NFL 2019..thread. Discuss the season here:- Mtbr.com
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury

NFL 2019..thread. Discuss the season here:

Iím not a huge NFL football fan but I pay attention.

And now without further ado ladies and gentleman starting the 2019 season we have this.

Quite a role model here:

https://sports.yahoo.com/patriots-cu...201440184.html

NFL 2019..thread. Discuss the season here:-802d9fae-7ab6-4fe2-bace-812a40288695.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Up In Smoke
    AB is a joke, literally. Anyone see that show on fox 'the masked singer'?

Gardner Minshew is a stud

Just about every other play has a flag thrown, DVR these games because watching live is a waste of time.

Go Raiders!

Rabid Lana Fan
    Could it be? The Cleveland Browns might not suck too much this year?
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Up In Smoke
    Yeah, the Browns look pretty good....

Ö.when matched up against the Jets

Rabid Lana Fan
    lol

Bikesexual
    Go Chargers!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Straight out tha traila
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Go Raiders!
    Big Seahawks fan here but looking forward to our new team next year!!!!!!

F AB!

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

well mannered lout
    I wasn't all in on the AB signing, but it kind of fell in line with how the Patriots do things....giant upside if it works with little cost when it falls apart. So they don't lose their minds about allegations but cut his ass as soon as he proves he's a scum bag when he's on the team....football business. Meanwhile Brown leaves more than $30M on the table in less than 2 weeks. I'm sure as hell rooting for Josh Gordon to pull through now that we see the difference between a guy who has troubles and a guy who IS trouble.

Is it 1/5 of the starting QBs out in week 3? The season is kind of a mess.

Hard to watch players work the system NBA style.

Hard to watch the Dolphins tank MLB style.

Still love football when it's played well. I love trick plays and break-out stars and last plays that win the game ( even when they come from the defense!)
    Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

since 4/10/2009
    The loss of starting QB's this season is nuts. And holy crap, it was hard to be a Colts fan when the Luck retirement got leaked mid-game. I hope the staffer that leaked it got fired (at least I hope it was just a staffer who threw Luck under the bus). I genuinely liked him, and hope he's happy about his decision. There IS a precedent for sudden retirements, though, and I think we'll see more of these as players get fed up with the mental beat-down, especially when repeated injuries are factors.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-happened-next

I think players working the system NBA style is, in part, the other side of the repeated injury mental beat-down. If that's always a risk you have to think about as a player (which includes the chronic brain injury issues that can follow you the rest of your life), then there's a really high motivation for players to cash in early so that in case they flame out fast, they can fall back on their earnings and do something new with them. And I'm sure that working in an environment you enjoy working within (teammates, front office, etc) is part of it, too. Not much different than all the rest of us when we look for a new job. Doing the daily grind goes much easier when you get along with your supervisor(s) and your coworkers.

With that said, I think some of them are handling it smarter than others. AB was not smart about it. I don't think most of the running backs have been especially smart about it. In their cases, their teams have been able to replace them for much less money. If you're going to try to hold out long term for more money or a better contract or whatever, you might want to make sure all your bases are covered and that your strategy is sound. Holding out because you want a new contract when you've got 2yrs left on your rookie deal, and the system is set up to penalize you in various ways for doing that is not playing the system intelligently.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I genuinely liked him, and hope he's happy about his decision.
    Not sure if he is being sarcastic here, complimenting the defensive players that are knocking him around, but I don't think so. I think he is just a genuine nice guy.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Not sure if he is being sarcastic here, complimenting the defensive players that are knocking him around, but I don't think so. I think he is just a genuine nice guy.
    I'm not sure he's capable of being sarcastic. Nice guy, super dorky. Had a book club, enjoys playing Settlers of Catan, stuff like that.

Of course, it took too long for the team to get him some real protection. By the time they did, the damage was done. Think about how he'd have reacted to those years with zero protection if he had a bad attitude. In all honesty, he's got legitimate reasons to be upset with the team's management (especially the ones that got cleared out before last season).

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post

Nah, he's just a player respecting the game in the same vein as pitcher tipping the hat to a guy that put a good swing on a good pitch and just put his head down and started trotting.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Rabid Lana Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    Nah, he's just a player respecting the game in the same vein as pitcher tipping the hat to a guy that put a good swing on a good pitch and just put his head down and started trotting.
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I concluded, too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Panthers fan and they are having a crap start to the season. Cam is out with an injury, so Kyle Allen will start. Will be interesting to see how he does, he's a bit of an unknown, but he did give the Panther's their only win out of the past 10 games in his one start (against backups though).

Crazy whats been going on with all the QB this season.

Up In Smoke
    Are we going to see anyone bring in Kaepernick?

Pretty stoked for David Fales getting a spot on the Jets. Played against him in high school, big time rivalry back then, stoked for him now.

the half breed devil
    I'm not sure he's capable of being sarcastic. Nice guy, super dorky. Had a book club, enjoys playing Settlers of Catan, stuff like that.

