OCC Bike Thread V14 - Page 145- Mtbr.com
Page 145 of 146 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146 LastLast
Results 14,401 to 14,500 of 14524
    Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    No air, no sealant required.

Foam aint gonna leak out.
    It's like a life preserver, big foam donut.

I got all caught up on that video. Vittoria Air-Liner, I would like to try it if I could.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to accept my use of cookies.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I think you may be able to cram the 135 into the 130 without actually cold setting the frame, see if it has a little bit of flex, 2.5mm isn't much. I believe 130 is still the track bike standard, hence why the Surly hub is flip flop.
    I just realized all of the non-disc ultra new hubs are flip-flop. Probably only because they can be without that rotor in the way. I mean, regardless of spacing, it's still a very similar hub, or no?

Sounds like a fun ride, Chaz.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk
    dang

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Nice ride Chaz. Some serious numbers, good for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I think you may be able to cram the 135 into the 130 without actually cold setting the frame, see if it has a little bit of flex, 2.5mm isn't much. I believe 130 is still the track bike standard, hence why the Surly hub is flip flop.
    I think the old track standard is 120mm, that's what my track bike is. 130 is a road standard.

NDD, I've stuffed a 135 hub in a 130mm steel disc frame (because 130 disc hubs don't exist anymore. Apparently it was a thing for about 10 minutes).

The frame was fine with it (I wouldn't try it with an aluminum frame), but the dropouts didn't sit perfectly flat against the hub. So even if you cold set the rear triangle you should probably have the dropouts re-angled.

I can my SS cross bike this way for over a year, and I'm not gentle, but never experienced any negative effects. That bike was never going to be a long term commitment for me so I never bothered to do it right.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

the discerning hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    I just realized all of the non-disc ultra new hubs are flip-flop. Probably only because they can be without that rotor in the way. I mean, regardless of spacing, it's still a very similar hub, or no?
    It looks like the hubs are all alike. I have a double freewheel on a flip/flop hub that's working fine.

What's the bike?
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

NDD
    mtbr member
    Thanks for ther input, y'all. Just ordered a takeoff set of surly hubs that were never used for less than the price of one hub.

It's a 1991 Bridgestone MB-5, so not a fancy version, which is why I don't mind losing the drivetrain components, but is a pretty good cro-mo frame, even though it's one of the TIG welded Taiwanese produced models. Been fun riding it around for the last week.

dang

since 4/10/2009
    Rode a trail yesterday that had a good bit more rock than what I've ridden on my Pedalhead so far. Pretty sure I put Huck Norris to the test, and he delivered.

mtbr member
    I met up with Hawgzilla yesterday for a morning ride, it was a beautiful day out in the hills! 17 miles and a 2200' with around a dozen different species of wildflowers in bloom, some blazing blue skies too!

The Mustard is tall this year!

Not a ton of California Poppies on the ride, but there was one sizeable patch,

Good to see you two hooked up and on another perfect day in SoCal.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    MX racers have been using foam inserts for like 30 years, and thats foam only, no air or sealant.
    Yep, called a Bib Mousse, or just a mousse, they have great riding characteristics on a dirt bike, but I do feel they increase rolling resistance. When you instal them you cover them with lube so they can slip inside the tire, if you don't lube them they will heat up and breakdown super fast.

They also use tubeless systems.
    The "Tubliss" system is pretty rad, with a heavy carcass tire you can run zero PSI in dirt bike tires. Its basically a road bike tire that sits in the drop center of your rim, you put the dirt bike tire on over it and inflate the road bike tire and it presses the bead of the dirtbike tire out against the rim, and seals it, there is a second valve stem to then put air in the dirt bike tire, I had the Tubliss system on an older dirt bike, was great, made tire changes easier and you could run super low pressure.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Thinking about it, I guess I don't know why I want to rebuild the wheels with new hubs, except that they are almost 30 years old...I could just put a threaded freewheel in place of what I have on there...But that would be another way to shirk actually learning another skill...But it would be cheaper.
    dang

mtbr member
    I just ordered some 1 1/2" closed cell foam backer rod to make some DIY foam inserts. $22 to my door for four 6' pieces of foam, enough for 4 tires. I ordered from here, https://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=17487 They are 38mm in diameter, the guy in the video said he used 40mm. They also have 2" foam rod, 51mm in diameter. https://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=15597

