid to hurt her knees, so there is a mental block.
    Understandable, as long as she’s good with you riding whenever you want. 😆

Upcyclist

Lol!
    Tease.

Upcyclist
    It looks really sexy, doesn't it!?

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Yep, that model has been on my short list for some time. It’s hard for me to get primed for it when I’m not in a position to buy right now.

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ what's up with that 429? Did you buy it??
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    ^ what's up with that 429? Did you buy it??
    No, I was looking for a bike for DJ.

https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/b...986002389.html

Wanna ride bikes?
    DJ, how much travel does your current Intense have?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

4.5” in back and 5” up front.

And One Speed, I’m not in the market for a new bike at the moment. This is Korns way of pushing me to be.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Good local news. They're building a 30,000 sq ft pump track near me starting soon.
    dang

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Good local news. They're building a 30,000 sq ft pump track near me starting soon.
    HEll yea!

NDD
    mtbr member
    HEll yea!
    I'm excited. Should be almost perfect for the Monocog. It'll be one of those paved ones. VeloSolutions is making it. Apparently a big company I've never heard of.
    dang

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Cool! Last time I was in Arkansas I rode the pump track in Springdale and had a lot more fun than I thought I would. I rarely make it to STL but I'll check it out when it's done.

Upcyclist
    Lucky!

mtbr member
    Lucky!
    Right?!!?!

Paved so you can skateboard on it too!

Upcyclist
    Right?!!?!

Like this, or is this one sk8 only? I'd ride both on this if I could!

Wanna ride bikes?
    Sweet! After building my first dirt jumper last year I learned how fun, cool, and skill building pump tracks can be.

Jealous!
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Like this, or is this one sk8 only? I'd ride both on this if I could!

All the paved ones I have seen are bike and skate, with some skate only times and some bike only times and some "shared times".

The company I build skatepark for has dones some concrete pump tracks off the side of some skateparks, but I think it's cheaper to go asphalt, although it won't hold up as well for skateboards in the long term.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakymcgillicuddy View Post
    Cool! Last time I was in Arkansas I rode the pump track in Springdale and had a lot more fun than I thought I would. I rarely make it to STL but I'll check it out when it's done.
    It's actually in the burbs, St. Charles (from here on out St. Chuck). It's close enough but damn St. Loser really needs to build something like this. Forest Park has plenty of topography to build off of.
    Right?!!?!

No skating for me. I grew up at the right time but never really took the time to figure it out or hung out with people who were good enough to help. I probably accidentally did an ollie one time.
    Sweet! After building my first dirt jumper last year I learned how fun, cool, and skill building pump tracks can be.

Jealous!
    They are surprisingly fun. There's only one bike park I've went to that really had one, when I was in NWI. It was like 4 jumps or something but it was pretty damn fun. I became a lot less scared of getting both wheels off the ground because of it.
    dang

NDD
    mtbr member
    Good ride this evening. Urban cruising. Did about 25 miles and 1400+ ft of climbing. Ended up riding mostly in the burbs because there are more hills and you can get away with pedaling longer and not have to stop and dink around with traffic. Didn't have a plan, was like I'll head north or home is east, etc. Although I ended up on a road I didn't have any good reason to ride my bike on and should've been more scared to, as it's a 4 lane state highway. Fortunately traffic was very slow.

Should get replacement parts for single speed on Friday. Just in time for another weekend I'm too busy to ride. Although I'll say that the worst part of my ride last weekend wasn't a very chainring. Somehow I managed to get seed ticks in between my toes so now I'm itching up a storm. No bueno.
    dang

mtbr member
    25 miles and 800' on the road bike, first ride in quite some time. Fairly lethargic ride, my cold is mostly gone, but still hanging around enough to kill motivation. I did get some new shoes that are a half size larger than my old shoes and they are "wide" I'd been wanting to get new larger shoes for some time, the broken toe pushed that purchase to the top of the list, and, my broken toe is quite comfortable in the new shoes! I did end up with some pain in my left achilles near the end of the ride though :-/

25 miles and 800' on the road bike, first ride in quite some time. Fairly lethargic ride, my cold is mostly gone, but still hanging around enough to kill motivation. I did get some new shoes that are a half size larger than my old shoes and they are "wide" I'd been wanting to get new larger shoes for some time, the broken toe pushed that purchase to the top of the list, and, my broken toe is quite comfortable in the new shoes! I did end up with some pain in my left achilles near the end of the ride though :-/
    You do know this is all a sign of aging, right?

Good to hear you got out though.

Cycologist
    Decided to play it a bit smarter for today's midweek ride. Charged up all my lights and rode on a greenway, figuring I would once again end up out a bit too late. I knew my lights weren't worth a lot as far as providing illumination for riding, they're more for being noticed. However, they weren't worth much at all.

Two of them were ones I bought about a year ago (I think), deciding to buy a decent brand rather than Amazon cheap Chinese crap. I've only used them a couple of times and the tail light was already dead after a full charge (and not using) a couple of days ago. The headlight was a little better, but didn't light up enough to help. I also brought the mounting strap for the 2fer and it kind of saved me. It only gave me enough light for 10-15 feet ahead so once it was really dark, I was outriding it's beam. And it spills a ton of light off the top and sides so if I glanced down, it would destroy my night vision. I think I'll cut a piece of old tube and see if snapping that around it stops that.

So riding along and this comes into my light and I dodged him at the last moment. Had to backtrack for this photo. About a 3 footer.

OCC Bike Thread V14-copperhead_on_greenway.jpg

The greenway is 8 miles long so I had hoped to get two out and backs in for 32miles. I realized (too late) I was going to get caught in the dark so I turned around early but still managed 29.6 miles.

Oh yeah, just remembered this sign I took a picture of a few months ago off a short branch off of this path:

OCC Bike Thread V14-beware_of_snakes.jpg

I wasn't on that bike this evening, I was on jcd's favorite bike that he doesn't own. But I did come across a photo of what that bike looked like when I bought it. Actually, this is about a month after I bought it as it took me about two weeks to get the stuck seat post out. Gunnar Street Dog so I consider it a rescue dog.

OCC Bike Thread V14-street_dog_original.jpg
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Bikesexual
    Lol^^

I happen to dig your bikes, even the folding one.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Upcyclist
    ^^Way to get out there, yall!

Still having shoulder issues and lots of work here, hoping to get some direction tomorrow at the chiropractor's office I'm working on.

Really been feeling like something's missing in my life being off the bike.

Nice Cottonmouth. Good to see you got out Chaz. Korn I’m in the same boat, I haven’t ridden for about a month. I’ve been sick, still lingering a bit. Tomorrow [Friday] it will be 14 days sick. Yesterday was the first day I actually felt like I’m on the downslope of this crud.

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ hey look, an animal picture with an animal in it. DJ, taking notes?

(Go ahead and correct me with "reptile" if it makes you feel better. The joke works better with animal)

Chaz, I don't think I knew you had a Gunnar, sweet. Excellent rescue, and a good score! Sounds like you were riding with so little light it was dangerous, get a proper light!! Even the $30 Amazon lights are pretty good from what I read. 500 lumens will do it but more is more. 700 is sort of my minimum for a single light, but I always use 2 anyway.

Sorry to hear Corn and DJim are still not back up and running on all cylinders. Hope things improve soon. I think there is still lots of great fall riding to be had.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

NDD
    mtbr member
    Who would correct you? Reptiles are animals.
    dang

Cycologist
    Nice Cottonmouth.
    Please tell me you're joking this time!

Chaz, I don't think I knew you had a Gunnar, sweet. Excellent rescue, and a good score! Sounds like you were riding with so little light it was dangerous, get a proper light!! Even the $30 Amazon lights are pretty good from what I read. 500 lumens will do it but more is more. 700 is sort of my minimum for a single light, but I always use 2 anyway.
    I actually have two! That one I paid $40 for, including the fork and a few other parts (including a seatpost that was destroyed on removal). The other one is a Roadie. It is in much better condition but still has a lot of touched up paint chips. When I find time, I'll get it powder coated. I haven't ridden it all that much, it had really narrow Nitto bars on it. I replaced them but the tape I finished with immediately fell off. I'm going to order some of that "tape" that bonds to itself when I get around to it. Last night I was riding my 2002 Jamis Quest, chromed Reynolds 631.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Wanna ride bikes?
    A timely post by Paul Components instagram feed. Here's a 2001 Maglight mount. #throwbackthursday

OCC Bike Thread V14-screen-shot-2019-10-04-8.42.16-am.png
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

NDD
    mtbr member
    Furthermore, nice snake, Chaz! Is it really a cottonmouth, I'm not good with identifying non-plant life.