Of course, it took too long for the team to get him some real protection. By the time they did, the damage was done. Think about how he'd have reacted to those years with zero protection if he had a bad attitude. In all honesty, he's got legitimate reasons to be upset with the team's management (especially the ones that got cleared out before last season).
    remember, jim irsay got busted with a bag of cash and pills in 2014. i think this incident might reflect on how the team is run...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    remember, jim irsay got busted with a bag of cash and pills in 2014. i think this incident might reflect on how the team is run...
    Jim Irsay isn't the most measured owner out there, but he's far from the worst. The crew he's got in place now seems to know what they're doing as far as how to build a TEAM. That took a whole lot less than everybody thought.

the half breed devil
    Jim Irsay isn't the most measured owner out there, but he's far from the worst. The crew he's got in place now seems to know what they're doing as far as how to build a TEAM. That took a whole lot less than everybody thought.
    you have a point there. as a niner fan, i've witnessed this first hand. maybe things are changing in the bay, but we'll see.

I know this is college ball but too good not to share.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ls-us-adria...180853227.html
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm a die hard Chargers fan, and Rivers is the toughest QB
    in the league. However KC's QB Mahomes is so good and
    so much fun to watch, whats not to like.

well mannered lout
    Name:  poor sam.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  10.2 KB

Did the Jets run more than one offensive play in Patriots territory? Wow they're bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    I'm a die hard Chargers fan, and Rivers is the toughest QB
    in the league. However KC's QB Mahomes is so good and
    so much fun to watch, whats not to like.
    I've always liked Rivers. Feels like he's been around forever and day now, but still solid and has Keenan.

Every now and again, a kid like Mahomes shows up and blows everyone away.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    My Steelers are in trouble. I'm having flashbacks to the late 80's/early 90's./

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I quit watching football about ten years ago and I do not miss it at all. Freed up my Sundays.
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I quit watching football about ten years ago and I do not miss it at all. Freed up my Sundays.
    This is where I'm at for the most part, for the NFL anyway. ~75% of games are unwatchable. Sunday's about the only day of the week I can ride. I do enjoy checking in to a college game or 2 on Saturdays between chores.

That said:

Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Every now and again, a kid like Mahomes shows up and blows everyone away.
    After my ride Sunday I crashed on the couch and caught some of the KC-BAL game. What a show by Mahomes and Lamar Jackson.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

be1
    the beat goes on
    refs called so many penalties on the browns in their first game they made the titans look good. way to go refs. stop calling so many dam penalties.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    refs called so many penalties on the browns in their first game they made the titans look good. way to go refs. stop calling so many dam penalties.
    eighteen penalties for 182 yards seems like a discipline/preparedness issue. that, and the three interceptions don't help. nor does going 1-10 on third down.

just sayin'...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    eighteen penalties for 182 yards seems like a discipline/preparedness issue. that, and the three interceptions don't help. nor does going 1-10 on third down.

just sayin'...
    Depends on how many were offensive holding. That had gotten so far out of hand the VP of Officiating had a conference call to tell the refs to knock it off.

the half breed devil
    Depends on how many were offensive holding. That had gotten so far out of hand the VP of Officiating had a conference call to tell the refs to knock it off.

now that you say it, i thought i'd heard something about this but didn't pay attention. at any rate, i wonder how many of those third down attempts were third and long as the result of holding penalties?

the box score shows at a glance the states were pretty even except for penalties and turnovers. (the titans were only 2-10 on second downs)

i think it's rare a rebuilding team commits three turnovers in an NFL game and gets away with it. the 49ers were minus three against the steelers, i know but i think they were the first team to give up the ball five times and win in like five thousand years or something.

i'm from ohio. i used to root for the browns and bengals before i moved to california and sometimes still do. i'd love to see either team back in the super bowl before my expiration date but i'm not building my hopes too high.

that goes for the niners as well.

BTW, who's got the best chance of advancing to at least their respective conference final (and why) in the next five years: the san francisco forty niners or the cleveland browns.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    BTW, who's got the best chance of advancing to at least their respective conference final (and why) in the next five years: the san francisco forty niners or the cleveland browns.
    Browns, solely due to having the QB with the most upside.

the half breed devil
    Browns, solely due to having the QB with the most upside.

yeah, jimmy G is definitely not the savior of the niners.

well mannered lout
    The 49ers will have to get past the Rams in their own division or they're on the road playing WC games. Looking at a 5 year window, the Browns should have it easier.

