Bikesexual
    Wtf!!!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    WOW. That's a shame!
    I NEVER liked riding in helos, and I won't go NEAR an Osprey!

mtbr member
    Wow, this is big news. Sad day, what an athlete he was.
    DAAAANG...that was janky

Bikesexual
    I'm usually not a star struck person, but I'm a die-hard Laker fan, and he is a legend.

RIP Kobe, the world is gutted.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Watch this clip on him talking about his daughter Gianna who also perished in this crash

https://www.12up.com/posts/kobe-brya...o-01dzhxa6s7md
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

the half breed devil
    stunning news.

especially since he was just eclipsed by LBJ as #3 on the all time scoring list; his name was in the spotlight last night.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I recognise his name Ė was he that tall black dude who was famous for basketball?
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    R.I.P Kobe and his daughter and the others that died in the crash... terrible

the crash happened about 15~ miles from my house ... my wife and I rode our MTBs over in that area yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by atarione View Post
    R.I.P Kobe and his daughter and the others that died in the crash... terrible

the crash happened about 15~ miles from my house ... my wife and I rode our MTBs over in that area yesterday.
    I used to have a work route weekly that took me up the 101 and across Newport Coast Dr. There was a Mobil gas station Iíd stop at for business. This one day I stopped the guy told me I had just missed Kobe Bryant a few minutes ago. Apparently he lived on the hill behind the station with all the other mansions and was a frequent customer there.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I used to have a work route weekly that took me up the 101 and across Newport Coast Dr. There was a Mobil gas station Iíd stop at for business. This one day I stopped the guy told me I had just missed Kobe Bryant a few minutes ago. Apparently he lived on the hill behind the station with all the other mansions and was a frequent customer there.
    You meant hwy 1 or the 73, me thinks?
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

chasing simplicity
    He crashed right on a frequent mtb loop called the Millenium Trail trail off Las Virgenes road (Malibu Canyon). Iím ten minutes from there.
    Never underestimate an old man with a mountain bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    You meant hwy 1 or the 73, me thinks?
    Yeah, it was way back in 2011íish.

Tiger Woods was told of Kobeís death on the 18th hole of Torrey Pines this morning. Kobe was a close friend and Tiger is interviewed 5 minutes later.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tiger-woods...233736915.html

Stepping away from Kobe for a minute and remembering another just as important being who perished on that flight.

https://sports.yahoo.com/christina-m...174153225.html

Obviously wayyyyy early but this sure sounds like it could be the cause. The pilot was flying low and below the fog and below radar. Using sight rather than radio instructions via radar control tower. Flowing visually and tracing the freeway below.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kobe-bryant...185103911.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Obviously wayyyyy early but this sure sounds like it could be the cause. The pilot was flying low and below the fog and below radar. Using sight rather than radio instructions via radar control tower. Flowing visually and tracing the freeway below.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kobe-bryant...185103911.html
    It could also be that the pilot could not fly higher because of engine or hydraulic problems with the helo. I don't think any experienced pilot would want to fly within the fog, particularly for commercial/chartered flights.

Sent using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    It could also be that the pilot could not fly higher because of engine or hydraulic problems with the helo. I don't think any experienced pilot would want to fly within the fog, particularly for commercial/chartered flights.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Time will tell, apparently he was a very experienced pilot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Everything that happened with the helicopter prior to the crash seemed routine~

the pilot had requested and was granted SVFR clearance.. and nothing unusual is in the radio communication.. until the helicopter is told to switch to Socal Approach.. at which point there is lack of communication from the helicopter.

Socal Approach tells them they are too low for flight following not necessarily telling they are too low for safety reasons... near as I can see.

so what went wrong ???

chasing simplicity
    Saw the crash site today. Almost looks/feels like if the fog was so dense coming through the canyon that he just didnít realize how close he was to the steep wall and plowed right into it. I couldnít even see the end of my street yesterday morning (couple hundred feet). I know both LA County Sheriff and LA County FireOps grounded their choppers (they fly Firehawks...fire equipped Blackhawks) due to the heavy fog. I know this because I have two friends in LA County FireOps. Itís not that they canít fly in those conditions, itís that they choose not to for safety reasons.

