mtbr member

Need a Book Sugggestion

I like fiction mostly. Just finished the whole "Girl with a Dragon Tattoo" Millenium series. I usually read mystery or real life stuff situational stuff. I need some good suggestions.

thanks,

mtbr member
    George R. R. Martin stuff is awesome but it's not mystery or real life.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Go here. I tried to get a thread going, but didn't have much luck. Still, there are some good suggestions. http://forums.mtbr.com/off-camber-of...ns-776405.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Unbroken - Laura Hillenbrand

On a May afternoon in 1943, an Army Air Forces bomber crashed into the Pacific Ocean and disappeared, leaving only a spray of debris and a slick of oil, gasoline, and blood. Then, on the ocean surface, a face appeared. It was that of a young lieutenant, the planeís bombardier, who was struggling to a life raft and pulling himself aboard. So began one of the most extraordinary odysseys of the Second World War.

The lieutenantís name was Louis Zamperini. In boyhood, heíd been a cunning and incorrigible delinquent, breaking into houses, brawling, and fleeing his home to ride the rails. As a teenager, he had channeled his defiance into running, discovering a prodigious talent that had carried him to the Berlin Olympics and within sight of the four-minute mile. But when war had come, the athlete had become an airman, embarking on a journey that led to his doomed flight, a tiny raft, and a drift into the unknown.

Ahead of Zamperini lay thousands of miles of open ocean, leaping sharks, a foundering raft, thirst and starvation, enemy aircraft, and, beyond, a trial even greater. Driven to the limits of endurance, Zamperini would answer desperation with ingenuity; suffering with hope, resolve, and humor; brutality with rebellion. His fate, whether triumph or tragedy, would be suspended on the fraying wire of his will.

In her long-awaited new book, seven years in the making, Laura Hillenbrand writes with the same rich and vivid narrative voice she displayed in her blockbuster bestseller, Seabiscuit. Telling an unforgettable story of a manís journey into extremity, Unbroken is a testament to the resilience of the human mind, body, and spirit.
    It's a great book!
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

Afric Pepperbird
    For mystery, you really cannot go wrong with the stories of Sherlock Holmes. Great stuff.

For non-mystery, try "The Road", By Cormac McCarthy. Or anything by Cormac McCarthy!

mtbr member
    The Secret Knowledge: On the Dismantling of American Culture
    david mamet

My suggestions are in the linked thread. I am suggesting them again. Check them out. I would recommend most the Irvine Welsh stuff. Anything by him is gold...no platinum...no iridium.

Suckin wind like a boss
    Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

Who is John Galt?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    He's right. The song of ice and fire series - the game of thrones.

Henning Mankell's detective Wallander series.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I enjoyed the first 3 books haven't read the others yet. Series is called A Song of Ice and Fire as mentioned.

I don't have any good suggestions besides fantasy. I really like dragons so always try and read books involving them if the look good.

Eragon (Inheritance Cycle is name of series) One of my all time favorites.
    Sword of Truth (particularly the first three it fell off after that for me)
    Temeraire series is a really cool spin on dragons as aviation.
    Drizzt Do'Urden by R.A Salvator (incredible fight sequences )

I can come up with more if needed.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    River of Doubt and Destiny of the Republic by Candide Millard were both good.

Good, green, Oregon.
    I highly suggest "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer. Amazing story. Sure, some will come away from the book and say he was just a stupid kid, but others, including myself, see him as someone who truly lived life to the fullest. If you have seen the movie, but haven't read the book, give it a shot. The movie is great, again in my opinion, but the book is much different. Not better or worse, just the story is told in a different manner.

Christopher McCandless will always be a hero of mine. In fact, a bucket list goal of mine is to find a way to ride my bike to Magic Bus 142 on the Stampede Trail. I have heard it has been done before. Talk about an epic ride.
    *2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (aka: Sweet Pea)

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Wiedzmin novels by Andrzei Sapkowski. Gritty, tough and touching at times!

Beer Me!
    "Sea Wolf" still has my favorite character of all time in the hundreds of books i have read. One of the few times i have been conflicted with my feelings about the villain. To keep with the classics theme "Lord of the fly's" "1984" and "The Fountainhead" were all quite stirring, and I like to think made me a better person as a result.

Fantasy is a hard genre. It is my favorite, but can get very frustrating with its "formulaic" plots. George RR Martin is great, but i didn't like the "nerd P@rn" segments, and the most recent book was a disappointment after the 10 year wait. Tolken's LOTR is still the best for its epicness and groundbreaking style. I also enjoyed "The Black Company" by Glen Cook.
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Horror/fantasy contemporary author Brian Keene has a whole bunch of really awesome books. I would suggest The Conqueror Worms; it's my favorite of his novels. There's a dude Named Carlton Mellick III. If your into really weird fantasy read his books. Some are awesome some are just plain waaaaay too out there to make much sense. But it's to be expected with titles like Baby Jesus Butt-Plug and The Haunted Vagina.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Second the song of Ice and fire series, can't get enough and the books are quite long but chapters are fairly short. I also recommend anything by clive cussler, good adventure fiction

mtbr member
    If you haven't read it I would recommend to everyone. "The Book Thief"

mtbr member
    I'm a mystery reader myself, here are some series that I like. Though a couple are historical mysteries, they are still more mystery than history:

The Dave Robicheaux series by James Lee Burke ("The Neon Rain" is the 1st) -- A recovering alcoholic Louisiana detective fights his own demons and solves mysteries that often tie in the New Orleans mob and other, very colorful characters.

The Marcus Didius Falco series by Lindsey Davis ("The Silver Pigs" is the 1st) -- Starting around 65 A.D., a Roman informer solves mysteries in Rome and its colonies. I'm a bit into Roman history too, so I'm really liking this series.

The Erast Fandorin series by Boris Akunin ("The Winter Queen" is the 1st) -- Kind of a pre-Soviet (1890s) Russian Sherlock Holmes, but doesn't feel like (and isn't) just a copy.

The John Corey series by Nelson DeMille ("Plum Island" is the 1st) -- enjoyable smart@$$ NYC homicide detective (later joins an anti-terrorist taskforce for some international intrigue).

Hope you find one you like!

Members who have read this thread: 0