mtbr member

Military: do you think your command would approve of..

Heavy all mountain, and DH/FR? I was Army 11B, and nobody in my unit did much cycling, Even tho I stationed was at Ft. Carson. Colorado. on the other hand everybody likes high PT scores.
    Hey Ma! Look at this laceration.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    They are not going to punish you for it. However it's your career and if you get badly damaged you may have to face a medical review board who will dtermine your suitability to keep serving or not.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    I'm not sure about AM/freeride or DH in particular but I've suggested taking my soldiers to a local trail maintained by mwr that provides loaner bikes and was shot down. It required so much BS paperwork and approval for "safety" reasons that it never even had a chance to happen.

On the other hand they don't have a problem with riding on your own time as long as you don't get hurt. I sprained my knee last summer and that was the only time my riding was ever scrutinized.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I was a 68W attached to an infantry unit and trust me, your command would rather you not but if you get hurt there is nothing they can do as long as you are following the rules.

We had guys that broke bones trying dumb, and I mean dumb, **** on the weekends. Had one guy get an article 15 for sunburn right before a road march but that guy was a complete moron.

mtbr member
    I'm almost done with my IRR commitment. less than 1 month. I was just wondering. When I was an FTL I would have been p1ssed if one of my joes showed for work to go to sick call, because of this. AM, DH helps me with the adrenaline cravings now tho lol

mtbr member
    I was in the military many years ago and had a bicycle at one point. It was in the late 80's before the boom hit so having a bicycle was a bit unusual to start. It was not strictly forbidden since it was so unexpected.

The first hurdle was where to keep it since in barracks life there is a place for everything inside and outside. It wound up living outside and then would disappear for Friday morning parade so we wouldn't look different.

Then the very idea that you could just get on it and ride away caused concern. They could lock the base down and have no motor vehicles leaving but they didn't have the technology to stop someone on a bicycle.

They did live with it though and I'd let the other guys I knew also take it for a spin to take a break but it always had that subversive edge.

mtbr member
    I had a pretty luxurious barracks life, granted i joined in 2004. One where i had my own room and a place to lock a bike inside. toobad i only got to sepnd about a year total in those barracks, i wouldnt have had time for biking with deployments and training.

mtbr member
    You don't have to be in the military to have these concerns. When my boss injured himself, one of our company VPs made the comment "Maybe we don't need our Branch Managers out mtn biking".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    You don't have to be in the military to have these concerns. When my boss injured himself, one of our company VPs made the comment "Maybe we don't need our Branch Managers out mtn biking".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That type talk scares me.

As far as I am concerned, what I do in my own time is my own business.

I wonder how many branch managers smoke or do other things that endanger their health?

mtbr member
    My command hated people having bikes, and let you know about it. You had to give a really good spiel to the Command to justify getting a car if you lived in the barracks.

We had someone who was a skateboarder break his wrist in a fall. He got a counseling that if he was injured skating again they were going for all the UCMJ would allow.

Not sure about an MRB being a good experience if they look to separate a soldier for an off-duty injury like ArmySlowRdr spoke about. It sounds like you have to do one just to get a profile now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    There isn't much the UMCJ can do if you are doing it legally. A lot of it is just talk to scare guys from doing crap on their own. They would much rather them get injuries during training than not which doesn't matter at all because you still around injured.

High Desert MTBer
    Just seems ironic to me that the military, whose prime function is to project death and disaster when necessary, frowns on bicycling.

Screw the wellness of your mind, as long as we possess your body!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    That type talk scares me.

As far as I am concerned, what I do in my own time is my own business.

I wonder how many branch managers smoke or do other things that endanger their health?
    Quoted for truth.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    When I was stationed at Ft Drum ('07-'12) my command never had any issues with me mountain biking, I also used the bike to get to and from the barracks to work. The only concerns they had were if I was obeying traffic laws where applicable, and if I was wearing safety glasses.

Meatbomb
    Keep riding and go Airborne

mtbr member
    I'm in the Air Force, but I'm in an AFSC that usually deploys for 6 months, once a year. I broke my collarbone and hand real badly on my dirtbike. I was never reprimanded, even after 3 surgeries and 2 months of convalescent leave. It was "suggested" to me that the bike go, because I needed to be ready to deploy. I heeded the advice and just ride mtb's now.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Bicycle Addict
    So glad I'm out.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I just retired after 38 years in the Canadian Army and RCAF. I transferred to the Air Force years ago but had several army postings afterward. Started in the infantry and while posted in Winnipeg, Manitoba I started commuting by bike after the city began road construction. I saved time on my commute and had no problems with my COC. They only care that you show up on time. A friend of mine cross country skied to work in the winter. A few others roller skied. Back in 99 I was posted to the artillery and while on Xmas leave bruised my ass so bad in Moab that I had difficulty walking. I went on sick parade and only got as far as the medic, no doctor. He took one look at the 14x5" black bruise, said "oh my god", and gave me a sick chit excusing my from PT for a week. Everyone thought it was pretty funny. While at an Air Force base I got poison ivy so bad from mtb one time that I finally had to go on sick parade. This time the Dr was a mtber as well. He loaded my up with a good supply of steroid cream and we chatted about riding. My last posting was back in the Army and a couple of years ago 6 of us planned to go DH at Panorama, BC. Two guys broke their army on the same weekend and had to back out. One fell asleep while driving and the other snagged a shoelace while running. The rest of us went and were un-injured. In all the 38 years I don't remember anyone being hassled by the COC because the got hurt doing something stupid. Your peers on the other hand are merciless!
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

EMBA Member
    Maybe off topic a little, but I read somewhere recently that avid mountain bikers are among the groups that tend to have a higher likelihood of completing Navy SEAL training. Us along with water polo players, swimmers, and tri-athletes.

Members who have read this thread: 0