Had a good ride last night. Stayed in the city, so I felt like I was accelerating the whole time. I guess that's one way to make sure you're always putting in effort!
    dang

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Lol
    Yes, an inside joke between you and I. It was so late last night when I posted it, I forgot to use a little windy dude >< as a clue in for ya.

Furthermore, nice snake, Chaz! Is it really a cottonmouth, I'm not good with identifying non-plant life.
    No, it’s a Copperhead.

NDD
    mtbr member
    No, it’s a Copperhead.
    That's what I thought since I've seen a few copperheads recently while hiking.
    dang

Bikesexual
    Chaz, maybe get some NiteRider lights.

They are not that expensive, and very reliable. My 900 lasts quite a bit and it gives plenty of light. I also have a 450 that I run during day.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

^ hey look, an animal picture with an animal in it. DJ, taking notes?
    Yes, I get all giddy.

(Go ahead and correct me with “reptile” if it makes you feel better. The joke works better with animal)
    They are animals. You are exchanging and confusing the two words “animal and mammal”.

Sorry to hear Corn and DJim are still not back up and running on all cylinders. Hope things improve soon. I think there is still lots of great fall riding to be had.
    DJ be very depressed on this. It’s his favorite time of year to ride.

Wanna ride bikes?
    They are animals. You are exchanging and confusing the two words “animal and mammal”.
    What can I say, I'm good at language.

Name:  shoulder shrug.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  13.6 KB
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Cycologist
    Ok, I have to confess: I actually have a really nice light, A Gloworm X1.

I won it about 6 years ago at an LBS anniversary lottery. Most of the trails around me close at dark and, since I usually ride alone, I figured it wasn't a good idea to ride trails at night anyway. So I planned to sell it on eBay but never got around to it (I think it was around $200 new). I guess I should break it out and try it.

But I don't have a great place to road bike at night, either. Even with a light, I wouldn't feel safe on most of the roads around here. There was one car in the parking lot when I came out and then a cop pulled in as I was getting in my car. He didn't seemed concerned, I don't think he was really checking on people being on the trail after dark. Maybe checking that no one was breaking into cars that were still there.

I guess I can do what I've been doing, start out while there is still daylight and then have the light for when it starts to get dark; at least until the time change. One place I ride goes through the NPS park (that closes) and then there is a road that leads to the park with bike lanes through a residential neighborhood that leads to a really busy road. But it's only 2.5 miles and pretty flat and boring. That was my ride last Sunday, about 24 miles total, not too bad. That included out and back on the road twice, 10 miles, and I started at the other end.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    REAL sexy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019

I actually have two! That one I paid $40 for, including the fork and a few other parts (including a seatpost that was destroyed on removal). The other one is a Roadie. It is in much better condition but still has a lot of touched up paint chips. When I find time, I'll get it powder coated. I haven't ridden it all that much, it had really narrow Nitto bars on it. I replaced them but the tape I finished with immediately fell off. I'm going to order some of that "tape" that bonds to itself when I get around to it. Last night I was riding my 2002 Jamis Quest, chromed Reynolds 631.
    631 is some good shit!

mtbr member
    I think there is still lots of great fall riding to be had.
    Weather is ****ed around here, yesterday was nice, but I just rode to town and back in the snow, both ways, but it was only uphill on the way home. Forecast is shit too. I'm headed to NYC for work soon anyway, but, g'ah!

The highschool kids were playing football when I was riding home,

Yesterday was the only nice day in the recent past or foreseeable future, pics from my bike ride,

Bummer Jack, nice shots though. NYC weather should be better.

Not sure why I’m posting this but, what the hell.
    OCC Bike Thread V14-c27daf93-27e3-4e3e-9707-43597eaaca12.jpg

Cycologist
    Yes! Summer has finally ended here, about a month too late. When I started my ride Thursday night it was 95 degrees; yesterday was the same. Today the high is expected to be 79 degrees!

Upcyclist
    No! Summer has finally ended here. Been raining heavily the last couple three days. I have been scoping out the train tracks going in the opposite direction of what I've ridden before, which goes by the Koch Industries compound down towards a train yard, so there might be some cool stuff to see.

Talked with the chiropractor and we both think my shoulder pain is from bursitis, once I Googled it I pretty much knew that was it. Damn inflamed fluid sac!

mtbr member
    Damn inflamed fluid sac!
    I thought that was called blue-balls?
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

NDD
    mtbr member
    It's decided to rain the second I had free time so I put on the new chainring and bolts. Got a little overzealous and accidentally overtightened and broke a new chainring bolt so used an old one. That's why 4 are blue and 1 is chrome. Stylish.

New grips too, feel pretty good. I'll see how it fares when I ride.
    dang

Wanna ride bikes?
    It's decided to rain the second I had free time so I put on the new chainring and bolts. Got a little overzealous and accidentally overtightened and broke a new chainring bolt so used an old one. That's why 4 are blue and 1 is chrome. Stylish.

New grips too, feel pretty good. I'll see how it fares when I ride.
    ^ there's a lot of 'Cool' in that photo. Old Redline SS, 26", rigid, non suspension corrected. I dig it.

Steel frame?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

NDD
    mtbr member
    ^ there's a lot of 'Cool' in that photo. Old Redline SS, 26", rigid, non suspension corrected. I dig it.

Steel frame?
    Yup it's steel. The guy I bought it from said aluminum, but those tubes... and they didn't make an aluminum monocog until like 2006 and all of the part lean to ~2002.
    dang

Cycologist
    Got out for an 18 mile ride. With the cooler temp, I was able to get out a little later, went to the trails that are closed for (bow) hunting until 11:00. The advanced triple stack loop, it was only the second time I've ridden in today's direction. Cleaned a couple of section that I didn't last time. Still several spots I didn't clean.

Really nice with the cooler temperature and a breeze in the woods much of the time. The first loop has some flow sections, though but the other two are natural, hand cut trails. In a lot of spots, I had to kind of search for the trail as I rode.

OCC Bike Thread V14-wheres_the_trail.jpg

At one point, I wasn't sure if the trail went straight or took a sharp ninety degree turn and had to stop and do some scouting; it took the 90 and went downhill. (not the photo, that was earlier)

Then, after a nice ride, I just about got nailed by someone crossing over the centerline coming around a curve on the drive home. Scared me, didn't have time to react and then as I glanced in my rearview mirror, I saw they were half way into my lane on a pretty narrow road. Looked like they then realized what they were doing and yanked it back and hit the brakes as I saw the car take an awkward dive and the inside back corner of the car rise up. I suspect they were on their cell phone.

And send some of the rain our way, we've been in a miserable draught and with the high temps, everything is drying out.

Cycologist
    No! Summer has finally ended here. Been raining heavily the last couple three days. I have been scoping out the train tracks going in the opposite direction of what I've ridden before, which goes by the Koch Industries compound down towards a train yard, so there might be some cool stuff to see.

Talked with the chiropractor and we both think my shoulder pain is from bursitis, once I Googled it I pretty much knew that was it. Damn inflamed fluid sac!
    Bursitis? Isn't that what old men get?

Actually, my doctor thought that's what I had in my hip about 8 or 9 years ago. But it was actually piriformis syndrome; my sister figured it out (she's an OT). But that's not what you have since the piriformis muscle is in the butt.

Hope it heals up fast so you can get back out there. You, too DJ, get well.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Dam injury right as the weather is turning nice.

Thursday night, I tried to take out a tree. Tree won.

My whole right side is phukked up. Forehead scrapes, elbow, forearm, knee. But the bad part is I think my elbow got jammed into my ribs. I have either a bruised or cracked rib. One of those deals where you can't sneeze, laugh, cough or it hurts like hell. My right arm is pretty much useless till this rib thing heals up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OCC Bike Thread V14-arm.jpg  

rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Rabid Lana Fan
    It takes me like 7 minutes to get in my truck.

Had to get this so I could drive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OCC Bike Thread V14-knob.jpg  

Cycologist
    Damn, looks like the whole OCC crew is going down for the count! I crashed a long time ago and injured some ribs, wasn't quite as bad as what you're talking about but it was painful. Hope you heal up quick, Net.

And is the bike ok?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    I have either a bruised or cracked rib.
    Thats my second least favorite injury with back injury being my least favorite.

Sorry to hear it man, the interconnective tissue between the ribs is so slow to heal as it never gets a rest due to our constant breathing :-(

Rabid Lana Fan
    Thanks guys. Yeah, bike is OK.

