OC Quarantine Activities- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Pipe Dreamer

OC Quarantine Activities

So, what are you planning on doing whilst sheltering in your place?

I just went though a box of random hardware, I've separated into piles the large construction screws, drywall screws, wall anchors, wire nuts, etc. I'm taking a break before I separate the small wood screws from the machine screws and nails. I never thought I'd get do to this!!!
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

One ring to mash them all
    Finally getting around to installing RJ45 jacks in the upstairs bedrooms and putting an access point in one of them. WiFi has been sort of weak up there. I may also wire the garage and put an old 802.11g router in there so I can watch how-to-videos on a real computer screen vs. my phone.

Put away my backpacking gear from my hike a couple weeks ago. I hung it to dry in my daughter's room (the one who's stranded in the UK) and just sort of forgot about it. Probably pre-organize it for our next hike in Oct.

Try a couple of new alcohol stove designs.

Finish my mandatory online training for work.

Maybe walk the dogs 2x a day now.

Sort and consolidate my fishing gear.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

banned
    Cleaning up clutter, getting rid of stuff I don't need or have duplicates of. (Looking at you, CD collection!)

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post

I just went though a box of random hardware, I've separated into piles the large construction screws, drywall screws, wall anchors, wire nuts, etc. I'm taking a break before I separate the small wood screws from the machine screws and nails. I never thought I'd get do to this!!!
    I have a couple hundred of SF of tile that I could lay in my kitchen. We were supposed to order cabinets to install, right before the pandemic happened, but we didn't now I have no idea if we can even order them, if the company is making them, or if by the time they get here we will be allowed out of our house.

I have a bunch of appliances coming this upcoming week (maybe depending on shelter in place restriction being placed by Inslee), and I have no where for them to go either.

So far I spend my time yelling at my kids, telecommuting, and getting my post count up on MTBR, just like any good american does.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Bikesexual
    For now, no changes since I've been working from home for 20yrs. The waiting game is to see if the company survives, just waiting for an email or phone call.

My ankle is getting better so hopefully by Monday I can ride again.

Plan for the weekend is to get rid of old crap from the closets and cabinets, and do some bike maintenance.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Pro Crastinator
    digging out on the trails...

XC iconoclast
    JCD did you see this???

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/us/ca...der/index.html

California and New York ordering EVERYONE with non-essential services to stay at home indefinitely!?!

This is going too far. I think in the inner city, yes, things should shut down. But most of NY State is cow country, the population is very sparse, the virus is not going to spread there like it would where the density is thousands of people per square mile. You go more than 50 miles away from the coast and California gets pretty rural too. In the cities, yes. In the suburbs next to ranchers and farmers...I dunno if this rule applies so much.

The California Governor says that this will not be legally enforced. But what about mountain biking. Are people going to harass you if they see you have a mountain bike in the back of your car or truck? Will they shame you for having fun during this time? I mean, mountain biking is not the same as young people going to a party when they are told they should not congregate. As long as someone doesn't shuttle with 4-5 guys in the truck, then what is the big deal? If you drive out of the city limits and ride by yourself or a few other dudes that drove themselves, realistically the chances of spreading or contracting the virus are zero. You are practicing social distancing...to the extreme. The rule should be don't go outside unless you can social distance. Mountain biking complies with that rule. I'm going to mountain bike until an authority tells me I can't. This is not being selfish, it's being realistic. Statistically it's not going to hurt anything because it can be a rural, relatively remote activity. It's simply not the same as partying or going to Disneyland.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Changing out a water heater that went out on my building this AM. A great quarantine activity.
    Just call me Ray

This should probably go in the home improvement thread. I have a large walk-in closet that needs finish trim. The problem getting it done has been that one wall is a convex arc (12 feet along the circumference) that is formed by a circular staircase on the other side. Looking at flexible moulding options (NOT rubber cove -- something with profile), and I have a few ideas. It's challenging because most products are 8' in length, and I expect a scarf joint will look like shit; even if it's hidden from view by clothes, I'll always know it's there.

On that wall I installed 2 courses of clothes hanging rod by using curved shower curtain rod. The brackets I used to hang the rods have flat tops so I want to put shelves on top of them -- but those will have to be cut to curve with the wall.

Seems like an opportune time to make a run at it. HW stores are "critical industry" so they'll be open.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    But what about mountain biking.
    What to Know About California’s Stay at Home Order: Requirements and Exemptions

All Californians must stay at home, but there are exceptions, such as essential activities like getting food, prescriptions and health care, care for a friend or relative, walking the dog and taking outdoor exercise such as walking, running or hiking. When people do go out, they should practice social distancing to prevent the spread of the virus and not gather in large groups.
    Emphasis mine. In case anyone wants to be pedantic about cycling not being included in that list, I'll just ride my SS since I'm walking it half the time anyway.
    Go Fact Yourself.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Just working from home for me. That's ok, it could be a good year for journal publications, if I end up working out of office for almost a month. Might even try to write to me graduate work into a publication, but probably won't go that far.

My lower back has me hobbling like an old man, which sucks because I need to hang drywall on the kitchen ceiling...
    dang

mtbr member

I was at the drywall anchor/ wire nut sorting phase two days ago. I've since moved on to camping gear sorting. When we finally do get back out in the world I'll be organized; camping gear is now arranged into backpacking gear, car camping gear, river trip camping gear, and of course, our camping trailer is "prepped". There's surprisingly little overlap between the camping disciplines, at least as far a gear goes.

Then I'm onto the flyfishing gear, rigging dry fly rods, nymphing rods, and streamer rods. Also tying flies and building leaders. I intend to be on the water a lot in the upcoming weeks. River is in the back yard.

I need to update some adjustment features on the manual machine for + and 27.5 or 29 wheels.

Inbetween all these activities, will be continued OCD sorting of all the crap in my garage and attic. If I don't fill a dumpster by the end of next week, I'll be disappointed in myself.

I wish I had some wheels to build, that'd be a great distraction right now.

Too bad we're a few weeks too early to get the garden going, but if this goes on as projected, the garden is going to be awesome this year.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    My lower back has me hobbling like an old man...
    Me too. Try this youtube instruction.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzv6NvPW33Q
    Been doing various back exercises from her for a few weeks now, and finally feel GOOD, not just ok. This is a great time to take time to fix yourself.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    Me too. Try this youtube instruction.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzv6NvPW33Q
    Been doing various back exercises from her for a few weeks now, and finally feel GOOD, not just ok. This is a great time to take time to fix yourself.
    Thanks I'll watch this over lunch. Part of the problem is that I sit at the computer a lot during work, then I don't stretch or anything before I go biking. My own laziness is catching up with me.
    dang

Out spokin'
    I need to go to the grocery store.

I'm retired, live out in the country.
    Yesterday I did trailwork.
    Day before that I went riding.
    Day before that I sat around, looked at MTBR, did laundry, blah, blah.