Still...the Browns as an organization have a lot of work to do before they can be trusted to do much damage.

well mannered lout

Straight out tha traila
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    That interception was sick! My 'hawks are 4-1, defense is shaky, legion of boom is def over. They got lucky on that last missed kick but a super good game!
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

Itís Sunday, either youíre riding, hopefully. Or working hopefully not. Or watching the games. I do all of the above some of the time but not all of the time, you?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Chargers suck. That is all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Panthers won again. Only saw highlights but Allen looked good and McCaffrey is on fire! Hope the winning streak continues!

Up In Smoke
    I don't say this very often but I really enjoyed watching the Jets play last weekend.

mtbr member
    AB is a joke, literally. Anyone see that show on fox 'the masked singer'?

Gardner Minshew is a stud

Just about every other play has a flag thrown, DVR these games because watching live is a waste of time.

Go Raiders!
    Minshew a stud? Put him out to pasture.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

Broncos shut out the Titans on Sunday. Even though they kicked their way through, at least it was a win. Iím optimistic these days after Manning retired and our team has suffered some major ups and downs since. Being used to being up was boring.

Bring it KC on Thursday.

mtbr member
    Where do the Packers send their thank you note to the league officials? While a Packer fan, Detroit got hosed.

well mannered lout
    [QUOTE=DIRTJUNKIE;14375397] Being used to being up was boring.

[/QUOTE
    We've figured it out in NE. Pats are 6-0 and everyone is still miserable about how the team looks. Being "up" isn't really a thing here for a lot of people here. ( the Bruin's David Pasternak scored 4 last night but there's bitching about the 2nd and 3rd lines not producing....unbelievable)

This week....

Officiating is still brutal.

Generally speaking there was a lot of sloppy football this weekend. Lots of missed tackles and lots of dropped balls.

How good is Russell Wilson so far!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Chargers still suck.

The Chargers still suck.
    I admire your perseverance. I gave up on them the minute they announced moving to L.A.
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    I admire your perseverance. I gave up on them the minute they announced moving to L.A.
    +| here. I actually gave up on them during the Spanos reign, early in. They were no Gene Klein.

mtbr member
    The Chargers still suck.
    But the LA football fans suck more. The chargers game looked and sounded like a home Steelers game and the Rams game looked like a 49ers game. That is down right embarrassing.

mtbr member
    I don't say this very often but I really enjoyed watching the Jets play last weekend.
    You are correct. What a win...helps having Darnold back.

Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    +| here. I actually gave up on them during the Spanos reign, early in. They were no Gene Klein.
    My interest steadily waned starting with the Ryan Leaf debacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    But the LA football fans suck more. The chargers game looked and sounded like a home Steelers game and the Rams game looked like a 49ers game. That is down right embarrassing.
    I wasn't surprised about the chargers game but I wasn't expecting that sea of red at the coliseum.
    Go Fact Yourself.

be1
    the beat goes on
    Broncos shut out the Titans on Sunday. Even though they kicked their way through, at least it was a win. Iím optimistic these days after Manning retired and our team has suffered some major ups and downs since. Being used to being up was boring.

Bring it KC on Thursday.
    bragging about a win over the titns? you must get excited after a good poop, too. lol.

i'm a titans fan. titans are awful. no offense. MMariota is benched - it's the titans only hope to save the season. best hope is 7-9, 8-8 as usual. need to lose more so they can get one of the top QBs in the draft.

bragging about a win over the titns? you must get excited after a good poop, too. lol.
    Sadly, I actually do. Happened just yesterday in fact.

i'm a titans fan. titans are awful. no offense. MMariota is benched - it's the titans only hope to save the season. best hope is 7-9, 8-8 as usual. need to lose more so they can get one of the top QBs in the draft.
    Well then you are used to it. Iíve been a fan of a winning, winning team for decades, and now this. Not just my enthusiasm but the state itself in a height of euphoria to a downslope of depression.

Up In Smoke
    Coming off of back to back losses against the Colts and Texans, can the Chiefs rebound? I'm hoping for a good game tonight, but really hoping the Broncos can bring it. AFC West rivalry...Go Raiders!!

Snow Dog
    My Steelers are in trouble. I'm having flashbacks to the late 80's/early 90's./
    I hear ya....

or as I have been thinking to make my self feel good : we are just giving the rest of the AFC North a running start

and I am probably in the minority who still likes pro over college. I do like and follow Notre Dame, but man, most of the first 7 games in any league are yawn-fests due to the obscenely mis-matched ability levels for tv royalties...luckily ND is still Independent, so some of the early games are worth watching...
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

the half breed devil
    i don't know what to think of the niners. i keep waiting for an extended slump...

be1
    the beat goes on
    Well then you are used to it. Iíve been a fan of a winning, winning team for decades, and now this. Not just my enthusiasm but the state itself in a height of euphoria to a downslope of depression.
    yeah - it's tough being a fan of a sh!tty team. the first 2-3 years of titans was pretty good. mcnair era was awesome. then --- what happened? frustrating.

need to be able to pick a decent qb. they havent cracked the code yet.

so - what about the KC game last night?

so - what about the KC game last night?
    What game? All I saw was a 4 hour QB sack practice.