Wanna ride bikes?
    Calling Picard. Please see post #12. https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...t-1101413.html
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    I met up with Hawgzilla yesterday for a morning ride, it was a beautiful day out in the hills! 17 miles and a 2200' with around a dozen different species of wildflowers in bloom, some blazing blue skies too!
    Where'd you guys ride, Cheeseboro?

That backer rod looks pretty good, can't wait to see how you do with that stuff! I was thinking about foam densities on my ride today, some of that stuff like the pipe insulation might be to weak, it might slice easily on a rim strike.

Thinking about it, I guess I don't know why I want to rebuild the wheels with new hubs, except that they are almost 30 years old...I could just put a threaded freewheel in place of what I have on there...But that would be another way to shirk actually learning another skill...But it would be cheaper.
    I wouldn't want to mess with 30yr old wheels, save the cheddar and slap the freewheel on there. You'll be surprised how easy wheel building is one day.

Still feeling like I'm in decent riding shape, I was charging the trail today, way faster than I've ridden it before, and all the "technical" spots were like speed bumps.

I heard a loud pop and my bottom dropped a bit, guess my saddle was a bit loose, or "Things that happen after you've been on a FS for a while". I need to work on my pedaling technique.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Korn, my position now is to leave and ride them as is until I can build wheels. Realized later it's actually a real cassette on there not a freewheel. The rims are solid, so I can't complain. Still really fun to ride but with these older bikes, I can't hello but recognize its more like riding on the bike and less like riding in it. Ya know?

Glad you got out and were feeling confident!

dang

MEGALOMANIAC
    Where'd you guys ride, Cheeseboro?
    Yes, Cheese Burrito, and we included China Flats. We were parked on Las Virgenes road so when were done dropping down the Sheep Corral DH, it was an easy cruise (no climbing) back out to the cars.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Cycologist
    OCC Bike Thread V14-cheseboro-clamp.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

MEGALOMANIAC
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cheseboro-clamp.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	1247103
    Are those T-101 bifocal lens frames?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OCC Bike Thread V14-acd-model-101.jpg  

Cycologist
    Just wondering why you guys named a trail after a clamp.

Upcyclist
    Korn, my position now is to leave and ride them as is until I can build wheels. Realized later it's actually a real cassette on there not a freewheel. The rims are solid, so I can't complain. Still really fun to ride but with these older bikes, I can't hello but recognize its more like riding on the bike and less like riding in it. Ya know?

Glad you got out and were feeling confident!
    Thanks!

Those older bikes are fun to rig up with cheap parts and remove drive train components to run ghetto SS, but that's about it. I'd probably take the cassette off and either get one of those SS spacer kits or rig one up like I did on my old Kona Lava Dome, I think I used some PVC for spacers there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    Yes, Cheese Burrito, and we included China Flats. We were parked on Las Virgenes road so when were done dropping down the Sheep Corral DH, it was an easy cruise (no climbing) back out to the cars.
    I think all that climbing I did out there is what's gotten me into better riding shape. I want to climb MOAR!!!

Did you notice a change in your voice with that seat position?

Rod
    mtbr member

The Mustard is tall this year!

Not a ton of California Poppies on the ride, but there was one sizeable patch,

Great ride report and pictures Jack.

Those are great photos. My brother sent me this shot from his ride yesterday in North County San Diego. Same SoCal spring scenery.

OCC Bike Thread V14-2cc0bfdb-3b29-4e02-9f9d-278fa29d346a.jpg

Wanna ride bikes?
    Bad news coming from the OneSpeed camp tonight. Another frame failure....
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Rabid Lana Fan
    daaaammmmm
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    which one?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    which one?
    My custom SS. I'm devastated. I just pulled it out for the first time this season to prep it for a ride and the drive side chainstay is cracked badly, same spot as the Wednesday a couple months ago.