After grocery shopping today, I'm going riding.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Ive been working from home for years, but alot of my customers so slow, and I'm in sales...

Last night I tuned up the wires beach cruiser, we may go to the beach for a ride later... Kids are all home, so we're trying to keep them occupied with something other than an iPad...

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Ride more, problem is with so many off work the trails will be crowded even during the week. I’m off today and bored as hell. I can’t sit at home nor do I have any real chores pending. It snowed last night, I’m out driving around. About to head up to the mountains for a Friday [Sunday] drive. I’m fortunate to live where a drive can be recreational instead of just a necessity with plenty of views, sights and critters to see. Speaking of which this herd of elk blocked me from leaving my driveway this morning. Lol

OC Quarantine Activities-25d2bd90-3cef-4c4c-8e6d-ff3edf6ac0aa.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Speaking of which this herd of elk blocked me from leaving my driveway this morning. Lol
    Is Colorado deploying National Guard Elk to keep the populace confined?
    Go Fact Yourself.

Your bike sucks
    Inside (outside of work):

Music practice, music practice, music practice
    Yoga
    Home Improvement and tedious projects I'd otherwise defer for more interesting stuff
    Foreign Language practice
    Small Electronics studies & projects

Outside (hoping these don't get ended):

Moto trail riding
    Mountain Biking of course
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I have a couple hundred of SF of tile that I could lay in my kitchen. We were supposed to order cabinets to install, right before the pandemic happened, but we didn't now I have no idea if we can even order them, if the company is making them, or if by the time they get here we will be allowed out of our house.

I have a bunch of appliances coming this upcoming week (maybe depending on shelter in place restriction being placed by Inslee), and I have no where for them to go either.

So far I spend my time yelling at my kids, telecommuting, and getting my post count up on MTBR, just like any good american does.
    So you're without a kitchen during all of this? That'd be a bummer!

I went by a job and picked up drawer boxes, cabinet doors are delayed because of the CV, don't understand why because there's no restrictions other than schools and gyms and stuff closed. They have their master bathroom torn up, ceiling being painted today and tile going in next week. I just need to stain a lacquer the vanity, which will probably be my last job for a while.

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    This should probably go in the home improvement thread. I have a large walk-in closet that needs finish trim. The problem getting it done has been that one wall is a convex arc (12 feet along the circumference) that is formed by a circular staircase on the other side. Looking at flexible moulding options (NOT rubber cove -- something with profile), and I have a few ideas. It's challenging because most products are 8' in length, and I expect a scarf joint will look like shit; even if it's hidden from view by clothes, I'll always know it's there.

On that wall I installed 2 courses of clothes hanging rod by using curved shower curtain rod. The brackets I used to hang the rods have flat tops so I want to put shelves on top of them -- but those will have to be cut to curve with the wall.

Seems like an opportune time to make a run at it. HW stores are "critical industry" so they'll be open.
    I'd try to connect the two pieces before installation. I had a stair skirt that joined a piece of base on a landing (think it's in the home improvement thread) where I used pocket holes on the back. there was no other way to get both to lime up properly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    My plans finish putting in flooring downstairs plus a few other random projects.
    New shocks on my Ford Ranger, rebuild the suspension and replace the distributor and radiator on my Civic.

Working on learning how to take good photos.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (single speed "gravel" bike), Nashbar CXSS (on trainer)

mtbr member
    Well, I build plastic model kits anyway. But I can still go to the trail and ride. I'm doing that tomorrow morning. I still have to go to my job during the week. I'm in defense/aerospace so we still have to keep making airplanes. The business isn't losing customers. Traffic is lighter gong to and from work. Funny how the price of gas is dropping and looks like the demand for it is now dropping too.

Pipe Dreamer
    I wish I had some wheels to build, that'd be a great distraction right now.
    But that should only take an hour or so each wheel.

I've got all sorts of hobbies that can eat up lots of time, I've just been lacking the motivation, it's sometimes hard to think about fun stuff in these uncertain times. I had dumped that box of hardware out on the bench to pull out all the cabinet hardware screws, I had to go install some pulls on a hutch I painted a while ago. While I was waiting to go I figured I'd sort the rest of it, and that kinda took my mind away from things and made me think of starting this thread. I think we are all going to need some distractions to keep us sane!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm in the Bay Area and people are still going out -- the trails have hikers and mountain bikers. I live two blocks from the trails and they are getting good use. Not sure what city slickers are doing and I'm thankful for small town living.

I'd try to connect the two pieces before installation. I had a stair skirt that joined a piece of base on a landing (think it's in the home improvement thread) where I used pocket holes on the back. there was no other way to get both to lime up properly.
    That's an interesting thought, thanks. I'd have to make sure the fasteners aren't so long that they prevent the joined pieces from adhering to the curve.

Another thought I had was to install a divider board at the midpoint of the curved wall and use it to affix the closet rods, instead of the bracket that's currently there. Then I'd only need to deal with 2 ~6' pieces of baseboard.

I thought about getting non-profiled pine base and kerfing the shit out of the back to make it bendy. Top cap would hide the kerfs.
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    I've also decided to answer every robo-call that I get, and see just how far I can take the conversation before they hang up on me.

mtbr member
    I asked a friend in San Diego what he has been doing. I didn't want that much of a truthful response. As far as proper social etiquette I will leave you to your imagination. Wash your hands.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    I asked a friend in San Diego what he has been doing. I didn't want that much of a truthful response. As far as proper social etiquette I will leave you to your imagination. Wash your hands.
    He's been doing this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaYOkqC7yGI

mtbr member
    ^^^ dont click on this...

Pipe Dreamer
    That's an interesting thought, thanks. I'd have to make sure the fasteners aren't so long that they prevent the joined pieces from adhering to the curve.

Another thought I had was to install a divider board at the midpoint of the curved wall and use it to affix the closet rods, instead of the bracket that's currently there. Then I'd only need to deal with 2 ~6' pieces of baseboard.

I thought about getting non-profiled pine base and kerfing the shit out of the back to make it bendy. Top cap would hide the kerfs.
    A bulkhead [divider] would be a good option. If you did join two pieces of base I was thinking perhaps something thin like a stir stick glued to the back side would probably be flexible enough, in addition to pocket screws or sum such. A shit-ton of kerfing seems like it'd be a lot of work.

I've also decided to answer every robo-call that I get, and see just how far I can take the conversation before they hang up on me.
    I used to try and report those, but got tired of taking the time to do so. Perhaps I will now!

Rabid Lana Fan
    When they call about your car's warranty expiring, ask them which car? Tell them you have four cars.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member

A bulkhead [divider] would be a good option. If you did join two pieces of base I was thinking perhaps something thin like a stir stick glued to the back side would probably be flexible enough, in addition to pocket screws or sum such.
    Kewl ideas.

A shit-ton of kerfing seems like it'd be a lot of work.
    Well I've got nothing but time! Also, purpose-built flexible baseboard is about 4x as much as solid pine.

