non-iPad tablets...what do you use?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

non-iPad tablets...what do you use?

Thinking about getting a tablet, can't afford an iPad and honestly not sure I'd want one anyways. There are loads of option that I see, what do you use and what do you like and not like about it?

What I want is something that has Wi-Fi and a decent amount of storage, 16GB +. Other than that, not sure...lots of research to do.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

Life Is Short
    Seriously. Do you really want to become
    ONE OF THEM?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails non-iPad tablets...what do you use?-o.jpg  

GONE
    Nov 2008
    LOL, E! Those are texters (iphone), not tableters (ipad)! You're getting the two confused. Tableters generally remain "stationery" when "tableting".

By the way, what's your cell phone number? We need to start texting...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I use an asus transformer with the keyboard dock, and my wife has an HP touchpad that is dual booted with webos and android ICS.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    '09 Jamis Dragon One "one gear, one brake lever, lots of carbon and steel."

MYSINGLESPEED.COM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Seriously. Do you really want to become
    ONE OF THEM?
    I do that already. Anyways, I want one mostly for around the house...I hate lugging my laptop around when chillin on the couch and it would be nice for trips to have something a little better than my phone for internet connection while on the road, and the kids can watch movies and play games.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

Former Bike Wrench
    I'm holding out for a Ubuntu tablet...but my wife likes her Nook 16gb that she got on Groupon for $169 with a case.

16GB Barnes & Noble NOOK Groupon | $169 | Stretching a Buck

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have a kindle fire. 199.00. It has an android processor. Its a great little machine, and I can break 3 of them for the cost of an iPad.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by jarwes View Post
    I have a kindle fire. 199.00. It has an android processor. Its a great little machine, and I can break 3 of them for the cost of an iPad.
    A transsexual wearing womenís clothing is still not technically a woman. Just saying.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

Quiet Professional
    I love my asus transform. You can get a tf101 for 250 or less. It is a great dual core tablet and not sure i personally need more than a dual core. I have the 32gig version and a sd slot that i use a 64gig micro sd card. It cant be beat for the price.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Yeah, the Asus looks good from what I've been reading. It will end up top of the list. I am waiting to see what the new Xbox Surface pricing will be. I figure it will be up there with the iPad, but the info out on it looks pretty sweet. I don't want to wait until next year though.

mtbr member
    I use the Asus Transformer with keyboard dock, Motorola Xoom with speaker dock, and the HTC Flyer. I like the Transformer, because it's allot lighter to use, compared to my laptop. I like using the Xoom as a desk clock, quick access to Facebook statuses, and quick display of daily news & weather. I like using the HTC Flyer, because it being a 7" screen, makes it nice and portable.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

banned
    Jan 2012

And this:

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    the google nexus 7 is shipping and rather nice ( from playing with one we got to test with in the office).

my biggest problems with the kindle fire and nook tablet is lack of bluetooth. which prevents use of wireless speakers (nice in the bedroom)/headphones and my obdii scanner (useful engine diagnostic tool). and lack of GPS ( which defeats mounting it in the car as a stereo upgrade/navigation tool).

most of the rest of the tablets out there are priced where i might as well buy another ipad.

since 4/10/2009
    I want a tablet with two main features:

1. full-sized SD card slot
    2. USB host capability

USB host capability is becoming pretty common now, thankfully. The full-sized SD card slot is not so simple. They're all f'n micro SD. ALL of my cameras are full-sized SD (2 P&S cameras, 1 DSLR, 1 GoPro).

I want a full sized SD card slot so I can use the thing while traveling to empty my camera memory cards and offload the photos onto a portable hard drive. Lugging the laptop on the plane just for this is a royal PITA.

So far, the only moderately priced one I've seen lately that does such a thing is the older Toshiba Thrive. it gets fairly lukewarm reviews, and IMO, probably not worth the price I see it for these days, considering that it's an older tablet model.

my laptop might only have about a year left before it goes belly up, and I'd like to replace it with a tablet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I want a full sized SD card slot so I can use the thing while traveling to empty my camera memory cards and offload the photos onto a portable hard drive. Lugging the laptop on the plane just for this is a royal PITA.
    considering most of my sd cards are larger than the internal storage of most tablets im confused by this. there are already several sd card to hard drive devices out there of various sizes ( mostly 250+gb).

something like this would be more appropriate i think
    Wolverine PicPac II 320GB Digital Camera and Camcorder 7632 B&H

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Slozomby View Post
    considering most of my sd cards are larger than the internal storage of most tablets im confused by this. there are already several sd card to hard drive devices out there of various sizes ( mostly 250+gb).

something like this would be more appropriate i think
    Wolverine PicPac II 320GB Digital Camera and Camcorder 7632 B&H
    I tried something similar, with a 500GB HDD. it was not worth its weight in lead. I tore it apart, kept the HDD, and threw away the rest of it after it did nothing more than take up space on a vacation earlier this year.

did you miss where I said I would offload images to an external hard drive?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I tried something similar, with a 500GB HDD. it was not worth its weight in lead. I tore it apart, kept the HDD, and threw away the rest of it after it did nothing more than take up space on a vacation earlier this year.

did you miss where I said I would offload images to an external hard drive?
    how about this instead?
    ASUS - Tablets- ASUS Eee Slate EP121
    or this
    ASUS - Tablets- ASUS ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T

both will do what you want.

since 4/10/2009
    while that Transformer is very nice, it has the full-size SD slot in the keyboard. and bringing that peripheral would probably require me to open it like a laptop at airport security, one of the big hassles of lugging the laptop while traveling. earlier Transformers were like this, which is why I ruled them out. A regular tablet does not need to be opened from its case, which makes security a bit easier to deal with.

