OCC Bike Thread V14 - Page 78- Mtbr.com
Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 28687475767778
Results 15,401 to 15,526 of 15526
    mtbr member
    Ha! I just remembered that the steer tube on that fork was too short, so the lock nut wouldn't fit on it, so I just used red loctite and supn the upper race on till it was adjusted right and let it sit overnight...

NDD
    mtbr member
    Dude that was almost heart warming.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk
    dang

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude that was almost heart warming.
    The bit about the red loctite holding the headset on the fork? ;-)

So, my sweet ass resto mod 3 speed that I rode Around lake tahoe, the 3 speed shifter that is on that bike is the 3 speed shifter that came off this original Hercules of mine, so I've been using that shifter for 28 years :-)

mtbr member
    I posted this pic already, but, back in the summer of 94 I lived in Squaw valley and I commuted the bike path to Tahoe city and back along the Truckee river on my blue 3 speed back then, this pic is of the shifter from that bike on my "new" sweet ass resto mod 3 speed, on the same bike trail where I used to use that same shifter, but back in 94 that shifter was on the Hercules that is now a 7 speed,

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    Tonight I pulled down the bicycle that I have owned longer than any other bicycle in my stable, and gave it a quick tune up, I haven't ridden it in maybe 8 years or so. Its an old Hercules 3 speed frame with a Sachs super 7 internally geared hub in the back of it, with a Koski MTB fork from the mid 90's in the front of it, that I got from the dump here in Idaho, with a 27" wheel on the back I built around the 7 speed hub, with a 700c wheel up front, I had a Mafac center pull brake on the front, but I robbed it for my tall bike, but, the tall bike is getting disc brakes so I'll be able to put the Mafac back on this bike.

As a kid I worked in a local bike shop, we had a rental fleet that was half chrome mongoose mountain bikes, and half old three speeds that had the original hubs, and lightweight 27" rims with Specialized tri-cross tires on them, there were pretty sweet bikes all in all. So, when I went off to college the shop owner told me I could pick one of them to take with me, the bike I picked, is this bike.

All in all I wish I would have not put the 7 speed wheel in the back of it, as the bike kind of lost its soul when I did that, but I do have a thing for sturmey archer 3 speeds, I also removed the cotter pin cranks and put a square taper BB in it, that lightened it up a bunch...

Back in 1994 I worked at "the old spaghetti factory" in Riverside california, one night my room mates and I were having a party, we got a keg of Mickey's, I was working that night, so when I got off work, I got on my Hercules (was still a 3 speed then) and proceeded to try to twist the cranks off the bike to get home before the keg got hit too hard. I was fit then too, riding 30+ miles a day between 2 jobs and skatebaording all the damn time too, so I was really flying on my way home... And I got pulled over by a cop, they came at me kinda pissed off and on high alert, uhhh... It turns out somebody had robbed a convenience store nearby and fled on a blue 10 speed, my bike was blue too... I pointed out that my bike was a 3 speed, the cop didn't seem to care, but just then his radio crackled and another cop had apprehended the perp a few blocks away, I was free, to go, I hauled ass out of there, to the keg of Mickeyís.
    Funny story Jack. Funny how a description do a 10 speed back in the day could be confused by the mere mortal for any bike with drop bars.

I have many fond memories of ďThe Old Spaghetti FactoryĒ. A long time 10 year relationship X of mine and I enjoyed many a dinner there as one of our go to places in downtown San Diego. How could you beat a plate of spaghetti with bread salad and an Italian Spumone ice cream for dessert. All for $7 and change in the 1990ís. Add in drinks of course. Love that place. In an old historic building with old world decor. Unfortunately the original one we went to closed down in 2005.

Out of curiosity i just googled that location.

Surprisingly it was so popular in downtown SD that it was reopened in 2009 in the same location across from the convention center. Highly recommended if any of you ever hit SD downtown. Iím sure The One Ring can vouch for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Upcyclist
    back in the summer of 94 I lived in Squaw valley
    My parents took my friend and I up there in 90 or 91, maybe it was on spring break, I feel in love with the place!

I think my friend was riding a Sims Shredder and I was on a Craig Kelly Mystery Air, lol!
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send chazpat cookies.

the discerning hooligan
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    Wooo WOOOO!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    My parents took my friend and I up there in 90 or 91, maybe it was on spring break, I feel in love with the place!

I think my friend was riding a Sims Shredder and I was on a Craig Kelly Mystery Air, lol!
    That craig kelly is probably worth a bit if you still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Funny story Jack. Funny how a description do a 10 speed back in the day could be confused by the mere mortal for any bike with drop bars.
    That 3 speed had bull moose MTB bars on it, I think it was the skiny tires that got it classified as a "10 speed".

NDD
    mtbr member
    Yeah those boards are selling for some $$$$

Extreme example: https://www.ebay.com/i/192565008842?...e09b7dffec589b

dang

mtbr member
    And my thunderbolt grease slapper has a crank that is a bit bent, I had forgotten about that, totally rideable, just a bit annoying... I have a replacement though.

mtbr member
    GPS error in your favor, collect one KOM.

So, that brutal steep ride in did in the sierra foothills a few days back, one of the DH segments I rode didn't register, the longest baddest one, so I emailed strava about it, and they were able to make it show up, and I now have the KOM, but I'm quite skeptical that I actually got it.

I've ridden enough road descents and seen where I stack up and know how hard to have to go to get anywhere near the top ten, and I wasn't pushing as hard as that on this descent as the road was a bit dirty, I had my bike "move over" 2-3 inches on a couple of corners at ~35 MPH due to crap on the road, so I was not really putting the screws to it. I emailed them back to see if they can figure out where the error is, but for now, I have a faux KOM

4.9 miles with 2200' of descent.

the discerning hooligan
    One of the better swap meets was today....scored some of the parts I'll need for the bullwinkle build plus a super ratty BSA. I brought out the Raleigh Sprite path-racer to cruise the event and was quite shocked by the notice she got floating in the sea of vintage American chrome.

Yes, Jack...I'll get a picture of the BSA for you.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Yes, Jack...I'll get a picture of the BSA for you.
    Sweet!!!!

I wish I lived in an area with enough people and old bikes around for such an event to occur!

I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Good single speed ride around nearby neighborhoods and the park tonight. 16 miles and just shy of 900' of climbing. Hit some longer mild climbs trying to build my stamina for uphill sections without gears. Kinda burned myself out on the last one, but that's ok because right before that I got 4 seconds away from getting KOM in a short punchy climb, clearing the 0.1 mile, 8% grade molehill in 22 seconds. It helps that you can drop in from a downhill section and once you turn into it there's a short downhill for about 20 feet, but spinning that fast while trying to fight gravity is exhausting. Once I actually start working on my cardio and lose the 20lbs I want to lose, that'll be easier, and I'll maybe be the supreme victor.

Not much but I had to cook the next few nights dinner and mow after work. My wife found a chicken of the woods mushroom at work last week and I cooked it up with onions, garlic, garbanzo beans, bell pepper, and rice seasoned with some curry paste I got from Aldi and a couple extra things. I regret not adding bay leaf but all in all a pretty darn good and healthy meal. Almost makes me not regret drinking a beer right now. Wait...that's why I'm fat now.

dang

Upcyclist
    I can tell by the tone of your post you had a good ride, NDD!

And dang, that sounds really good! I may have to try something like that, I forgot about garbanzo beans!

NDD
    mtbr member
    And dang, that sounds really good! I may have to try something like that, I forgot about garbanzo beans!
    Yeah and it's a super cheap way to have meals for the next two nights (three if I cook some chicken). Especially since the mushrooms were free!

dang

mtbr member
    Almost makes me not regret drinking a beer right now. Wait...that's why I'm fat now.
    I've been drinking on an "every other day" schedule for a bit now, I don't always stick to it, but it's certainly reduced my intake, and there's not much to keep track of, "did I drink yesterday?"

Somehow I've got a few extra pounds on me now which is a bit odd as I've been biking a lot, but I have been eating a lot too, guess I just need to eat fewer veggies...

Good to hear you got after it NDD.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I've been drinking on an "every other day" schedule for a bit now, I don't always stick to it, but it's certainly reduced my intake, and there's not much to keep track of, "did I drink yesterday?"

Somehow I've got a few extra pounds on me now which is a bit odd as I've been biking a lot, but I have been eating a lot too, guess I just need to eat fewer veggies...
    Yeah, I'm usually pretty good through the week, but it breaks down on the weekends, especially when I stay home and do house work. I also try not to keep it in the house because I'm basically a creature of habit and will have a couple or so every night until it's gone. I'm pretty irresponsible like that.

And DJ, thanks.

dang

the discerning hooligan
    Sweet!!!!

I wish I lived in an area with enough people and old bikes around for such an event to occur!
    Here you go, Jack.
    I was at that swap meet... | Rat Rod Bikes

BTW, the photo upload here has been hit or miss for me....easier to link it in.

And this might be fun for you too...Thunderbolt Grease Slapper | Rat Rod Bikes
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

the discerning hooligan
    Just a couple "out in the shop" pic.s for you from the white Raleigh job I just finished.

OCC Bike Thread V14-img_1849.jpg

OCC Bike Thread V14-img_1845.jpg

OCC Bike Thread V14-img_1836.jpg
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    So cool!

Are you going to leave the "patina" and just make thrown new cables at it? Or fully clean it up?

I'll check the TBGS latter, thanks!

the discerning hooligan
    So cool!

Are you going to leave the "patina" and just make thrown new cables at it? Or fully clean it up?

I'll check the TBGS latter, thanks!
    If I strip the Hercules to build it I'll probably just wash the frame and use a drying oil on it. I think it looks cool as hell with the level of rust right where it is ...and how cool is that head badge?! I have a super nice set of chrome shorty fenders I'd add to the rest of the cleaned up stuff and see what it's like.

You want the red frame when I'm done?
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    If I strip the Hercules to build it I'll probably just wash the frame and use a drying oil on it. I think it looks cool as hell with the level of rust right where it is ...and how cool is that head badge?!
    Excellent!

Yea, that head badge is great, I've only ever seen that logo on motorcycles before so it's cool to see it on a bike!

You want the red frame when I'm done?
    I'm already neck deep in bikes over here! Thanks though!

I did just score a sweet gary fisher frame from the dump here with a good crankset and derailleurs on it, you're not supposed to take stuff from the metal pile, but I park my van so they can see me do it, and they can't see the bike in the van when I leave, sooooo....

mtbr member
    I did spend a couple hours wrenching on this bike yesterday, have some more parts ready to swap, I did put a bigger front ring on it, and dissasembled and cleaned the Sturmey hub. It needs brake pads and could use a new rear brake cable and a new shifter cable, both of which I have. I'm headed to NYC for a few weeks for work and this Dahon folder will be my wheels while I am there.

Cycologist
    Harold, Net and myself got together this past weekend and rode Tanasi along the Ocoee River. It was sprinkling when we started and by the time we rode through a lot of wet vegetation, we were soaked. And then the downpour came, just as we were hitting the big descent back down. It was more like descending down a creek. I started leaning into a turn before my rear wheel had cleared a wooden bridge and went down. No harm but I had my riding glasses hanging from my jersey as they weren't useable in the rain and they came loose and a lens popped out. Had to do a bit of hunting to find it. It was fun.

A little bit more insider info on these guys:

Net's whole Lana Del Rey infatuation act; wellÖ it's not an act. Guess who we listened to on the way to and from the trail. And I didn't know you could get a LDR bike jersey, much less a full kit.

I fully expected Harold to do a lot of crashing as he got distracted by some plant life along the trail and shifted his focus off the trail and riding. That didn't happen.

Sorry, no pix as it was too wet. I posted some shots from the trails last weekend in the Did You Ride thread.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

Bikesexual
    Awesome!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    :thumbsup:

LOL, funny stuff Chaz thanks for sharing. Wondering why the other two havenít shared anything from or about that ride.

Cool old folding bike Jack.

Rabid Lana Fan
    The whole weekend was so low-key and unremarkable, it hardly felt worth mentioning.

Notable points: Chaz climbs like a mountain goat on crack, no surprises there.

I borrowed Chaz's Dad's reading glasses, and had some sort of reading accident, and broke them. (Chaz, the replacement went in the mail today)

About the tee shirt (not riding jersey)...see this video for an explanation.

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/424583/
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

since 4/10/2009
    Wondering why the other two havenít shared anything from or about that ride.
    I'm still traumatized by net's LDR obsession. net plays nothing but LDR in his truck.

Also, I made a wrong turn on a gravel road leaving chaz's cabin. Wound up in a confederate sympathizer's compound and it took me awhile to get back out. Cookie Monster gave me some terrible directions. That's the last time I trust him.

LOL

Got it...

OCC Bike Thread V14-cead2945-2f90-4a9b-913a-bebcd480f14f.jpg

mtbr member
    Getting wacky with bike selection.

Rode 15 miles with 1000' of climbing, I need to gear it down a bit, the 165mm cranks have more of an effect that I would have guessed. I geared up to 48 up front, but the stock 46 will be best I think.

I also want to modify the diagonal stem brace where it attaches to the frame, it moves too much, with an old steel front hub and a bit of welding I should be able to make one with virtually zero slop.

pic form ride, bike pedals nicely at 22 MH on mild downhills, and I did hit 35 coasting on one steeper section...

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    The whole weekend was so low-key and unremarkable, it hardly felt worth mentioning.
    That happened this last weekend? I guess I really won't be able to make it now, lol!

I have been in some weird transition phase, don't really know what's going on, but it seems like a lot!

That happened this last weekend? I guess I really won't be able to make it now, lol!

I have been in some weird transition phase, don't really know what's going on, but it seems like a lot!
    Thereís a lot of that transgender thing going around.

Upcyclist
    Thereís a lot of that transgender thing going around.
    You would know about that.

You would know about that.
    I must have misconstrued the word transition with transgender, sorry. Must be because thereís been a thread about it for a week or so in in General Discussion forum that I have yet to open.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I'm still traumatized by net's LDR obsession. net plays nothing but LDR in his truck.
    I would have been disappointed if he hadn't!

Also, I made a wrong turn on a gravel road leaving chaz's cabin. Wound up in a confederate sympathizer's compound and it took me awhile to get back out. Cookie Monster gave me some terrible directions. That's the last time I trust him.
    Maybe we learned something about Cookie Monster. What was it he said that had you laughing when you first started up the app?

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Harold, Net and myself got together this past weekend and rode Tanasi along the Ocoee River...
    Group ride! Sounds fun, sorry you got rained on but it makes for a better story when reading about it on the internet. Without the visual of you crashing it would have been a boring read.

After watching Nets video I've determined his vehicle has no rear view mirror, and he may be possessed like Poltergeist. His head does a full 360 then he keeps riding. Creepy.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

since 4/10/2009
    Maybe we learned something about Cookie Monster. What was it he said that had you laughing when you first started up the app?
    I don't remember, but he kept getting distracted by cookies, and also kept telling me "great driving". I don't think Cookie Monster is a very reliable navigator.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Group ride! Sounds fun, sorry you got rained on but it makes for a better story when reading about it on the internet. Without the visual of you crashing it would have been a boring read.
    We got dumped on, more accurately. I had left my gloves at the cabin in my bag, so I was already sketched by having poor grip. The trail really did become a river. Sliding on wet roots all over the place. Super sketchy. My bike was actually cleaner at the end of the ride than it was at the beginning.

FWIW, the same weather system was dumping at my house, and I had over 5" of rain by the time it moved out on Monday. I hear that some areas got over 12" of rain from the same system in the same amount of time.

A waste of time it is is
    You should be happy Harold, nothing better than slippery wet roots and then to have gone down as well, only to come back up and finish, well done

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    You should be happy Harold, nothing better than slippery wet roots and then to have gone down as well, only to come back up and finish, well done
    lol, I didn't actually crash. Dabbed a bunch climbing on the slippery roots. AFAIK, chaz is the only one who made contact with the dirt when he went down coming off the bridge.

Downcountry AF
    AFAIK, chaz is the only one who made contact with the dirt when he went down coming off the bridge.
    He's always trying to personify his avatar.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

A waste of time it is is
    Sorry Harold, I was too lazy to go back and check which one of you crashed.

Upcyclist
    This thing is kinda cool!

No steel option for OneSpeed, tho... https://bikerumor.com/2019/06/12/tru...mountain-bike/

Bikesexual

No steel option for OneSpeed, tho... https://bikerumor.com/2019/06/12/tru...mountain-bike/

Talk about monster-truck! But looks awesome. And no steel?
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Upcyclist
    It's like the polar opposite of Jack's folding bike, lol!

Hmmm..any bigger and the tires would be touching each other. One could power the other that way.

Downcountry AF

No steel option for OneSpeed, tho...
    These are so cool. They've gotten even better in the last couple years with dual crown forks that have been adapted.

The 36er (or Dirty Sixer) works great for tall people, honestly I don't think I'm anywhere near tall enough to even ride one at only 6'3". Shaq on the other hand looks great on one.

https://thebiglead.com/2016/12/01/sh...uite-apparent/

OCC Bike Thread V14-shaq-wanda.jpg

Much better than trying to put him on a Medium...

Name:  no.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  55.6 KB
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Downcountry AF
    Actually there's a few benefits to using aluminum on a frame this size. Not that I'm saying it's OK, it's not, just that for people who aren't OneSpeed it may be an acceptable material.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Upcyclist
    "it's not" - lol!

I like the color, it's almost Bianchi Celeste, which I really dig already.

Is it the wheels, or is that BB kinda low?

mtbr member
    It's like the polar opposite of Jack's folding bike, lol!
    Right!

I want one!

I need to have all the weird bikes in my stable!

But 5000 euros, heh, I won't have one anytime soon, or ever.

I will be interested to see where these go over the next few years though.

Iím digging the bars.

OCC Bike Thread V14-5595e0b2-26fe-4e0d-9995-9782ad54e31b.jpg

Actually the whole bike is badass.

mtbr member
    Ok, spent a while on my folding bike, first off the seat tube angle is super bad, measures at 70* AND the BB is on the front side of the seat tube so the "actual" is even worse, so I moved the seat WAY forward, now the "actual" seat tube angle is 73*, sweet.

I also replaced the rear brake cable and housing, the shift cable and housing, and put a new shifter on, well, its old, but in very good condition, and I put some new rubber on, rated to 100 PSI, the thing does seem to roll somewhat better, with 95 PSI in the rear, but I don't expect too much out of the 16" wheels in that regard. The front brake was actually kinda FUBAR'd but I had parts I robbed from another caliper brake in a parts box to get it tip top!

I also pulled the 165mm steel cranks off and replaced them with 175mm MTB cranks, the bad seat angle plus the short cranks was a really bad combo, I'm stoked to get both of those sorted! But I needed a longer BB spindle to make that work, and I had several to choose from, I have great chain line now, and I lost nearly a pound off the bike with the crank swap, BUT I will have to pull the drive side pedal when I fold the bike now as the original crank did fold to deal with the pedal, but that crank was also bent slightly so going to the MTB cranks got rid of that slight bend as well :-)

I did go back to a 46 tooth ring and I think that will work well all in all, its also in notably better shape than the 48 I had on there for yesterday's ride...

I also got a neat photo of the shadow of my tall bike this evening...

Downcountry AF
    ^ that long shadow really makes the BB look high in relation to the axles, cool pic.

The best hand made bike I've ever seen was at NAHBS two years ago made by Black Sheep. It was just incredible. 36er, Titanium, hand made ti fenders, integrated rack, just wild. Very cool to see in person.

OCC Bike Thread V14-img_6530.jpg

OCC Bike Thread V14-img_6567.jpg

OCC Bike Thread V14-img_6577.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Cycologist
    He's always trying to personify his avatar.
    I actually found a new avatar I was going to use a long time ago. Cropped and sized it in Photoshop. But then every time I start to replace it, I look at my existing one and think "but this one fits me so well" and I don't change it.

I recall kicking off a few trees to recover from some rooty rear wheel slides on my way down. I guess there wasn't anything to save me at the bridge.

One ring to mash them all
    I would die on wet roots. We just don't have those around here.
    If only stupidity could be weaponized at a level sufficient to self-destroy its host.

mtbr member
    ^ that long shadow really makes the BB look high in relation to the axles, cool pic.

The best hand made bike I've ever seen was at NAHBS two years ago made by Black Sheep. It was just incredible. 36er, Titanium, hand made ti fenders, integrated rack, just wild. Very cool to see in person.
    That is a work of art! Love it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6530.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	322.6 KB 
ID:	1257431

Name:	IMG_6567.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	293.5 KB 
ID:	1257433

Name:	IMG_6577.jpg 
Size:	331.3 KB 
ID:	1257435
    Yep, Black Sheep makes some serious art pieces. I see them around on occasion, not surprising seeing how Iím just 20 minutes from them.

Bikesexual
    Beautiful! That saddle seems a bit uncomfortable.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    I would die on wet roots. We just don't have those around here.
    they do keep you on your toes. better get comfortable with the bike suddenly moving sideways while you're going downhill at high speeds! sure teaches bike-body separation fast

MEGALOMANIAC

Name:	IMG_6530.jpg 
Size:	322.6 KB 
ID:	1257431

Name:	IMG_6567.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	293.5 KB 
ID:	1257433

Name:	IMG_6577.jpg 
Size:	331.3 KB 
ID:	1257435
    That thing is BADD ASS!!!
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

A waste of time it is is
    they do keep you on your toes. better get comfortable with the bike suddenly moving sideways while you're going downhill at high speeds! sure teaches bike-body separation fast
    I'd be afraid it would teach me bowel / body separation even faster

mtbr member

Nice two finger brake lever form.

mtbr member
    Nice two finger brake lever form.
    40+ year old crap french brakes that look cool require 2 fingers for anything resembling braking to occur!

But, as mentioned previously, the bike is getting proper disc brakes at some point this summer so it'll be one finger from then on out :-)

Upcyclist
    Looks flexy

mtbr member
    Aw hell no!

So, I actually ran a non scientific test, I rode my road bike up a Strava hill climb segment, I rode it as hard as I could, took me 7:20, I went on an easy ride the next day, then the day after that I rode my tall bike up the same segment and had 'er pinned, and it took me 7:50, only 8% slower, which I'm going to chalk up to the extra 14 pounds that the tall bike weighs. The thing actually put power to the rear wheel quite well.

mtbr member
    I made a box from 1/4" plywood to hold my backpack on the rack so I can stay a little cooler while riding around NYC.

Just one screw to hold it to the rack with a piece of plywood glued and nailed to the bottom of the box to keep it from moving. I did weld a fender washer to the back of the rack for this to work, works great, I'm looking forward to a non sweaty back while biking to and from work!

A waste of time it is is
    O look, a jack of all trades.

the discerning hooligan
    ... so I can stay a little cooler while riding around NYC.
    oh, you're as cool as they come, Jack.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Makes your folding bike look boxy.

mtbr member
    oh, you're as cool as they come, Jack.
    Aw shucks man

since 4/10/2009
    Yesterday I drove over the mountain to Johnson City, TN to check out the new Tannery Knob bike park right off the interstate in downtown.

It's not a huge park, but it's a cool spot. On a big hill/small mtn, the starting point is on top. Nice panoramic views. A top notch pump track up there. A bunch of trails that drop down off of the top. I rode all of them except 1 of the 2 black diamond trails. I was thinking about riding it, and started to drop in, but it's got a big, chunky rock waterfall and I was just tired enough that I let my line wander and wedged my front tire between two rocks and came dangerously close to doing a face plant on boulders. At that point, it got in my head and I decided to let it go until my next visit, and did another run on one of the blue trails instead.

While I was there, one of my riding buddies (who couldn't go to the grand opening because of his work schedule) invited me over to throw some meat on the grill and drink beers on his patio. Nice end to the day.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Man. Living where you do, you have a lot of cool riding options.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Man. Living where you do, you have a lot of cool riding options.
    Within a 1hr drive, there's so much to choose from. So far, the flow trails are all at the edge of that radius. But there's pretty much every sort of conceivable mtb riding available. Downhill parks, flow trails, xc trails, pump tracks, jump lines, backcountry singletrack. Love it.

Cycologist
    One benefit of our soaking ride last weekend was that it forced me to take everything out of my Camelbak. I discovered I was carrying two multi tools and five tire levers.

Finally got around to working on getting the Unit back on the trail. Removed the old tire and tube and cleaned the wheel at bit more and taped it. Tape wasn't looking all the good but it was sitting tight all around both edges. Mounted the new Ikon+ and put the tube back in, figured I'd pump it up and leave it overnight. This morning I was once again struck with "hey! I can ride it as it is now!" So I did.

Broke the bead and pulled the tube and the tape was looking a lot better. Installed the valve and reset the tire. Grabbed the pump and, the bead wouldn't set. Ok, crank up the compressor. I couldn't get the air nozzle on straight enough to really blast through the valve then it occurred to me to try just blasting between the tire and the rim (with my finger over the valve). It set most of the bead and then I was able to get enough air through the valve to close up the tire. Pumped it up with the hand pump and it all popped into place. Seems to be holding air well. I'll leave it overnight to see what it looks like in the morning and add the sealant through the valve tomorrow.

since 4/10/2009
    One benefit of our soaking ride last weekend was that it forced me to take everything out of my Camelbak.
    I should probably do that. Not so much to check what I'm carrying, but rather so I can clean my pack. I noticed that it had a sweaty funk about it when it was damp and drying off.

ď2 multi tools and 5 tire ironsĒ

You must have helped a fellow rider at one point and rode off with his multi tool and two of his tire irons. The other tire iron was in there from a previous theft.

Bikesexual
    I don't build the beautiful and interesting bikes you all build, but I wanted this bike, and it came out pretty nice.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

the discerning hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I don't build the beautiful and interesting bikes you all build, but I wanted this bike, and it came out pretty nice.
    I'm a bicycle libertarian....you should build exactly what you want to build. Ride your own ride. It's a very cool bike.

Also, as a photography guy... the composition of that shot is sort of amazing. Prize winning amazing....
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Downcountry AF
    I dig it! Surly CC (great color), bar end shifters, Silver rims, meaty tires, all good.

My only question is why is there only one picture, and why can't I blow it up?

I did a similar build last year, I love the genre. I'll build another one in the future.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Iím just going to give you a simple ďlikeĒ. Because thatís what comes to mind when I look at it.

Bikesexual
    I'm a bicycle libertarian....you should build exactly what you want to build. Ride your own ride. It's a very cool bike.

Also, as a photography guy... the composition of that shot is sort of amazing. Prize winning amazing....
    I agree, that was more of a compliment to guys' abilities.

Thanks! I love it!
    I dig it! Surly CC (great color), bar end shifters, Silver rims, meaty tires, all good.

My only question is why is there only one picture, and why can't I blow it up?

I did a similar build last year, I love the genre. I'll build another one in the future.
    Thanks OS. Lol on the pics. I will post more tomorrow after the shakedown ride. Not sure as to why you can't blow it up.

I battled with this, or the black frame but this is more me. It's such a classy bike, with so much versatility, and in my price range.

Btw I have some takeoffs that I will post in the classifieds. Already planning a trip to Ojai to ride Sulphur Mtn, which it's a good gravel grind.

Thanks again fellas.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Bikesexual
    Iím just going to give you a simple ďlikeĒ. Because thatís what comes to mind when I look at it.
    Lol fair enough
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Damn, old ninja post fell through the cracks again.

Lol fair enough
    Again...

Upcyclist
    N+1 strikes again! We can only wonder what's next, maybe a fat bike for the beach?

Looks good, Jcd!

Bikesexual
    N+1 strikes again! We can only wonder what's next, maybe a fat bike for the beach?

Looks good, Jcd!
    Thanks Korn,

This time, it's over for real. I sold that Gravity, and the GT plus a boat load of parts to finance a good chunk of it.

I promised what's her name I'm done. It was my last bike related purchase, so had to sneak it in. I'm pretty happy with my little all steel stable.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Downcountry AF
    Not sure as to why you can't blow it up.
    It's too low of a resolution photo to blow up. If you post a higher res image I (we) can click it and get the zoomed-in view. When oogling a new bike it's always best to be able to zoom in.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

NDD
    mtbr member
    Sick bike, jcd. Ride the hell out of it, but treat it nice.

No riding for me this weekend as of yet. Rainy day and prepping to paint walls and cut the baseboards. Tomorrow, I can maybe get a road ride in between thunderstorms if painting and installing baseboards goes well. If not, then boo. I'll make up for it with an long commute in to work on Monday. Except I'm seeing so much rain in the forecast, I'll maybe never be able to ride the trails around here again.
    dang

Upcyclist
    I've been painting a condo interior for the last 5 days, trying to bust it out as fast as possible, I'm tired and cranky, just ask DJ. It feels really hot and humid out with thunderstorms, I may not be able to ride for a few more days at least.

NDD, good luck with the bathroom, let me know if you have any paint/drywall questions.

NDD
    mtbr member
    NDD, good luck with the bathroom, let me know if you have any paint/drywall questions.
    Thanks, Korn, that is you primary profession, isn't it...

I'll let you know, but I think I've got the joint compound where it just needs to be sanded. Is there a trick for inside corners, at the top where two walls meet. I've never done one where I was like "oh this is gonna look sick" but the rest of the corner looks good, it's just that spot where you have to branch out in three directions, it gets kinda goopy/overapplied. Do I just have to be a beast at sanding?
    dang

Upcyclist
    Thanks, Korn, that is you primary profession, isn't it...

I'll let you know, but I think I've got the joint compound where it just needs to be sanded. Is there a trick for inside corners, at the top where two walls meet. I've never done one where I was like "oh this is gonna look sick" but the rest of the corner looks good, it's just that spot where you have to branch out in three directions, it gets kinda goopy/overapplied. Do I just have to be a beast at sanding?
    More painting than drywall, but yeah, I'm a "finisher".

I would run a 2-3" knife into the corner and scrape out as much chunk as possible, just try not to snag the tape, then sand. You can always add more mud, so don't worry about it too much.

Cool vid on taping inside corners, I need to work on this myself! https://youtu.be/xC94hjthMzA

NDD
    mtbr member
    Unofficial rep given to Kornfeld
    dang

Upcyclist
    3M medium grit sanding sponges are your friend.

What thread am I in?

I thought this was the Off Topic thread. This is a serious post, I had to scroll back up to see I opened up the bike thread and that I wasnít losing my mind for a change.

Cycologist

Cool vid on taping inside corners, I need to work on this myself! https://youtu.be/xC94hjthMzA
    That is smart, using the "lanes" rather than trying to do it all at once. I used a corner mud tool and only did one joint at a time.

Nice bike, JCD! Looking forward to the first ride report.

I not only like this bike I like your taste in home decor. That is all.

Cycologist
    Looks like one of your orange bikes has been working on it's tan.

the discerning hooligan
    The BSA is coming along. A set of vintage style tan tires are coming for it. Kind of looking for the Major Taylor vibe.

OCC Bike Thread V14-major.jpg

I'm trying to track down a coaster brake wheel to ditch the levers and cables, but I'm far from disappointed with how she sits already.

OCC Bike Thread V14-img_1892.jpg
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Thatís one fine vintage piece.

Bikesexual
    After only 2 rides in May and a quick one on Tuesday, it was nice to get out and try the new toy.

As expected, it's a beautiful ride. Saddle angle needs an adjustment, my boys were kind of cramped, as it's slightly tilted up.

Lower some tire pressure, and all else looks to be spot on.

Weather was perfectly overcast.

https://www.relive.cc/view/2455762814
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    My bike commute for my time here in New York will be excellent, its a paved rails to trails path, 4.5 miles for my commute, and all but a 1/4 mile is on bike path! I got lucky on this one!

and the path goes quite far north so there is plenty of asphalt to go pedalling on after work :-)

NDD
    mtbr member
    My bike commute for my time here in New York will be excellent, its a paved rails to trails path, 4.5 miles for my commute, and all but a 1/4 mile is on bike path! I got lucky on this one!

and the path goes quite far north so there is plenty of asphalt to go pedalling on after work :-)
    That's a good position to be in. I used to do 11 miles each way in grad school with about .5 miles of road (granted you get extra dumb driving at the uni) and the rest being rail trail. It could be monotonous or boring and if I was in a real rush I took busier roads, but monotonous and boring sounds just fine for a commute...

dang

the discerning hooligan

The weather looks like a bit of a crap shoot this week...sorry for that.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

And in NYC who knows what could be lurking in the foliage.

since 4/10/2009
    weather in my area looks like it's finally settling into the usual summer pattern of sunny and warm with popcorn thunderstorms in the afternoon/evenings. going to have to make an effort to switch my rides to early ones, since my "usual" is for afternoon rides.

last week, we had a stretch of temps that felt straight out of autumn. it was weird.

mtbr member
    Yea, looks like a lot of rain tomorrow. Today was a good productive day, especially for first day on site which is often a mess.

the discerning hooligan
    Yea, looks like a lot of rain tomorrow. Today was a good productive day, especially for first day on site which is often a mess.
    It was raining Euro bikes here today...These bikes keep following me home | Rat Rod Bikes

Couldn't get the bike pic.s to load, but here's the head badge from the Gazelle.

OCC Bike Thread V14-img_1895-2-.jpg
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

It was raining Euro bikes here today...These bikes keep following me home | Rat Rod Bikes
    Itís starting to get to the point where we may need to stage an intervention.

Congrats. on another set of beauties.

the discerning hooligan
    Itís starting to get to the point where we may need to stage an intervention.

Congrats. on another set of beauties.
    No, man...I can quit any time I want. I still had room on the rack for one more and money in my pocket when I drove away. I am getting one more tomorrow...well maybe 2 more...
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Lolololol

the discerning hooligan
    Lolololol
    I also got 2 complete French road bikes with lugged steel frames and smooth spinning wheels for less than the price of 1 ice-tech rotor. I'm actually starting to make a little money here.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    I also got 2 complete French road bikes with lugged steel frames and smooth spinning wheels for less than the price of 1 ice-tech rotor.
    Years ago (10?) I was telling a bike geek about my Dahon folding bike from 1986, he was totally intrigued, and asked how much I paid for it, I told him $80, hes was astonished, he said he pays more for a set of pedals...

Tonight I just put down 15 hard miles in the Bronx on that same bike, I've also ridden that bike in Alaska, and many, many places in between... I like having memories with my bikes, buying new "better" ones all the times makes this an unpossibility, but, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I did end up leaving Idaho with my Dahon geared 46/13, I did bring a 48 tooth chain ring with me and don't have to lengthen the chain to fit the 48, but I do have to adjust the brake shoes... I'll set the 48 up here soon, but may not have time till this weekend, All in all a 50 tooth would be boss and I could really put a hurt on some shit in 3rd gear, but I didn't have a 50 with 110mm BCD.

The 48 actually came off of an old bike from the mid 1990's that was given to me by a guy in Idaho, he grew up in the Sierra foothills in California, he is stupid fast downhill on an MTB. A few weeks after he gave me the bike so I could build weird bike stuff out of it I realized that bike had been ridden to hell and back, everything was worn out, bent, beat up, used, and abused, I had no idea about the history of that bike, so I asked him about it, and it turns out, it was him who had put all that hurt on that Marin "Pine Mountain", and it is the 48 tooth ring off that bike that I have with me here in NYC, yea, I'd be a shitty friend if I didn't slap that ring on and go try to twist the cranks off my folding bike...

mtbr member
    I swear I typed a response to this?!?!

Sweet bikes as always!

I'd love to rip that road bike around, but I can't quite get with DT shifters, bar end shifters would work for me I think, but I've never spent much time with them.

Bikesexual
    My CC has bar-end shifters, it's going to take some time to get used to them.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    I feel that Brifters are kinda geeky, but, damn it's hard to argue with their function... Bar end shifters seem better than DT shifters, but neither are what I'd consider great.

NDD
    mtbr member
    My CC has bar-end shifters, it's going to take some time to get used to them.
    My drop bar mtb has bar end shifters. Was worried about it at first, but you'll adjust. One concern was hitting it with my knee in a climb, which doesn't really happen if you maintain good form and don't turn into an inflatable tube man when excited or taxed. Actually they work surprisingly well and smoothly, but alo there are times it just isn't feasible to take your hand of the bar to shift, so mostly you learn to anticipate what gear to be in.

dang

Bikesexual
    My drop bar mtb has bar end shifters. Was worried about it at first, but you'll adjust. One concern was hitting it with my knee in a climb, which doesn't really happen if you maintain good form and don't turn into an inflatable tube man when excited or taxed. Actually they work surprisingly well and smoothly, but alo there are times it just isn't feasible to take your hand of the bar to shift, so mostly you learn to anticipate what gear to be in.

Lol did the knee thing already but I was off the bike. That's true on anticipating, totally went through that at one point.

I guess if you have a coaster brake, you adapt to that.

Two reasons I didn't go for Brifters:

a) felt like it took away from the bike.
    b) Brifters are expensive!!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

NDD
    mtbr member
    Lol did the knee thing already but I was off the bike. That's true on anticipating, totally went through that at one point.

I guess if you have a coaster brake, you adapt to that.

I totally get that, I actually like them now. On the road at least, if I'm wimping out on a hill, I don't bother with the indexed rear der, I just quickly rock the friction shift front der shifter towards the gear I need and it usually gets there (2 chainring makes this easy). Plus if things are Little off for some reason you can usually finesse it to be just right.

Also I kinda think bar end shifters look really good. Cheap is also a big factor. I wish that bike had mechanical disc brakes though (won't feel that way when loaded for touring), but I bought it used and it came with hydro, which have basically been flawless to this point. In need to replace the front tire on that one though, as t has a sidewall gash and doesn't want to hold air any longer. I bought the tire used for like $10 about 2+ years ago, so it's well worn. Actually damn I've been neglecting that bike in favor of the single speed. Gotta drop some time and money on it and get ready to hopefully do my first bike tour this fall. I'm thinking a mix of gravel and singletrack.

dang

One ring to mash them all

What a coinkydink. I read this the other day: In Defense of Bar-End Shifters

Extra relevant because Surly.
    If only stupidity could be weaponized at a level sufficient to self-destroy its host.

This thread has really shifted directions.

the discerning hooligan
    Down tube shifters were the standard on quality race bikes when I started riding. I will always associate them with the elegant bikes of the time...before the oversize aluminum tubing, aero cable routing, and clipless pedals... back when the term "clipless pedals" made sense because there were still way more bikes with clips and straps than there were without them. I also associate down tube shifters with speed. If you spent more time on the drops than the hoods, reaching down kept you in better balance. Running friction shifters is very much like driving a standard shift car. Once you know how, you know how and it doesn't go away. Then, when you've gotten used to whatever particular ride you've got, it all becomes intuitive and you never even notice when you're shifting.

I have brifters on my Scott Speedster CX (with over size tubes and clipless pedals) and they work nicely, but I almost never miss the performance when I'm on a vintage bike. Oddly, I'm one of the 0.2% of mountain bikers that really liked Shimano's dual control system, at least for general xc/ trail bikes, and still have the XT/cable version installed on my Pugsley.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 28687475767778