Edit: Also need to make sure whatever I use matches the rest of the closet for the 3 other walls.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Out spokin'
    OC Quarantine Activities-f6459e4d-74e8-403b-a643-0574541280e8.jpeg
    Got the groceries. Now here.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

One plus: With all the bars and restaurants closed to inside dining I predict DUI’s and fatalities from such to drastically go down.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Thanks for the warning, but I ignored it and . . . 🤮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    When they call about your car's warranty expiring, ask them which car? Tell them you have four cars.
    Or tell them that you have 312,000 miles on the car when they ask for the mileage. That’s an instant hang up every time.
    DAAAANG...that was janky

mtbr member
    Seriously guys, just don’t.
    DAAAANG...that was janky

Pipe Dreamer
    One plus: With all the bars and restaurants closed to inside dining I predict DUI’s and fatalities from such to drastically go down.
    DJ, that's like a "toaster moment" !

I'm guessing that's partially why they are doing it, to keep people home safe and out of the ER.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir kayakalot View Post
    Seriously guys, just don’t.

DJ, that's like a "toaster moment" !

I'm guessing that's partially why they are doing it, to keep people home safe and out of the ER.
    A “toaster moment”. Wherever did you get that from? BTW I forgot where that was posted.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    JCD did you see this???

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/us/ca...der/index.html

California and New York ordering EVERYONE with non-essential services to stay at home indefinitely!?!

This is going too far. I think in the inner city, yes, things should shut down. But most of NY State is cow country, the population is very sparse, the virus is not going to spread there like it would where the density is thousands of people per square mile. You go more than 50 miles away from the coast and California gets pretty rural too. In the cities, yes. In the suburbs next to ranchers and farmers...I dunno if this rule applies so much.

The California Governor says that this will not be legally enforced. But what about mountain biking. Are people going to harass you if they see you have a mountain bike in the back of your car or truck? Will they shame you for having fun during this time? I mean, mountain biking is not the same as young people going to a party when they are told they should not congregate. As long as someone doesn't shuttle with 4-5 guys in the truck, then what is the big deal? If you drive out of the city limits and ride by yourself or a few other dudes that drove themselves, realistically the chances of spreading or contracting the virus are zero. You are practicing social distancing...to the extreme. The rule should be don't go outside unless you can social distance. Mountain biking complies with that rule. I'm going to mountain bike until an authority tells me I can't. This is not being selfish, it's being realistic. Statistically it's not going to hurt anything because it can be a rural, relatively remote activity. It's simply not the same as partying or going to Disneyland.
    It's funny how people are reacting to the state order (Cali).

All outdoor activities, in the name of maintaining one's health, are welcomed. I am seeing more families out going for a walk. It's actually refreshing to see this. The trail system near my locale was loaded with hikers/walkers/bikers/runners today. More than I have ever seen in all the years I have been using it. And everyone was smiling and friendly.

The order suggests that we avoid groups of 10 or more people and that we maintain social distancing while in the company of others. In my state, that distance is 6 feet or more apart.

Straight out tha traila
    I was thinking maybe we could do this, except politicians are allowed.

some weird crazed desert dweller.

Snow Dog
    interesting to see how many of us are purging crap from the house, and doing home improvement stuff....both things are high on my list....

being a life-long introvert, I have more than enough activities to keep me busy...

there will definitely be a LOT of playing the drums and bass...must refresh the Rush and Iron Maiden song play alongs...

tons of books to read, and sports cards to organize and log into the database

will be playing lots of Dungeons and Dragons online with my nerdy friends

also have to teach from home, so I still have to work, I just don't have to get up early and put on dress clothes...sort of a dream come true!!

Will definitely be riding both MTB and BMX...
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    It's funny how people are reacting to the state order (Cali).

All outdoor activities, in the name of maintaining one's health, are welcomed. I am seeing more families out going for a walk. It's actually refreshing to see this. The trail system near my locale was loaded with hikers/walkers/bikers/runners today. More than I have ever seen in all the years I have been using it. And everyone was smiling and friendly.

The order suggests that we avoid groups of 10 or more people and that we maintain social distancing while in the company of others. In my state, that distance is 6 feet or more apart.
    And they are talking about closing trailheads that are popular like this also

Follow the order and “self quarantine”. Don’t be a selfish bastard and put others at risk. A millennial attitude towards this will only make things worse.

Pipe Dreamer
    Kewl ideas.

Well I've got nothing but time! Also, purpose-built flexible baseboard is about 4x as much as solid pine.

Edit: Also need to make sure whatever I use matches the rest of the closet for the 3 other walls.
    I was going to mention cutting out some drywall behind where the stir stick would sit so the base is flush to the wall, which I guess could do with pine also. And with pine you'd get a stronger glue bond with the stick. You could possibly notch out the back of the pine base and glue in a spline, which could possibly be kerfed. I don't think it would flatten the curve.

*Edit: You can probably get pine long enough for your needs.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    And they are talking about closing trailheads that are popular like this also

Follow the order and “self quarantine”. Don’t be a selfish bastard and put others at risk. A millennial attitude towards this will only make things worse.
    Nothing is being closed except for some parks.

slow
    I've been working from home the better part of the last 20 years, so little has changed for me. Yesterday's snow and sloppy trail conditions are doing more to confine me than any quarantine orders. That said, lack of socializing outside of work hours will allow me to get some things done:
    -- Finish tax prep (even though the deadline is extended.)
    -- Rebuild the fork, change tires, and clean the winter grime off the drivetrain on one bike.
    -- Sort the massive donation pile in the garage into piles for the bike co-op, Habitat for Humanity, and Salvation Army.
    -- Finish my fireplace wall project.

OC Quarantine Activities-0320202018a.jpg

NDD
    mtbr member
    A millennial attitude towards this will only make things worse.
    My my, I wonder what would happen if you ever talked to a millennial face to face. Get a grip. I know way more Boomer or Gen X folks who think the virus is a hoax or "just the flu" and refuse to be inconvenienced. All my pals are taking this pretty seriously while trying to live our lives. Seems like what most people here are doing.
    dang

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    Nothing is being closed except for some parks.
    Not yet but they are thinking about it. Funny, on one side if the coin they are waiving all National Park fees to let people get out, yet they are also talking about closing popular trailheads.

They just announced waiving National Park fees and the town of Estes is protesting that they want Rocky Mountain National Park to close to keep tourists from around the world inundating the small town of Estes [that sits below the park] as they do every year.

