Ride More, Work Less

Life slowed down to a gentle rock

This week I am at boy scout summer camp with our troop. Since I had two boys in the troop, I felt I needed to attend. This appears to be what I will be doing much of the week...poor me

Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    beautiful, man. pity the poor schlubs sleeping in the cabins.

barely a mtbr
    This is the first year I'm not attending for at least a few days.

Cabins? Are your boys still Cubs or are the cabins for the adults?

Our Boy Scouts get no cabins, just a flat-ish piece of ground to tent on. My son doesn't know it yet, but he will be tapped for OA this Wed. and will spend the next 24 hours in silence, eating only bread, apples, and water, working on a hard labor project for the campground, and sleeping outside with no tent until the sash ceremony on Thursday night. I'm sure he'll love every minute of it. It should cool off to about 85 by then, it's 96 here today.

Wish I were there with them..

Ride More, Work Less
    My oldest did OA this year. He sang the beetles in his head to get through it.

As for this camp, yes, I am surprised with the cabins. I have my own tent just cause that seems like the right thing to do. We are at Camp Phillips and it is beautiful and well run. The food is sad, though.

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Got bike?

Ride More, Work Less
    I wish I had my bike. There is a mountain bike outpost I could have volunteered to help out on. In any case, some rest and out of office work is just what I need.

mtbr member
    Looks all right. Our troop is doing their "own" camp this year (read: not a council camp), so I'll be doing a lot less kicking back, as we'll have to keep them entertained all day long. Fewer merit badge classes, but more stuff we/they want to do (hikes, fishing, swimming, service projects for the Forest Service), and not as much council camp BS to deal with every day.

I keep trying to get them to incorporate some mtb into the mix, but the other leaders don't ride, and the last short ride I took them on went pretty poorly. So sadly, we are mtb-free this year.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    You shoulda been wearing your cycling shoes for the pic. That woulda really grabbed some attention.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Ride More, Work Less
    The fun continued into the evening. The adults had their own turn at the climbing wall. Tomorrow is adult shotgun!

Here is a shot from last night's opening ceremony.

barely a mtbr
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    The fun continued into the evening. The adults had their own turn at the climbing wall. Tomorrow is adult shotgun!
    That's one of the things I miss most about going to Camp Tesomas. On Thursday they have an adult "Mountain Man" competition where you shoot rifles, bow and arrows, and shotguns. That, and the miles of MTB trails around the lake. Even thought the most technical ones are restricted to walking only during camp.

Members who have read this thread: 0