The Eee Slate is much like what I'm after. Thanks for posting that option.

It's very 'spensive, though. $700 on Amazon for the 32GB version. which makes sense, as it's essentially a laptop, anyway. I'd prefer Android OS, though, to be honest. Wonder how hard it would be to wipe it and install Android? Rooting Android is one thing, but installing a fresh copy seems like it'd be something else entirely.

Live 2 Ride
    We got our daughter a Toshiba Thrive tablet. Runs the Android OS. Pretty good tablet, has plenty good features.
    My Bike: '19 Liv Tempt 2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Wonder how hard it would be to wipe it and install Android? Rooting Android is one thing, but installing a fresh copy seems like it'd be something else entirely.
    unless someone has a prebuilt image then your writing custom kernel mods which is neither fun nor easy. the x64 android tree is nearly non existent.

i hear it works ok in ubuntu and i know theres a couple of different hackintosh builds floating around.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Fujitsu Tablet Pc win7

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Slozomby View Post
    unless someone has a prebuilt image then your writing custom kernel mods which is neither fun nor easy. the x64 android tree is nearly non existent.

i hear it works ok in ubuntu and i know theres a couple of different hackintosh builds floating around.
    I figured as much

clown question, bro
    I have a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tab. I love it though it lacks features that newer tabs have such as a USB input or SD card slot (without the use of adapters).

Now if only Ice Cream Sandwich will be released for it in the US. I've been waiting for months. Meanwhile, Google's already came out with Jellybean
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    motorola xoom. works well for browsing, emails, light work (5250 emulator), kids movies.

mtbr member
    I just got my wife a 16g Nexus 7, it seems like a nice piece of equipment. I haven't gotten to play with it much, since it's her toy. I have read a lot about it and for the price of 200 bones most reviewers think it is about the best small tablet/reader out at that price point. It is almost Ipad good, but lacks in dedicated apps and screen size comparatively.

mtbr member
    I have the Google Nexus 7 16GB as well. Cost AU$298 (bloody Australian tax) but still the cheapest tablet around. 7" screen, running 1280x800 resolution, means it is small enough to lug around while big enough for web browsing, email, games, etc. The Nexus is fairly powerful too with its Nvidia Tegra 3 quad-core CPU (and a ridiculous 12-core GPU or something). Better yet is that it will always receive updates as soon as they're released, being a Nexus series.
    Just need to wait for the proper cases to be released...
    And while some may moan about the lack of 3G/4G, i just use my portable WiFi hotspot. Does the same job and I can connect more stuff to it if i need to.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Missus pretty much took over my Acer A500 so I am ordering the Nexus 7. For me, the biggest benefit of tablets in this season is no generated heat to speak of unlike the notebooks that feel like small domesticated power plants.

mtbr member
    Nexus tablet looks really nice but I really want to nab a used 16GB Nook, open it up mod the chip and flash Jellybean on it. Then you have a 16GB Nexus with a better battery and larger harddrive, but with no warranty.

Rooting droid phones is easy enough, I cant image having an Android tablet and being limited to a stock build.

mtbr member
    I still would love to see the pricing for the Microsoft tablet coming out next year. Has a 250gb HD and will run the full version of W8.

Until then, the Nexas does look very nice. Just wish they had a 32gb or larger version.

mtbr member
    I started with the Thrive (heavy and sluggish) and now have the Transformer with the dock. Again, it seems sluggish compared to my kids iPad. Everything else about the Transformer, IMHO, beats the Thrive I had.
    I'm with some of the others...looking at the Nexus.
    The Dude abides.

mtbr member
    In addition to my original iPad (which I prefer on flights and for general use) I have a now discontinued tosh a thrive. Decent tegra processor in it and full size ports! Full size sd card, USB and hdmi. Plus it has a barrel power connector and a power supply that looks like it is from a netbook (way more rugged, easier to replace, actually charges the thing while it's in use). Oh and replaceable battery. Super sturdy, a little thick, but that's what you get wi full size ports and an easily replaceable battery. Toshiba changed their mind and went with skinny tablets to compete with the Samsung tablet etc. One of my customers uses them in a commercial setting and so far they've stood up to it quite well.