My my, I wonder what would happen if you ever talked to a millennial face to face. Get a grip. I know way more Boomer or Gen X folks who think the virus is a hoax or "just the flu" and refuse to be inconvenienced. All my pals are taking this pretty seriously while trying to live our lives. Seems like what most people here are doing.
    Ha, what would happen? They’d go cry to mommy and daddy? There are ass hats in every generation. My comment was directed at the thousands of spring breakers gathering on the beaches that were crying because their spring break party plans were ruined because of this world wide emergency.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Ha, what would happen? They’d go cry to mommy and daddy? There are ass hats in every generation. My comment was directed at the thousands of spring breakers gathering on the beaches that were crying because their spring break party plans were ruined because of this world wide emergency.
    Sounds like Gen Z to me. Everyone I know is mostly hoping they keep their job(s) through the economic crisis, and I'm on the relative lower end of Millennialism.
    dang

I was going to mention cutting out some drywall behind where the stir stick would sit so the base is flush to the wall, which I guess could do with pine also. And with pine you'd get a stronger glue bond with the stick. You could possibly notch out the back of the pine base and glue in a spline, which could possibly be kerfed. I don't think it would flatten the curve.

*Edit: You can probably get pine long enough for your needs.
    Yeah, something like this is what I had in mind for the base. Since it's recessed in the back I wouldn't need to notch for a stick or spline (?)

But like you say, I'm pretty sure I can get it long enough so a scarf joint is moot.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Sounds like Gen Z to me. Everyone I know is mostly hoping they keep their job(s) through the economic crisis, and I'm on the relative lower end of Millennialism.
    It’s just a reference, don’t take it personally. I as well am worried for all. I’ve gave larger than normal tips to carry out orders in the last week. Feel terrible about the situation some are facing. I have a niece and a nephew who both lost work as well as both of their hubbies. Scary stuff for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F6459E4D-74E8-403B-A643-0574541280E8.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	1318431
    Got the groceries. Now here.
    =sParty
    Doin it right.
    Fresh "stay home, stay save" order for us up here in Portland. Gubnah Brown and our ineffectual mayor eluded, very awkwardly, to a stricter mandate come Monday.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

NDD
    mtbr member
    It’s just a reference, don’t take it personally. I as well am worried for all. I’ve gave larger than normal tips to carry out orders in the last week. Feel terrible about the situation some are facing. I have a niece and a nephew who both lost work as well as both of their hubbies. Scary stuff for sure.
    Yeah, my hobby will be worrying, by that's not really knew. Also I'm for real ready to destroy the napkin industry, so I'll cop to that stereotype.
    dang

Yeah, my hobby will be worrying, by that's not really knew. Also I'm for real ready to destroy the napkin industry, so I'll cop to that stereotype.
    Man, a guy can’t even put his foot in his own mouth around here without being crucified.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Man, a guy can’t even put his foot in his own mouth around here without being crucified.
    Tis the season for crucifixion.
    dang

You nailed it.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Pipe Dreamer
    a stick or spline (?)
    If you had a router table or a Table saw dado blade you could notch out the back for a bigger spline, or maybe it'd be a tenon? You could do a scarf over the tenon.

Pipe Dreamer
    I am not kidding you, I was just looking at pics on another forum and this came up!

NDD
    mtbr member
    I am not kidding you, I was just looking at pics on another forum and this came up!

Haha. How topical.
    dang

Rabid Lana Fan

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ hahaha
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I foresee much bike maintenance in my future. I just did new brake pads and a bleed on the SS 29er. Long overdue.

I know other bikes need bearings, wheel service, wheel rebuild, new BB's, new rim tape, etc. all kinds of stuff. Too many bikes, lots and lots of repairs all the time.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Out spokin'
    LOLz!
    disciplesofdirt.org

Pipe Dreamer

Up In Smoke
    This sucks, played guitar for about 20 minutes. Then played some xbox for about 15 minutes. Tried trolling mtbr but even that seems kind of lame.

If you had a router table or a Table saw
    I have neither but could probably rig something up with my circular saw and 8' cutting guide. It would just take a looong time.

I think one 12' piece should doo eet. If I F up and break the 12-footer, I can always cut it down and use the surviving parts on the shorter straight walls. It's going to take a number of days to empty out the closet anyway, so I have a little time to think about it.
    Go Fact Yourself.

since 4/10/2009
    house is cleaner than it's been for a LONG time.

Started power washing the deck yesterday, but used up all of my "yard tool" gas. About to make a run so I can get more to finish power washing the deck and mow the lawn.

Might build a little mtb trail through the yard finally. been thinking about it for awhile, but now's a good time to actually do it.

Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    ^ hahaha
    Hilarious!

mtbr member
    Wouldn’t it be nice if the lessons learned through this in our daily lives stuck awhile.....
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    Wouldn’t it be nice if the lessons learned through this in our daily lives stuck awhile.....
    Yeah I just sorted my ammo and realized that I had some corroded 20 gauge shells. Now I only have 32 left. That's not enough! Lessons learned. I do have 250+ .22 rounds. Look out squirrels.
    dang

Cycologist
    Just got back from a trail run, on the mtb trails. I've been really busy with work this past week, working from home on a speculative project due Monday. Getting into some stuff I've never done before and learning some new tricks and coming up with some hacks in some software I started using about half a year ago. Also messing with Adobe Premier Pro, may have to get into that some more.

Taking a break and then I need to see about getting the 2nd raised garden bed in place. Thinking I need to shoot some pix of spring emerging and post them in the botany thread.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Straight out tha traila
    I watched some TV today.

OC Quarantine Activities-20200321_094019.jpg
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

banned
    That is immensely humorous.

banned
    Got some drive-thru beers from a couple of local breweries, picked up some cigars from the smoke shop/tap house, and I'm set for a few days.

Downtown Lodi was a ghost town. Sad, really. Hope these small businesses can stay alive during this virus crisis. Life as we know it may be changed forever.

Airlines, cruise ships, hotels being bailed out- where's MY fukcing bailout, mutha fukcers??? Screw those azzoles. I don't want $600, I want to be fukcing BAILED OUT.

Truck you, Fump.

mtbr member
    Yeah I just sorted my ammo and realized that I had some corroded 20 gauge shells. Now I only have 32 left. That's not enough! Lessons learned. I do have 250+ .22 rounds. Look out squirrels.
    I have plenty of 12ga bought for a clay shoot party that didn't happen and loads of .22 but my 10/22 is at the smith right now. But the pellet gun is locked and loaded for those pesky squirrels that keep eating my wiring harness.

Taking so time to clean the guns. Have some friends firearms that they want cleaned so I got that to do as well.

banned
    I have plenty of 12ga bought for a clay shoot party that didn't happen and loads of .22 but my 10/22 is at the smith right now. But the pellet gun is locked and loaded for those pesky squirrels that keep eating my wiring harness.
    Drove into Lodi this morning, and as I was leaving, noticed a line outside a small business of about 20 people waiting for it to open. Didn't notice what store it was. Later today, I drove by again. It was a gun shop.

mtbr member
    There is a guy that sells ammo next to the gas station near my house. I buy from him from time to time. Has good prices. He was out there today and had a line of maybe 40 people.

mtbr member

Buddy of mine posted this on FB of a Yoda cake he made for his daughters 12th birthday. He hopes restaurants and grocery stores go back to normal soon so his cooking doesn't traumatize her

^It is what counts, the thought is.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Zero waiting to cross from Mexico into the U.S. Maybe I'll go down to T.J.