What game? All I saw was a 4 hour QB sack practice.
    LOL. I was wondering if they'd get the single game record (I think it's 12).
    Go Fact Yourself.

LOL. I was wondering if they'd get the single game record (I think it's 12).
    I think they were lucky enough to end just shy of that. I donít recall ever seeing a game with that many sacks. I bet Flacco is feeling it today.

be1
    the beat goes on
    I think they were lucky enough to end just shy of that. I donít recall ever seeing a game with that many sacks. I bet Flacco is feeling it today.
    i think the total was 9 sacks. funny though - kc D looked like crap against the texans on sunday.

Snow Dog
    so it looks like Ohio is just passing the "suck" from North to South this year...what's up with the Bungles?

and the whole AFC North? My Steelers are not faring much better...

LET IT SNOW!

NFL 2019..thread. Discuss the season here:-ehxwt9eucaa4hjm.jpg
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ yes, and the Chargers still suck.

be1
    the beat goes on
    Pats 33 - Jets 0

J-E-T-S. suck, suck, suck.

well mannered lout
    Pats 33 - Jets 0

J-E-T-S. suck, suck, suck.
    More than half the league sucks this year. With Mahomes out against Green Bay, the only other game worth watching this week might be Carolina @ SF.

be1
    the beat goes on
    More than half the league sucks this year. With Mahomes out against Green Bay, the only other game worth watching this week might be Carolina @ SF.
    true. the quality of sports these days is not that great - too much expansion/too little quality athletes.

Up In Smoke
    Patriots traded away the wrong QB?

Damn, Tyreek Hills speed is unrivaled in this league

Vinatieri sure did shank that one. Tough year to be a Colts fan.

Competition in the NFC West may rekindle my interest in the league.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Up In Smoke
    Competition in the NFC West may rekindle my interest in the league.
    We're in for a good one come Monday night. I typically ignore all this Seattle Seahawks but Wilson sure has been getting a lot of hype lately.

well mannered lout
    Patriots traded away the wrong QB?
    I'm not convinced that Jimmy is any better than Tom. Lets see if Isaiah Wynn can stay on the field for more than a game or two to keep Brady from being blind-sided. Anyway, it was good to see the Pat.s in an actual contest. QB's are allowed to have bad days...Arron Rogers and Kirk Cousins both stumbled this week.

How about Buddha Baker!!! On a lesser team, but a giant killer...the Cardinals fought hard.https://www.azcardinals.com/video/bu...9ers-in-week-9

I'm not sure if Lamar Jackson is going to be successful long term, but for now every single snap is exciting. I got to see him a lot in college and he was electric!

Little bit gutted about Cam Newton and Joe Flacco.

How to kill your own very prosperous career in 1...2...3.

https://sports.yahoo.com/antonio-bro...182421339.html

NFL 2019..thread. Discuss the season here:-3aaad381-883c-4254-80f1-35a8368b1b9e.jpg

And a week later Garoppolo explains himself. Kinda hard to crawl out of that hole. Lol

https://sports.yahoo.com/jimmy-garop...214106268.html

Up In Smoke
    Would have been nice to see some replays of some of the penalties called on the raiders last night. Címon man, they throw the flag for Ďlined up in the neutral zoneí and then joe buck is trying to tell us that a camera angle from the defensive backs was the best angle they had

well mannered lout
    How to kill your own very prosperous career in 1...2...3.

https://sports.yahoo.com/antonio-bro...182421339.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3AAAD381-883C-4254-80F1-35A8368B1B9E.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	221.6 KB 
ID:	1291423
    Antonio Brown could well be suffering from brain injuries at this point. He was never a trouble maker before 2017. Check out the Vontaze Burfict hit.

Not trying to excuse the behavior, just maybe explain it a bit.

be1
    the beat goes on
    And a week later Garoppolo explains himself. Kinda hard to crawl out of that hole. Lol

https://sports.yahoo.com/jimmy-garop...214106268.html
    kinda like the guy who said "just win, baby" (al davis). seems like an archaic usage now, though.

Would have been nice to see some replays of some of the penalties called on the raiders last night. Címon man, they throw the flag for Ďlined up in the neutral zoneí and then joe buck is trying to tell us that a camera angle from the defensive backs was the best angle they had
    I totally forgot that game was on. I might have tuned in just to hate-watch the Chokers, who lost in epic Choker style. Not to take anything away from Josh Jacobs - ROY material?

But this morning I read the announcers were crowing about "good non-calls." What was up with that?
    Go Fact Yourself.