One ring to mash them all
    Gonna have to rename this place to Urgent Care Crew.
    “Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
    — Groucho Marx

Wow Net, sucks. Why the late report? You know this site [thread] takes priority with these matters. Ribs, been there but my sternum was also cracked. Most painful lingering injury I’ve ever had I think. Healing vibes sent.

Thanks Chaz, I would say the last 3 days is definitely the downslope. Today I actually felt human again. its been in the 70’s but by Thursday they’re calling for snow. 75 Wed. and 37 Thursday.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about that crash, Net. Hoping it heals up thoroughly.
    dang

Wanna ride bikes?
    Rubber side down people.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

TOP TIER LURKER
    It's Summer all year long here. Come on out, the water is nice!

Sorry to hear about your crash Net. Healing vibes out to ya.

I kept the rubber side down today.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Rabid Lana Fan
    Wow Net, sucks. Why the late report?
    Cusit heartz 2tipe.

Cusit heartz 2tipe.
    Youdon’thaveasecretary?

Cycologist
    Cusit heartz 2tipe.
    So how does Suzy take this? Has she been riding much since her crash?

My wife would be insisting that I'm too old to be mountain biking and have to stop, just like she said 10 years ago when I crashed and ended up in the ER. She actually told me that again last week after talking to a friend who is also on blood thinners and recently passed out and fell. She was told it was dangerous as she could hit her head when she falls and have internal bleeding. I told her I'm careful.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Pretty good ride today. 99% gravel, but not much climbing. Kinda getting ready for the 50 mile gravel ride I've got coming up next Saturday but am out of town all week for work so I can't really train.
    dang

mtbr member
    That 16 MPH average speed on Gravel is solid!

NDD
    mtbr member
    That 16 MPH average speed on Gravel is solid!
    I was somewhat pleased by that, but unfortunately it's mostly fine limestone gravel that's been packed down by car tires. That doesn't mean that most hills weren't washed out, riddled with tractor tire ruts, or pureed into a soup by last nights rains, but next weekend is going to be some dank nasty river gravel. If it's fresh, I'll hope for a solid 10 - 12 mph, if it's packed down I'll hope for 12 - 14 mph.
    dang

Bikesexual
    Bummer Net, hope you heal quickly.

@Chaz,

Thanks for the PM, I couldn't reply, saying I reached the maximum amount of messages.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Cycologist
    Bummer Net, hope you heal quickly.

@Chaz,

Thanks for the PM, I couldn't reply, saying I reached the maximum amount of messages.
    Your account isn't full of sent messages, is it? You can delete those as well.

Bikesexual
    Your account isn't full of sent messages, is it? You can delete those as well.
    I thought I dumped it all on the site and Tapatalk.

Busy weekend, so haven't really dived into it.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

It took two of us 50 minutes with Silky saws but we cleared it.
    Western Montana

lol @ "I should have…more normal friends."
    “Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
    — Groucho Marx

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    lol @ "I should have…more normal friends."
    LMAO the whole way, what a party.

I also like how that mud pit (d)evolved into god knows what.
    — Groucho Marx

A waste of time it is is
    Good work ghood.

Great video TOR

Just back from a 3 day road trip with the boy to Canberra.

OCC Bike Thread V14-img_20191008_103010.jpg

TOP TIER LURKER
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    Good work ghood.

Great video TOR

Just back from a 3 day road trip with the boy to Canberra.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191008_103010.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	359.9 KB 
ID:	1285653
    Great pic emu!

mtbr member
    LMAO the whole way, what a party.
    The guy aiming the hose directly into people's eyes ruined it for me, that does not fall into the "just goofing around" category, thats just being a dick.

A waste of time it is is
    Cheers Hawgzilla. Not the best view of the day but I had to get a pic beside that trail sign.

The guy aiming the hose directly into people's eyes ruined it for me, that does not fall into the "just goofing around" category, thats just being a dick.
    I dunno, I think they had fair warning that taking an easy line warranted more hosing. I strongly suspect that wasn't the worst abuse those guys have dished out on one another. The last guy got a cubic foot of dirt thrown on him from multiple directions.

All that said…I think my friends and I stopped abusing each other like that around middle school. Something involving BB guns, vinegar-baking soda bombs and rotten avocado grenades.
    — Groucho Marx

mtbr member
    I dunno, I think they had fair warning that taking an easy line warranted more hosing.
    After he did it to one guy every person got it directly in the eyes, no matter the line the took. It's ****ed up, that can mess up an eyeball.

Agree, but it was all part of the challenge. The mud pit turned garbage pit obstacle course getting worse with each run should have been left out. Throwing dirt at the riders faces and hosing them in the eyes, not cool. But, chalk it up to a young guys drinking in a party atmosphere, these things get carried away.

Cheers Hawgzilla. Not the best view of the day but I had to get a pic beside that trail sign.
    That’s a great photo. Run Emu Runnn...

Cycologist
    @NDD, looking forward to hearing about your 50 miles gravel ride!

I was thinking about entering a race in November. It's an off-road duathlon, mtb/trail run/mtb. I did the run leg for another rider two years ago and I did it solo in the race's inaugural year, maybe 9 years ago. But, I haven't been running enough and though the mtb would be no problem, throwing a run in the middle probably would be. If you're not used to it, you come off the bike and start running and it feels like someone filled your legs with lead.

Then, my mtb group sent me an email about a 51 miles gravel race that same day. It's three laps of a 17 mile route, that I've done a couple of times. I don't think I'll be competitive, I'm sure there will be a lot of roadies and CX racers who will dust me easily. But sounds like a fun time and it's a nice route.

And then two weeks later, I found another race that's about the same distance up in North Georgia/Tennessee. It's close to where my folks have a cabin so I could go up the night before. It would give me the opportunity to learn about some gravel routes up that way.

After he did it to one guy every person got it directly in the eyes, no matter the line the took. It's ****ed up, that can mess up an eyeball.
    lol OK
    — Groucho Marx

NDD
    mtbr member
    @NDD, looking forward to hearing about your 50 miles gravel ride!

I was thinking about entering a race in November. It's an off-road duathlon, mtb/trail run/mtb. I did the run leg for another rider two years ago and I did it solo in the race's inaugural year, maybe 9 years ago. But, I haven't been running enough and though the mtb would be no problem, throwing a run in the middle probably would be. If you're not used to it, you come off the bike and start running and it feels like someone filled your legs with lead.

Then, my mtb group sent me an email about a 51 miles gravel race that same day. It's three laps of a 17 mile route, that I've done a couple of times. I don't think I'll be competitive, I'm sure there will be a lot of roadies and CX racers who will dust me easily. But sounds like a fun time and it's a nice route.

And then two weeks later, I found another race that's about the same distance up in North Georgia/Tennessee. It's close to where my folks have a cabin so I could go up the night before. It would give me the opportunity to learn about some gravel routes up that way.
    I'll try to actually stop for a photo or two but that's usually the last thing on my mind. Got home from a business trip at 9 tonight started work at 730 this morning. I didn't feel like getting on the bike. I'll have to tomorrow just to get warmed up and make sure the bikes ok. Unfortunately it'll be a short pavement pedal.

51 miles is a good effort. Probably better than the run with not enough training. The later gravel sounds like a lot of fun and it's fortunate you've got a cabin to stay at nearby. Very jealous!
    dang

NDD
    mtbr member
    For Chaz for now.
    dang

mtbr member
    Hell yea NDD!!!!

mtbr member
    My work truck got broken into last night and my folding bike was stolen, I've had that bike for about 18 years, its been all over the country with me, even to Alaska, its the little tiny bike I rode a century on a few months ago...

RIP my folding bike.

NDD
    mtbr member
    My work truck got broken into last night and my folding bike was stolen, I've had that bike for about 18 years, its been all over the country with me, even to Alaska, its the little tiny bike I rode a century on a few months ago...

RIP my folding bike.
    Dude that's tragic. I'll poor one out for the folding bike.
    dang

Wanna ride bikes?

RIP my folding bike.
    That sucks, sorry to hear that. Bike thieves... there's a special place in hell.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

NDD
    mtbr member
    Alright Chaz, here's how it really was. I took pictures at one point when I stopped to stretch my legs, but they suck. I'm not posting them.

Anywho, it was a great ride. Unfortunately I don't think I ate enough for breakfast/didn't consume calories until 42 miles in. I did have what I consider to be a large breakfast with a large bowl of steel cut oats, bananas, and peanut butter. I even resisted the urge to get roller food from the gas station when getting fuel on the way there! That all comes in to play later.

