Most disappointing live concert you’ve been to- Mtbr.com
    M8 M12 M15 deez nuts

Most disappointing live concert you’ve been to

1997 or 1998, George Thorogood and The Destroyers. How bad was it? It was buh-buh-buh-buh-buh-buh-bad, no bones about it. My then-girlfriend and I walked out of the show only seven songs into it. They only played their earworm-popular tunes. Venue itself was really nice (Mountain Winery in Cupertino/Los Gatos hills) – she and I had seen ten or so other shows there before (that were stay-til-encore good).
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    1972, San Diego Sports Arena, Neil Young.
    Just call me Ray

Dark Meat
    Billy Idol, 1987 at the Cow Palace. I went to see the opener, the cult...then left after three Billy boy songs. The crowd was booing him, throwing shit at him...until he left the stage...that’s when griz hit the road.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    1998 - Jesus and Mary Chain at the Ventura Theater. Should have been a great show, small venue, good seats, but the sound was TERRIBLE. It didn't help that the band was in the process of disintegrating and would break up a few months later.

This show was particularly disappointing to me since their show at the Hollywood Palladium in '94 (Stoned and Dethroned tour) was one of the best shows I'd ever seen.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hey Radium, the sports arena has the worst sound I've even heard. The best band could never sound good there.

mtbr member
    Beastie Boys. 93-94 somewhere in Newark, terrible. Saw them much earlier, early to mid 80's, some podunk NYC tiny club venue, had no idea who they were. Entertaining but certainly not "good".

Also saw Limp Biscuit (remember that idiot?) at an Ozzfest in Camden NJ which is an awesome venue. Anyway they sucked but Tool was great.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Counting Crows. Actually left 1/2 way through. Maroon5 opened and was awesome.

mtbr member
    Stevie Ray Vaughn. It was at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor, MI. An acoustically perfect venue and he played WAY too loud...even for a 20 something at the time. Musicianship was excellent, just not enjoyable due to volume.

Cycologist
    The Firm, sound was horrible. I never got the chance to see Led Zeppelin so I was excited about seeing Page. Then we saw Clapton a few days later in the same facility and the sound was great.

Also saw Molly Hatchet at a small theater and the it was so f'ing loud that even one of the guitarist was angrily complaining through the sound system. It wasn't a show I was all that excited about, though.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Cobra Starship is the only one that really disappointed me.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (single speed "gravel" bike), Nashbar CXSS (on trainer)

be1
    the beat goes on
    most disappointing - johnny winter at house of blues myrtle beach. looked like the walking dead. took him several minutes to cross the stage taking baby steps. the bass player was doing some finger exercises to kill time while he retrieved his guitar. must have not kicked his habits at the time.

only concert i ever walked out of - dave matthews. i know - supposed to be the best live band ever. sounded so much like the cd. completely soul-less. jmho
    You just can't beat the person who never gives up. - B.Ruth

mtbr member
    ^A good friend of mine decked Dave Mathews at some bar in Chapel Hill. He was working as a bar back at the time cleaning up and getting ready to close. In walks Dave demanding a drink playing the "do you know who I am card". My buddy explained they're closed etc. and it escalated to Dave throwing chairs around. One punch, lights out.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

High Desert MTBer
    Rolling Stones 1976 Knebworth Park. Everyone else on the bill was great: the mostly unknown Skynyrd's first UK adventure, playing Freebird at length, amazing, and cementing their legendary status in the UK; Todd Rundgren was great, with stunt planes wheeling overhead; 10CC were fantastic, right before the Stones, but after a long wait, the Stones were very underwhelming. We got out before the end, just before the rest of the 200,000 jammed everything for hours.
    It's all Here. Now.

be1
    the beat goes on
    i have seen the stones twice and both times were good. i saw them when they were less dependent on drugs though. sometime around 1999-2000 ( can't remember exactly) and once 2 or 3 years ago. drugs do make a difference.

edit: also, curfew was in effect both times so no long wait for the band to come out.

mtbr member
    The Buzzcocks at the Zodiac in Oxford - somewhere in the mid 90's. The were old and pathetic. Orgasm addict is amusing when you are 18-20. Sad when you are close to 50.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Stevie Ray Vaughn. It was at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor, MI. An acoustically perfect venue and he played WAY too loud...even for a 20 something at the time. Musicianship was excellent, just not enjoyable due to volume.
    Sorry, but this is impossible. No way could SRV any shape or form play too loud.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    Hey Radium, the sports arena has the worst sound I've even heard. The best band could never sound good there.
    No doubt, I remember many concerts in that arena, and sound pretty much blew for all of em'.

Thankfully, one of the few times I remember decent sound was when Rush played there in June 1981 (shortly after they released Moving Pictures).

