poser Administrator

Inventions that have screwed up some long standing standard

When I listen to music I like hearing people sing. I have to say that the inventor of the autotune has really made music sound all the same. I can't think of a single situation where autotune has made anything better.

When Sony made the walkman they made music portable, however they pretty much killed off the going to your friends house, hanging out and listening to the new album with the rest of your friends. Initially I was going to call out the inventor of the Cassette tape but many a time I went to listen to a friends new tape while we all sat around.

The GPS for cars. Back in the day you took a road atlas with you, you marked your route with pencil or pen, you circled campgrounds or places with gas and you headed out. If the road was under construction you pulled over and consulted the atlas again and picked out a new route. Now you just plug in the directions and drive where it tells you.

The memory list for a phone. There was time when you knew all your friends phone numbers, you would grab a phone punch in the numbers and call. Now the only phone number I know is my wife's and my mom's and only because it is still the same as when I was a kid. I remember friends from grade school's phone numbers still but I couldn't tell you my business partner's phone number. If I lost my phone I would probably be lost, although at least everyone i know still has email. Lose my computer too and I am the UnaBomber living in a shack in the woods hoping someone comes by and talks to me face to face.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

AZ
    banned
    The telephone largely killed face to face communication. The beginning of the end of civilization.

Pale Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    The telephone largely killed face to face communication. The beginning of the end of civilization.
    Phone texting has almost killed mouth-to-ear communication.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I can't think of a single situation where autotune has made anything better.
    You obviously haven't heard this gem.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MX0D4oZwCsA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    Phone texting has almost killed mouth-to-ear communication.
    I an slightly related note I was commuting from work one day and forgot to give my wife the usual text saying I had left work and to expect me in 45min. I grabbed my phone and fumbled to the text menu while riding a back street. I got it to the text page then had the thought:

"if only there was a way that I could send a message with my voice" then i slapped my forehead, pulled over and called her. Dumbass moment for me there for sure.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    You obviously haven't heard this gem.

That is just wrong.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I an slightly related note I was commuting from work one day and forgot to give my wife the usual text saying I had left work and to expect me in 45min. I grabbed my phone and fumbled to the text menu while riding a back street. I got it to the text page then had the thought:

"if only there was a way that I could send a message with my voice" then i slapped my forehead, pulled over and called her. Dumbass moment for me there for sure.
    I thought it was funny when I got my new phone a while back and discovered that you can use your voice to write the text instead of actually typing it. If I wanted to talk to the damn phone why the hell wouldn't I just call whoever I was texting???

conjoinicorned
    The telephone? LOL none of us have ever seen a world without one, presumptuous that the world was better beforehand I'd say (although at the same time I would love to agree with you!)

I'm gonna throw my vote in for video games (or the modern equivalent known as social media), replacing the standard of getting the heck outside for some playtime
    Last edited by ferday; 05-16-2012 at 05:22 PM.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    The telephone? LOL none of us have ever seen a world without one, presumptuous that the world was better beforehand I'd say (although at the same time I would love to agree with you!)

I'm gonna throw my vote in for video games (or the modern equivalent known as social media), replacing the standard of getting the heck outside for some playtime
    I appreciate the phone and social media to some extents. It has made the world a smaller place but it has also made the world a more educated and tolerant place. However, it ain't a hobby or a career as a lot of people believe it is.

Recently I lost my mind when I saw someone call themselves a "social media architect". As an professional registered architect I take offense at the borrowing of my title for things like "the architect of war" "IT architects" etc but at least most of those uses have a semblance of similarity to what I do for a living, however a Social media architect is not someone that spent 5 years at a University, 5 years in a Nationally Accredited program, 3 years of internship under a registered architect, 9 nationally established exams, $1000 and $1000's of dollars spent on tuition, exams, supplies, registration boards and certification.

All a social media expert is is a low self esteem person needing to validate their existence by helping others validate their existence.

There I said it. Screw FB.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

see me rollin, they hatin
    well i'm a massive tard when it comes to maps. GPS works for me....

now, i will never get into nooks or kindles or any of that. i like to "touch" paper.

Same with smart phones. i think i'm just being cheap though.