Gotta find something "essential."

Donkey show?
    Go Fact Yourself.

First time I’ve heard the word “essential” and donkey show in the same conversation.

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Finish my fireplace wall project.

Name:	0320202018a.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	1318457
    That's going to look great!

Was just looking around at my space, might be a good time to change things up! I hadn't thought about it till now, and your pic came to mind. I've probably got enough paint to redo the whole basement, maybe even pull out the carpet and LVT it.

mtbr member
    Zero waiting to cross from Mexico into the U.S. Maybe I'll go down to T.J.

Gotta find something "essential."

Donkey show?
    If you go down there to tj or algodones I need some fireworks. Good ones.

If you go down there to tj or algodones I need some fireworks. Good ones.
    Ha, some good times down there on a dirt bike. If I remember right we drove through algodones to get to Mikes Sky Ranch we called it but it’s actually Mikes Ranch in the Sky. Some of the big BAJA races go right through there so it’s naturally a MX or 4X4 dream location.

https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadvent...esskyranch.php

Mike’s Sky Ranch | Total Escape Lodging

First time I’ve heard the word “essential” and donkey show in the same conversation.
    I may have confused it with "assential."
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    I may have confused it with "assential."
    It's easy to do

NDD
    mtbr member
    There is a guy that sells ammo next to the gas station near my house. I buy from him from time to time. Has good prices. He was out there today and had a line of maybe 40 people.
    My wife was at the farm store picking up a backpack sprayer for work and saw some dudes with carts full of ammo. It's hot right now.

This might be silly, but I've been thinking maybe I should've had a more apocalyptic piece before now. Like, not that I really need an AK, but you know some crazy mf already got them. Or maybe something that's not a long gun.
    dang

Rabid Lana Fan
    Bread is getting hard to find at the grocery store, so Susie made some in the oven at home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OC Quarantine Activities-bread.jpg  

High Desert MTBer
    Wife and I started an online support group for our local community which is starting to grow, so that should take some time to maintain each day. There are quite a few elderly and infirm people near us, and I am being consistently amazed at how people are stepping up to offer help. It is truly heartening
    Weather is perfect to ride, but I am back off the bike, hopefully temporarily. Seems like each time I get over one ailment, another pops up to take its place. It is getting old!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Bread is getting hard to find at the grocery store, so Susie made some in the oven at home.
    Patti just pulled a loaf out of the oven awhile ago!! This house smells sooooo good right now.

OC Quarantine Activities-57b69844-2755-4827-92a0-94f0bea72732.jpegOC Quarantine Activities-91de21e2-8491-4d51-8806-90018b19764d.jpg
    DAAAANG...that was janky

mtbr member
    Patti just pulled a loaf out of the oven awhile ago!! This house smells sooooo good right now.

Name:	57B69844-2755-4827-92A0-94F0BEA72732.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	521.1 KB 
ID:	1318833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91DE21E2-8491-4D51-8806-90018B19764D.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	210.3 KB 
ID:	1318835
    I used to do that all the time. I used to put a Dutch Oven inside the electric oven with the loaf on a piece of parchment paper. Remember cutting an “X” in the top and brushing with butter. That stuff was so good I had to give it up. Nothing like the smell of it in the house.
    Real, substantial, bread.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

mtbr member
    Active yeast is gone like flour and toilet paper at the stores around here.
    DAAAANG...that was janky

mtbr member
    You might try an old obscure store.....

mtbr member
    You could do sourdough using an apple starter. Don't need yeast just apples and flour

Pipe Dreamer
    My wife was at the farm store picking up a backpack sprayer for work and saw some dudes with carts full of ammo. It's hot right now.

This might be silly, but I've been thinking maybe I should've had a more apocalyptic piece before now. Like, not that I really need an AK, but you know some crazy mf already got them. Or maybe something that's not a long gun.
    If things get crazy look for my thread: How to protect you domicile for those with no guns.

I think I have enough lumber to board up all the lower level windows, maybe even build a trebuchet or two.

mtbr member
    You could do sourdough using an apple starter. Don't need yeast just apples and flour
    Tell me more Masta
    DAAAANG...that was janky

mtbr member
    Like this. Just easier to give a link

https://homesteadandchill.com/make-y...dough-starter/

mtbr member

Awesome, thanks
    DAAAANG...that was janky

High Desert MTBer
    If trails are wet and you need indoor exercise:

https://www.facebook.com/bassoonjedi...40599648/?t=14
    It's all Here. Now.

Bikesexual
    I spent a few hrs getting myself ready for my next hoarding expedition.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Rabid Lana Fan
    Not quarantined yet, but if I have to shelter in place at work, at least I have access to these trails.

Pipe Dreamer
    Wow Net, the upper part of that is really chunky!!

Is that a new trail? Looks like it was cleared for the power lines or something.

Thanks for doing your part!

Rabid Lana Fan
    It's always been there, but I went out on Friday at lunch with Arthur, and we did some maintenance...cleared a downed tree, etc. We swung by here on the way out, and I made a roller so that the last section on the top part before crossing the road was rideable.

Before, you had to take a by-pass to get around that last section right before the road crossing.

So far, I'm the only one to try the roller yet...it's kinda steep. Arthur went down before me, just so he could watch me do it. He was skeptical that it was actually do-able.

mtbr member
    Excellent AND janky! Good job Net
    DAAAANG...that was janky

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ Sweet chunk Net! I think I understand better now why you have a longer travel bike. Patrol right?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

banned
    Wow Net, the upper part of that is really chunky!!

Is that a new trail? Looks like it was cleared for the power lines or something.

Thanks for doing your part!
    Ditto. Trail work is sooo underappreciated. Believe me, I know.

Rabid Lana Fan
    ^ Sweet chunk Net! I think I understand better now why you have a longer travel bike. Patrol right?
    Actually, that's a Commencal Meta Power SX...old bike is a Transition Supressor.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Actually, that's a Commencal Meta Power SX...old bike is a Transition Supressor.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Pipe Dreamer
    It's always been there, but I went out on Friday at lunch with Arthur, and we did some maintenance...cleared a downed tree, etc. We swung by here on the way out, and I made a roller so that the last section on the top part before crossing the road was rideable.

Before, you had to take a by-pass to get around that last section right before the road crossing.

So far, I'm the only one to try the roller yet...it's kinda steep. Arthur went down before me, just so he could watch me do it. He was skeptical that it was actually do-able.
    I just thought it might be new because it looks like that whole strip was recently cleared, I did see some weeds towards the end. Maybe they do that every year?

Rabid Lana Fan
    Those powerlines have been there forever, so the cut has been there forever, too. Most guys don't like riding it, it's more like free-ride than a nice, defined piece of singletrack.