Hmm, most disappointing live gig would probably be VH in Greensboro, NC some years back. Sound was crap. Dave mumbled his way through and Eddie and Alex seemed uninspired. Good thing I had doobage!
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS

beater
    Smashing Pumpkins, 1993 or 1994. Shitty sound with way too much high-frequency noise, and constant Billy Corgan being Billy Corgan. I had seen Anthrax kill a tiny club tve night before, so the comparison was fresh. But I wasn’t a huge fan, so the disappointment was manageable.

Seeing Sugar in the club I mention above (Boathouse, Norfolk VA) was a real disappointment, though. I was looking forward to that one and it was just 90 minutes of feedback. And I was stuck in front of one of the stacks.

I saw Metallica’s 1994 summer tour. AIC was on the bill, but they imploded and were replaced by Candlebox. That didn’t go over well.

I’ve seen Modest Mouse twice. They’re very inconsistent. One sucked, one was great.

I saw Snoop play a small venue that was clearly unprepared for it. The power kept going out, and he was a total pro. Just rolled with it and kept the crowd engaged and entertained.

psycho cyclo addict
    I always bring ear plugs anymore.

In my early not so swift days I sat in floor sears at a Who concert.

All I could hear was muffled garble (as if cotton were stuffed into both ear canals) and massive ear ringing for 3-4 days.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er

psycho cyclo addict
    John Prine concert a number of years ago in the Washington, DC area. He came out on stage completely plowed.

Played zero songs and walked off after a very awkward and embarrassing ~20 or so minutes.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Chazpat:

"Yeah, I hear ya. I had that fork on my 2011 stumpy. RS Pike with Charger 2 damper would be a major upgrade. It’s a great fork. A lot of good Fox 34 forks as well."

Wha???
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Sorry, but this is impossible. No way could SRV any shape or form play too loud.
    No One "plays loud" altho if on 11 it could be getting there... It is the front of house engineer who doesn't understand how to get the best out of a room and mixes too loud without knowing how to compensate for those nasty acoustic quirks in the room.
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by tubbnation View Post
    No doubt, I remember many concerts in that arena, and sound pretty much blew for all of em'.

Thankfully, one of the few times I remember decent sound was when Rush played there in June 1981 (shortly after they released Moving Pictures).

Hmm, most disappointing live gig would probably be VH in Greensboro, NC some years back. Sound was crap. Dave mumbled his way through and Eddie and Alex seemed uninspired. Good thing I had doobage!
    I mixed on a Who show in there in 1980. It was a tough one for sure, but there's always a way to compensate if yer ears work and you know how to twiddle a knob...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Smashing Pumpkins, 1993 or 1994. Shitty sound with way too much high-frequency noise, and constant Billy Corgan being Billy Corgan.
    That was on my list too. From what I hear the whole Siamese Dream tour was underwhelming (the show I saw in Hollywood certainly was). Billy was whiny and bratty and I gather was having a nervous breakdown during the tour.

be1
    the beat goes on
    Quote Originally Posted by wayold View Post
    That was on my list too. From what I hear the whole Siamese Dream tour was underwhelming (the show I saw in Hollywood certainly was). Billy was whiny and bratty and I gather was having a nervous breakdown during the tour.
    that dam apple commercial with corgan's whiny ass voice drives me nuts...

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    A Place To Bury Strangers, last year at El Club in Detroit, though I blame the sound engineer for it being way too loud for a small venue (even with ear plugs). We left after 1.5 songs.

I saw them again, later in the year as a support act in the same venue and that time they were brilliant because the volume wasn't painful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I mixed on a Who show in there in 1980. It was a tough one for sure, but there's always a way to compensate if yer ears work and you know how to twiddle a knob...
    Damn...not long after the stampede in '79.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Late '80s I went to see SRV and Double Trouble opening for Robert Plant in Hartford, CT. I was there to see SRV and he put on a great show, but most were there for Plant. I was always a Led Zep fan so figured it would be awesome.

Ugh...it was so lame and total opposite of what I expected. Plant was clearly in love with himself and every song was all about him...totally oblivious to band playing behind him. After watching 6-8 songs of him prancing around I couldn't take it anymore and walked out.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

be1
    the beat goes on
    in his later years i think he has developed a self-awareness. i saw him at an outdoor festival a couple of years ago and he only played a little over an hour due to scheduling, but he could have gone for 3 hours. the arrangements of the old zep songs are a bit different, and the musicians are top-notch. no jimmy page but add some middle eastern instrumentation and its pretty good. jmo

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Chazpat:

"Yeah, I hear ya. I had that fork on my 2011 stumpy. RS Pike with Charger 2 damper would be a major upgrade. It’s a great fork. A lot of good Fox 34 forks as well."

Wha???
    I'm completely lost on what you're referring to.