Titanium junkie
    My cell phone does nothing but receive and make calls, do have voice
    mail but don't answer often. I don't use GPS, just a compass and memory.
    Have a facebook account I never check.And my bike is, well you all know what I ride.
    I do without most Technology, as when I am out I don't want to talk, I am there to ride.
    If I don't answer, I didn't want to talk at that point and time.
    The World in my humble opinion is turning faceless, and honor and integrity in my
    view is dying. When people can walk by and allow a woman to get raped, somebody to be beaten
    within an inch of their life , somebody to get run down by a car, and shout"I don't want to
    get involved", all I see is society coming to an end, and with it the World. I will not let Technology
    get in the way of the things I hold dear , being alert to my fellow man or woman.

And yes Rockcrusher, I agree with all you have said.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

Retired User
    Gunpowder and gunpowder born ballistics come to mind. Dying by the hand of the sword was far more noble....I guess, though admittedly I have no firsthand knowledge of dying by either means.

banned
    Cloning. Like there aren't enough a$$holes on Earth, (myself included) now we can clone them.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Man's biggest failure is without a doubt, MONEY! As time goes on it becomes less valuable. Where's the logic in that????
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Modern parenting.

These books, videos, shows, etc. have bred self-entitlement among the last two or three generations. It used to be that regular people were pretty humble, and you earned pride when you accomplished something - now everybody is "special"; everybody "wins", and everybody gets a "trophy". Modern parenting has forced schools to give every kid a participation trophy and award the bare minimum and by doing so, everybody is a "winner" - even the losers. This, in the end, breeds trolls.

BITD, when a kid was obnoxious, they were scorned. Very quickly, somebody (like a parent or teacher) would "check" their attitude - you just didn't act that way, and you conducted yourself respectfully. Now? These children growing up with self-entitlment become adults and get a trolling voice, and some people celebrate that. All because society has been forced into something that is very unnatural - eliminating the pecking order. God forbid a kid experiences losing - their feelings will be huuuurrrrttttt....

On top of that, I've seen that modern parenting packs their kids schedules with extra circular stuff. Nothing wrong with baseball or karate classes, but we have neighbors who's girls go to school, go to piano, go to dance, go to karate, and then Chinese school on Saturdays. When you pile on homework, the kid is literally booked from 8am to 8pm, everyday. What is this doing to a kid's psyche? When I was 8, I had alone time, which allowed me to be creative with my time - my first job out of college was Art Director. Why? Because I had time to draw when I was 8. Not running off to piano/soccer/karate/homework.

IDK, I think parents had a pretty good handle on things before all this stuff came out. I know I sound like an old, cranky man, but I'm not sure if all this "everybody's a winner" thing and creating little attention deficit disorder kids is going to do much good for society.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55 View Post
    Gunpowder and gunpowder born ballistics come to mind. Dying by the hand of the sword was far more noble....I guess, though admittedly I have no firsthand knowledge of dying by either means.
    NO! Without the invention of gunpowder, I wouldn't have this (or the others in my small arsenal of zombie killers)

But, after I was done with the thousands of rounds of ammo I have, I would definitely have to switch to a machete.

Ride More, Work Less
    **-age (bronze-age, iron-age, computer-age)...these are the high profile advances

Other, perhaps more original transformations
    --tractors: ruled out "horse power", dramatically increased farm production by dramatically lowering quality and nearly wiping the family farm off the map

--shamwow: no wait, I still use a towel so that is out

-Encarta: the idea of filling a bookshelf with 200 pounds of outdated text seems so archaic once an electronic encyclopedia was introduced. While I love online access to information, there is something more intimate with paper-based literature

mtbr member
    According to Plato, the invention of writing by the god Theuth destroyed human memory and wisdom.

Plato's King Thamus says of this invention,

"Theuth, what you have discovered is a receipt for recollection, not for memory,. And as for wisdom, your pupils will have the reputation for it without the reality: they will receive a quantity of information without proper instruction, and in consequence be thought very knowledgeable when they are for the most part quite ignorant. And because they are filled with the conceit of wisdom instead of real wisdom they will be a burden to society"

The same could be said for tha interwebz, no?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cackalacky View Post
    According to Plato, the invention of writing by the god Theuth destroyed human memory and wisdom.