It suits me just fine, though.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Those powerlines have been there forever, so the cut has been there forever, too. Most guys don't like riding it, it's more like free-ride than a nice, defined piece of singletrack.

It suits me just fine, though.
    The gnarlier, the better!

Rabid Lana Fan
    And yeah, the folks who are in charge of maintaining access to the powerlines bushhog it about three times each summer.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Monday chunky, Net. That's a great alternative use for a powerline cut.
    dang

Very nice Net. I was struggling to find the trail in places. Definitely a chunk fest, way to get after it. Thanks for keeping the natural sounds in along with the music overlay. And, nice DJ signature pano in the beginning.

Rabid Lana Fan

Good job!

nice DJ signature pano in the beginning.
    yep

Wanna ride bikes?
    IDK, for a split second, right in the beginning, there was a whining noise in the audio. Then it happened again. I'm going "sounds like an e-motor"... why would Net need one of those for a DH run?

Thankfully a couple seconds later the music kicked in and I realized it was an intro for a music overlay.

I almost judged you Net, just for a second.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Rabid Lana Fan
    I'm prepped for the hate.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    IDK, for a split second, right in the beginning, there was a whining noise in the audio. Then it happened again. I'm going "sounds like an e-motor"... why would Net need one of those for a DH run?

Thankfully a couple seconds later the music kicked in and I realized it was an intro for a music overlay.

I almost judged you Net, just for a second.
    Uh oh, da shizz jusss got real!

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Just messin' with ya. It's our OC duty. Congrats on the new ride!

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    This sucks, played guitar for about 20 minutes. Then played some xbox for about 15 minutes. Tried trolling mtbr but even that seems kind of lame.
    man, I played drum set for 4 hours, and the only reason I stopped is b/c my ass hurt from sitting on the stool for that long, and my ears hurt from having the headphones on for so long. Got through a lot of Rush, and have been working on fast double bass, so got through some Slayer...my calves were hurting as well

Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    sadly, I don't think most First World humans are strong enough/smart enough to see why that would be a positive thing. From what i read, see and hear, people are feeling "butt hurt" abut their way of life being interrupted, and will probably try to make up for it when the bans are all lifted....

LET IT SNOW!

Wanna ride bikes?
    You bought a 30 pack of TP last week, didn't you?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Rabid Lana Fan
    I wish.

I'm almost out, and the shelves are bare every day.

After walking the dogs I went to a nearby Amazon locker to pick up a 30-pack I ordered a few days ago.

Situational awareness is key, especially in that sketchy part of town. My annual OPSEC and anti-terrorism training came in handy.
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member

Weird, I was just thinking that its about time I finally make a sourdough starter, and bam, there this link. Am I crazy, and my alter ego is really azimiut, or is he me? Are we Picazd?

well mannered lout
    We've been hiking the back woods a bunch this week and have decided to reclaim the overgrown bike trails. It will probably take me to the middle of May to get the main loop done.
    Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Wife and I started an online support group for our local community which is starting to grow, so that should take some time to maintain each day. There are quite a few elderly and infirm people near us, and I am being consistently amazed at how people are stepping up to offer help. It is truly heartening
    Weather is perfect to ride, but I am back off the bike, hopefully temporarily. Seems like each time I get over one ailment, another pops up to take its place. It is getting old!
    I was thinking about doing something along these lines- I have a small SUV I could help folks with, you have any suggestions how I could help folks out?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I can download new porn collection from porn hub

mtbr member
    Nobody here is interested in gay daddy issues porn
    DAAAANG...that was janky

No known cure
    I turned my garage into a speakeasy.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Rabid Lana Fan
    I was out with the Redstone trail boss doing some maintenance today at lunch. We decided to hike over to the check on the falls. It rained a ton last night.

This is strictly rain run-off. There is no water source up there.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Nobody here is interested in gay daddy issues porn
    Haha, funny because gay. I'm just downloading all that COVID themed porn now.
    dang

mtbr member
    Haha, funny because gay. I'm just downloading all that COVID themed porn now.
    just wash your hands before and after.

NDD
    mtbr member
    just wash your hands before and after.
    I always do before. It's the after part I forget about.
    dang

I was out with the Redstone trail boss doing some maintenance today at lunch. We decided to hike over to the check on the falls. It rained a ton last night.

That’s some serious rain you got.

mtbr member
    That’s a beauty net! I love waterfalls

She’s at it again boys, just pulled this out of the oven. A little butter, a little honey, a little coffee then off we go to the creek for some kayaking tomorrow. We got in a really good ride today. It’s good to be me

OC Quarantine Activities-28caf23e-b3af-49b9-85a0-8c9acafdc69b.jpeg
    DAAAANG...that was janky

Rabid Lana Fan
    ^ Yummy!

DJ, it's pouring down again this morning.

^ Yummy!

DJ, it's pouring down again this morning.
    I agree, yummy!

Get out there and film that waterfall again. By the way what camera did you film that with? Came out super clear.

Rabid Lana Fan
    iPhone 8

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I'm making progress on my 45LV project. I got it running and actually drove it around the 'hood. Hell, if this goes on long enough, I may finish it before summer. Except, of course for money... Oye!
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I was thinking about doing something along these lines- I have a small SUV I could help folks with, you have any suggestions how I could help folks out?
    We are helping some elderly people in our street with their shopping. Our direct neighbors are very limited in mobility and so they were first on the list. Then we have another elderly lady who we have been friendly with for many years who is also incapacitated after surgery, so we get her stuff too. There is a local community website called 'NEXTDOOR' which may be in your area too, and there is a vibrant support network for people on there too. People post up their needs, and whoever is able to will respond, be it with help in the house, bringing groceries or whatever. Thankfully the grocery stores are still fairly well stocked, you can usually get some things you need, at least enough to not starve!
    I also started a group online a few days ago for locals, which is growing steadily, and which has useful tips for what to do at home, and online links for helpful and positive resources.
    Also I would suggest you check with your local food bank if they need help running things around. We do some work with our community food bank prepping food sometimes, and they have needed help in the past getting things out there. Right now they are coverd, but that could change as things tighten up.

Edit: I might add we are lucky enough to be well stocked with gloves and fairly well with n95 masks, because of my wife's illness, so we are able to interact with people to a very limited degree. At least enough to get their groceries to them, and to be able to go into stores when we can to get stuff. We are very careful with cleaning up afterwards tho. Detergent bills for cleaning outerwear will be doubling! We did have some masks that we did not need, so those have gone to the health center.
    It's all Here. Now.

Wanna ride bikes?
    iPhone 8
    Fancy, you have to go through a specialist photography distributor for that?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

be1
    the beat goes on
    i'm seeing lots of kids in close contact in my 'hood - playing basketball, wrestling around, not avoiding contact. PARENTS - tell your kids that they can get the virus and they can spread it. teach them to give a Sh*t. this isnt going away. spreading it doesn't help.

best buy has a no-entry policy. you have to order on-line and pick up at the door. store employees bring your order out to you. it's a little in convenient if you need to shop, but it's ok if you know what you want.

mtbr member
    I expect all this irresistible inclination to mingle is rooted deeply in insecurity.

mtbr member
    saw an ASU cycling team go by this morning in a tight group.