I never expected to have a problem like this from a custom frame. it's not even 2 years old.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Bikesexual
    Bummer OS!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

since 4/10/2009
    My custom SS. I'm devastated. I just pulled it out for the first time this season to prep it for a ride and the drive side chainstay is cracked badly, same spot as the Wednesday a couple months ago.

I never expected to have a problem like this from a custom frame. it's not even 2 years old.
    Nooooooooooooo

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My condolences OneSpeed. Hopefully the framebuilder can put you at ease in time. That said, stop being so hard on your bikes. Mmmkay?
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

MEGALOMANIAC
    OS, sorry to hear of your loss.

But, we all know that nothing wears through frames and components like a SS and it's not like you can pedal one of those gently.

Pics please?

Sorry to hear OS. Thatís a hard lump to swallow.

Wanna ride bikes?
    This is no longer amusing. Really. I'm just super bummed. It's just so unexpected. Why couldn't I have found this in the fall? I would have had all winter to do something about it. AAHHHH.

This is from when I found it.
    OCC Bike Thread V14-img_8218.jpg

This is cleaned up with the cranks off.
    OCC Bike Thread V14-img_8221.jpg

This is from inside the chainstay.
    OCC Bike Thread V14-img_8224.jpg

It's cracked 2/3 of the way through. There's no going back, it needs to be completely replaced.

The timing just sucks. The trails are just drying out, first race is in 3 weeks...

I'm just frustrated that this keeps happening. I thought for sure this frame would be different.

And I know... It could be worse. Just feeling frustrated.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Yep, thatís a crack. >little dude scratching his head<

Rod
    mtbr member
    In better news, I survived the 45 mile SS race. Completed it in 3:12, which is roughly a 14mph avg. speed. It hurt.

Sorry to hear about your custom ride and I'm assuming it is your race bike. I hope it gets repaired soon.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    In better news, I survived the 45 mile SS race. Completed it in 3:12, which is roughly a 14mph avg. speed. It hurt. I haven't put out that much effort in years.
    This is the most fun thing I've heard all day, tell me more. What race? How much elevation? What motivated you to sign up for a 45 mile race this early in the season? Pics? Why are there not pics? And how big is your trophy?

Sorry to hear about your custom ride and I'm assuming it is your race bike. I hope it gets repaired soon.
    We'll see. It's not going to be cheap, or fast. Yes this is my short course race bike, but also my favorite solo ride bike, and first custom frame. Did I mention I'm super bummed?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Damn... thats the one with the sweet colors
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

NDD
    mtbr member
    R.I.P, Sorry to hear about the bike. Hopefully something works out for you.

Rod, that sounds like a hell of a ride. Awesome stuff.

dang

Wanna ride bikes?
    R.I.P, Sorry to hear about the bike.
    I'm not giving up that easy. I'm hoping to have the frame repaired. I've already contacted a local frame builder, he actually didn't have warm and fuzzy things to say, but I don't plan on retiring the frame yet... unlike the last one that had to be "field destroyed".

OCC Bike Thread V14-img_7987.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

NDD
    mtbr member
    Jesus, some luck!

dang

Wanna ride bikes?
    Jesus, some luck!
    Well it seems that I'm not unlucky, just stressing frames beyond what they're designed to handle. As one person put it "it's not a matter of if, but a matter of when". That's really disappointing if it's true.

I'm not sure that's true across the board though. The Surly warranty guy said he's never seen a Wednesday frame fail in that spot and that it's designed to handle a guy that's 300lbs. I'm only 205lbs, and he said I should be WAY in the clear, but I'm pretty "enthusiastic" as I like to say. I stand and power up most climbs. I'm just surprised that this keeps happening.

Hubs, bottom brackets, and cranks also used to fail on a regular basis. I'm slowly learning that I just need to spend more money on very high quality products (made in the USA which I'm OK with) in order to get a durable product.

