Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011

MTB's are unsafe for road use..

..at least accordingly to openrouteservice.org

I was just playing around with openroutesource and entered my home address and the address of my fathers place and asked it to calculate a route. I know the area pretty well and don't really need a map, but I was bored and goofed around a bit.

Popped in the addresses, clicked the bike icon and hit calculate while having selected "shortest track". The result was this: OpenRouteService.org:Home, a 15 km trip to be completed in 55 minutes, which is roughly about 10 mph.

As said, I know this area pretty well and the above route is tarmac back roads without much in the way of dedicated bike lanes. Still traffic is light, so it's no biggie riding it on a bike.

I then tried the "safest track" mode and was offered a 18 km route with a big detour. That route has dedicated bike lanes almost all the way, so it's definitely safer. 18 km in 1 hour 15 minutes, which is 9 mph.

Picking "Mountainbike" mode essentially gave me the safest route too, but figured I would be doing the 18 km in 54 minutes = 12.5 mph, so it seems mtb's are faster than regular bikes.

Then I picked "Racer" and got essentially the shortest route again, those 15 km to be done in 37 minutes = 15 mph.

So apparently the shortest route is safe enough to be recommended for a 15 mph racer, but not safe enough to be recommended for a 12.5 mph mtb. On the mtb you're better off going the long way around and sticking to the dedicated bike lanes..

Make sense of it if you can, I'm sticking with the shortest route which I've been using for years despite my mtb being unsafe for road use..

Bro Mountainbiker
    The wide handlebars must take up too much of the road
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Keep pedaling
    I live in a crowded city and it almost makes sense to me. I feel safer off-road than on the streets. When I'm not riding off-road, I try to stick to bike lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrenseren View Post
    Make sense of it if you can, I'm sticking with the shortest route which I've been using for years despite my mtb being unsafe for road use..

mtbr member
    Well it certainly depends on the typical type drivers in that town, city whatever, and the width and speed limit of the road. How wooded, twisty, and also the grade but I must say, I always feel safer on my mtbs because I am more upright and better able to see down the road. It's more maneuverable over and around stuff, and the brakes work much better too.
    As fast as a road bike? Umm no, safer?, I think so.
    Last edited by theMeat; 06-10-2012 at 07:22 PM.
    Round and round we go

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Well it certainly depends on the typical type drivers in that town, city whatever, and the width and speed limit of the road. How wooded, twisty, and also the grade but I must say, I always feel safer on my mtbs because I am more upright and better able to see down the road. It's more maneuverable over and around stuff, and the brakes work much better too.
    As fast as a road bike? Umm no, safer?, I think so.
    Yes +1
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    The wide handlebars must take up too much of the road
    Yeah, that's probably it, hehe.. The short route do go through a tiny, old town, maybe the bars are simply too wide to be practical in there..

Members who have read this thread: 0