Snow Dog

would be cool to see the top of that falls...the source. If that does not have a constant source that must be one damned big pool of water draining out

LET IT SNOW!

Rabid Lana Fan
    Fancy, you have to go through a specialist photography distributor for that?
    Nope. It just looks impressive cuz I know not to "vertical video". I wish all phone-filmakers would follow this simple rule.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    would be cool to see the top of that falls...the source. If that does not have a constant source that must be one damned big pool of water draining out
    It's pretty much at the bottom of the mountain. The water pools up in various places until it reaches maximum overload, then comes cascading down the sides of the mountain.

That particular spot is pretty dramatic.

Nope. It just looks impressive cuz I know not to "vertical video". I wish all phone-filmakers would follow this simple rule.
    I’ll have you know I’ve never vertically videoed, anything else would be more civilized.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Good for you...a true film-making pro. Vertical video is just so whack.

Good for you...a true film-making pro. Vertical video is just so whack.
    Your iPone 8 takes great video. Way better than my 6S.

Snow Dog
    I’ll have you know I’ve never vertically videoed, anything else would be more civilized.
    yeah...being a video, and technological boob, I wouldn't even think of turning the camera sideways to video...

LET IT SNOW!

Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    yeah...being a video, and technological boob, I wouldn't even think of turning the camera sideways to video...
    I’m vertically challenged that way.

Snow Dog
    That’s a beauty net! I love waterfalls

She’s at it again boys, just pulled this out of the oven. A little butter, a little honey, a little coffee then off we go to the creek for some kayaking tomorrow. We got in a really good ride today. It’s good to be me

Name:	28CAF23E-B3AF-49B9-85A0-8C9ACAFDC69B.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	642.1 KB 
ID:	1319263
    oh....my....gawd....

first of all, when scrolling down, I thought that was a pic of the sun...

and then when I stopped and saw what it was, I realized it probably has the healing energy of the sun!!!

I want!!

LET IT SNOW!

Snow Dog
    I’m vertically challenged that way.
    ...and now we are finding out it is no longer a challenge, but an accepted way of life!!

LET IT SNOW!

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    i'm seeing lots of kids in close contact in my 'hood - playing basketball, wrestling around, not avoiding contact. PARENTS - tell your kids that they can get the virus and they can spread it. teach them to give a Sh*t. this isnt going away. spreading it doesn't help.

best buy has a no-entry policy. you have to order on-line and pick up at the door. store employees bring your order out to you. it's a little in convenient if you need to shop, but it's ok if you know what you want.
    Greasy kids spreading germs.... Same as it ever was!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

well mannered lout
    Turns out I actually have less free time now than when I'm at work. Our schools did an amazing job rolling out the distance learning program, but keeping my autistic ADD daughter on task will take a large measure of vigilance. The state has school closed until 4/20, but the Governor said today that it's more than likely that in school instruction is done for the year.
    Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    Turns out I actually have less free time now than when I'm at work. Our schools did an amazing job rolling out the distance learning program, but keeping my autistic ADD daughter on task will take a large measure of vigilance. The state has school closed until 4/20, but the Governor said today that it's more than likely that in school instruction is done for the year.
    we are supposed to be closed till April 6th, but I also see that being extended...

LET IT SNOW!

I did my netwurker wiring today. Home run / router to living room and 2 bedrooms.

3 for 3 on correct signal paths

2 for 3 on remembering to put on the strain relief boots before crimping the connectors

Edit: I don't do this for a living. But I did leave my phone charger at a Holiday Inn Express last month.
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    My neighbor set this out in the trash.
    I dont have a road bike, and its about my size, so I am going to see how well I can clean it up, get some new tires, and ride it...

I already have the chain and cogs sitting in a vinegar/salt bath to break up the rust. I know that 6 speed chains and freewheels are cheap, but I want to see how good I can get this bike without spending any money...

Next I need to see if a buddy had the right freewheel tool since its smaller than a normal one...

I may put a flat bar and a thumb shifter on it.

OC Quarantine Activities-img_8722.heic.jpg

mtbr member

Try a couple of new alcohol stove designs.
    If you have a tutorial on the one you like best, works best, lightest, hardiest, most efficient etc., I'd definitely be interested in that.

Rabid Lana Fan
    We were hiking at lunch today, around that trail I posted last week. Got some iPhone footage, hopefully it shows what GoPros tend to do to your footage (The GoPro Effect) which basicly flattens out all the terrain you are riding.

The second clip is where we are trying to figure out a line so you don't have to go to the extreme left around the tree at the first ledge like I did in the ride video.

The third clip shows the approach to the rock-roller I made. Arthur made a smooth(ish) line way over on the far right side of that ledge.

Rabid Lana Fan
    I posted this earlier, but here's the ride video again.

Wanna ride bikes?
    A little OT but not entirely. Not a project but I did run some errands today (all by bike).

I supported a few small local businesses that were open, well, half open. Picked up a pound of coffee beans (best dark roast beans on Earth!!), bought a takeout burrito from the best burrito joint in town (so so good!), and grabbed a 4 pack of craft beer from a local brewery. All were takeout only.

Not that this is special in any way, it's what I would normally do on any given week, but when the underpaid employee looks you strait in the eye and says "thank you" as you hand them a tip, it really punctuates how much it is appreciated, and how lucky we should all feel if we're not in a position where the future is uncertain.

I've been shopping at the grocery store and cooking at home for the last two weeks for the most part. I specifically went out today to support a few local businesses. I was surprised at the reaction I got from this small gesture.

Up next... dropping off suspension components for service.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Maaaaan
    I'm mostly watching stuff online.
    Unfortunately, my forearms are developing asymmetrically
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member
    Ambatextrous

Wanna ride bikes?

It amuses me very much that when you simply type Quagmire into Google the first thing that pops up is "Big Arm".

And just for the record, he's a lefty.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OC Quarantine Activities-screen-shot-2020-03-26-8.30.13-pm.png  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

banned
    OC Quarantine Activities-daily-afternoon-randomness-49-photos-33-234.jpgi

Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    If you have a tutorial on the one you like best, works best, lightest, hardiest, most efficient etc., I'd definitely be interested in that.
    Will do. Any of my controlled tests are from a while back so I'll have to find the notes. But since then some better designs have come out, both commercial and DIY, so they're pretty OBE.

Here's something to get started (Jan. 2020): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pexDNx5LtdM

There's a link to all the stoves in his description. I'm going to try the cat can stove that starts at 13:17. I have an old basic design that works OK but since then they've added the tomato paste can.