But maybe something malfunctioned. I know the FireOps guys tear down their choppers to the ground and build them up again every few months. Doubt anything but routine maintenance (if it ainít broke donít fix it) happens.

No black box so we may never know the real cause.
    Never underestimate an old man with a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    This morning on the local radio station I heard that a high school coach passed away.
    Without coaches, many stars may not be stars.

So lets remember high school teachers and coaches just the same as somebody we've seen on TV before.

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    RIP Kobe, the world is gutted.
    I think the world is far from gutted, a sportsman died, thats it
    always mad and usually drunk......

Kobe Bryant Died Today!-5e7b7dbf-cd50-4f77-9437-12c9526e0ef1.jpg

https://news.yahoo.com/kobe-bryant-s...130937987.html

ďBryant ó among nine people, including his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, who died Sunday in a helicopter crash outside Los Angeles ó was charged with sexually assaulting a 19-year-old woman in 2003. But as in the vast majority of cases involving accusations of sexual violence, there was no clear resolution. There was no verdict.

Prosecutors dropped the case just before it was scheduled to go to trial, citing the accuserís unwillingness to testify. A lawsuit the woman filed against Bryant ended in a settlement, the details of which have never been made public.Ē

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg View Post
    I think the world is far from gutted, a sportsman died, thats it
    Ok, sure.

https://www.cnet.com/news/kobe-bryan...und-the-world/

One of many articles, but we all have our own opinions.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5E7B7DBF-CD50-4F77-9437-12C9526E0EF1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	1308203

https://news.yahoo.com/kobe-bryant-s...130937987.html

ďBryant ó among nine people, including his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, who died Sunday in a helicopter crash outside Los Angeles ó was charged with sexually assaulting a 19-year-old woman in 2003. But as in the vast majority of cases involving accusations of sexual violence, there was no clear resolution. There was no verdict.

Prosecutors dropped the case just before it was scheduled to go to trial, citing the accuserís unwillingness to testify. A lawsuit the woman filed against Bryant ended in a settlement, the details of which have never been made public.Ē
    A reporter for the NY Times (I believe) was fired for bringing this up in a Tweet; was told that it was in poor taste and looks bad for the company.

Hmmm....I certainly understand the 'poor taste' commentary, but she is a reporter and it is a global news publication.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    A reporter for the NY Times (I believe) was fired for bringing this up in a Tweet; was told that it was in poor taste and looks bad for the company.

Hmmm....I certainly understand the 'poor taste' commentary, but she is a reporter and it is a global news publication.
    Itís news and itís certainly current given the tragic event that took place this week.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Didn't we already stray down this path in this thread? I swear I commented on what will be his complicated legacy, a couple of days ago. My post, along with several others, is gone.
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

mtbr member
    Itís news and itís certainly current given the tragic event that took place this week.
    I couldn't reckon back to those allegations as a journalist and feel good about myself on such short notice....just for the record!
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Didn't we already stray down this path in this thread? I swear I commented on what will be his complicated legacy, a couple of days ago. My post, along with several others, is gone.
    Seriously, clean up in aisle 3 bullshit again?

Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I couldn't reckon back to those allegations as a journalist and feel good about myself on such short notice....just for the record!
    I suppose you are correct. It is his past even though it wasnít proven one way or another. As a journalist with their high moral standards [I laugh] It doesnít make it right to bring it up seeing how it was only allegations. So yes, I agree itís in bad taste.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I suppose you are correct. It is his past even though it wasnít proven one way or another. As a journalist with their high moral standards [I laugh] It doesnít make it right to bring it up seeing how it was only allegations. So yes, I agree itís in bad taste.
    Yeeahhh, I'm not sure I feel the same. It was hard to bring up when he was alive without being criticized. So, apparently there is never a time to talk about it, and it wass always in bad taste.

mtbr member

I am in the same boat. I guess we should let die men lie.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    It IS a complicated legacy, considering the efforts that he put towards women's sports later on in his life (having 4 daughters does help).

Bare in mind, the sexual assault charges were in 2003, when he was in his 20s. What is barely mentioned as well was that he issued a public apology, with the verbiage being vetted by the aggrieved party.

Sent using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    It IS a complicated legacy, considering the efforts that he put towards women's sports later on in his life (having 4 daughters does help).

Bare in mind, the sexual assault charges were in 2003, when he was in his 20s. What is barely mentioned as well was that he issued a public apology, with the verbiage being vetted by the aggrieved party.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Sorry, age has no discrimination on assault, especially sexual on a skightly older than minor. But, once again it wasnít proven. Most cases like this are the real deal. The evidence was overwhelming yet the victim backed out. Pretty common thing in her position. This one just happens to be high profile. Now we are dealing with his passing. Iíd bet more comes out on this. I get he did an amazing job in many aspects of his life but if this is true, it erases all that.

the half breed devil
    Sorry, age has no discrimination on assault, especially sexual on a skightly older than minor. But, once again it wasnít proven. Most cases like this are the real deal. The evidence was overwhelming yet the victim backed out. Pretty common thing in her position. This one just happens to be high profile. Now we are dealing with his passing. Iíd bet more comes out on this. I get he did an amazing job in many aspects of his life but if this is true, it erases all that.
    i have forgiven but never forgotten.

that said, kobe's passing is one of the greatest tragedies in the sporting world i've lived to see in my fifty eight years.

Still very early but: itís looking more and more like pilot error in bad decision making in bad weather. Time will tell, but this seems to me the consensus right now.

https://news.yahoo.com/kobe-bryants-...215610208.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Jerry West On Kobe Always Having the Mamba Mentality | NBA on TNT - YouTube

You can feel the pain in Jerry West.

Shaq Remembers His Former Teammate and Friend Kobe Bryant | NBA on TNT - YouTube

Shaq, too. You feel like this actually changes him as a person. I hope he gets to recover.

Bikesexual
    Still very early but: itís looking more and more like pilot error in bad decision making in bad weather. Time will tell, but this seems to me the consensus right now.

https://news.yahoo.com/kobe-bryants-...215610208.html
    SoCal looked like this on Sunday.

I'm certainly no expert but I'm thinking it was a factor.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

No known cure
    Scud running is a normal thing, using ground landmarks for VFR. I learned to fly in Oregon and scud running was reserved for getting back to the airport safely when weather rolled in. I wouldn't have gone up in that weather on purpose, certainly not in hilly terrain holding in the fog.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

A waste of time it is is
    Yes we did and my reply has also been sanitised. That is absolute bullshit.

There may have been no verdict but the dude settled out of court and made a public apology for the harm he had caused. I'm sorry but that goes to a mans character and shouldn't be glossed over because he happens to be good at sport.

A waste of time it is is
    Seriously, clean up in aisle 3 bullshit again?

Can't agree with you on this one, as I said he made a public apology as part of his out of court settlement, as good as admission of guilt to me and if he is going to be remembered for one action then it should be perfectly ok to remember his other actions as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    Yes we did and my reply has also been sanitised. That is absolute bullshit.

There may have been no verdict but the dude settled out of court and made a public apology for the harm he had caused. I'm sorry but that goes to a mans character and shouldn't be glossed over because he happens to be good at sport.
    I made a very similar post that was also erased.

It's unfair to judge a man's lifetime achievements based on one incident, but what transpired in that hotel room should eliminate Bryant from any discussions about greatness, on or off the court.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

High Desert MTBer
    Ah, the power of the media when injected with hard cash. Kobe was a great talent, and many enjoyed watching him demonstrate this talent. What a lucky guy, but what happened in his past should never be forgotten. Some of the news reports I have been hearing have almost completely exonerated him for any wrongdoing, which I find disturbing in the extreme. People can and do change for the better sometimes, and it looks like he truly wanted to atone. However, by whitewashing his past mistakes, we implicitly condone them. Because he is a great sporting talent should not put him above reproach.
    If he is truly sorry for what he did, then he is likely very conscious of his past, and will not have buried it like the press and public seem largely happy to do. That is how atonement works, and we diminish it by ignoring it.
    It's all Here. Now.

Cycologist
    Short Time article:

We Can Only Process Kobe Bryant's Death by Being Honest About His Life

https://time.com/5773151/kobe-bryant...icated-legacy/
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    I made a very similar post that was also erased.

It's unfair to judge a man's lifetime achievements based on one incident, but what transpired in that hotel room should eliminate Bryant from any discussions about greatness, on or off the court.
    I think again this is a great example of how we as people believe what we want to believe. Woody Allen, pervert. Kobe Bryant, hero. I have no clue what happened in that room and I have no clue how he lived his life after that incident.

But I believe that if someone truly is sorry and remorseful, and understanding of their bad actions, everyone should be forgiven. Except for NuBoy, he was a douche.

Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    Can't agree with you on this one, as I said he made a public apology as part of his out of court settlement, as good as admission of guilt to me and if he is going to be remembered for one action then it should be perfectly ok to remember his other actions as well.
    This is exactly how I feel yet I had a short lapse in judgment following Crankouts post. I forgot he did a public apology in settling with the victim. That in itself screams guilt. Now I read this article below that Chaz posted up, It says it all. Back when that whole rape thing happened I didnít follow along like I should have. Now I see he was obviously guilty and for that it should not be erased from his character just because he tried to be a better person towards women afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Short Time article:

We Can Only Process Kobe Bryant's Death by Being Honest About His Life

https://time.com/5773151/kobe-bryant...icated-legacy/
    ^ Says it all.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Mods, thank you for cleaning up my thread. I started this thread to honor the loss of someone who contributed far, far more good, than bad. And that is how he should be remembered.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

be1
    the beat goes on
    st. kobe
    You just can't beat the person who never gives up. - B.Ruth

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    I think again this is a great example of how we as people believe what we want to believe. Woody Allen, pervert. Kobe Bryant, hero. I have no clue what happened in that room and I have no clue how he lived his life after that incident.

But I believe that if someone truly is sorry and remorseful, and understanding of their bad actions, everyone should be forgiven. Except for NuBoy, he was a douche.
    What did Nuboy do to draw your ire? I know he screwed me over, but it wasn't that bad.

mtbr member
    But I believe that if someone truly is sorry and remorseful, and understanding of their bad actions, everyone should be forgiven.
    I agree and seems this incident did change him for the better. However, the flip side of the coin is he skated free of accountability due to his fame and fortune. The media and his lawyers excoriated the 19 year old victim in the public sphere while not only exonerating Kobe but elevating him to hero status. I like sports, I don't like elevating fame and fortune to pillars of society.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    What did Nuboy do to draw your ire? I know he screwed me over, but it wasn't that bad.
    Hah, I was wondering if anybody remembered him. Don't think he has posted on these boards for years - does f88 still even exist (if that was what the old forum became?)? I believe he changed his name to belyy d'yavol.

mtbr member

Felicia Sonmez, who was placed on administrative leave for the tweet and reprimanded for ďhurtingĒ the Post as an institution, said in a statement Tuesday that she wanted answers after the newspaper lifted her suspension following a media outcry.

Looks like the Washington Post did the most damage to their ďinstitutionĒ.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    That was already disproved by photos of the 2 of them flying together.

Something tells me, dirtjunkie, you are a huge basketball fan.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I agree and seems this incident did change him for the better. However, the flip side of the coin is he skated free of accountability due to his fame and fortune. The media and his lawyers excoriated the 19 year old victim in the public sphere while not only exonerating Kobe but elevating him to hero status. I like sports, I don't like elevating fame and fortune to pillars of society.

Yeah, I was not talking about Kobe per se but in general. I do wonder if we will eventually hear from the lady at the center - although doing so may put her life at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    That was already disproved by photos of the 2 of them flying together.