Up In Smoke
    But this morning I read the announcers were crowing about "good non-calls." What was up with that?
    A lot of pushing and shoving down field

kinda like the guy who said "just win, baby" (al davis). seems like an archaic usage now, though.
    It could pass as that if he didnít turn around when he was walking away and give her the look.

be1
    the beat goes on
    It could pass as that if he didnít turn around when he was walking away and give her the look.
    stupid is as stupid does i guess

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Chargers always seem to find new ways of losing every week.

be1
    the beat goes on
    spectacular double fumble last night. think they had a talk with the lineman after that play?

https://sportsnaut.com/2019/11/watch...-fumble-twice/

well mannered lout
    on any given Sunday!

Snow Dog
    Chargers always seem to find new ways of losing every week.
    ...and the Bengals...yikes!!!

LET IT SNOW!

be1
    the beat goes on
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    ...and the Bengals...yikes!!!
    they will have #1 choice of a good qb draft

Snow Dog
    they will have #1 choice of a good qb draft
    yeah, but i don't think Palmer is their main issue...

and being a Steelers fan, it is fine if I don't have to worry about them

LET IT SNOW!

Up In Smoke
    Sounds like the Dolphins are so desperate they're willing to give Kaepernick a look.

be1
    the beat goes on
    miami's qb is an issue for sure. fitzpatrick's problem is he tries to make throws he can't make. gets lots of interceptions that way. takes too many chances. but he's made a helluva career for a sub-par qb.
    i'm sure kap is better but not sure he's the answer.

be1
    the beat goes on
    myles garrett - got some rage issues

Up In Smoke
    Don't ignore the instigator though. Mason Rudolph also has some questions to answer.

mtbr member
    myles garrett - got some rage issues
    The dude HAS to be removed for the duration of this season.

mtbr member
    Don't ignore the instigator though. Mason Rudolph also has some questions to answer.
    Warranting tearing off his helmet and hitting him over the head? I think not.

Up In Smoke
    I didn't say it was warranted, but if you poke a bull dog, don't be so shocked when you get bitten. Shitty end to a shitty game.

I tuned in after the 2-minute warning and got to enjoy that "WTF did I just see?" moment.

NFL 2019..thread. Discuss the season here:-191115102056-myles-garrett-mason-rudolph-helmet-exlarge-169.jpg
    Go Fact Yourself.

be1
    the beat goes on
    The dude HAS to be removed for the duration of this season.
    agreed

be1
    the beat goes on
    it was stoooopid. coulda dropped the helmet and walked away. now he has to be replaced. no way he doesn't get suspended.

having said that - the qb could have walked away also. mg would still have been suspended but maybe just a game or two.

good thing he didn't hit him with the hard part of the helmet. could've killed him.

Assault charges wouldn't be inappropriate (but likely won't happen).
    Go Fact Yourself.

be1
    the beat goes on
    it was a full swing starting from the waist. it would be hard to argue in court that there was no malicious intent.

Up In Smoke
    I didn't realize Kareem Hunt slipped his way onto the Browns. Another extremely talented player who got himself caught up in scandal. Fun to watch on the field though.

be1
    the beat goes on
    they play again dec. 1

be1
    the beat goes on
    seems like the browns coach may have lost control of the team.

Go Fact Yourself.

be1
    the beat goes on
    interesting to note:
    Adam Schefter of ESPN noted it's possible Rudolph and the Steelers could file legal charges against Garrett.

Snow Dog
    they play again dec. 1
    I will be at that game!!! My first live Steelers game since the early 90's...

Revenge....on the scoreboard mostly.

I turned the game off with about 5 minutes left as it was painful to watch. Fell asleep, and woke up to all the alerts on my phone...

honestly, I don't mind heat in a rivalry game..this was definitely overboard, but it is a physical game that is still based on intimidation. Modern PC culture has made it so that intensity is not acceptable anymore in competition, and I honestly think it has made sports less exciting to watch. I definitely don't believe that people should be killing each other, but history was/is made on the situations where people overcome top level adversity and intensity.

I really hope that there is no litigation that comes out of this - but again, i fear that in the is sue happy culture we live in, a ton of people who stand to make money of the process will force it into that arena. Fines and suspensions within the games governance is where this should end at. That and letting the player "figure it out on the field", which is what would have happened in the past, and is probably more effective deterrence in a way...

We were talking in the office to day about the people saying that "on the street, this would have been considered assault". If you think about it, ANYTHING that happens within the 60 minutes of a football game would be considered assault on the street, so by that definition, should we just prosecute for every incident of contact made?

Sorry. Some parts of me are old school, and I think that a game that is rooted in physical intensity should keep some of those aspects, or should become a separate game. Not straight out violence for violences' sake - keep that in boxing/MMA. But sanitizing the game down to a bunch of cordial events on the field because of fear of litigation is going to make the game even more boring than it is...

LET IT SNOW!

