poser Administrator

MUSIC: Albums that were fantastic but got lost to the bands commercial appeal

Beastie Boys: Paul's Boutique - their white album and sadly their sophomore album so it got lost to the more mainstream hip hop rap albums that were to come, but come on Dust Brother produced, amazing.

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Uplift Mofo Party Plan - the pinnacle of the funktastic style of the early non-mainstream RHCP but seriously overblown by mother's milk (also a great album). Each successive album got less funky but not worse, just different.

Nirvana: Bleach - so much more raw than Teenage Spirit and so much less of a mainstream grunge sound.

Miles Davis: Doo-Bop a fantastic mashup of hip hop and jazz predating almost anything like that, just got lost as too far forward too early. Seriously awesome.

Pixies: Bossanova - lost in the insane wall of sound from trompe le monde just a year later.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    couldn't agree more with your BBoys pick. there's so much cool stuff happening creatively on all those tracks.

"backwoods" & "walkin on down the road" on Uplift got alot of play on my cassette player!

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Primal Scream: Riot City Blues. Panned as a generic Stones/Faces rip off I think it's just a great album in its own right. Sure it's not groundbreaking like Screamadelica or XTRMNTR but when taken at face value it's just a good listen.

Rancid: Life Won't Wait. I think this is their best album but straight after "and out come the wolves" it wasn't what "the masses" wanted to hear.

Lemonheads: Lick. Quite frankly I despise that cover of "Mrs Robinson" that propelled them to teenybopper stardom. The earlier punker stuff and the much later, almost alt-country albums play much better. Lick was the first album I bought by them and I still love it.

There are more but I have a 5 year old who needs a bedtime story.....
    Last edited by driver bob; 05-30-2012 at 06:00 PM.

meow meow
    i think neon bible by arcade fire gets a tough rap falling between funeral and the crazy success of the suburbs. neon bible is probably my favorite arcade fire album though. in a twist i think the critcal acclaim room on fire got overshadowed first impressions with was actually a pretty solid strokes album.

see me rollin, they hatin
    i hate to bring this obvious one up, but Master of Puppets. Actually, the following album wasnt bad either, i know people give them a hard time.

it wasnt just fame though, it was a massive shift in sound!
    fap

AZ
    banned
    Mettalic stuff since the black album has been sub par imo.

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Mettalic stuff since the black album has been sub par imo.
    anything after the black album was all motivated by money, and its totally lars ulrichs fault for that. even the black album was questionable based on what they had produced to that point. ride the lightning was a watershed album for metallica that really defined who they were and what they were about.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

Suckin wind like a boss
    and as far as metal goes, im gona throw out The Great Southern Trendkill from Pantera...they really hit a nerve with that one, got the peak of their polish and shine with their sound...but I think the kids werent ready for the sound to be as refined as it was, and preferred to have another Vulgar Display of Power- a definite favorite, but very raw.

Some of my most favorite "angry" music
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

Suburban Redneck
    Trendkill was just insane. Shred. Doom. Nazi Gangster Jews. Suicide. Apocolypse. That was just a blistering, bombastic, kick your face in album. I agree, however, that Vulgar Display is the easy, "popular" choice. I saw them live in support of both albums. The Vulgar show was a party, Trendkill was a massacre.

And to contribute something to the thread, I'm gonna say Helmet's "Strap it On" was overshadowed by "Meantime". Also, ANY Faith No More that came after "The Real Thing". Shame, really. I don't think they wanted to live up to it as much as distance themselves from "Epic".
    I'm not big-boned, I'm a Clyde.

mtbr member
    African Herdsman by Bob Marley. Before he signed with Island Records

Chronic Town by REM - Their EP. Everything after that got worse

I'll think of a few others. Good thread.

mtbr member
    Cracker's self titled debut album which was eclipsed by Kerosene Hat and the single "Low".

Pink Floyd's Obscured By Clouds was their last album to only reach gold status. Everything after that went multi-platinum. But it is one of my favorites..

The self titled debut album from Journey is pretty incredible too, a bit more jazzy than the later stuff with Steve Perry (Infinity, etc.) which blew the early albums out of the water as far as sales and chart position.
    Last edited by cackalacky; 06-05-2012 at 05:55 AM.

Titanium junkie
    Anything by the Scorpions before Blackout,
    Fly to the Rainbow, In Trance, the list is long.

And anyone heard from Concrete Blond?
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I really liked U2 War, Boy and October. Then they got all sell-out.
    Guns and Roses - Appetite - then it all sort-of fell apart for the band that could have been one of the best rock and roll bands every.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Staind - Dysfunction. Very heavy, relative to anything else they've put out, except of course Tormented, which apparently only sold 4,000 copies.
    -Scott

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Peter Gabriel IMO doesn't do anything bad, but his Passion album, soundtrack from The Last Temptation of Christ, (around 1990) is one of the most incredible recorded pieces I've ever heard. Almost completely instrumental, including voices used musically.

driver bob, you must be from Boston ; ) Punk Lemonheads, who knew?...Evan's solo Baby I'm Bored is pretty good IMO, but of course the Lick days are long gone. Covers are almost always a downer. Mrs. Robinson gets the forward skip.

loudv, The Sails of Charon 4ever...Roth yes, Jabs, um...no M. Schenker proxy.

We gotta pick up on bands while they're firing on all cylinders (read: early). I cringe at some of the drivel produced in the later stages of some of my favorite bands. And these reunion tours?...not exclusively, but largely depressing. When rock becomes pop...adios!

Members who have read this thread: 0