I'm replacing my last non-made in the USA rear hub this week with a White Industries hub. That along with another angular contact ABEC 5 BB will get another bike back in service. Which is good cause apparently the Hei Hei will be seeing more action in the coming months.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Upcyclist
    I'm at a loss for words, Onespeed. Hope you get it sorted asap as usual, I know you will.

Cycologist
    Sorry, man, that's an ugly break.

mtbr member
    This is no longer amusing. Really. I'm just super bummed. It's just so unexpected. Why couldn't I have found this in the fall? I would have had all winter to do something about it. AAHHHH.

It's cracked 2/3 of the way through. There's no going back, it needs to be completely replaced.
    That frame can certainly be repaired, the only question is if it's worth the cost to you. Sucks that you only have 2 years on it and it needs notable repair :-(

In better news, I survived the 45 mile SS race. Completed it in 3:12, which is roughly a 14mph avg. speed. It hurt.

Thats some cranking! Especially in April!

Wanna ride bikes?
    Sorry, man, that's an ugly break.
    Remember that time you said I could borrow your bike if I ever needed it? I think now's the time. Thanks!
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

MEGALOMANIAC
    The SS guys out here are breaking parts and frames commonly enough. Seeing this does not surprise me. I know of a SS guru who can turn you on to the "tried and true " SS parts. That said, things still fail prematurely when put to the abuse of SS, comparatively.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Strange things on the trail this morning...

OCC Bike Thread V14-img_8232.jpg

OCC Bike Thread V14-img_8228.jpg

Random.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

NDD
    mtbr member
    Bitchin'! Don't have a cow, man.

dang

Look whatís strapped to the front number plate of my buddies bike. This was in 1991 when that show had just came out.

OCC Bike Thread V14-eefc7a5b-cf06-4878-85e3-a49c833462d5.jpeg

Upcyclist
    Bitchin'! Don't have a cow, man.
    Hey, Nefarious Doug Danger, I started a thread you may be interested in, it's all about home repair/improvements questions and such:

https://forums.mtbr.com/off-camber-o...k-1101362.html

I know, "Shop Talk" is probably not the greatest name for it...

NDD
    mtbr member
    Hey, Nefarious Doug Danger, I started a thread you may be interested in, it's all about home repair/improvements questions and such:

https://forums.mtbr.com/off-camber-o...k-1101362.html

I know, "Shop Talk" is probably not the greatest name for it...
    Right on, Korn. I'm going to doing bathroom repair all weekend so maybe I'll post before and after photos for a project called "how to make a 5' x 7' bathroom not feel like a closet. The previous homeowners did a bad job at that.

dang

One ring to mash them all
    Damn, KTSO!
    "Dread it, run from it. Destiny arrives all the same."
    ó Thanos

Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Damn, KTSO!
    Not sure if heís in the mood for ďawesome 80ísĒ music.

OCC Bike Thread V14-26455aae-8cc6-4984-80de-c993db47e6a3.jpg

Rod
    mtbr member
    Thanks guys.

Onespeed, the race wasn't planned. Sold my old redline monocog and got the giant in November. Friend said bring the new ss and do the race with me.

Didn't get much of a trophy, but had a good time.

On the upside, we ended up on some old jeep trails. Found a f150 abandoned from it getting stuck in the mud during the middle of the race. People were going / crashing into these massive mud pits.

The descent after this was pisgahish. Yeah, i just coined that word. Rock drops, roots, off camber, carnage, broken garmin/ wahoo mounts, wet, and fast. My favorite part of the race.

All the nue guys showed up so it was an insanely fast race. Their first race is next week. The national ultraendurance series is huge here.

Im in orange.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Upcyclist
    #87 is a monster!

Good stuff Rod, glad you had a good time!

Bikesexual
    #87 is a monster!

Lol! Fit AF!

Sounds like a good time Rod.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

NDD
    mtbr member
    #87 is a monster!