Up In Smoke
    What about that replay of Terry Bradshaw getting suplexed back in the day? They must have showed that 10 times, clearly TB was a bit troubled watching it. Times have changed.

be1
    the beat goes on
    removing the helmet and using it as a weapon is a bit more than intensity. it is borderline psychotic behavior. he has been fined twice already this year. it's not only a pattern but it is escalating.

Rabid Lana Fan
    interesting to note:
    Adam Schefter of ESPN noted it's possible Rudolph and the Steelers could file legal charges against Garrett.
    Dam...Garrett better call Saul.

Snow Dog
    What about that replay of Terry Bradshaw getting suplexed back in the day? They must have showed that 10 times, clearly TB was a bit troubled watching it. Times have changed.
    yep.....I think that any of the old school guys are absolutely scoffing inside about the state of players now a days from a toughness stand point. Think of Jack Lambert or Ham...Butkus. Those guys would NEVER think of suing somebody for an in game incident. It would be shameful. You can bet that the next time they played, people would be watching their back though.

I still think there need to be in game honesty happening...I guess it comes from growing playing and following hockey. In a way, that is why fighting evolved in hockey. Granted, it got out of control in the 70's and part of the 80's, but I KNOW that if you got rid of that aspect of the game, more vicious policing would take place in the form of stick work etc.

I think that there has been a certain level of "policing" that happens by the players that has been taken out of football, and is causing more of these incidents.

LET IT SNOW!

be1
    the beat goes on
    Wasn't there a NHL hockey player that was charged for an on-ice incident a few years back? i don't think there was any law suit - but actual criminal charges.

well mannered lout
    After hearing a lot of commentary I think the late hit, trash talk, fighting....all of that is covered in the rule book. What happens on a football field is not like what happens in traditional life, but what happened last night was outside of what happens in football.

The Browns brought in a ton of top talent. There might have been more expected of them than any other team so far as improvement this season. At the organization level they just donít seem like they can make the jump to how modern PROFESSIONAL football teams conduct themselves.

Iíd like to see Garrett suspended for week one next season just so he begins the year knowing that the league has him in their sights. The suspension ends up costing him better than a million dollars in lost wages. Still, Iím glad my life isnít judged by my worst moments of my early 20s and hopefully this kid comes back a better man.

In other news....Iím no fan of Collin Kaepernick, but the screw job by the league is disgraceful. I kind of hope he gets signed just to stick it to the Man.

mtbr member
    In other news....Iím no fan of Collin Kaepernick, but the screw job by the league is disgraceful. I kind of hope he gets signed just to stick it to the Man.
    He should dump Nike if he wants to ďstick it to the ManĒ man.

well mannered lout
    Those Ravens are starting to look like the total package. That pass rush was devastating yesterday.

Those Ravens are starting to look like the total package. That pass rush was devastating yesterday.
    I was watching that game on & off after my ride yesterday. I thought it would be a fun contest with the 2 young QBs but HOU got wrecked. I agree, if BAL stays healthy they're going to be a force.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Snow Dog

Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    He should dump Nike if he wants to ďstick it to the ManĒ man.
    I don't know if he will ever play b/c the league won't let football be about him, and that is all he wants. I would also be hesitant as an owner/coach etc, again, because you will be dealing with someone who wants it to be about him, and not the team...

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    I will be at that game!!! My first live Steelers game since the early 90's...

Revenge....on the scoreboard mostly.

I turned the game off with about 5 minutes left as it was painful to watch. Fell asleep, and woke up to all the alerts on my phone...

honestly, I don't mind heat in a rivalry game..this was definitely overboard, but it is a physical game that is still based on intimidation. Modern PC culture has made it so that intensity is not acceptable anymore in competition, and I honestly think it has made sports less exciting to watch. I definitely don't believe that people should be killing each other, but history was/is made on the situations where people overcome top level adversity and intensity.

I really hope that there is no litigation that comes out of this - but again, i fear that in the is sue happy culture we live in, a ton of people who stand to make money of the process will force it into that arena. Fines and suspensions within the games governance is where this should end at. That and letting the player "figure it out on the field", which is what would have happened in the past, and is probably more effective deterrence in a way...

We were talking in the office to day about the people saying that "on the street, this would have been considered assault". If you think about it, ANYTHING that happens within the 60 minutes of a football game would be considered assault on the street, so by that definition, should we just prosecute for every incident of contact made?

Sorry. Some parts of me are old school, and I think that a game that is rooted in physical intensity should keep some of those aspects, or should become a separate game. Not straight out violence for violences' sake - keep that in boxing/MMA. But sanitizing the game down to a bunch of cordial events on the field because of fear of litigation is going to make the game even more boring than it is...
    Enjoy the game! Great stadium....

Rudolph tried to tear off Garrett's helmet but not much press over it. Garrett retaliated and flipped his shiznit.

mtbr member
    Plenty of young QB's who are just crushing it this season.