I also want to try one made from an empty asthma inhaler canister. There are YT vids on this as well, but I plan to build it around a 2.5" dia. x 1" H aluminum sample container jar that weighs 13g with screw-on lid. The jar itself *should* hold the inhaler, a mini-BIC lighter, and some aluminum standoffs or stainless wire that I would use as a pot stand. The bottom of the jar would be the stove base and priming cup.

My current go-to is a Redbull version of this chimney stove, called a "mini-bull:" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5uYyt-fT9o

On my last hike it boiled 8 oz. of water in about 5 minutes, and 1/2 oz. of alcohol will continue burning for another minute. Note that my meals only take 8-10 oz. of water to rehydrate. So even the mini-bull is a bit overkill which is why I want to try the inhaler design.

I've tried the smallest tea light candle cup I could find, which barely registers on my 1-g scale. Not much you can do with it as far as burner jets or a focused chimney flame. It did boil 8 oz. of water before burning our but barely, IIRC.

One more thing is that some stove designs work much more efficiently with a properly designed and tuned conic wind screen. That's a whole other science in itself and while I have cut a couple (from aluminum catering pan lids I got at Smart & Final), I had to draw the line at that level of time suck.

Oh and my small pot is one of the discontinued 12 oz. Heineken keg cans. So my current kit (that plus the minibull stove, conic wind screen, lighter and small fuel bottle) is 73 grams.
    Go Fact Yourself.

NDD
    mtbr member
    So who's making creative bongs in quarantine? I've been mad rippin' on this rig I made from my steam boiler.
    dang

Pipe Dreamer

Name:	daily-afternoon-randomness-49-photos-33-234.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	1319751i
    Nailed it, lol!

Pipe Dreamer

Shes got quite a future ahead of her.

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Greasy kids spreading germs.... Same as it ever was!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    And you may find yourself
    Living in a shotgun shack
    And you may find yourself
    In another part of the world

A waste of time it is is
    Shes got quite a future ahead of her.
    Particularly if that video is played in reverse.

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    Particularly if that video is played in reverse.
    lol!

I don't have the skilz, maybe Net can revers it?

*Edit

Rabid Lana Fan
    I'll give it a shot.

lol!

*Edit

How’d you do that?

Rabid Lana Fan

Pipe Dreamer
    How’d you do that?
    I reversed it.

I reversed it.
    That’s the detail I was looking for. - roll-eyes.

ezgif.com is a fantastic online GIF creator / manipulator
    Go Fact Yourself.

ezgif.com is a fantastic online GIF creator / manipulator
    Why, thank you Sir!

Cycologist
    lol!

*Edit

uhhhhhh
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    uhhhhhh

Cycologist
    Ok, as a public service, I have performed a scientific experiment and gained some important information for you all. I kept reading about toilet paper hoarding and asked myself, how much tp does one need? I saw a few estimates that seemed way off from my guess.

So, last week I replaced a roll in one of our bathrooms that only I use and wrote the date with a sharpie inside the roll. That date was 3/18/20 and this was done after my morning dump. Today, 3/27/20, I replaced the roll, also after my morning dump. So a roll of tp lasts me 9 days.

A few notes:
    • I am a once a day dumper
    • This was a standard Costco "Kirkland" double ply tissue roll, "425 sheets per roll"
    • I used a little more paper each day to blow my nose
    • Twice I used some to squash house centipedes in accordance of our treaty of "if you stay in the basement, I'll leave you alone. Come upstairs and you're getting squashed".
    • I did not make any attempt to wipe conservatively nor was any job left incomplete.

Note: Your mileage, er, footage, may vary.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Anyone ever hear of gas buddy? It's a web site that you enter your location and it shows you where to find the cheapest gas.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/

I'm waiting for a similar web site to crop up..."Toilet Paper Buddy".

It's only a matter of time.

Pipe Dreamer
    Anyone ever hear of gas buddy? It's a web site that you enter your location and it shows you where to find the cheapest gas.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/

I'm waiting for a similar web site to crop up..."Toilet Paper Buddy".

It's only a matter of time.
    They could call it Assbuddy.com.

Rabid Lana Fan
    lol

mtbr member
    Will do. Any of my controlled tests are from a while back so I'll have to find the notes. But since then some better designs have come out, both commercial and DIY, so they're pretty OBE.

Here's something to get started (Jan. 2020): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pexDNx5LtdM

There's a link to all the stoves in his description. I'm going to try the cat can stove that starts at 13:17. I have an old basic design that works OK but since then they've added the tomato paste can.

I also want to try one made from an empty asthma inhaler canister. There are YT vids on this as well, but I plan to build it around a 2.5" dia. x 1" H aluminum sample container jar that weighs 13g with screw-on lid. The jar itself *should* hold the inhaler, a mini-BIC lighter, and some aluminum standoffs or stainless wire that I would use as a pot stand. The bottom of the jar would be the stove base and priming cup.

My current go-to is a Redbull version of this chimney stove, called a "mini-bull:" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5uYyt-fT9o

On my last hike it boiled 8 oz. of water in about 5 minutes, and 1/2 oz. of alcohol will continue burning for another minute. Note that my meals only take 8-10 oz. of water to rehydrate. So even the mini-bull is a bit overkill which is why I want to try the inhaler design.

I've tried the smallest tea light candle cup I could find, which barely registers on my 1-g scale. Not much you can do with it as far as burner jets or a focused chimney flame. It did boil 8 oz. of water before burning our but barely, IIRC.

One more thing is that some stove designs work much more efficiently with a properly designed and tuned conic wind screen. That's a whole other science in itself and while I have cut a couple (from aluminum catering pan lids I got at Smart & Final), I had to draw the line at that level of time suck.

Oh and my small pot is one of the discontinued 12 oz. Heineken keg cans. So my current kit (that plus the minibull stove, conic wind screen, lighter and small fuel bottle) is 73 grams.
    Cool beans, thanks for putting that together .
    I know exactly the Heineken can you speak of, and can see that being a good vessel.

Bikesexual
    I just wanted to note, that I too, am a once a day dumper.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

We had a knock-down drag-out series of thunderstorms come through last night with heavy downpours, hail and high winds. I haven't seen any downed trees / limbs around my yard but I'm almost hopeful for something to clean up just to break the monotony.

At least the hummingbird nest is intact. Mama's sitting on the eggs right now. I'm going to put up a feeder.

With the reduced traffic maybe it's time to get the road bike out.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Classic!
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

Cycologist
    We had a knock-down drag-out …
    I'm thinking "uh oh, someone's getting too much together time with their spouse."

mtbr member

Its sad I know what movie that is from.

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I'm thinking "uh oh, someone's getting too much together time with their spouse."
    Heh. I forgot where I saw it, but someone posted that after China lifted their lockdowns, filings for divorce went through the roof.

Meanwhile, I had a big list of stuff to go get at Home Despot, went to get my keys and wallet, and realized nothing on the list is so urgently needed that I should go risk myself or others for it.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Pipe Dreamer
    Its sad I know what movie that is from.
    Police Academy?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast