mtbr member
    May 2011

neg reps, signing an other's name

Recently I was frustrated by receiving negative reputation points for a post that was supposed to be humorous, but which offended.

I try to completely ignore rep, but when I notice it, I couldn't help but to feel a tiny bit irked.

Being the bigger and better man, I refrained from immediately giving negative rep right back, as the comments in the rep matched some comments in the thread. it seemed to me that this would likely incite further retaliation.

So it occurred to me that a more efficient solution would be to give negative rep to these folks, but to do it from a post in a different thread, and to sign it with the name of one of the other folks that I think gave me a negative rep.

Aside from whining to an administrator, who maybe can see who actually left rep, there's no way to know if whoever's name is written on negative rep is actually the person who left the rep.

In fact there's a strong incentive to never sign rep accurately, as you just give the person a target for their frustration.

I know there have been threads on rep before, but I haven't heard of this possibility mentioned. Seems like its a problem for the system; I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice, and I think pointing it out to everyone is important, as folks might be doing this on a regular basis without anyone catching on.

A more subtle approach, which could have been used on me, is to find two members who are bashing each other. find some ad-hominem argument and use it when you negatively rep the other guy, get 'em both and you've created a battle that neither member may ever understand.

edit: I don't do this, I'm just pointing out that the design of the system allows it to be done. Once in the open, the issue can be addressed if people care or dropped if people don't. Me acknowledging and trying to discuss the problem isn't what created it.
    Last edited by PretendGentleman; 05-07-2012 at 01:58 PM.

AZ
    banned
    Banhammer in 5, 4, 3,

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Banhammer in 5, 4, 3,
    does this mean that someone who gets caught doing this will be banned?

or does this mean you think I'll be banned for pointing out this incentive compatibility problem with the reputation system?

or do you just like to post randomly made up words so you can be the first to reply to new posts?

or something else?

mtbr member
    neg rep is like herpes. we all have to learn to deal with it...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    does this mean that someone who gets caught doing this will be banned?

or does this mean you think I'll be banned for pointing out this incentive compatibility problem with the reputation system?

or do you just like to post randomly made up words so you can be the first to reply to new posts?

or something else?

You will be banned if caught doing what you suggest. And I didn't make up any of those words, nor was it a random post.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have been on many forums where people receive the BANNING for what you suggest. I think its maliciously brilliant but that doesnt change the outcome of implementing it should you be exposed.
    Soil Taste Tester

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    It seems you've failed in your efforts to "completely ignore rep."

banned
    Gie it a shot, it won't take long to out you with your rep power of 1.

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    I know that is this has been beat upon many, many times but why keep it anonymous to the viewer? It appears, based on Chums comments, that the admins can see who posted what. Why not just open that up to everyone and make it a transparent form? At least you will have honest communication. If you can't say it to somebodies face, you can't say it hiding behind anonymity. At least you still have you make up name.....
    The world does not revolve around you but your actions impact us all!

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    does this mean that someone who gets caught doing this will be banned?...
    yup.

i've banned others for doing exactly what you suggest.
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    I got a neg rep that was signed by me. Ha! I'm pretty sure I know who did it, since I neg repped him and signed my name exactly as it was relayed back to me. It's annoying, but whatever. I'm not going to say who it was. No need to ban him.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie scum View Post
    Gie it a shot, it won't take long to out you with your rep power of 1.
    I don't get it, what does low rep power have to do with this?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    It seems you've failed in your efforts to "completely ignore rep."
    that's blatantly obvious!

I don't put much stock in positive rep, but it does provide a bit of information. I think a big part of positive rep is the reciprocity of giving out lots of rep to others, so lots of positive rep tells me that you give out lots of positive rep, not necessarily that you give out lots of valuable insights. Truly, rep is a mixture of the two effects, but knowing (actually, just strongly suspecting) that reciprocity contributes mightily to rep I don't think much about it when evaluating a post. A good post represents itself more accurately than the reputation of the poster, in my experience.

I hope this doesn't offend folks here, as I see many with lots of positive rep, which I suspect you consider to be valuable and that you don't like others denigrating.

If I could flip a switch and hide all aspects of the reputation system from myself, I would do so. I find that its distracting. I haven't been here for long, so maybe its useful for keeping out spam or something like that, but there are other rules to address this issue, such as minimum posts before PMin, etc. On the other hand, maybe I would act like more of a jerk if I didn't have negative reps remind me that not all of my jokes translate well to the internet (from my brain, can't say all my jokes translate well to the real world either )

meow meow
    just play nice and stop worrying

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    yup.

i've banned others for doing exactly what you suggest.
    well, you can look to my profile if you would like an opportunity to ban someone doing just this. just got a negatively signed rep, signed with my name.

AZ
    banned
    well, you can look to my profile if you would like an opportunity to ban someone doing just this. just got a negatively signed rep, signed with my name.

Did it fool you into neg repping yourself?

mtbr member
    Didn't even know there was a rep system. Wondered what the green/red squares were under people's names.

Turns out I've got a few negative comments. No biggie. People are entitled to their opinion and a couple of them had valid points. Why sabotage the system and get yourself banned over a few comments you didn't like?

Now that I know the rep system exists I can send a few positive reps out there.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    Didn't even know there was a rep system. Wondered what the green/red squares were under people's names.

Turns out I've got a few negative comments. No biggie. People are entitled to their opinion and a couple of them had valid points. Why sabotage the system and get yourself banned over a few comments you didn't like?

Now that I know the rep system exists I can send a few positive reps out there.
    I didn't make this thread because I was planning on doing this. I made this thread because I realized how ridiculous it is that one could get away with doing this many times and nobody would likely know.

Apparently the ridiculosity will continue unabated. One cannot be too surprised, as any change in the rep system might diminish the rep of the folks who would have to make the changes. schemes that have the wrong incentives and promote the wrong type of behavior relative to the intent of the designers are only too common, so I'm not surprised.

banned
    I didn't make this thread because I was planning on doing this. I made this thread because I realized how ridiculous it is that one could get away with doing this many times and nobody would likely know.

Apparently the ridiculosity will continue unabated. One cannot be too surprised, as any change in the rep system might diminish the rep of the folks who would have to make the changes. schemes that have the wrong incentives and promote the wrong type of behavior relative to the intent of the designers are only too common, so I'm not surprised.

Yeah thats it, its a conspiracy, that way the mods can continue with the juggenaught towards world domination using all their rep points. Keep posting nonsense please.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Edit
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 05-07-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Novice Rider
    May 2012
    we got rid of the rep point system on a forum I moderate because there were too many issues like this with it. And it didn't always accurately portay the users.

1. your neg signature has been corrected.

2. it is clear you do not know how the rep system works. A member can only leave you 1 rep (+ or -) for every 100 reps given. All members (including Mods) can only leave 10 reps per day.

sooooo - a user will have a very hard time consistently dinging you....and if they are the type (and this is not happening to you BTW) their rep 'power' is pretty insignificant.

PS - starting/participating in rep threads is a pretty sure fire way to get neg rep'd into oblivion....nature of the beast so to speak.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Recently I was frustrated by receiving negative reputation points for a post that was supposed to be humorous, but which offended.
    Keep the jokes to short, one-liner quips. We here have neither the attention span nor the mental capacity to read through a longass post to decide whether it's a joke, when it usually isn't.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Keep pedaling
    I tried to give myself some positive rep. The system just showed me a box that says "This post has not received any reputation. ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Furball the Mystery Cat View Post
    I tried to give myself some positive rep. The system just showed me a box that says "This post has not received any reputation. ..."
    self-love is not allowed on mtbr....

we are a conservative site

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball the Mystery Cat View Post

You'll go blind!

~Disc~Golf~

I try to completely ignore rep, but when I notice it, I couldn't help but to feel a tiny bit irked.

Being the bigger and better man, I refrained from immediately giving negative rep right back, as the comments in the rep matched some comments in the thread. it seemed to me that this would likely incite further retaliation.

So it occurred to me that a more efficient solution would be to give negative rep to these folks, but to do it from a post in a different thread, and to sign it with the name of one of the other folks that I think gave me a negative rep.

Aside from whining to an administrator, who maybe can see who actually left rep, there's no way to know if whoever's name is written on negative rep is actually the person who left the rep.

In fact there's a strong incentive to never sign rep accurately, as you just give the person a target for their frustration.

I know there have been threads on rep before, but I haven't heard of this possibility mentioned. Seems like its a problem for the system; I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice, and I think pointing it out to everyone is important, as folks might be doing this on a regular basis without anyone catching on.

A more subtle approach, which could have been used on me, is to find two members who are bashing each other. find some ad-hominem argument and use it when you negatively rep the other guy, get 'em both and you've created a battle that neither member may ever understand.
    I just negged you for being a deceitful SOB - enjoy

to say "... there's a strong incentive to never sign rep accurately"
    where do you get that? anybody I know on here with any scruples at all signs their name.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    I got neg repped in this thread.
    fixed

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    You are a jerk for suggesting this.

Signed,
    Highdelll
    ^^^ heh - but that's not 'exactly' how I sign my name

mtbr member
    give negative rep to these folks, but to do it from a post in a different thread, and to sign it with the name of one of the other folks that I think gave me a negative rep.
    You are a jerk for suggesting this.

Signed,
    Highdelll

mtbr member
    Listen here, PretendSpellingandGrammar...
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post

to say "... there's a strong incentive to never sign rep accurately"
    where do you get that? anybody I know on here with any scruples at all signs their name.
    how is bringing something like this out into the open deceitful?

just because you didn't think of it, doesn't mean nobody else has. I presume I am not the first.

I say this is a strong incentive, because by not signing your own name, you prevent retaliation. Based on the quantity of posts i've seen in various threads, people rarely sign negative reps; this supports my contention that you have an incentive to not sign your name, and it doesn't take a huge leap to see that there could be advantages to signing another's name.

The negative rep you gave me was the first one I've ever received that was signed, except ones that seemed suspicious (like when it was signed with my name [now removed, thanks chum]).

I'll repeat, because perhaps you did not read my later posts, but I made this thread not because I intend to false_sign, but because I realized that nothing prevents anybody from false_signing reps.

and to juan, what are you referring to? or should I say, to what are you referring?

Edit
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 05-07-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Pretty strange sh*t dude, notice I don't neg rep back.

wasn't from jeffscott - signature now fixed.

this thread has high potential for getting ugly if I have to start looking around...which is not fun..and takes time....and generally ends badly for some people...

did i mention not fun?

yah...not fun....fookers.

PS - signing a wrong name for the sole purpose of baiting is really not a good idea....

Edit
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 05-07-2012 at 03:51 PM.

mtbr member
    I only neg rep woman, children, and those physically weaker than myself. Feels good man.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Possum Jones View Post
    Feels good man.
    Sounds about right.

It was a nice day when that rep bug worked. I gave piplz huge green schlongs, and then neg repped some dude into several red chicklets in one go.

But then mods and admins peed on our parade.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    self-love is not allowed on mtbr....

we are a conservative site
    Self-loathing isn't either. Maybe it's not a conservative site after all.

mtbr member
    Anon neggers with tiny pee-pee syndrom abound lol
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Wow! The negative rep thing has now come to this?! What's next???
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Wow! The negative rep thing has now come to this?! What's next???

Huckin' trails
    Imagine how it would be if only the pos rep where displayed in your CP. No more worry about butt hurt over a neg rep !
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I assume that you are simply answering my question as opposed to directing this at me???
    I am fulfilling the Godwin's law.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I assume that you are simply answering my question as opposed to directing this at me???

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Imagine how it would be if only the pos rep where displayed in your CP. No more worry about butt hurt over a neg rep !
    I'd be perfectly happy with that and even happier if the rep thing would go away all together. I still say the rep thing only turned out to be a who's-who club head game.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I saw a groundhog while I was riding today.

And then I bashed my chainring on a big rock and broke it. The chainring, I mean. The "ride out" -- the most I was able to do was a 1/4 pedal revolution, from roughly two o'clock to five o'clock -- really sucked.

My Canadian friend didn't know that groundhogs are real. Silly Canadians.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Sorry to hear that. But picturing you doing 1/4 turn revolutions to get out is kinda funny, you gotta admit.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Sorry to hear that. But picturing you doing 1/4 turn revolutions to get out is kinda funny, you gotta admit.
    I felt ridiculous. Push down, ratchet back up, even doing that up some hills on the way back. The good thing is, the trail spits me out at the top of campus, so I don't need to pedal at all to get back to my room from the trail head.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    I felt ridiculous. Push down, ratchet back up, even doing that up some hills on the way back. The good thing is, the trail spits me out at the top of campus, so I don't need to pedal at all to get back to my room from the trail head.
    I'd be like LMFAO if your were riding your fixie that day
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    even doing that up some hills on the way back
    studly!!!

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    I'd be like LMFAO if your were riding your fixie that day
    I was thinking the same thing. Luckily, I got all my fixie riding in this morning, when I was running errands around campus. I beat a longboarder down the hill on my 36/16 gearing too, that was fun.

studly!!!
    I know.

Huckin' trails
    I was thinking the same thing. Luckily, I got all my fixie riding in this morning, when I was running errands around campus. I beat a longboarder down the hill on my 36/16 gearing too, that was fun.
    Where I go ride, I first have to climb up to the top going through a ~3km long gravel path. That's where I like to out climb the roadies who are going slow coz they are "training" and I pass them on a big squish bike like a boss

meow meow
    zing! someone gotz my repps.

~Disc~Golf~

hahaha tho I appreciate you signing it, your neg rep (I'm sincere) - to counter my neg I gave you for a valid reason, you failed at a couple things - see above bolded from your OP

So you couldn't be a better man and accept that what you are suggesting is, in fact deceitful, and take it for what it is and learn.
    You instead 'retaliate' on my neg to you?

Kudos BRO - you are the 1st that I'm aware of to retaliate to a neg rep that I gave.

Trust me - I'm not angry in the slightest in negs, but man is it funny (dare I say ironic?)

Have fun - ride on!

poser Administrator
    rep is like an appendix. It is here. Most of the time you couldn't give a crap about it, occasionally it can irritate you, sometimes it can take you out, but most of the time if you don't focus on it it will just be there doing nothing.

If you worry about it, you might as well be worrying about the sky falling too. If you ignore it it will more than likely never bother. If it does you just have to wait until the doctor decides it needs to come out.

In others "who cares".
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    rep is like an appendix.
    What about those of us who no longer have an appendix?

AZ
    banned
    Substitute brain and that makes a lot of sense.

mtbr member
    So highdell says this to the OP:

And after my smart a$$ comment I get this neg rep:

fresh rep ho meat, enjoy!

So, is that "enjoy" an effort to falsely implicate highdelll as the spewer of negative rep to me?

OP?

Some ugly sh*t going on around here. I demand an investigation!!!!

Titanium junkie
    I would say if Highdell neged you, he would have signed it.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Did it fool you into neg repping yourself?
    I'll bet it did.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Hang the Neggers! (that doesn't sound right )
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    HOLY **IT!
    4chan is that way ---------------->

Suckin wind like a boss

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    And after my smart a$$ comment I get this neg rep:

fresh rep ho meat, enjoy!
    I've had that one before. I think the person just goes around neg repping people.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I only negged highdell. nobody else.

highdell, I still disagree that the word deceitful applies to me when I point something out. To me, deceitful would only be an appropriate label in this context if I had ever falsely signed a rep, which I haven't.

I think the neg rep I gave you is only the second or third I've ever given out.

But, I do appreciate your civil response, so best wishes and have a good ride!

and true, I didn't take the "bigger and better man" path in this case....you got me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Yeah and a known liar now as well...

He negg repped me as well...you can tell by his rep power...
    How can you tell???

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I only negged highdell. nobody else.

highdell, I still disagree that the word deceitful applies to me when I point something out. To me, deceitful would only be an appropriate label in this context if I had ever falsely signed a rep, which I haven't.

I think the neg rep I gave you is only the second or third I've ever given out.

But, I do appreciate your civil response, so best wishes and have a good ride!

and true, I didn't take the "bigger and better man" path in this case....you got me
    Yeah and a known liar now as well...

He negg repped me as well...you can tell by his rep power...

Members who have read this thread: 0