Lake Erie Homes Look Surreal After Being Encased With Thick Ice From Storm- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Lake Erie Homes Look Surreal After Being Encased With Thick Ice From Storm

mtbr member
    Man, that is really going to suck when it thaws...
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

One ring to mash them all
    It looks like that slushy shit from the highway after the sand trucks have been over it a few times.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I made this and posted it in the funny picture thread yesterday.

Lake Erie Homes Look Surreal After Being Encased With Thick Ice From Storm-f6eab3be-d4a1-4196-ac11-89d637b77094.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

9 lives
    Housecicle
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    This falls into my "why would anyone want to live there" bucket. Even if it happens infrequently. But then, others would say the same for where I like to live when summers are 100+ with 80% humidity. But then, I like wearing shorts and t-shirts all but maybe 30 days a year...
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    This falls into my "why would anyone want to live there" bucket. Even if it happens infrequently. But then, others would say the same for where I like to live when summers are 100+ with 80% humidity. But then, I like wearing shorts and t-shirts all but maybe 30 days a year...
    Ill take 100+ over that any day
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member
    That's not too far from here. Can you imagine the potential damage from the weight alone?? And just how nasty that brown water will be as it melts...
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    Ill take 100+ over that any day
    I second that!

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Man, that is really going to suck when it thaws...
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    That's not too far from here. Can you imagine the potential damage from the weight alone?? And just how nasty that brown water will be as it melts...
    For the uninitiated please, why is it going to be worse when it melts than it was when it was in the lake?

Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    For the uninitiated please, why is it going to be worse when it melts than it was when it was in the lake?
    It wonít be and thanks, I held back.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

The people are still trapped inside with only sea rations to sustain them.

A waste of time it is is
    They're living their very own "Frozen", every 6 yr old girls dream.....and fathers nightmare

since 4/10/2009
    for one, that nasty brown water is going to wind up in all sorts of places you don't usually find it.

Also...have you ever seen what happens when you've got ice and meltwater on top of it? That water has nowhere to go. it can't soak into the ground until all 3 feet of ice melts. I'd bet lots of storm drains are plugged, too.

as it breaks up on people's roofs, it's going to be tearing gutters off. I won't doubt it tears some siding off of houses, too, considering it's on vertical surfaces. ice dams will create flooding in places that don't usually have it. the earlier point about the weight on roofs of houses might be a concern, but in that area, I suspect the average roof is a little stronger than it is in my area because of regular snow loading. I anticipate PLENTY of roof leaks, too, because this is going to melt differently than a big snow.

Ahh.. there wonít be any big issues once it melts. Maybe some standing water in places longer than normal but nothing major. I lived on the shore of Lake Ontario for a couple of years in my younger days. Itís just ice then water, theyíll deal with it just fine.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Ahh.. there wonít be any big issues once it melts. Maybe some standing water in places longer than normal but nothing major. I lived on the shore of Lake Ontario for a couple of years in my younger days. Itís just ice then water, theyíll deal with it just fine.
    The amount of it will create its own issues. Depending on how widespread it is, it'll affect the albedo (how sunlight reflects or is absorbed by the surface of the earth and therefore the degree to which the surface is warmed...the more warmth gets reflected by bright and light-colored surfaces, the less warming occurs) and might create its own colder microclimate which will slow its melting.

Quite a lot of it will have to melt before the ground is exposed. Therefore, there will be lots of surface flow and pooling in low spots, resulting in urban flooding type issues. But since the ice is so thick and probably clogging lots of storm drains, there's even fewer places for it to go. It will break up before it melts fully through on roofs, exterior walls, and trees. This is where damage will occur to homes. Ice will dam up in gutters causing water to seep underneath shingles and cause roof leaks. Trees will break and damage stuff. Aboveground power lines will be taken down.

It's like any ice storm, except moreso because of the quantity/thickness of ice.

LOL
    Harold, drama much?

No disrespect, I agree with most that you ever say. Iím just saying it looks way worse than it is in the long run.

Have you ever lived in the north east near a Great Lake? Itís dealt with, the usual stuff. Ice is a common thing to deal with there. This more than other storms but trust me, itís no big deal there.

I am Walt
    Have you ever lived in the north east near a Great Lake? Itís dealt with, the usual stuff. Ice is a common thing to deal with there. This more than other storms but trust me, itís no big deal there.
    ^^This. I grew up in Orchard Park, south of Buffalo, in the snow belt. This is...winter in Western NY...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

A waste of time it is is
    Ok, thanks for the insights.

mtbr member
    Reasonable question. It'll be a sh*t show. When it storms off the lakes like this, the issue lasts one day at the most. Property can withstand it.

With the melting, it's a slow gradual process which I would presume to be more problematic.

Usually the lakeshores are frozen by now, minimizing the damage from nor'easters. They are not frozen over this year, and makes for less protection for the properties.

mtbr member
    You may want to update your post.

I still live here.

mtbr member
    I'll bet it's nice up there during the summer and you get to see intense lightning and T-storms over the lakes.

EAT MORE GRIME
    why is this ice a big deal ?

big chunks will melt unevenly, and can fall off while one part is still fused to roof or siding, ripping the roof or siding off...and smashing windows on the way down. if it melts and refreezes repeatedly, it can creep under siding and roof and cause more damage

so, what really needs to be done is ice hatchet work on ladders... babysitting as it begins to melt away, and chop off as much as possible when possible to reduce chance of damage

or just let it all melt anyway, might be fine.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Reasonable question. It'll be a sh*t show. When it storms off the lakes like this, the issue lasts one day at the most. Property can withstand it.

With the melting, it's a slow gradual process which I would presume to be more problematic.

Usually the lakeshores are frozen by now, minimizing the damage from nor'easters. They are not frozen over this year, and makes for less protection for the properties.
    Yes, the slow melt is what makes the difference. If that were to happen here in Northern Colorado where itís freezing one day and 70į the next there would be major issues like what Harold said.

mtbr member
    Holy ice damming Batman!! You guys use edge heating cables or such up there? Looks awesome imo, I love extreme weather.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Holy ice damming Batman!! You guys use edge heating cables or such up there? Looks awesome imo, I love extreme weather.

As do I. Bucket list item is some time on the storm coast of Vancouver Island.

mtbr member
    As do I. Bucket list item is some time on the storm coast of Vancouver Island.
    Olympic National Park is a GREAT spot for that. Image the carnage of 40 foot tall stacks of huge old growth drift wood getting slammed up against the old growth forest edge with high winds and huge waves. It's intense!

Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Olympic National Park is a GREAT spot for that. Image the carnage of 40 foot tall stacks of huge old growth drift wood getting slammed up against the old growth forest edge with high winds and huge waves. It's intense!

Sweet!
    I donít have a bucket list but Iíll start one with that.

mtbr member
    I donít have a bucket list but Iíll start one with that.
    Don't forget, full moon slick rock night ride is on there too.