In essence, I was doing very well, set to finish in maybe just under 4 hours. The hills were steep and/or long, many with a line of tractor tire ruts. The gravel was nice today, though. None of it was fresh, and it had rained earlier in the week, so it was packed pretty well. That was nice. After about 33 miles I decided that I was just hot as hell and took off my jacket and gloves and put them in my pannier bag (they were gardening gloves, I had expected it to be about 8 degrees warmer than 36 degrees at t he start and happened to have them in my truck so I said "what they hell"). I also used this time to fill up my water bottle on my bike from the larger water bottle in my bag, because my wife apparently left all but one water bottles in her car before she left for Dallas for a wedding, that's neat. At that point I started up the hill I stopped and rode into a valley and up another 300 ft climb before my legs were like "hey boss, uh, we need some juice". You know the feeling, trying to push harder but nothings going. So I was relegated to using my MONDO GRANNY GEAR to make it up the hills for the next 9 miles before the drink 'n' snack station, where I ate a cookie, a small donut, 2 cups of gatorade, and a banana, which kicked in after about 10 minutes and I was able to push through to the end at a better pace. This included one of those long climbs right at the end where you keep turning and every time you round the corner you're like "this is it! the hill's gotta end!" but then there's just more hill again and again.

They've changed the route from previous years, and so there's more climbing. However, I feel like it was only 70 - 75% gravel, though most paved sections were pretty steep. I actually like the new route and thought it was pretty scenic, going through some conservation areas and a state park. As usual in rural areas a couple of people had dogs that chased cyclists. That is not fun. Fortunately most were ankle biters, but there was one house that was right by a highway you had to turn on where a German Shepherd mix female (which looked like a hardened bitch version of my sweet, sweet dog) and a male German Shepherd that chased, barked, and growled all the way to the county highway. I just hoped no cars were coming, lucky me. There was a house like that when I lived in far southeast Missouri where the house was on the corner of the county highway and a gravel road and like three pit bulls would just start chasing you. That's friggin scary.

So I had a lot of fun, basically.
    dang

That sucks, sorry to hear that. Bike thieves... there's a special place in hell.
    Couldn’t have said it better. Sorry to hear that Jack. I’m actually tearing up thinking about the emotions you must be going through.

Alright Chaz, here's how it really was. I took pictures at one point when I stopped to stretch my legs, but they suck. I'm not posting them.

Anywho, it was a great ride. Unfortunately I don't think I ate enough for breakfast/didn't consume calories until 42 miles in. I did have what I consider to be a large breakfast with a large bowl of steel cut oats, bananas, and peanut butter. I even resisted the urge to get roller food from the gas station when getting fuel on the way there! That all comes in to play later.

In essence, I was doing very well, set to finish in maybe just under 4 hours. The hills were steep and/or long, many with a line of tractor tire ruts. The gravel was nice today, though. None of it was fresh, and it had rained earlier in the week, so it was packed pretty well. That was nice. After about 33 miles I decided that I was just hot as hell and took off my jacket and gloves and put them in my pannier bag (they were gardening gloves, I had expected it to be about 8 degrees warmer than 36 degrees at t he start and happened to have them in my truck so I said "what they hell"). I also used this time to fill up my water bottle on my bike from the larger water bottle in my bag, because my wife apparently left all but one water bottles in her car before she left for Dallas for a wedding, that's neat. At that point I started up the hill I stopped and rode into a valley and up another 300 ft climb before my legs were like "hey boss, uh, we need some juice". You know the feeling, trying to push harder but nothings going. So I was relegated to using my MONDO GRANNY GEAR to make it up the hills for the next 9 miles before the drink 'n' snack station, where I ate a cookie, a small donut, 2 cups of gatorade, and a banana, which kicked in after about 10 minutes and I was able to push through to the end at a better pace. This included one of those long climbs right at the end where you keep turning and every time you round the corner you're like "this is it! the hill's gotta end!" but then there's just more hill again and again.

They've changed the route from previous years, and so there's more climbing. However, I feel like it was only 70 - 75% gravel, though most paved sections were pretty steep. I actually like the new route and thought it was pretty scenic, going through some conservation areas and a state park. As usual in rural areas a couple of people had dogs that chased cyclists. That is not fun. Fortunately most were ankle biters, but there was one house that was right by a highway you had to turn on where a German Shepherd mix female (which looked like a hardened bitch version of my sweet, sweet dog) and a male German Shepherd that chased, barked, and growled all the way to the county highway. I just hoped no cars were coming, lucky me. There was a house like that when I lived in far southeast Missouri where the house was on the corner of the county highway and a gravel road and like three pit bulls would just start chasing you. That's friggin scary.

So I had a lot of fun, basically.
    Great ride report. Sounds like you gave it your all, even through the dog gauntlet.

Bikesexual
    Fvck thieves! Sorry to hear that jack.

WTF kinda karma is that?
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Damn jack that sucks, sorry to hear it.

Nice work NDD. We might have leap frogged each other once or twice without realizing it...my buddy flatted about 10 miles in, then we stopped to help another guy, then I flatted around 40mi. Finished a little after 4:30.

Luckily there was no dust to be eaten

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakymcgillicuddy View Post

Nice work NDD. We might have leap frogged each other once or twice without realizing it...my buddy flatted about 10 miles in, then we stopped to help another guy, then I flatted around 40mi. Finished a little after 4:30.
    Nice! You did pretty good then! Must've crossed paths at some point. My gun time was 4:27. I didn't see anyone with flats but stopped to ask a few people who ended up being folks that were just resting.

Did you think it was a pretty good ride then?
    dang

A waste of time it is is
    Nice work NDD.
    Jack, sorry to hear that, real bummer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Yeah! Good course, really good conditions. Some pretty big climbs but you could just settle into a cadence, no swimming around in loose gravel or dodging washboards.

Cycologist
    Sorry to hear about the folder, Jack, that's sad.

Thanks for the report NDD, and squeaky. Hopefully everyone will have forgotten your time, average speed and elevation gain by the time (and if) I do my gravel race. I'm thinking about going down and riding a lap of the course tomorrow. Also thinking of taking my Unit along to hit the mtb trails that leave from the same parking lot.

NDD
    mtbr member

Thanks for the report NDD, and squeaky. Hopefully everyone will have forgotten your time, average speed and elevation gain by the time (and if) I do my gravel race.
    That's never even a factor for me. I just pedal to push myself for fun. If I were really serious is actually train and wouldn't have gone the six days before the event without riding (not that I had a choice). At least you get to test the course out.
    dang

Cycologist
    #%@#$^ rain!!!

Ok, it is very much needed but I got up early and already had my car loaded up, Unit in the back and Lemond on the roof.

Yeah, I was joking, NDD. I don't train for races other than riding/running a lot but I'm not going to push it out of fun into work. I do well in 5k foot races, occasionally podiuming in smaller races, and I've wondered how much better I could do if I really trained. But that would take the fun out of it so I don't. I do think you did well, good bit of climbing there.

Wanna ride bikes?
    #%@#$^ rain!!!
    That was my morning yesterday.

Today though? Today I go Bike Ride!!

Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Here, we are beginning to pray for rain. Some have been praying for a good month or so already.
    Red Flag Warnings should be rarities, not commonplace.

mtbr member
    Today though? Today I go Bike Ride!!
    I did too!!!

I found a Dahon folder almost identical to my old one, but its a 1989 model instead of a 1985, its is in MINT condition, essentially never been ridden, always stored indoors. So I blazed 55 miles on it today :-) Crazy what a good bike ride can do for a guys head space... I'll post some pics tomorrow. But the thing has the original tires, and they aren't even cracked, at all, anywhere. The brake shoes were rocks and didn't slow the bike at all really so I replaced those. All stock, not modified at all, did I mention that it wasn't even really ridden? Even came with the original carry bag for when it is in its folded configuration :-)

Wanna ride bikes?
    I did too!!!

I found a Dahon folder almost identical to my old one, but its a 1989 model instead of a 1985, its is in MINT condition, essentially never been ridden, always stored indoors. So I blazed 55 miles on it today :-) Crazy what a good bike ride can do for a guys head space... I'll post some pics tomorrow. But the thing has the original tires, and they aren't even cracked, at all, anywhere. The brake shoes were rocks and didn't slow the bike at all really so I replaced those. All stock, not modified at all, did I mention that it wasn't even really ridden? Even came with the original carry bag for when it is in its folded configuration :-)
    Awesome! Sounds like you found a great bike. And sounds like you mood has been lifted too.

Glad you had a good maiden voyage on the new bike!
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

NDD
    mtbr member
    I did too!!!

Glad to hear it. Sounds like a formidable substitute!
    dang

Cycologist
    I did too!!!

That's great, Jack!