Plato's King Thamus says of this invention,

"Theuth, what you have discovered is a receipt for recollection, not for memory,. And as for wisdom, your pupils will have the reputation for it without the reality: they will receive a quantity of information without proper instruction, and in consequence be thought very knowledgeable when they are for the most part quite ignorant. And because they are filled with the conceit of wisdom instead of real wisdom they will be a burden to society"

The same could be said for tha interwebz, no?
    What a great quote. + rep!

Huckin' trails
    Calculators anybody ? They just make you dumber as you use them. You stop thinking about the numbers and even get to double check on yours if 16*3 really equals 48...
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

fading away
    Antares software came up with the Autotune technology back in 1997. People never imagined it would be abused as much as it was.

However, I see a couple good uses for it, thanks to Schmoyoho and the Gregory Brothers:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zjYSERaXEGI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5CO2SfB1dnA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Awesomeness is possible.
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Modern parenting.

I can't rep you so how bout a

Yes, I have kids.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I still do a lot of things the "old" way. A lot
    of my friends think its pretty funny.The best
    one for me was a friends kid who couldn't
    tell what time it was if the clock had hands
    and wasn't digital.

Best, John

since 4/10/2009
    Ah, pining for the days of low-tech.

Many of the things mentioned so far (except autotune, def no good use for it) have their place. The problem becomes when people take them too far. When was the last time someone just came by to visit? Since I moved out on my own, It's been rare. I have been known to drive 800 miles just to drop by unannounced. My father gets angry when people do that and don't call first.

I wish more people were coming to my house unannounced to visit instead of those trying to sell me crap I don't need. Telephone, cell phone, email have all contributed to the loss of face to face sociability.

I like that where I live now I know most of my neighbors. But that has not always been the case. I blame TV for getting people to lock themselves inside and ignore their neighbors. Too bad I'm moving this summer. I do like my neighborhood.

I think the air conditioner is a pretty insidious device, too. It sucks power, makes people think about living places they would think are too hot otherwise, and enables them to sit inside watching tv during the hot times of year, only being mildly inconvenienced by the heat for the few moments it takes to walk from the house to the car and from the car to the office.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm not anti-technology, but with the way technology is going, I don't like it. It makes people lazy, stupid and impatient.
    Industrial/mechanical technology has helped tremendously, but the electronics and medical are what's killing us. Soon we'll just like the people in the movie Wall-E, fat and ignorant of their past/present and future.

Back to the topic at hand: Rumba. C'mon! You can't spend 5 minutes to vacuum the living room?!?!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Telephone, cell phone, email have all contributed to the loss of face to face sociability.
    People say these things, but most have been patched into the Matrix already.

I'm a fraternal insurance counselor, and I do insurance from an estate planning side for individuals and businesses. When you work in the fraternal system, we pride ourselves with home visits, for solicitation, service, and I even process death claims, in person - at the home.

I try to use this as a selling point with prospective clients, but for many that just doesn't ring a bell. Most life insurance companies, when it comes to processing death claims, the client has to call on the phone and speak to a stranger. With our philosophy, we process the claim in person, and in two weeks, we pay a visit to the family and hand-deliver the check (unless they prefer mail, but I personally wouldn't want a $1,000,000 tax free check going through USPS).

I one time did a death claim for a man who had many life insurance policies. The wife tells me: "My husband had many life insurance policies. With (you company) it was the smallest - but you're the ONLY agent that came to visit me and my children."

Many people don't care about the personal touches anymore. It's sad - I make it a point to drop by and visit my elderly clients, especially those who are sick. They always offer me a soda or coffee, and then I go off to my other in-home appointments. The old people love it, anybody under the age of 60 just don't appreciate it.

I just pay a visit. I don't push a sale or anything - it's just good, old fashion face-to-face visits to let them know I'm there as a good agent. Some of my clients are so old at this point, I couldn't sell them anything, anyway. I also take time to meet their adult children if they are local so they know who they will be working with "when it happens".

I also send hand written letters to my clients in the form of birthday cards, anniversary cards, thank you cards, etc. Not much of a response from that, either.