Snow Dog
    After hearing a lot of commentary I think the late hit, trash talk, fighting....all of that is covered in the rule book. What happens on a football field is not like what happens in traditional life, but what happened last night was outside of what happens in football.

The Browns brought in a ton of top talent. There might have been more expected of them than any other team so far as improvement this season. At the organization level they just donít seem like they can make the jump to how modern PROFESSIONAL football teams conduct themselves.

Iíd like to see Garrett suspended for week one next season just so he begins the year knowing that the league has him in their sights. The suspension ends up costing him better than a million dollars in lost wages. Still, Iím glad my life isnít judged by my worst moments of my early 20s and hopefully this kid comes back a better man.

Enjoy the game! Great stadium....

Rudolph tried to tear off Garrett's helmet but not much press over it. Garrett retaliated and flipped his shiznit.
    oh yeah...I am sure there was other "pre-roll" to the whole incident that we will never hear about...but that is standard practice. I never played football "for real" - was always playing hockey - but i can imagine it is just like hockey in the chirping, and little mental games that go on. And how the physicality amplifies those elements.

No one is an "angel" in side the confines of the game clock

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    I don't know if he will ever play b/c the league won't let football be about him, and that is all he wants. I would also be hesitant as an owner/coach etc, again, because you will be dealing with someone who wants it to be about him, and not the team...
    Exactly.
    And he just shot himself in both feet, right through those Nikeís.
    Heís done now.
    Way to stick it to da man.....

well mannered lout

Rudolph tried to tear off Garrett's helmet but not much press over it.
    The whole thing was hard to watch. The hit on Diontae Johnson was dirty (carted off the field bleeding from the ears, the Browns player was disqualified from the game). The hit on Smith-Schuster looked ugly too ( hit helmet to helmet by TWO Browns defenders at the same time...is that an accident?). Garret hit Rudolph late on the last play when there was nothing left to prove. The Steelers are no angels, but Cleveland looks like they're loosing control entirely. That 12/1 game at Pittsburgh might be a train wreck. It'll be exciting, but it probably won't be a well played game. I like to see football played well.

the half breed devil
    the niners-seahawks game was the best i've seen in awhile.

i've been waiting for the niners to stumble, but this year it seems like they might be for real. we'll see what happens when the packers come to town.

to my fellow ohioan who claims the intensity in sports today has been watered down by PC culture, i beg to differ and ask HOW "pc culture" has changed the NFL.

i think you're misinterpreting recent changes in rules intended to protect players as lessening the intensity at which some players play.

leading with your helmet is not good.

flagrantly clotheslining a player driving to the basket is not good, nor is kicking at their nuts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

to my fellow ohioan who claims the intensity in sports today has been watered down by PC culture, i beg to differ and ask HOW "pc culture" has changed the NFL.
    I wouldn't call it PC culture but some of the quarterback protection rules have watered the game down a bit.

Now in baseball today's culture has absolutely changed the game.

the half breed devil
    I wouldn't call it PC culture but some of the quarterback protection rules have watered the game down a bit.

Now in baseball today's culture has absolutely changed the game.

exactly this.

also, the rules preventing leading with your head.

the negative results of (repeated) concussions are real.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    How about those Chargers?

How about those Chargers?
    Right? Talk about a tire fire.
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    The whole thing was hard to watch. The hit on Diontae Johnson was dirty (carted off the field bleeding from the ears, the Browns player was disqualified from the game). The hit on Smith-Schuster looked ugly too ( hit helmet to helmet by TWO Browns defenders at the same time...is that an accident?). Garret hit Rudolph late on the last play when there was nothing left to prove. The Steelers are no angels, but Cleveland looks like they're loosing control entirely. That 12/1 game at Pittsburgh might be a train wreck. It'll be exciting, but it probably won't be a well played game. I like to see football played well.
    It will be an interesting re-match for sure.

The Browns are a tire fire, as it were, presumably due to management. They have an all-star roster and weren't able to pull it off.

well mannered lout
    It has nothing to do with political correctness....it's pure business. QBs make lots of money and more and more it's guaranteed money. Add to that how few real franchise QBs there are and owners will do what they can to protect their investments.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    It has nothing to do with political correctness....
    Which is exactly what I said...

well mannered lout
    Which is exactly what I said...
    You're right.

A little perspective...Ben Roethlisberger will get paid over $30 million this season.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    You're right.

A little perspective...Ben Roethlisberger will get paid over $30 million this season.
    What he gets paid has nothing to do with whether or not the rules have watered down the game. Several games have been decided by minor contact being called roughing the passer because of the way the defender landed, no driving, no late contact, just how he landed.

well mannered lout
    Could be a good one tonight!

Up In Smoke
    Could be a good one tonight!
    Sure was, but if you ask me that was a fumble recovered by the Colts and they should have reviewed that more in depth.

mtbr member
    Sure was, but if you ask me that was a fumble recovered by the Colts and they should have reviewed that more in depth.
    In my fantasy league, I grabbed Jonathan Williams just the other day (since Mack is out) and he earned me 24 pts.

be1
    the beat goes on
    oh yeah...I am sure there was other "pre-roll" to the whole incident that we will never hear about...but that is standard practice. I never played football "for real" - was always playing hockey - but i can imagine it is just like hockey in the chirping, and little mental games that go on. And how the physicality amplifies those elements.

No one is an "angel" in side the confines of the game clock
    supposedly rudolph used a racial slur. is that a good reason to bash his exposed skull in with a blunt object? you decide....

https://nypost.com/2019/11/22/mason-...cusation-well/

Up In Smoke
    supposedly rudolph used a racial slur. is that a good reason to bash his exposed skull in with a blunt object? you decide....
    Making up a bogus claim like that was pretty cowardly and bush league. MG put the final nail in his own coffin with a stupid accusation like that.

Snow Dog

https://nypost.com/2019/11/22/mason-...cusation-well/
    Making up a bogus claim like that was pretty cowardly and bush league. MG put the final nail in his own coffin with a stupid accusation like that.
    agreed...when in doubt, play the race card for instant sympathy/"justice" in this day and age...sadly, it works b/c people are triggered, and want sensationalism

like MG, or anybody, has not trash talked using slurs in their career.

I was totally with how bit guys were handling it until I heard this on the news this morning...then I just rolled my eyes.

and, again, it is a high intensity, violent sport. You can't all of the sudden be "sensitive" to what goes on within the confines of the whistle/game field and cry about it.

LET IT SNOW!

well mannered lout
    I like nothing about this.

well mannered lout
    Maurkice Pouncey was mic'd up for the game. I would certainly be interested in hearing that!

I thought tonight's GB-SF game would be a lot more competitive. Packers really don't like the west coast this season.
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Panthers had some good opportunity to win at the end of the game against the Saints but no, couldn't make it happen. And what a bad game for Slye, need Gano back.

Broncos lost again, they super suck this year.

Up In Smoke
    Its time to revise the officiating system.

be1
    the beat goes on
    how did lamar jackson get so good?

Up In Smoke
    He sure has some talent, but lets evaluate things at the end of his career.

well mannered lout
    Word is he worked really hard in the off season on his passing mechanics instead of just shooting a bunch of commercials for Progressive.

How about Josh Allen....how's this for competitive?!

mtbr member

They got a good O-coordinator that can leverage his talents. Greg Roman made Kap into a good QB and actually helped Tyrod Taylor, yes Tyrod Taylor have a solid year.

But no team has been able to challenge Jackson. He runs he ball really well and when he passes, he only has to hit his first read. And under that situation, he has been accurate and effective. Until a team shuts down the run game and forces him to pass the ball in the pocket to his 2nd and 3rd read, he is going to lead the Ravens to wins.

49ers-Ravens was football worth watching.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Broncos / Chargers is ramping up pretty good.

NFL 2019..thread. Discuss the season here:-29a4f870-760e-4af0-9a61-f14ca3f649e6.jpg

well mannered lout
    49ers-Ravens was football worth watching.
    Kind of get the sense that if they do it again tomorrow in San Francisco it would go 3 points the other way... the story continues . Lots of well played football there.

Snow Dog
    was at the Steelers/Browns game today...first NFL game since 87...and first at Hienz Field.

LET IT SNOW!

Up In Smoke
    Its hard watching the Raiders play. Its more like a flag throwing competition between the ref's than a game of football. 12 penalties for 99 yards. Its tough to win games when you're going backwards.

Snow Dog
    Its hard watching the Raiders play. Its more like a flag throwing competition between the ref's than a game of football. 12 penalties for 99 yards. Its tough to win games when you're going backwards.
    isn't that Raider football?

Not making fun b/c I actually have always been a Raider fan behind the Steelers and Green Bay

LET IT SNOW!

Up In Smoke
    isn't that Raider football?

Should be used to it by now, eh?

well mannered lout
    Fast and loose....Vegas should love 'em.

the half breed devil
    the raiders have always been like this. even when they're winning.

Snow Dog
    definitely,,,but that, combined with todays reffing does make for a bad combo

I rally hate that they are going to Vegas..not b/c I hate Vegas, ,but just because of the loss of all that football history...are they changing their name, colors etc?

LET IT SNOW!

Up In Smoke
    What a way for Oakland to go out, very fitting

be1
    the beat goes on
    Fans pelting the team with garbage - classy.

Up In Smoke
    Beastmode!

NFL 2019..thread. Discuss the season here:-marshawnsebike.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ love watching him play. Could almost make a Chiefs fan out of me.

^ love watching him play. Could almost make a Chiefs fan out of me.
    Thatís exactly how I feel about it.