That being said, the iPad and my android phone get a lot more use. I prefer the aspect ratio of the iPad for general use. It works so much better in landscape. I'm currently sourcing some 12" android tablets for a project. There should be some available by 4th quarter, early 2013 at the latest. Technically they are sub 12", but bigger than 11(11.6 iirc). Personally I think a tablet that is basically the size of a sheet of paper would be much more useful.

I didn't get much time on an ics android tablet to compare the keyboard to honeycomb. I really did not like the keyboard in honeycomb on a tablet. Maybe I was just used to using an iPad (which I can basically touch pe on), but it just didn't seem as responsive or easy to use. I heard the keyboard in ics was better, but for the testing stuff I was doing I didn't need to use the keyboard much.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dubbreak View Post
    I didn't get much time on an ics android tablet to compare the keyboard to honeycomb. I really did not like the keyboard in honeycomb on a tablet. Maybe I was just used to using an iPad (which I can basically touch pe on), but it just didn't seem as responsive or easy to use. I heard the keyboard in ics was better, but for the testing stuff I was doing I didn't need to use the keyboard much.
    Some 3rd party apps offer pretty good keyboard alternatives for Android. I bought the SlideIT app when on sale for $.01 and it has been great. Btw. the Nexus 7 is a very nice and compact gadget, they are slowly getting there. To me it feels like the Tegra 3 has finally enough horsepower for frustration-free web browsing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Some 3rd party apps offer pretty good keyboard alternatives for Android. I bought the SlideIT app when on sale for $.01 and it has been great. Btw. the Nexus 7 is a very nice and compact gadget, they are slowly getting there. To me it feels like the Tegra 3 has finally enough horsepower for frustration-free web browsing.
    Yeah, I knew there were better alternatives but as it's primarily for work I didn't bother (as it has to run the same software as the other tablets). I like that you can change the keyboard, but the stock one should not suck. I think there must have been a rush to tabletize what to that point was a phone OS.

For me the Tegra 2 was fine, so I figure the tegra 3 is [email protected] I had no problem running videos over the hdmi cable. I did notice some slowdown on flash heavy sites. That's flash though.

I'm curious about the 7" form factor. I could see it being really handy in certain uses. Haven't had a change to play with one though. My next Android purchase will probably be a Galaxy Nexus phone (next time I'm in the US since it's way cheaper to buy directly from Google.. which you can't currently do in Canada. It's a $200+ mark up).

I had tablet before I had a smartphone (slow adopter on the smartphone thing), and since I've gotten one I've found my tablet use has gone down dramatically. I use it for reading mainly (magazine on zinio, various news sources) and watching movies on planes (use my laptop in hotels). I even pulled my email accounts off the tablet as I now use my phone for that when on the go.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Just got the Nexus 7; it has a quad core processor. I like it so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Sold my iPad 2 and picked up a used K Fire. Better form factor for reading, way lighter, and does everything I need it to do: read books, email, and web. 1/4 the price of the iPad. Will prob upgrade to Fire 2 in the fall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sumgai View Post
    Sold my iPad 2 and picked up a used K Fire. Better form factor for reading, way lighter, and does everything I need it to do: read books, email, and web. 1/4 the price of the iPad. Will prob upgrade to Fire 2 in the fall.
    Which brings up a good point: what you are going to use the tablet for makes a huge difference in what to get.

Of course it's hard to know for sure until you get one.

For reading I love the monochrome ebook readers. So much easier on the eyes. But I don't read that much. My wife on the other hand is an avid reader and is finding her ipad is not so good for reading (though she hated the page flip on the ereaders she has tried so far.. so.. hard to please).

mtbr member
    LOL...I just went back and read my post from a week ago. I ordered the Nexus 7 that day and got it last night. After 6 straight hours of geekdom beating-off, I can say that this is the best tablet out of the three I have gone through in the last year.
    Fast, very fast. Loading pictures off of this site is ten times faster than my Transformer.
    The size is ok. I'm a big guy with big fingers but I find the 7" screen to work just as well as the 10" tabs I've had.
    Jelly Bean (4.1.1), on the other hand, takes some getting use to. Not in a bad way, just I found myself trying to get my screens to look like my ICS setups.
    With Apple getting ready to put out the "mini Ipad", I can see these smaller tablets being the next rave.
    The Dude abides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tubby74 View Post
    motorola xoom. works well for browsing, emails, light work (5250 emulator), kids movies.
    I have this as well. Good little gadget, that people dont really pay attention to

mtbr member
    I was thinking of this invention. It would be like an I Pad, but it would have a bottom part perpendicular so you could set it down and wouldn't have to hold it. I was even thinking that the bottom part could have a keyboard so you wouldn't always have a smudgy screen. And the thing would fold up when you weren't using it.
    What do you think?

Quiet Professional
    Sounds like asus transformer lol.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

banned
    Feb 2012
    My Nexus 7 died. Last time it was fine was at an airport before boarding a plane. Something happened to it over the Atlantic. It would not turn on any more, neither charging nor attempts to reset it worked. Good thing is, Google is sending me a new unit without any questions asked.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    It has an android processor. Its a great little machine, and I can break 3 of them for the cost of an iPad.

Members who have read this thread: 0