Unless it's a lack of hearing after Molly Hatchet in a small theater?
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Ha. I thought that about cars too, until I went to a NASCAR race at Bristol Motor Speedway.

Funny too that "disappointing" is a function of how high one's expectations were going in. I had higher expectations of really enjoying SRV's riffs. It was by no means the worst show I have seen, just disappointing.

I had no problem with The Who being loud at the Silverdome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I saw them around '80-'81 in the LA Coliseum (wearing my "I'd walk over you to see the Who" T-shirt - sure wish I still had that one). That was a good show, but a gnarly crowd. Festival seating down near the stage was a violent crush fest. I watched while crowd currents moved in opposite direction and broke a girl's arm maybe 20 feet away from me. Couldn't hear her screaming over the music. Scary memory partially redeemed by what followed a minute or so later - the crowd passing her hand to hand overhead to the stage to escape.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    That was in Cincinnati...
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    Ha. I thought that about cars too, until I went to a NASCAR race at Bristol Motor Speedway.

Funny too that "disappointing" is a function of how high one's expectations were going in. I had higher expectations of really enjoying SRV's riffs. It was by no means the worst show I have seen, just disappointing.

I had no problem with The Who being loud at the Silverdome.
    Silverdome had that inflatable roof which was not great acoustically either, but if the place was pretty full, it helped to soak up the 'spurience' as I call it...
    It's all Here. Now.

CEO Product Failure
    Guns N Roses. July 1991. Riverport Amphitheatre. The entire debacle got GNR banned from St. Louis until 2017.

Plenty of details on the show if you google it.

Duck Fonald
    XTC in SF. Drove 2 hours to get there and a sign on the door said the gig was cancelled. D'oh. Doesn't really fit the thread, tho.

Saw a band who had a guitar player from one of my favorite bands, Bluchunks (not Rash, DJ). Medium sized club but it was so fricking loud I got nauseous. Had to leave. Stupid loud. Sound chick, you didn't impress anyone that night.
    "It is what it is."

DJT on US Covid-19 deaths.

Evolutionsverlierer
    Why would you expect not to be disappointed if you go to a non SLAYER!!! concert is beyond me and the voices in my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Avid is spelled wrong, there should be an 'O' in there.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post
    Guns N Roses. July 1991. Riverport Amphitheatre. The entire debacle got GNR banned from St. Louis until 2017.

Plenty of details on the show if you google it.
    Axl threatened “another St. Louis” when I saw them with Metallica the following summer.
    The intermission between them was 2.5 hours.

Evolutionsverlierer
    I got thinking and the worst I can remember was Boo-Yaa-Tribe sometime in the 90’s.
    We drove like 3 hours each way and unannounced to us they entered their rap metal phase and that is what they played.
    On a funny side note close to us was a guy standing, not sure what he was on, but the whole concert he was standing still and staring in what we deemed as disbelieve at the stage and boy oh boy did they suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Avid is spelled wrong, there should be an 'O' in there.

High Desert MTBer
    Axl threatened “another St. Louis” when I saw them with Metallica the following summer.
    Axl was often a total dick like that. I was doing a big festival with I think Slipknot in the UK in around 2001, and GnR were playing after us. When I was taking the band back to the dressing room, we got stopped by GnR security on the way, because Axl was 'about to come down to the stage' and he needed a clear path. OK, we got it, but after standing there for several minutes, I told the security to fuk off and took the band thru anyway. They got all flustered and didn't know what to do. What they did do anyway was hold everyone else from free movement for the next 45 mins while Axl made up his mind which scarf to tie around his head or something. Pillock. I was once offered a job as their Production Manager after a long hiatus, and Axl asked to meet me at his house. I told his manager I was in LA for a short while, and to let me know when. Each time we had a time, Axl called it off last minute, so after 2 or 3 times, I told them I wasn't interested. Apparently he was somewhat perplexed anyone would not want to have the dubious privilege of working with him. All the shows I saw were patchy at best.
    Duff's a good guy tho... see him still now and then...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wayold View Post
    I saw them around '80-'81 in the LA Coliseum (wearing my "I'd walk over you to see the Who" T-shirt - sure wish I still had that one). That was a good show, but a gnarly crowd. Festival seating down near the stage was a violent crush fest. I watched while crowd currents moved in opposite direction and broke a girl's arm maybe 20 feet away from me. Couldn't hear her screaming over the music. Scary memory partially redeemed by what followed a minute or so later - the crowd passing her hand to hand overhead to the stage to escape.
    Yup; I remember being up front in huge shows in my young years and it was like being stuck in a rip current sometimes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Axl was often a total dick like that. I was doing a big festival with I think Slipknot in the UK in around 2001, and GnR were playing after us. When I was taking the band back to the dressing room, we got stopped by GnR security on the way, because Axl was 'about to come down to the stage' and he needed a clear path. OK, we got it, but after standing there for several minutes, I told the security to fuk off and took the band thru anyway. They got all flustered and didn't know what to do. What they did do anyway was hold everyone else from free movement for the next 45 mins while Axl made up his mind which scarf to tie around his head or something. Pillock. I was once offered a job as their Production Manager after a long hiatus, and Axl asked to meet me at his house. I told his manager I was in LA for a short while, and to let me know when. Each time we had a time, Axl called it off last minute, so after 2 or 3 times, I told them I wasn't interested. Apparently he was somewhat perplexed anyone would not want to have the dubious privilege of working with him. All the shows I saw were patchy at best.
    Duff's a good guy tho... see him still now and then...
    He was known for being a pompous prick back then from everything I've read. I don't blame you for not playing into it.

Wasn't it drugs that eventually did them in when it came to performing? I remember when Izzy dropped off.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I saw the Cult there around 1987-88 and they were rockin way hard then. The crowd was so pumped that they ripped out bolted down chairs and threw them downhill. The Sports Arena supposedly had to cancel the next night's events.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    That was the lamest intermission ever. I had seen both of those bands a couple of times before the Rose Bowl, and I would have left if I was closer to home. They were both average that night, but Metallica was much better. That's one show that I wish I would have saved my money on.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    John Prine concert a number of years ago in the Washington, DC area. He came out on stage completely plowed.

Played zero songs and walked off after a very awkward and embarrassing ~20 or so minutes.
    Same experience at a Ron White show. He was so drunk he could not even finish his most popular jokes.... We left and demanded a refund and it was granted.

EMBA Member
    Early Van Halen.

They came out with DLR holding what looked like a fifth of Beam that was 1/3 gone. He and EVH were obviously wasted. They continued to take big pulls off that bottle until it was gone.

DLR was stumbling around sort of singing and sort of acting like a drunk idiot. EVH was playing some very sloppy guitar when he was even playing at all.

Most disappointing because of what those guys were capable of delivering versus what they delivered.

Second place goes to BB King.

Band came out, sans BB, and played several songs. Like what the heck where is he?

Then he came out, but mostly just sat in a chair while the band played. He would occasionally play a few bars, and/or sing a little, but mostly he just joined us in listening to his backup band.

Now, fact is, his backup band was really good, but that's not what I was there for.

BB may well be the greatest, but you would never know it from the show I attended.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    1972, San Diego Sports Arena, Neil Young.
    was this one of the times he read a play instead of played music?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    in his later years i think he has developed a self-awareness. i saw him at an outdoor festival a couple of years ago and he only played a little over an hour due to scheduling, but he could have gone for 3 hours. the arrangements of the old zep songs are a bit different, and the musicians are top-notch. no jimmy page but add some middle eastern instrumentation and its pretty good. jmo
    Yeah, long after that concert in late 80's I have seen some live performances of Plant on TV. His focus was less on himself...the band and song selection was great. I wish he had that focus when I saw him live.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by TTTURNER View Post
    That was the lamest intermission ever. I had seen both of those bands a couple of times before the Rose Bowl, and I would have left if I was closer to home. They were both average that night, but Metallica was much better. That's one show that I wish I would have saved my money on.
    I saw them at RFK on the first night of that tour. Same show featured in A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica, and they were solid. We arrived early and made it into the front section of the floor. We were on the rail for the entire Metallica set. I high-fived James when he walked through the security trench.

Yeah, the intermission was lame, but there were so many tops coming off that we weren’t watching the clock. Fortunately DC Metro stayed open late that night because we’d have been stuck (with thousands of others).

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I saw them at RFK on the first night of that tour. Same show featured in A Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica, and they were solid. We arrived early and made it into the front section of the floor. We were on the rail for the entire Metallica set. I high-fived James when he walked through the security trench.

Yeah, the intermission was lame, but there were so many tops coming off that we weren’t watching the clock. Fortunately DC Metro stayed open late that night because we’d have been stuck (with thousands of others).
    Yes, I would have been happy like you if I had better seats. Our seats were on the middle of the Rose Bowl floor from what I remember. I had recently seen those bands in smaller venues (almost everything is smaller the 100,000 seat Rose Bowl) with better seats. We also refueled as much as we could during that intermission, but it didn't make up for the disappointment of waiting. I still remember that frustration like it was yesterday. I'm much more into smaller venues as I have gotten older.

EMBA Member
    I saw Pink Floyd there after DSOTM came out. They have speakers in all 4 corners of the floor and additional speaker stands at the top of the Sports Arena in the 4 corners.

I'm here to tell you it is possible to sound good there.

Saw Jethro Tull there a couple times in the early to mid 70's. Also remember those as sounding good.