iPhone VS TV- Mtbr.com

Thread: iPhone VS TV

mtbr member

iPhone VS TV

Probably not what you're thinking.

Last night I was in the car with my son and I was talking about how crazy the pricing of some consumer goods seems to be. As an example I gave the iPhone.

I don't know about the US but here in the UK you can buy a pretty good 42' flat-screen TV for less than the price of an iPhone. They're both made in china, both are made of broadly similar materials but the TV uses a lot more of them. It needs more packing and costs more to ship.

My son interrupted and said 'But the iPhone is a computer'. I said 'Well so is the TV'. With all the high-speed incoming signal processing it has to do and running the display I reckon a modern TV probably has at least similar processing power to an iPhone.

So does anyone know? Is there a technical reason why iPhones are so expensive or it just as I suspect, that Apple are robbing b******'s who pray on the gullible?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post

Last night I was in the car with my son and I was talking about how crazy the pricing of some consumer goods seems to be. As an example I gave the iPhone.

I don't know about the US but here in the UK you can buy a pretty good 42' flat-screen TV for less than the price of an iPhone. They're both made in china, both are made of broadly similar materials but the TV uses a lot more of them. It needs more packing and costs more to ship.

My son interrupted and said 'But the iPhone is a computer'. I said 'Well so is the TV'. With all the high-speed incoming signal processing it has to do and running the display I reckon a modern TV probably has at least similar processing power to an iPhone.

So does anyone know? Is there a technical reason why iPhones are so expensive or it just as I suspect, that Apple are robbing b******'s who pray on the gullible?
    What the hell do i know but,

1:What ever the market will bear.
    2:The iphone is a fraction of the size of
    A tv, so some high tech high end componenents are involved.
    3: All these phone companies are ripping us off. $800 for a phone that probably cost them less than $100 to produce.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

One ring to mash them all
    If you added to your TV a 4G wireless modem, networked wifi router, audio and video recording devices, GPS/GLONASS, an accelerometer, touch screen interface, speech-to-text, and other requisite hardware and software to provide general-purpose computing functionality, then it would approach the capability of a modern smart phone (iPhone or otherwise) -- and would be quite a bit more expensive than the original TV.

Want it to fit into your pocket? Gotta pay extra for that.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

Meatbomb
    Cell phones are just a fad.

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Cell phones are just a fad.
    Yep, I'm personally holding out for a return of the pony express.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    Yep, I'm personally holding out for a return of the pony express.
    I think you mean bike messenger.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I think you mean bike messenger.
    You get your new fangled steel horses out of here dammit. I'm bringing back the telegraph.

Meatbomb
    ...---...,...---...,...---...,.--..-.--..---..-----...

mtbr member
    Think the biggest reason, other than those mentioned, is that tvs are pretty much at a plateau point. Meaning their means of receiving signal have all been around for a while and standardized. Even hd has been around over a decade now. Plus there's a lot more room for error with a tv, that sits inside, relatively safe and stationary. Companies and factories are set up, and they also have a much more predictable market/estimate of how many will be sold. Phones are always pushing the envelope to gob up and trend the market

Last night I was in the car with my son and I was talking.
    This is the important part here ^
    Besides the cost of, what's the cost to?
    So many people, experiences, memories, opportunities, and even lives lost because instead head buried in phone. Scary when you see how many are texting and otherwise distracted when driving. Sad when you see a group of people out together, on the phone. Couch potato was a good name. We need a new one for this new phenomenon.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    I have some TV's. But no use for an iPhone.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    If you added to your TV a 4G wireless modem, networked wifi router, audio and video recording devices, GPS/GLONASS, an accelerometer, touch screen interface, speech-to-text, and other requisite hardware and software to provide general-purpose computing functionality, then it would approach the capability of a modern smart phone (iPhone or otherwise) -- and would be quite a bit more expensive than the original TV.

Want it to fit into your pocket? Gotta pay extra for that.
    On the other hand, I bought a windows lumia phone for $180 and it has all that technology in it. My 42" TV was about $220. I think iPhones are stupidly overpriced, same goes for the galaxy and all other $600+ phones.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Simple supply and demand. People will pay, they find the tool to be useful, therefore a private company has the right to set pricing accordingly. If the price adversely affects demand, price goes down or company suffers/fails. I guess you could call all Apple buyers gullible, but do you expect the company to have a heart and decrease pricing to feel good about their "gullible" customer base?
    If you really feel Apple is raping society, go buy their stock and do some good for yourself. They've never represented themselves as a non-profit.

Welcome to capitalism.

Cycologist
    I bought a Moto X Pure Edition about 6 or 7 months ago for $300 and it is a great phone. I like it a lot better than the Galaxy 5 I had prior; the Moto doesn't have a lot of crap added to it that most manufacturers (such as Samsung) add on top of Android and that eat up your storage with stuff you never use. It has a great camera. It is a two year old design but that hasn't been an issue. It does not have a finger print reader but so what? I think they will be discontinued soon but if something happened to my current one, I would not hesitate to buy another.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Pipe Dreamer
    Baaaa

iPhone VS TV-isheep.jpg
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Maaaaan

You are correct.
    Digital T.V. has a small CPU in it and a mid-range GPU, but yet they cost considerably less than the equivalent power in a PC.
    Not to mention things like what amounts to a built in high quality monitor etc.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.