Here's a picture of mine. I haven't ridden it lately. I used to throw it in the minivan when my daughter had piano competitions out of town (they wouldn't allow anyone to listen but the judges). Now it's my yard bike, I throw the tools I need into the milk crate and ride out into the yard and then when I realize I forgot something, hop back on to fetch whatever I need. A lot faster than walking back to the garage or basement.

OCC Bike Thread V14-dahon_yard.jpg

I attempted to ride this afternoon. I figured I could still do the gravel ride so I unloaded the Unit and threw the Lemond into the back of my Forester. It started sprinkling again as I pulled out of the driveway. I drove thirty minutes in sprinkling rain thinking it would stop and/or I'd drive out of it. After thirty minutes, I gave up and turned around.

Cycologist
    I saw your post earlier but just now noticed what the sign says!

I did too!!!

Congrats!
    Let’s try to make this one last long than 18 years this time.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I've had some really great rides recently. Cool weather, perfect trail conditions (only a few leaves on the ground so far), calm crisp air, and long days on the bike. The leaves are changing and I'm digging the mix of excellent bikes I'm riding. Good times. I'm also working one less day per week and pretty much spending all of it on the bike. Awesome.

The bike I can't get enough of.
    OCC Bike Thread V14-img_8849.jpg

See downtown in the distance? That about where I came from.
    OCC Bike Thread V14-img_8851.jpg

Look, and ostrich!
    OCC Bike Thread V14-img_8857.jpg

Fall views
    OCC Bike Thread V14-img_8859.jpg

Good tree
    OCC Bike Thread V14-img_8860.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Wanna ride bikes?
    Also, check out my wheel bits.

Pile of parts.
    OCC Bike Thread V14-img_8863.jpg

Laced.
    OCC Bike Thread V14-img_8864.jpg

A peak through the hole
    OCC Bike Thread V14-img_8865.jpg

Done.
    OCC Bike Thread V14-img_8867.jpg

Rear hub will hopefully be here this week. It will be a little more bling-tastic. I'm looking forward to riding the Process with a nice wheelset and slightly lighter tires. Curious how that will transform the ride.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

A waste of time it is is
    Well done, dishing tool and truing stand or some other *onespeed* magic? I've got a rear that needs a re-lace after 8 years of abuse and I'm not game to try it myself.

Cycologist
    Tried to ride again this morning. A little wet at my house but not much, pulled into the trail head parking lot and it was really wet.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Well done, dishing tool and truing stand or some other *onespeed* magic? I've got a rear that needs a re-lace after 8 years of abuse and I'm not game to try it myself.
    Yeah, all the right tools. It helps speed things up but it's not necessary to build a solid wheel. I like building wheels though, good project and I've found it to be a useful skill on many occasions. I've built all the wheels on every bike I own, kind of a fun fact. (OK, I'm riding the stock wheels on my SS commuter Kona Paddy Wagon, sue me)
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Good stuff OS.

I’m finally feeling better from my flu like sickness. Today was exactly 29 days sick...

I feel guilty with the amazing fall weather we’ve been having not being on the bike. It’s been a month since I rode. Hope to get out tomorrow.

OCC Bike Thread V14-8e52eb85-2d9a-45e3-8dd5-ababafa41ff2.jpg
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:11 AM.

Wanna ride bikes?
    29 days!? That sucks.

Go pedal, it will heal you.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

TOP TIER LURKER
    I’m finally feeling better from my flu like sickness. Today was exactly 29 days sick...
    Hmmm, 29 days sick... it's a omen...

I see the number "29" in your future, where bikes are concerned.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    Hmmm, 29 days sick... it's a omen...

I see the number "29" in your future, where bikes are concerned.
    ^ I see what ya did there.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

NDD
    mtbr member
    Damn DJ you been to a doctor?
    dang

Damn DJ you been to a doctor?
    Yep, I went 7 days in. I was desperate to see my regular doctor but she was booked for 3 days. They hooked me up with one that was learning. He said it wasn’t the the flu and wouldn’t prescribe an antibiotic. He said it was a viral infection and to just ride it out. He prescribed me cough syrup with Codeine. I went through two prescriptions of that in 5 days. Never fixed it. So there I was riding it out instead of riding.

I missed two days of work. Went back for a day then missed another day of work. Three sick days total but I worked through most of this whole sickness.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Yep, I went 7 days in. I was desperate to see my regular doctor but she was booked for 3 days. They hooked me up with one that was learning. He said it wasn’t the the flu and wouldn’t prescribe an antibiotic. He said it was a viral infection and to just ride it out. He prescribed me cough syrup with Codeine. I went through two prescriptions of that in 5 days. Never fixed it. So there I was riding it out instead of riding.

I missed two days of work. Went back for a day then missed another day of work. Three sick days total but I worked through most of this whole sickness.
    To be fair antibiotics wouldn't work for the flu since it's a virus. They should've given them to you so you could feel better in a different way.

Way to tough it out!
    dang

That sucks DJ. I'll bet that's some choice Fall riding weather you're missing.
    — Groucho Marx

😡refer to the photo above.

A waste of time it is is
    😡refer to the photo above.
    Don't you need to wait for the water level to drop a bit?

refer to the photo above.
    Damn, I really hit the

Name:  51714581-skim-word-on-keyboard-button.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  28.8 KB

on that one.
    — Groucho Marx

Don't you need to wait for the water level to drop a bit?

Look on the left of that photo on top of the ridge. A nice fire road just waiting for rip roaring good time bicycle to rip down it.

mtbr member
    I've had a lingering cold of sorts for some time as well, 20 days or so, the last 12 or so it has been minimal, but just a little stuffed up and not quite right. Sometimes colds just take time to GTFO.

mtbr member
    "New" bike pic! Here it is on the highest natural point of manhattan,

Strava claims I had it up to 42 MPH on Sunday, I was intentionally bombing one hill as fast as I could and had 3rd gear totally spun out, and I may have actually broken 40 as these come geared a bit on the tall side. My old one had steel rims, this one is new enough to have Aluminum rims, nice upgrade for sure...

NDD
    mtbr member
    Jeez way to be a friggin monster on a folding bike.
    dang

Jeez way to be a friggin monster on a folding bike.
    Lol
    No kidding! That bike has never seen such speed and miles. Good stuff Jack.

Fail!

Try that on a folding bike.
    — Groucho Marx

Try that on a folding bike.
    Lol
    That’s one way to make a folding bike.

Go check out the video I posted in “the motorcycle thread”.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Fail!

This is why crashing gracefully is maybe the most important skill to have on a bike.
    dang

Wanna ride bikes?
    This is why crashing gracefully is maybe the most important skill to have on a bike.
    You think you could crash better than that guy on that ramp?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

NDD
    mtbr member
    You think you could crash better than that guy on that ramp?
    Hell no he crashed like a friggin pro (because e is one). Just saying it's a good demonstration.
    dang

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ just checking. I was hoping you would show him up by doing it on Jacks folding bike, now that would be badass.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

NDD
    mtbr member
    ^ just checking. I was hoping you would show him up by doing it on Jacks folding bike, now that would be badass.
    Look I'm just saying if I tried to recreate that crash, none of y'all would ever hear about it from me. You might see the news headline about the dead guy on a bike tho.
    dang

The very definition of a ‘Flyin W.

Cycologist
    ^ just checking. I was hoping you would show him up by doing it on Jacks folding bike. Once you leave the ramp, fold the bike up midair and then unfold it for the landing. Now that would be badass.
    Expanded on it for you.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Expanded on it for you.
    While crafting a wooden totem and doing long division?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Extra short wheelbase for assured carnage!

Wanna ride bikes?
    Extra short wheelbase for assured carnage!
    But if he pulled it off... he'd be a shoo-in at the local circus.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    But if he pulled it off... he'd be a shoo-in at the local circus.
    So, I know a person that saves animals from laboratories, well, actually saves them from any manner of unfortunate situation, so she was talking with some people in France that do the same thing, and they mentioned that they got a bear out of a circus and it now lives its life at a sanctuary. I asked if she thought the bear maybe missed it's bicycle, she didn't think it was funny, but I'm kinda serious.

I read an article many years ago about a skateboarding chimp, and it just liked to skateboard, it would skateboard without anyone prompting it to do so, it skated simply because it was fun. In light of that I can make at least a little bit of an argument that the bear might like riding its bike in the same way. Thoughts?

Wanna ride bikes?
    she didn't think it was funny, but I'm kinda serious.
    Bahaha, I know.

I read an article many years ago about a skateboarding chimp, and it just liked to skateboard, it would skateboard without anyone prompting it to do so, it skated simply because it was fun. In light of that I can make at least a little bit of an argument that the bear might like riding its bike in the same way. Thoughts?
    Depends on the bear, depends on the bike. It's certainly plausible.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

NDD
    mtbr member
    So, I know a person that saves animals from laboratories, well, actually saves them from any manner of unfortunate situation, so she was talking with some people in France that do the same thing, and they mentioned that they got a bear out of a circus and it now lives its life at a sanctuary. I asked if she thought the bear maybe missed it's bicycle, she didn't think it was funny, but I'm kinda serious.

What I want to know is what happens at the skate park when a chimp comes in cruising around. Also how many beers do you keep in your cooler for a chimp?
    dang

OCC Bike Thread V14-4a360a4b-0e90-4d99-9174-14a87f389351.jpg

Cycologist
    I had a late afternoon doctor's appointment today so I decided I would go bike riding rather than go back to the office! Especially since I didn't get to ride last weekend and it looks like we're in for a rainy weekend and then I'll be going out of town next week. Got in 13-1/2 miles on the Unit. Looks like I might be able to get in a ride Sunday, I'll try to get in that gravel ride since the trails will be wet.

When I got to the trailhead, I got all geared up then realized I'd left my Camelbak at work. But that didn't stop me from riding and fortunately Summer has finally ended and it was 62 degrees when I started.

My guess is that the bear was treated so cruelly to get it to ride the bike, that it didn't find the experience positive. But who knows, maybe once it got the hang of it, he/she enjoyed it and now misses the bike.

mtbr member
    I bought some half SPD pedals for my folder, and I went to put them on today, only to find the pedals on the bike have 1/2" spindles :-( but it was a nice day so I rode 50 miles, in my flip flops... Nobody makes 1/2" spindle SPD pedals of course, you can get adapters to go from 1/2" to 9/16", but they of course make your pedal stick out a half inch further on each side, *sigh* Maybe I can have machinist friend turn the axles down and rethread for 1/2"???

I bought some half SPD pedals for my folder, and I went to put them on today, only to find the pedals on the bike have 1/2" spindles :-( but it was a nice day so I rode 50 miles, in my flip flops... Nobody makes 1/2" spindle SPD pedals of course, you can get adapters to go from 1/2" to 9/16", but they of course make your pedal stick out a half inch further on each side, *sigh* Maybe I can have machinist friend turn the axles down and rethread for 1/2"???
    Bummer, good idea though on having them turned though. I’m confused on your term “half SPD pedals”.

mtbr member
    One side of the pedal is a flat pedal and the other side is an SPD,

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One side of the pedal is a flat pedal and the other side is an SPD,

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Ahh..yes I knew they existed it just didn’t register when you called it that.

mtbr member
    Buddy says better to drill the crank and retap it, hmmm, it is a steel crank, not much material around the 1/2" hole, as it is, not sure I want to remove any...

Buddy says better to drill the crank and retap it, hmmm, it is a steel crank, not much material around the 1/2" hole, as it is, not sure I want to remove any...
    Well at least it’s steel. I definitely wouldn’t do that if were aluminum.

Wanna ride bikes?
    That was my thought. I wouldn't want to reduce the pedal spindle.

I'd probably replace the crank if that's an option? Can you post a pic of it?

Another alternative would be flat pedals with straps. (not toe clips)
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    I'd probably replace the crank if that's an option? Can you post a pic of it?
    It is a folding crank. I could go to a non folding crank but I would then have to remove a pedal to fold the bike, hmmm... The BB Is actually the large press in variety that was very common on BMX bikes in the 1980's, I imagine there is some way to put a square taper BB in there, but I haven't looked into it yet.

This bike is so so immaculate that I want to keep it stock as much as possible so I want to avoid a crank swap as the stock crank is so iconically Dahon. But I want me some SPD on there for getting max power to the rear wheel!!!

mtbr member

Wanna ride bikes?
    I wonder if they ever made 9/16 crank arms that would bolt in there? Check eBay or even Dahon?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Wanna ride bikes?
    I just googled it, seems this question has been asked many many times. Didn't see an obvious fix at a glance. Most conversations seemed to be on bikeforums.com
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

That is pretty sweet how the crank arm folds. That is what it does, right? Folds up so the pedal is inside the frame area.

Cycologist
    There is a folder forum on empty beer, I don't think it is very active though. Maybe post in there and see if the Dahon rep will reply.

You'd think there would be a market for SPDs to use on exercise/spin bikes, many of which have 1/2" threaded cranks.

I found a 2014 post on MTBR that said some seller on eBay would take Wellgos and grind down the spindle to 1/2".

https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-s...l#post11023867

Can't find anything by that seller. But at least there's precedent for doing it that way.
    — Groucho Marx

mtbr member
    You'd think there would be a market for SPDs to use on exercise/spin bikes, many of which have 1/2" threaded cranks.

I found a 2014 post on MTBR that said some seller on eBay would take Wellgos and grind down the spindle to 1/2".

https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-s...l#post11023867

Can't find anything by that seller. But at least there's precedent for doing it that way.
    I've been scheming up something along those lines, if I can pull the spindle out of the pedal so I can spin it in a drill to reduce the size from 9/16 to 1/2" with my bench grinder I'll be pretty stoked.

Upcyclist
    The difference between 1/2" and 9/16" is 1/16th of an inch, and that's 1/32" on each side of the hole, not a whole lot bigger really.

Seems like it would just be a matter of drilling out the threads and re-tapping.

I didn't read through this, but looks like it's legit info from a quick skim: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ks-9-16-a.html

One week, you out did yourself this time.

mtbr member
    The difference between 1/2" and 9/16" is 1/16th of an inch, and that's 1/32" on each side of the hole, not a whole lot bigger really.
    Certainly, but, there is so little metal around the pedal axle as it is, 1/32nd is a quarter of an 1/8th...

Wanna ride bikes?
    I went on a hunt, there's got to be something out there.

MKS makes adapters, and quick disconnect pedals, but doesn't look like they do a 1/2" clipless pedal. Could be a solution there though.

Wellgo, nothing.

Sunlite makes adapters, but widen Q factor. 21mm I think.

This was my other thought. Find a brand that uses the same axle for multiple pedals and just swap the spindle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4eekypG-wA

Otherwise I'm not coming up with much. A couple years ago (2014) it appears someone on Ebay was machining spindles on Wellgo's and reselling them but a quick search didn't turn up anything on there currently.

I didn't look into many of the folding bike specific products or websites. There may still be something out there? Or even an indoor exercise bike type thing?

Sorry, that's all I got.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Certainly, but, there is so little metal around the pedal axle as it is, 1/32nd is a quarter of an 1/8th...
    You need to swap the crank, Jack. Turning down the pedal spindle or tapping out the crank arm are both poor choices for your needs. It seems to me you'll likely to be out of town and far from help when the bike fails.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    You need to swap the crank, Jack. Turning down the pedal spindle or tapping out the crank arm are both poor choices for your needs. It seems to me you'll likely to be out of town and far from help when the bike fails.
    Not a concern as for Jacks normal rides he wouldn’t be much more than 90 miles away from civilization.

IMO the last thing you want to do is bore out and tap the crank arms if you want to keep the bike as stock as possible.

…you can get adapters to go from 1/2" to 9/16", but they of course make your pedal stick out a half inch further on each side, …
    I'm wondering how much of an issue this will be compared to your stance width on your other bikes. Just spit-balling, but if the Dahon cranks q-factor is a little narrower than your other bike cranks, and you get SPDs with the shortest spindle length possible, then that extra 1/2" on the adapters may not be a big deal?

Edit: You also might get a mm or 2 back with cleat adjustment.
    — Groucho Marx

Cycologist
    I'm thinking the same thing, give the adapters a try. Easily undoable to go back to original and won't change the appearance of the bike much.

mtbr member
    I'm leaning towards turning the pedal down to 1/2", I really can't see how that would fail, I mean the 1/2" spindles on the pedals on there now are in no danger of failing so why would a turned down and rethreaded 9/16" spindle fail?

IMO the last thing you want to do is bore out and tap the crank arms if you want to keep the bike as stock as possible.
    Drilling the crank really isn't how I want to proceed for many reasons!

I'm wondering how much of an issue this will be compared to your stance width on your other bikes. Just spit-balling, but if the Dahon cranks q-factor is a little narrower than your other bike cranks, and you get SPDs with the shortest spindle length possible, then that extra 1/2" on the adapters may not be a big deal?
    Good point, but the adapters are a bit sketchy looking, they do have a thin wall between the 9/16 female part and the 1/2" male part, I'd be more leary of that failing that if I made the 9/16" pedal into 1/2" pedals.

I'm thinking the same thing, give the adapters a try. Easily undoable to go back to original and won't change the appearance of the bike much.
    I just wish I was at home with all my tool at my disposal so I could deal with this better. I did buy some new skate shoes today so I can ride in those with the flats already on the bike as opposed to riding in flip flops, which was ok, but it is going to be getting kinda cold here soonish...

It did rain for 6 hours or so today, it was only supposed to be .15 inches, but it was much more than that which will **** my jobsite for another couple of days *sigh*, maybe I'll not be able to work much tomorrow so I can get a bike ride in that I was hoping to get in today

Wanna ride bikes?
    I'm leaning towards turning the pedal down to 1/2", I really can't see how that would fail, I mean the 1/2" spindles on the pedals on there now are in no danger of failing so why would a turned down and rethreaded 9/16" spindle fail?
    Perhaps the alloy or construction is different. A 1/2 pedal was designed to be 1/2 and has the appropriate amount of material where it's needed. Just a thought. #engineers

The pedal spacers are plenty safe, they've been around for a while. I actually know a guy who's 240lbs using them on a road bike. I don't think you'll out-torque him.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Perhaps the alloy or construction is different. A 1/2 pedal was designed to be 1/2 and has the appropriate amount of material where it's needed. Just a thought. #engineers
    No way a human can shear half inch thick steel with only a few inches of leverage!

I'm just going to ride in skateshoes with the stock pedals for now and sort it out when I get home and have all my tools handy.

Cycologist
    Headed out to the gravel loop in the up coming race this morning, hoping I would complete two loops and decide I had enough gas to be able to complete three. Didn't really work out that way, I was pretty wiped at the end of two laps. Thinking it over a few things occur to me:

Rained all day yesterday and through the night. The roads were very tire sucky (this occurred to me while I was riding!)
    I think I could run a bit higher pressure
    I didn't fuel very well, just a Clif bar between laps. Felt like a bonk at the end. Also didn't drink as much water as I probably should have, didn't even finish one bottle (temp around 60)
    I really think I need a smaller chainring. I found myself in the granny gear a lot, looking for a lower gear.

The course must run a slightly different route as I did 40 miles and the race is 51 (17 mile laps).

So, would all the above add up to getting me through the additional 11 miles? To be honest, I'm not sure it would. Other than feeling like I bonked at the very end, it was my legs giving out rather than my cardio. I think the smaller chainring would help with that. But the race is in three weeks and I'm going out of town this week and maybe the weekend before the race so I doubt I have time to get everything sorted.

I may just do the 17 mile race and push a faster pace. Seems short for a gravel ride but it is a fund raiser and would still be fun.

Cycologist
    Just checked the second race two weeks later that I was also considering. I thought they only had one distance but they have a "short course" that is 30 miles so that sounds easily doable.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Headed out to the gravel loop in the up coming race this morning, hoping I would complete two loops and decide I had enough gas to be able to complete three. Didn't really work out that way, I was pretty wiped at the end of two laps. Thinking it over a few things occur to me:

Rained all day yesterday and through the night. The roads were very tire sucky (this occurred to me while I was riding!)
    I think I could run a bit higher pressure
    I didn't fuel very well, just a Clif bar between laps. Felt like a bonk at the end. Also didn't drink as much water as I probably should have, didn't even finish one bottle (temp around 60)
    I really think I need a smaller chainring. I found myself in the granny gear a lot, looking for a lower gear.

The course must run a slightly different route as I did 40 miles and the race is 51 (17 mile laps).

So, would all the above add up to getting me through the additional 11 miles? To be honest, I'm not sure it would. Other than feeling like I bonked at the very end, it was my legs giving out rather than my cardio. I think the smaller chainring would help with that. But the race is in three weeks and I'm going out of town this week and maybe the weekend before the race so I doubt I have time to get everything sorted.

I may just do the 17 mile race and push a faster pace. Seems short for a gravel ride but it is a fund raiser and would still be fun.
    Endurance racing is one of my forte's, but you've asked a variety of questions that aren't quickly or easily answered. Here we go...

Can you make it? Yes, the mind is far weaker than the body. Your brain will quit long before your legs will. So there's that.

Nutrition is the most important thing, seriously, you need to fuel the body. EAT!! Tailwind in your drink bottle, SIS gels, Cliff Shot Blocks, Scratch is OK, but I prefer Tailwind. You can ride all day, and night, with nothing else. I like to break it up on longer races with water and real food, but that's personal preference.

Ideally you'd test these products in advance, but I wouldn't steer you wrong Mr. Chaz. I've helped many of my friends overcome their problems including bonking, cramping, nervous stomachs, you name it.

For nutrition- Tailwind, Shot Blocks, SIS gels.

From what I've read about your fitness you'll be just fine, but you need to pace yourself. Endurance pace is different than normal "race pace". Keep your legs out of the Red Zone.

If you want a more detailed analysis of your gearing I'll need more details. What bike, chainring, cassette range, tire size, How much time did it take to do 1 lap and/or 40 miles? etc.

You need to eat and drink every 45-60 minutes even if you're not craving it. It won't hurt you, and you're carrying it anyway (if you're well prepared), so chow it down.

Your most recent experience is a perfect example of being under nutritioned. You barely got by mostly relying on your body's reserves only drinking a little water and one bar. By the end you were spent, no surprise.

50 gravel miles is not a big ask honestly and should be easily manageable for you with good nutrition. Even at a healthy pace.

Go for the full corse category, you can do it, just feed your body and keep your mind in a healthy place. Remember, it's for fun, enjoy it.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

NDD
    mtbr member
    Chaz sounds like you did what I did. Had enough food and water to get you through so much time, but not enough. I imagine if you'd even had something simple like a banana and Gatorade you'd feel almost back to normal in a matter of 20 minutes. The good thing is you did this before the actual event! You should heed all of OneSpeed's advice. I'm not an expert, just an overly analytical person that rides bikes.

Of course it's an easy mistake to make, especially when you transfer from road to gravel or the actual course is harder than anything you have to train on. You've found that a good gravel route in bad conditions will absolutely suck the soul right out of your legs, and thats honestly the best part. Going up an 18% grade on any type of slushy gravel will wear you down. What kinda total climbing are you looking at on this ride?
    dang

Wanna ride bikes?
    NDD, the only thing I have to point out is the Gatorade comment. It is hands down the worst sports drink on the market, period. Never, ever drink it. Ever. It is full of crap and causes gut rot. Just google it if you want.

OCC Bike Thread V14-screen-shot-2019-10-20-11.42.13-pm.png
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Upcyclist
    Not a concern as for Jacks normal rides he wouldn’t be much more than 90 miles away from civilization.
    For the record I lol'd at this.

NDD
    mtbr member
    NDD, the only thing I have to point out is the Gatorade comment. It is hands down the worst sports drink on the market, period. Never, ever drink it. Ever. It is full of crap and causes gut rot. Just google it if you want.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 11.42.13 PM.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	1287797
    You're right, I don't actually consider it to really be a good sports drink. It's so sugary - basically soda without carbonation. I was just thinking about things that might be supplied by an event if you were relying on that instead of having all of your own stuff. In this case it'd also be better to dilute that sugary mess of a drink (like maybe 6-8 ounces of watered down drink just to get carbs). In a pinch, doing this and having a piece of fruit would be better than nothing?
    dang

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ don't put yourself in a pinch, be prepared.

Solid foods are good, and an apple won't kill you, but you don't want too much fiber during a long effort, or the night before. It's hard on the digestive system. Stick with carbs and bananas, and a bit of protein if you like. Salty or spicy foods help keep cramps at bay if you're sweating a lot. Jerkey is good.

I'm a big fan of peanut butter and honey sandwiches. It's got everything you need.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    I know that there's little chance of the spindles shearing off. I guess I question what kind of stress is introduced when re-machining the parts.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

NDD
    mtbr member
    100% agree, but if Chaz is even one tenth as forgetful or perpetually unprepared as I am, less than ideal alternatives have to be on the table.

Also peanut butter and honey sandwiches are probably the ideal food for just every day. I like the natural stuff, except that it's so dang runny. Is that an item you carry with you on a long effort?
    dang

Wanna ride bikes?
    Yup. I also like RX bars, particularly the salty chocolate ones, but they're chewy and hard to choke down during a race.

Which brings us back to the race day fuels. Tailwind, SIS, and Shotblocks.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

One thing that gets me through really long backpacking days (10 hours, 25 miles) that I also have used for long bike rides, is maltodextrin powder mixed with water and a little table salt + "Lo salt" (which has potassium). Squirt in a little sugar-free syrup like Mio, if you don't like something that tastes like sweat.

200-400 calories per bottle depending on the activity. I try to meter it into my body over 4 hours. This is in addition to normal water intake, and also any solid foods.

Suggestion for PB&H(oney) sandwich: let the bread absorb the honey a bit before you slap it together with the PB side (otherwise some leaks out the sides). Inner wrap it with wax paper, then wrap with foil, then put it in a ziploc. Not many things suck worse than honey leaking into your hydro pack or feed bag — or your backpack in bear country!

Also, substitute toasted Belgian waffles for bread. FTW!
    — Groucho Marx

mtbr member
    One thing that gets me through really long backpacking days (10 hours, 25 miles) that I also have used for long bike rides, is maltodextrin powder mixed with water and a little table salt + "Lo salt" (which has potassium). Squirt in a little sugar-free syrup like Mio, if you don't like something that tastes like sweat.

200-400 calories per bottle depending on the activity. I try to meter it into my body over 4 hours. This is in addition to normal water intake, and also any solid foods.

Suggestion for PB&H(oney) sandwich: let the bread absorb the honey a bit before you slap it together with the PB side (otherwise some leaks out the sides). Inner wrap it with wax paper, then wrap with foil, then put it in a ziploc. Not many things suck worse than honey leaking into your hydro pack or feed bag — or your backpack in bear country!

Also, substitute toasted Belgian waffles for bread. FTW!
    We settled on PB and strawberry jam on lightly toasted English muffins back when we did long days out.

Anyone else supplement with Sports Legs?
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Wanna ride bikes?
    Yeah sometimes, it's pretty harmless and maybe helps keep the burn at bay a little longer.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

We settled on PB and strawberry jam on lightly toasted English muffins back when we did long days out.
    Yep, English muffins are great. Stuff sticks to it really good.

I've substituted Gu berry-flavored energy gels with caffeine for regular jam. "Turbo PB&J."

This year I discovered Lenny & Larry's Complete cookies. They're great for snacking on the go or for (almost) a complete meal.
    — Groucho Marx

Cycologist
    Endurance racing is one of my forte's, but you've asked a variety of questions that aren't quickly or easily answered. Here we go...

Can you make it? Yes, the mind is far weaker than the body. Your brain will quit long before your legs will. So there's that.

Nutrition is the most important thing, seriously, you need to fuel the body. EAT!! Tailwind in your drink bottle, SIS gels, Cliff Shot Blocks, Scratch is OK, but I prefer Tailwind. You can ride all day, and night, with nothing else. I like to break it up on longer races with water and real food, but that's personal preference.

Ideally you'd test these products in advance, but I wouldn't steer you wrong Mr. Chaz. I've helped many of my friends overcome their problems including bonking, cramping, nervous stomachs, you name it.

For nutrition- Tailwind, Shot Blocks, SIS gels.
    Yes, I should know better. I used to do sprint triathlons and used gels and Shot Blocks, never had any issues. I actually had another Clif bar with me that I planned to take a break and eat. A guy on a plus mtb passed me and I noticed a bottle mounted on his fork so I sped up and caught him to see what he was riding. It was a Jones. We talked a bit then I left him behind. We yo-yo'ed a bit then rode together most of the rest of the way talking. He's going to do the 51 mile distance. Ended up, we both worked at the headquarters of the same company, but at different times. Then I realized riding with him was really a faster pace than I would have been going but by then, we were nearing the end so I never stopped for that rest and Clif bar. I know, gotta ride my race and not someone else's!

Thanks, I will consider Tailwind. Thinking I might take a bunch of fig newtons I can snack on and maybe a few gels or Shot Blocks. There will be an aid station at the start/end and midway point (of the 17 mile loop) so that will be a good reminder of when to eat. They may even have bananas, I can ask.

From what I've read about your fitness you'll be just fine, but you need to pace yourself. Endurance pace is different than normal "race pace". Keep your legs out of the Red Zone.
    There is a six hour cut-off so I guess they expect stragglers so I should have plenty of time.

If you want a more detailed analysis of your gearing I'll need more details. What bike, chainring, cassette range, tire size, How much time did it take to do 1 lap and/or 40 miles? etc.
    I was on my Lemond Poprad. A previous owner upgraded it to Ultegra brifters and derailleurs, 9 speed. I think it may be the original cranks. The chainrings have been replaced but I think they match the original 39/53 and I'm not sure I can swap in a smaller ring. Cassette is probably in the range of the original 13-26 but I'll have to take a look at it when I get back home (I'm in Iowa until Thursday). So yeah, I don't have much of a granny spinning gear. Maybe I can get a cassette with a bigger cog.

Tires are 32cc Kenda Happy Mediums. I was running them at 60psi but I'm thinking I might try going up to 70psi. The roads are not new chunky gravel for the most part, mostly small particles that stuck to the tire due to being wet. Some areas of pea-size rock but I really wasn't having much issue with traction. Funny, this was actually the first real gravel ride I ever did on the bike several years ago and my first impression was how low the traction was but I've gotten very comfortable with being a bit drifty.

My average speed for the 40 miles was 11.2. I think I was just under 13 on the first lap, though.

You need to eat and drink every 45-60 minutes even if you're not craving it. It won't hurt you, and you're carrying it anyway (if you're well prepared), so chow it down.
    Yeah, I'm going to have to force myself to do that. I'm used to being hot and sweaty and it throws me when riding in cooler weather and lower humidity.

Your most recent experience is a perfect example of being under nutritioned. You barely got by mostly relying on your body's reserves only drinking a little water and one bar. By the end you were spent, no surprise.

50 gravel miles is not a big ask honestly and should be easily manageable for you with good nutrition. Even at a healthy pace.

Go for the full corse category, you can do it, just feed your body and keep your mind in a healthy place. Remember, it's for fun, enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks OneSpeed, NDD and tor. It's more of a fund raiser than a serious event so I'm thinking I will do the full 51. If I can, I may give it a go again next weekend with proper fuel. Looks like registration stays open until the event as I don't think they are giving out t-shirts that they have order. But there is beer afterwards!

NDD
    mtbr member
    Thank goodness there's beer afterwards. On my last ride I registered too late to get a medium t-shirt (they were out) and got done with the ride too late to get something from the apparently only two small kegs of craft brew they had. After a ride like that a can of regional non-light swill will do (i.e. Stag for anyone unfortunate enough to be close to St. Louis or basically PBR for anyone in the eastern US), don't really need craft.

However people were selling barbecue sliders, and you know, I had to ignore the weird Christian branding for their food company, but it was actually some god damn (!?!?!) good barbecue. And that's another thing, the insistence on praying before every big group ride in this area. A bit strange for me. That's another option we left out though, when you get tired and don't have anything, speak in tongues.

(disclaimer I ain't even trying to be a way this is a joke, gimme a break)
    dang

Wanna ride bikes?
    I was on my Lemond Poprad. A previous owner upgraded it to Ultegra brifters and derailleurs, 9 speed. I think it may be the original cranks. The chainrings have been replaced but I think they match the original 39/53 and I'm not sure I can swap in a smaller ring. Cassette is probably in the range of the original 13-26 but I'll have to take a look at it when I get back home (I'm in Iowa until Thursday). So yeah, I don't have much of a granny spinning gear. Maybe I can get a cassette with a bigger cog.
    Yeah, that is a 130BCD road crank, 39t is the smallest you can get on there. You could pretty easily swap out those crank arms for a 110bcd crank with 50/34 chainrings. Traditional cross gearing uses 36/46. You can buy Ultegra crank arms on eBay cheap, ~$40-60, just make sure which BB interface your current BB uses. Octalink v1/v2, square taper, etc.

The cassette swap may also be an option, a quick search shows 12-36 or 11-32 is an option, but you'll need to confirm your derailleur is compatible with either the 11t small cog and/or the 32/36t big one. Is your derailleur a short cage or medium?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    I didn't fuel very well, just a Clif bar between laps.

Felt like a bonk at the end. I did 40 miles and the race is 51 (17 mile laps).
    As already confirmed, you didn't eat enough!

Generally, if you don't feel well on the bike, you need to eat more, eating more will rarely make you feel worse.

Suggestion for PB&H(oney) sandwich: let the bread absorb the honey a bit before you slap it together
    I used to make PB&H with 2 pieces of toast, the honey soaked into the toast better than bread, and then when it cools it just gets awesome.

I'll take them on centuries, I think they help, but kind of hard to say, maybe its placebo? I take the Hammer "endurolytes extreme" as well for centuries, I really hammered the shit out of myself on one ride earlier this summer and had absolutely zero cramping which I credit to the endurolytes.