Pretty sure if 87 was 20 pounds lighter he'd have been a mile ahead. Geez Louise.

dang

Rod
    mtbr member
    Yeah, it was a blast chasing that guy around. He was the 2nd place ss and a monster on the bike.

Good stuff Rod, thanks for sharing. The other dude is not of this world.

Upcyclist
    Yeah, it was a blast chasing that guy around. He was the 2nd place ss and a monster on the bike.
    And you were right behind him in 3rd, nice work!

Wanna ride bikes?
    Cool, good race report. Sounds fun. Plus you made the podium.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

MEGALOMANIAC
    Thanks guys.

Onespeed, the race wasn't planned. Sold my old redline monocog and got the giant in November. Friend said bring the new ss and do the race with me.

Didn't get much of a trophy, but had a good time.

On the upside, we ended up on some old jeep trails. Found a f150 abandoned from it getting stuck in the mud during the middle of the race. People were going / crashing into these massive mud pits.

The descent after this was pisgahish. Yeah, i just coined that word. Rock drops, roots, off camber, carnage, broken garmin/ wahoo mounts, wet, and fast. My favorite part of the race.

All the nue guys showed up so it was an insanely fast race. Their first race is next week. The national ultraendurance series is huge here.

Im in orange.

Good going Rod!

#87 is a monster!
    Yeah, good promo material for that carbon fork.
    ó Thanos

mtbr member
    Put down 40 miles and 2300' on the road bike yesterday, I had all day, but my right calf was a bit sore so I took it easy. Calf is no worse today thankfully.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Put down 40 miles and 2300' on the road bike yesterday, I had all day, but my right calf was a bit sore so I took it easy. Calf is no worse today thankfully.
    Awesome jack. Way to get after it!

Wanna ride bikes?
    I rarely see a bulky guy like that that is fast. Usually they spend more time in the gym than they do on a bike. I don't know that I've ever come across one at a race.

Then again, I'm a bit of an outlier myself, on paper I should be good and slow, especially climbing but that's actually my strong suit.

Edit: Not that I'm calling you slow Rod, (I can't believe you let that guy beat you, wuss!) but seriously don't let it happen again. I'll cut you some slack for the lack of preparation I guess.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Maxxis cult follower
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Bummer OS!

JCD did someone else call you a douche in another thread? Who was it? The thread got closed and binned after that.
    From Ancient Times - Scarlet Skies Burn to Ash

Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    JCD did someone else call you a douche in another thread? Who was it? The thread got closed and binned after that.
    First rule of fight club is disclosure, give it up JCD. We'll get after it.

Good to hear you got out, Jack. How are you liking that new ride after some time on it?

Cycologist
    Remember that time you said I could borrow your bike if I ever needed it? I think now's the time. Thanks!
    Nope, don't remember that. Besides, you'd be uncomfortable on my mediums. Really, really uncomfortable. Like not comfortable at all. Probably wouldn't be able to ride. Nope, not worth even trying.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    First rule of fight club is disclosure, give it up JCD. We'll get after it.
    Lol no not me, it was noapathy that was called that, but I agreed with his post that caused the name calling by the Op.

Some rant about Jensons.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Awesome jack. Way to get after it!
    Thanks!

Got out again today on the road bike, another 30 miles and 2500'. I'm meeting a guy in Redwood city tomorrow for some MTBing in "the belmont hills" that he is quite familiar with, I imagine it will be a total hammer fest, and I'll I'll be showing up a bit pre cooked with 70 miles and close to 5000' in the last 2 days, plus I'm at 122 miles in the last 6 days, mostly road miles, but coming out of Idaho winter its a pretty heavy spring. I'm pushing to get some legs in me to be able to have fun in southern Utah/Moab in early May as opposed to going there and suffering!