This is what society has become. Now I see MetLife selling term insurance with a phone call. You never meet your agent, they don't work on looking at assets-to-liabilities... nothing. One of the most important financial decisions you can make - is ordered like delivery pizza.

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Calculators anybody ? They just make you dumber as you use them. You stop thinking about the numbers and even get to double check on yours if 16*3 really equals 48...
    +1 on this.

i was always quite the math whiz as a kid, taking classes 2 years ahead of where i was in school. we had some fancy TI calcs available back then (late 70s/early 80s) but we were never allowed to use them in school. I got good enough that I was able to do a lot of stuff in my head, even geometry.

Nowadays, anything beyond the simple multiplication/division tables requires me to bust out the calculator. Got spoiled and lazy during the many years i did construction as a layout man, had my nice fancy calculator right there to figure rafter lengths and stair stringers for me... stuff i used to be able to do in my head that i gave to the calculators. And now I pay...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    People say these things, but most have been patched into the Matrix already.
    various forms of electronic communication have their place. just before classes let out here, I saw a couple of occasions where a carload of students was visiting the store, and in the parking lot, EVERY passenger had their noses down into the phone. wtf? what about the people you're so close to, you're probably touching them? that kind of behavior is just ridiculous.

I wish my health insurance co by rule had someone who kept up with me in person like the way you do business. there were really times we needed to just sit down with someone face-to-face and get something straightened out (usually, every time a bill showed up).

I've got another one for the original topic: the mobile video system. now nearly every SUV and minivan has a video system where the kids can watch videos or play games while they're riding in the back. whatever happened to counting license plates, or identifying road kill, or poking your sister?

mtbr member
    i gotta agree with Natehawk on the mobile video system. having a 9yr old, i've tried VERY hard to minimize if not destroy electronic baby-sitters that may get introduced to my kiddo. They're all so tech savvy at such a young age these days already. I'm pretty proud(atleast for now) of the fact that my kid will choose to go outside everytime instead of spending anytime with a video game or tv. fingers crossed.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    +1 on this.

i was always quite the math whiz as a kid, taking classes 2 years ahead of where i was in school. we had some fancy TI calcs available back then (late 70s/early 80s) but we were never allowed to use them in school. I got good enough that I was able to do a lot of stuff in my head, even geometry.

Nowadays, anything beyond the simple multiplication/division tables requires me to bust out the calculator. Got spoiled and lazy during the many years i did construction as a layout man, had my nice fancy calculator right there to figure rafter lengths and stair stringers for me... stuff i used to be able to do in my head that i gave to the calculators. And now I pay...
    As a Freshman in college, I was accused of cheating on an exam once because I had learned how to do basic calculus in my head. My high school calculus teacher had taught us mental techniques to do that stuff in our heads, and for the basic stuff, I could figure it in my head faster than it took to write out all the little steps.

I have always struggled with doing arithmetic in my head, though. I don't know why it's been so difficult. I frequently shush the people I'm with when I'm trying to calculate a tip, because too much background noise makes it hard for me to think straight. I absolutely refuse to pull out my phone to use the "tip calculator". it takes me longer, but I figure if I don't even try, then my mental deterioration will accelerate. I've been known to write out my calculations on the back of the receipt when I'm having trouble and refuse to let someone else do the calculation for me.

Suckin wind like a boss
    yeah ill go along with the electronic babysitting. my 10 year old doesnt get any of that- lives with his mom and she is not for it at all, for which i am eternally grateful. i have a friend with an autistic daughter, however, that has been glued to the tv or internet since she was a baby. first it was spongebob- oh dear god how i hate that show so much...hours upon hours of spongebob, and the kid would sit literally within a foot of the tv and sit motionless. now, shes 10, and its justin bieber on her netbook, for hours and hours.

i cant really say i fault him, because despite the fact she is not autistic in a debilitating way (she does go to public school), she is still a tough one to keep entertained for any length of time... and if she isnt being entertained, she is grazing the kitchen nonstop and eating him out of house and home lol. at the same time id think it would be cool of him to get her a bicycle and get her riding it- she would probably need training wheels, even at 10, but if he could get her interested enough i think she would do like she does with everything else- attack it with a singular focus that we only wish we could do.

i think electronic babysitting is an abandonment of basic parenting skills, to a degree, thats been brought upon society over the past 40 or 50 years worth of technology and other societal influences that have helped to diminish the family unit.

since 4/10/2009
    my niece is a Dora freak. ugh. talk about another annoying form of electronic babysitting. I'm going to get that kid on a bike if it kills me. I think I'm getting her a balance bike this Christmas. she'll be about 3, so she'll be about ready. I also plan to take her on nature walks when I move up there. she needs to be exposed to that stuff, and I don't think my sister and her husband will do it.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Bunch of Luddites!

Really though, I agree with the fact that kids today have wayyy too much screen time, something that has had as much to do with the fattening of the world population as high fructose corn syrup. My 10 y.o. has an iPod but is only allowed to use it for music during the school week and generally prefers to leave it and play outside anyway. His mom and I also just got him a laptop as the school he will be attending next year has all homework assignments online. Hard to completely get away from progress.

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    Well, I know I just saw a Specialized E-bike and see more and more motors for bikes on Craigslist. Sure, fat people should be able to ride a bike too.

S#!+! How many times have we seen "prolly" used for the word "probably"? Or how about "I dont care?" Seems like nobody really cares anymore. Maybe I'm just seeing too much bad news lately.

Nobody blames politics?
    Last edited by Koppuh Klyde; 05-17-2012 at 10:03 AM. Reason: add smileys
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

mtbr member
    I saw a couple of occasions where a carload of students was visiting the store, and in the parking lot, EVERY passenger had their noses down into the phone. wtf? what about the people you're so close to, you're probably touching them? that kind of behavior is just ridiculous.
    My teenage brother came over to my house with his girlfriend one time. Typically, as teens do, they were quiet and didn't have much to add to the conversation in the room. Making it worse was the fact that they were texting each other while they sat SIDE BY SIDE on the couch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I thought I would add these 2 short video's for your pleasure. The 1st one I was reminded of by the Wall-E comment. Which sadly enough I use to talk about the kids I will probably be teaching in the future. They are so lazy and entitled.

Will Honda's electric unicycle make walking obsolete?

The second one is to show how technology has absolutely ruined a couple generations of students. This kid "I think" was on Wheel of Fortune during the college week. I'd really like to thank Big Government for stepping in and "helping" reform education (read as tie my hands behind my back and make sure No Child is Left Behind/the ultimate in every kid gets a trophy)

AOL.com Video - Biggest 'Wheel Of Fortune' Fail Ever

Enjoy or cry, which ever seems fitting.

Bryan

mtbr member
    Facebook and smart phones are killing the automobile.

Kids used to want a drivers license so they could meet up with their friends. Now they do it online. They don't get a driver's license till way later.

They never get into the car culture in their formative years.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    They never get into the car culture in their formative years.
    That's something sad. Back in the days, my dad used to have automotive and mechanic class in high school, at the same level as you would have gym and history class. But now the kids don't even touch a tool or bolt and don't have a clue on which way you turn the screwdriver to put or remove a screw... But they can all they you what is the exact scientific name of the ClO2PL.... They don't know woodworking, they get lost when they have to deal with installing appliances, but they sure know how to make weird smiley in their textos... Plus majority of them are complete noob when it comes to computer outside of using FB and hotmail...
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Speaking of kids today, I wonder how this one is going to turn out.
    I was checking my e-mail right after watching that hilarious wheel of fortune vid and there it was...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Inventions that have screwed up some long standing standard-picture-3.png  

mtbr member
    When i used to race alot of road, the biggest fear heading out on early morning training rides was always the drunk sleepy driver going home from an all-night binge now it's EVERY driver who may be on a device.

my dad said to me the other day as he was playing with my son that he got off lucky with me cuz all he had to worry about when he was raising me and my brothers was sex, drugs, and rock n roll.
    Last edited by 53119; 05-17-2012 at 12:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Not really a high tech thing, but grocery stores have really ruined people's ablilties with food. Everything is mass produced with preservatives, adjuncts and artificial flavorings.

It used to be normal for people to make their own cheese, cream, milk, eggs, bread, beer, whiskey, vegetables, meats. You knew what you were eating because you made it, grew it, butchered it. So much of the freshness and flavor of homemade food is gone and completely unknown to most people.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Big Mac
    This is all because you are just a good person. Thanks for being a good person.

mtbr member
    Inflatable sheep.

mtbr member
    Internet forums. Once upon a time you used to have to go down the pub to find a really miserable, grumpy old git, spewing bile about how everything was better in the day. Now they're delivered to directly your computer. A complete shite-storm of pre-packaged, homogenized, hate filled bastardy.

Where's the fun in that?

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang 21 View Post
    Inflatable sheep.
    Pics or it didnt happen.

AZ
    banned
    Attached Images Attached Images  

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Condoms.

Total loss of sensitivity compared to going in bald headed.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    Hehe. I guess thats all the mods would let through anyways.

Censorship! Worst invention ever. AZ.. youre a genious.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Not really a high tech thing, but grocery stores have really ruined people's ablilties with food. Everything is mass produced with preservatives, adjuncts and artificial flavorings.

It used to be normal for people to make their own cheese, cream, milk, eggs, bread, beer, whiskey, vegetables, meats. You knew what you were eating because you made it, grew it, butchered it. So much of the freshness and flavor of homemade food is gone and completely unknown to most people.
    Totally. My first homemade alcohol - awesome. Wife's first homemade cheese - awesome. Raw milk given from a friend who has more than they can drink (because it is illegal for them to sell it) - amazing. Fresh fruits and vegetables picked from my garden - great!

I have yet to get into making my own bread but plan to. Also want to have some livestock at some point.

To add to this, the grocery store getting stuff from all over also means that people are accustomed to whatever they want whenever they want it. There is no seasonality to produce. So many have no idea that there are seasons for all produce when it is better because it's all picked unripe and artificially ripened in warehouses before going to the grocery store

mtbr member
    I have yet to get into making my own bread but plan to. Also want to have some livestock at some point.
    It only takes about a 1/2 acre of open space to raise two cows. Butcher one a year and you can eat off of it all year long. At an old job, my foreman did exactly that. Two cows in a small area behind his house. He would butcher one a year. He ate steak almost everyday for lunch. Kinda made me feel stupid, sitting there eating a juicy steak while I had PB&Js
    So many reasons to do this-
    *Its cheaper than buying all the meat, even if you pay somebody to do the butchering.
    *You know what goes into your meat. You control all the antibiotics, hormones, etc.
    *Great learning experience for kids. They need to learn where their food comes from.
    *The meat tastes so much better than what you buy at the grocery store.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    It only takes about a 1/2 acre of open space to raise two cows. Butcher one a year and you can eat off of it all year long. At an old job, my foreman did exactly that. Two cows in a small area behind his house. He would butcher one a year. He ate steak almost everyday for lunch. Kinda made me feel stupid, sitting there eating a juicy steak while I had PB&Js
    So many reasons to do this-
    *Its cheaper than buying all the meat, even if you pay somebody to do the butchering.
    *You know what goes into your meat. You control all the antibiotics, hormones, etc.
    *Great learning experience for kids. They need to learn where their food comes from.
    *The meat tastes so much better than what you buy at the grocery store.
    cows are an unlikely option considering where I will be moving later this summer, Indianapolis, IN. local ordinances would most certainly prohibit them. most likely would be a few chickens - I know that's okay because my grandparents keep several in the city limits. possibly a couple of goats, but that might be pushing it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    MP3 files: they sound like crap if you play them on a real audio system. At least vinyl and CDs sound good.

SamIAm
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    MP3 files: they sound like crap if you play them on a real audio system. At least vinyl and CDs sound good.
    this! there is just so much MORE music when it is very high quality +320k. notice most when rocking loud house or whatever and when a good track comes on u can just feeel the crispness and clarity to it. makes listening to all that noise horrid until its plugged into earbuds. then its all just meh. but dont get me wrong. low quality music is better no music. i mean comon, who out there doesnt have some awesome 16bit nintendo themes and such that float their boat
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

Members who have read this thread: 0