Something tells me, dirtjunkie, you are a huge basketball fan.
    Nope not at all. Just always curious on these type of events and whats new that they are reporting on around every corner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post

Excellent post Whalenard. Asa somebody who worked in law enforcement for 31 years and dealt with many cases of sexual assault, I can tell you they are VERY hard to prove. Consequently, even seemingly solid cases get dropped if the DA doesn't think it's a winnable case. Just the mere fact that the DA in Colorado was pressing forward leads me to believe he felt he had a decent case. The victim backed off after being paid million sin a settlement. Kobe then "apologized" to his wife with the purchase of millions in jewelry. He was not the saint that the current round of press has bestowed upon him.

As far as I'm concerned, that is Kobe's destiny. Just as Clinton's is Monica and the Patriots cheated....repeatedly.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    https://www.bikemag.com/news/mountai...-bryant-crash/

More questions than answers (re: the pilot) after reading this article. Apparently, he was a favorite among LA-based NBA guys; even Kawhi mentioned recently that he flew with the same pilot all the time.

Cycologist
    I find it odd that people think they know celebrities when they don't. Sure, we may have some insight into who they are based on the things they do outside of their profession, but we still don't really know them. Especially actors, here are people trained to behave differently than who they really are and yet we think we know who they really are. I remember when the whole OJ thing went down, people were talking about how he seemed like a great guy. And Cosby was worse. Of course, people can be nice and all but still have a dark side as well.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Excellent post Whalenard. Asa somebody who worked in law enforcement for 31 years and dealt with many cases of sexual assault, I can tell you they are VERY hard to prove. Consequently, even seemingly solid cases get dropped if the DA doesn't think it's a winnable case. Just the mere fact that the DA in Colorado was pressing forward leads me to believe he felt he had a decent case. The victim backed off after being paid million sin a settlement. Kobe then "apologized" to his wife with the purchase of millions in jewelry. He was not the saint that the current round of press has bestowed upon him.

As far as I'm concerned, that is Kobe's destiny. Just as Clinton's is Monica and the Patriots cheated....repeatedly.
    I thought the case was dropped because she did not want to testify. The settlement came after they went to a civil trial. Therefor it is not accurate to say she backed off after she was paid. Thin blue line.

I thought the case was dropped because she did not want to testify. The settlement came after they went to a civil trial. Therefor it is not accurate to say she backed off after she was paid. Thin blue line.
    Thatís how I understood it. She was in fear of testifying given his huge status in the sports world.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Statement from Vanessa Bryant.

- - -

Sent using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thatís how I understood it. She was in fear of testifying given his huge status in the sports world.
    I think it was complicated. Kobe's team leaked her name. She was getting bad press and being made the victim. And once she refused to testify the case fell apart.

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/02/u...rape-case.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Hah, I was wondering if anybody remembered him. Don't think he has posted on these boards for years - does f88 still even exist (if that was what the old forum became?)? I believe he changed his name to belyy d'yavol.
    He gave me his phone number and told me to ask for "Donny Youngblood". I called it and it turned out to be the Kern County Sheriff's office and Donny is the Sheriff. After that, I was done with Old Nu.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    He gave me his phone number and told me to ask for "Donny Youngblood". I called it and it turned out to be the Kern County Sheriff's office and Donny is the Sheriff. After that, I was done with Old Nu.
    Hah, too funny. I often wondered if he was really one of those hippies he always showed pictures of.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    The only thing surprising to me about this whole thing is that people apparently still watch basketball. I had no idea. I would have guessed that even cooking shows had higher ratings than NBA games these days. I don't know a single person who watches. I don't even see pro ball on a bars. Maybe college, but I rarely see pro basketball on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    The only thing surprising to me about this whole thing is that people apparently still watch basketball. I had no idea. I would have guessed that even cooking shows had higher ratings than NBA games these days. I don't know a single person who watches. I don't even see pro ball on a bars. Maybe college, but I rarely see pro basketball on.
    Actually the NBA as a league is doing really well. Attendance is up as is revenue and player salaries.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    out of curiosity, where do you live?

This is a sad read.

Kobe Bryant Died Today!-3fcf4238-805b-4475-8228-3fb42e2767ac.jpg

https://sports.yahoo.com/newly-relea...EY7CE3YTwlSLis

Jcdís bike Photo above puts it in perspective.