Good to hear you got out, Jack. How are you liking that new ride after some time on it?
    Last ride on the MTB was actually with Hawg, but man, it does everything I ask of it! If I break it down to climbing efficiency, tech climbing ability, descending ability (speed and chunk) bunny hop ability, this bike is somewhat better to WAY better at every category compared to my old 2008 Giant Trance. I figured with 20mm more travel up front and 10 mm more travel out back it would be a bit of a dog for bunny hopping, but it hops like a dream!

I'm certainly looking forward to getting back on it tomorrow! And I'll be spending a couple days on it not far from Downieville in the Sierra foothills on Sunday and Monday with a buddy that lives there, and its supposed to rain there on Saturday so Sunday should be excellent, high of 60* too! I know we'll put down a couple bigger rides, so I'm taking saturday off to show up sort of fresh. He's damn fast, I'm looking forward to getting the brakes hot with him!

Bikesexual
    Full moon tonight, it was nice to escape reality for a bit. Sorry cell pics.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Wanna ride bikes?
    I finally heard back from the frame builder, he's agreed to fix it for a small fee. Hurray!
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

I finally heard back from the frame builder, he's agreed to fix it for a small fee. Hurray!
    Should be a free fix but who am I? Congrats. at least thereís some light at the end of the metal tube.

Jack, good to hear the new ride is more than you expected.

And Jcd, nice short ride report.

Lol no not me, it was noapathy that was called that, but I agreed with his post that caused the name calling by the Op.

Some rant about Jensons.
    Found it, reading down that thread that FR38 sounds like a real gem to deal with as a customer.

OCC Bike Thread V14-083e5e8c-204e-44da-ab50-63120a9b8caf.jpg

NDD
    mtbr member
    Jack, I'm mondo envious of those bunny hopping skills.

dang

MEGALOMANIAC
    Last ride on the MTB was actually with Hawg, but man, it does everything I ask of it! If I break it down to climbing efficiency, tech climbing ability, descending ability (speed and chunk) bunny hop ability, this bike is somewhat better to WAY better at every category compared to my old 2008 Giant Trance. I figured with 20mm more travel up front and 10 mm more travel out back it would be a bit of a dog for bunny hopping, but it hops like a dream!

WOW, it takes strength to be able to pull that high up,... (and clipless pedals).

mtbr member
    Glad to hear the custom SS will come back after surgery OneSpeed. Have you considered getting a custom frame with a custom yoke now that you have destroyed this and a frame that was built for a 300lb gorilla?

I think you need a yoke like chromag, myth, or perhaps like Walt has done for the Ultimate Warrior. Perhaps, you could ask about a solid forged driveside chainstay?
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Jack, I'm mondo envious of those bunny hopping skills.
    Thanks!

I was a bmx geek for a few years before I really got into skateboarding, but the hopping skills have thankfully stuck with me!

There are some great tutorials on youtube that can help out a bunch, that pic is actually a screengrab, here is the slomo video it came from,

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    WOW, it takes strength to be able to pull that high up,... (and clipless pedals).
    Ha!

It's exceedingly rare that I ever pull up on my pedals, it's kind of like how fighter planes in WW2 had a horsepower rating, say 1500, but they also had an "emergency wartime horsepower" rating which was 10% to 15% more HP than the normal rating, so if you think you're going to die you can really put the screws to 'er to try to avoid death. Thats how I view pulling up on my pedals! Only if it will get me out a slam/crash/death.

Here is a pic of me hopping the same bike with my (cleatless) workboots on with clipless pedals This was with minimal runup that was also sort disturbed dirt so form is not as good as the box hop off asphalt.

mtbr member
    Good to hear it!

Is he local so you don't have to deal with shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Glad to hear the custom SS will come back after surgery OneSpeed. Have you considered getting a custom frame with a custom yoke now that you have destroyed this and a frame that was built for a 300lb gorilla?

I think you need a yoke like chromag, myth, or perhaps like Walt has done for the Ultimate Warrior. Perhaps, you could ask about a solid forged driveside chainstay?
    I was thinking something like a full-triangle gusset.
    ó Thanos

Bikesexual
    The big question is, will OS go back to Schrader valves after the repair?

