Non-padded MTB gloves- Mtbr.com

View Poll Results: Non padded gloves

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Exactly, my bike has 5" of padding built into the fork, padded gloves FTL.

3 25.00%
  • What, are my hand made of wet tissue paper?

3 25.00%
  • My grips are sof trubber, my for is 5" of soft, why do I need soft gloves on the soft on the soft?

3 25.00%
  • Huh, I've never actually though about this.

3 25.00%
    mtbr member

Non-padded MTB gloves

Why are they so hard to find?

The Giro Rivet is the only one I have found, I like them, but they redesigned them this year and the new ones don't fit as well as the old ones, bulky finger/thumb tips :-/

When I ask for non padded gloves at the store they look at me like I asked for the 347th digit of Pi.

Anyone know of any other non-padded full finger gloves?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Fox Dirtpaw.. Full finger. Very little palm padding. Fingers are cut a bit shorter than many other gloves...

mtbr member
    Today at my LBS i was looking at a whole wall of gloves and only found a few that were padded. I picked up the Dirtpaws because they were the most padded full finger glove they had. And in all reality I wouldn't call that padding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysop View Post
    Today at my LBS i was looking at a whole wall of gloves and only found a few that were padded. I picked up the Dirtpaws because they were the most padded full finger glove they had. And in all reality I wouldn't call that padding.
    I've got several other pairs of gel & foam padded palm gloves that make the dirtpaws palms feel paper thin..

mtbr member
    Fox Dirtpaw
    yes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by branthopolis View Post
    I've got several other pairs of gel & foam padded palm gloves that make the dirtpaws palms feel paper thin..
    Yea exactly, I was looking for something like what your talking about to solve my numb hands issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    661 Raji is what you need. No padding, well ventilated and practically unchanged through the years. Have been using them since 5-6 years.

Stefan

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have some fox digit gloves that have zero padding. The only thing in the leather palm is a little bit of added grip on the index and middle fingers. I love them. Plus they were really cheap.
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

Ride More, Work Less
    If you live near an REI, you might take a look. They have gloves for a variety of sports and you might find one you like. For example, I have a pair of cross country ski gloves I use for winter cycling. They are gore windstopper, not padded and have little grippy things on the palm and finger tips for grabbing the poles. They work great on grips and brakes.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    A lot of guys I know wear Mechanix original gloves. $20 and you're set.

In fact, I've been looking at hardware store gloves, and the higher-end stuff is almost directly comparable to full finger cycling specific gloves, with a sweat wipe and everything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by branthopolis View Post
    Fox Dirtpaw..
    Not quite what I am looking for, all that crap on the back of the gloves is a turn off for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sstefanov View Post
    661 Raji is what you need.
    That looks sweet! Thanks for the tip!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post

These are what I ride on gravity days and I'm liking them so much I've started thinking about getting pad-less gloves for my XC and road riding.

local trails rider
    I don't need anything that makes the grips feel fatter.

(suspension? I do have fat tires and rubber grips)

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

AZ
    banned
    Mechanix.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    When I ask for non padded gloves at the store they look at me like I asked for the 347th digit of Pi.
    I know that exact look. I've seen it frequently. I have a couple pairs of old Fox Sidewinder gloves. Not only did they lack padding, but they also lacked seams on the palm. LOVE those gloves. Fox still makes the Sidewinder, but they are a bit different.
    '19 Surly Krampus '18 Soma Wolverine '16 Giant Anthem SX '12 Soma Analog SS '07 Felt F1X '97 Schwinn Mesa SS '86 Fuji Club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysop View Post
    Yea exactly, I was looking for something like what your talking about to solve my numb hands issues.
    I found that glove padding was actually aggravating my hand numbness issues. Once I switched to gloves with no padding the numbness became less of a problem. Seems odd, but it worked for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zyzbot View Post
    I found that glove padding was actually aggravating my hand numbness issues. Once I switched to gloves with no padding the numbness became less of a problem. Seems odd, but it worked for me.
    My thoughts as well. I used to be fine with padded gloves but recently have been having numbness issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zyzbot View Post
    I had the same experiance.
    The padding was making a raised point on one part of my hand and that part was more sore then the rest of my hand due to the extra pressure.

All gloves should prevent chaffing and blisters and keep grip when sweating or wet.
    Boxing gloves need padding, not biking gloves. lol

I think anyone who wants padded gloves probably needs a padded grip instead.
    The padding, is best left on the handle bar grip in my opinion.
    Then you have a uniform padding that wont fatigue from uneven pressure on your hand.

I did have to search hard for a cushy grip that also worked well, but it was so worth it!

Giant Sole-O Lock-On Grips - www.bikeconnection.com

Giant Sole-O BMX Grips - www.bikeconnection.com

I have had a lot of riders ask me where I got these because they want one just like it, once they see it and feel it.
    They are really inexpensive too and last a long time.
    I ride around my neighborhood without gloves sometimes now because they do not get slippery with sweat.

Retired User
    +1 on Fox Dirtpaw. Usually $18-20

banned
    Feb 2012
    661 Raji
    Fox DirtPaw

Both can be had for little shekel.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post

In fact, I've been looking at hardware store gloves, and the higher-end stuff is almost directly comparable to full finger cycling specific gloves, with a sweat wipe and everything.

Thats what I use and I love them.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    661 raji's .great bar feel. mesh top keeps hands cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul.C View Post
    I have some fox digit gloves that have zero padding. The only thing in the leather palm is a little bit of added grip on the index and middle fingers. I love them. Plus they were really cheap.
    +1

great gloves.

Huckin' trails
    Mechanix. Plus their winter edition seems killer for cold weather riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    If you have a Home Depot nearby, these are great and only $10.
    General Purpose- Large-2001L at The Home Depot

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I use a pair of mechanic work gloves. I wouldnt call it padding but more like "reinforced" around the palm. Also on the back of the gloves have a rubber armor covering all knuckles. They are full finger and the rest of the areas are meshlike. The best glove I've ever owned. Use it for landscaping/work/ and mtb rides.
    They fit slim and don't have that bulky glove thing where you can't grab anything with precision.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Mechanix. Plus their winter edition seems killer for cold weather riding.
    That's what I have! Couldn't remember the name.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just bought some nice North Face MTB Gloves from zappos.com. They were $27.

I would post the link to zappos for the North Face Slant glove which is a bit different from the ones I got, but I don't have 10 posts yet.

zappos.com/the-north-face-slant-mtb-glove-black

mtbr member
    Take your padded gloves,
    turn inside out,
    Make small cut in middle of pad/gel area @1/4" then get tweezers and pull out "gel" that's what they call it but their not fooling us! It's foam!!
    Anyways... This trick works and the area you've selected to do the foamadectamy is now double layer anti blister.
    Try it! You'll be glad you did!
    .....the end

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    I'll +1 the 661 Raji. I've used the Fox and Giro gloves and keep going back to the Rajis time after time. They're great for 'cross too as they've got fantastic feel. I use 661s for road, cross and MTB; 3 seasons worth. When it gets colder I switch to a Swix thin insulated nordic ski glove. That is how much I hate padded gloves.

I not only want a thin, unpadded glove, but I also LOATHE velcro tabs on my gloves. They tend to chafe and seem to aggravate some minor CPT issues I sometimes have.

Members who have read this thread: 1