Good to hear the news!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Here is a pic of me hopping the same bike with my (cleatless) workboots on with clipless pedals This was with minimal runup that was also sort disturbed dirt so form is not as good as the box hop off asphalt.

And no helmet.

But youíve got wings.

since 4/10/2009
    No riding for me today. 3" of rain since the storm started a shade over 12hrs ago. Some gauges to the south are reporting 12" of rain in the same period of time.

Bikesexual
    The Tacoma is getting the hitch installed, boss said you can leave early, so hopefully the truck will be ready soon, so I can put my rack and go ride. I wanted to go when they first open, but had a freaking meeting.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

The Tacoma is getting the hitch installed, boss said you can leave early, so hopefully the truck will be ready soon, so I can put my rack and go ride. I wanted to go when they first open, but had a freaking meeting.
    Should have opted for the tow package. I checked that box when ordering my Taco. It includes not just the hitch and wiring but a larger radiator, alternator, transmission cooler and engine cooler. I donít recall how much that option was but itís worth it even if you donít tow all the time. All that helps in mountain or desert driving.

OCC Bike Thread V14-b8c28de9-253d-4e1a-aae2-374a0f5485ad.jpg

Bikesexual
    Should have opted for the tow package. I checked that box when ordering my Taco. It includes not just the hitch and wiring but a larger radiator, alternator, transmission cooler and engine cooler. I donít recall how much that option was but itís worth it even if you donít tow all the time. All that helps in mountain or desert driving.

Name:	B8C28DE9-253D-4E1A-AAE2-374A0F5485AD.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	1247606
    I had no clue on that, that applies to used cars as well? I'm good w/the hitch though that I got from etrailer, for now a boat purchase is years away
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

since 4/10/2009

Name:	B8C28DE9-253D-4E1A-AAE2-374A0F5485AD.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	1247606
    I had no clue on that, that applies to used cars as well? I'm good w/the hitch though that I got from etrailer, for now a boat purchase is years away
    Depends on the vehicle. Some tow packages include more. Some less. The Colorado tow package, for example, includes a trailer brake controller, even.

Ha! Not having a towing package on our Pilot was my excuse to the wife for not using our friend's camping trailer. She wanted to tow it on our annual trip to Idaho.
    ó Thanos

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post

Ahem, we prefer the term "belligerent raging asshole". Thank you.

Yes, that's exactly what I have in mind, not quite sure what he has planned yet, still sorting out some small details.

Good to hear it!

Is he local so you don't have to deal with shipping?
    Nope, I get to ship it coast to coast. My frame is very well traveled.

The big question is, will OS go back to Schrader valves after the repair?

Good to hear the news!
    I may be a guerrilla but I'm not a neanderthal. (or something like that)
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Bikesexual
    Ok guys WTF! My rack is tilted, can't get it levelled no matter how I place it? Any ideas?

First time using the 2" adapter.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Upcyclist
    Is it ok to have the license plate obscured?

Bummer it's not going on straight. Just put the bike in the bed if you want to go ride today.

Bikesexual
    Is it ok to have the license plate obscured?

Bummer it's not going on straight. Just put the bike in the bed if you want to go ride today.
    No but its the best way to see it, I'm kinda of annoyed right now, I think its the receiver.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Rabid Lana Fan
    Yeah, I think the receiver isn't on there quite square.

Rabid Lana Fan
    And yeah, Korn, I have the same rack...it lives on my truck. Totally blocks the license plate.

I'm surprised I don't get pulled over for it.

Bikesexual
    Yeah, I think the receiver isn't on there quite square.
    Do you think is the install? I just checked and it looks to be in the right place. The "mouth" of the receiver is what I think its fvkd up.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Rabid Lana Fan
    Lay a level on it.

I really don't see how it could be anything else.

Upcyclist
    Better watch those post ride beers!

Bikesexual
    And yeah, Korn, I have the same rack...it lives on my truck. Totally blocks the license plate.

They sell a frame for the LP but on my Mazda3 is on all the time.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit