mtbr member

Inflatable Kayaks?

anybody have one? i'm looking under $200 and i've found a couple models but i'm looking for some first hand experience

mtbr member
    Like how nice? I know that in Southern Oregon, they use these orange Sevlors for a lot of stuff, including running down the Lower Rogue. They hold up ok, are ok to paddle, they guide hundreds of novice paddlers down the river in 'em a year.

SOTAR makes a top of the line one that is a good boat, but it will cost you more than $200 I imagine. SOTAR's stuff is pretty killer, though. My family owns several of their boats, including inflatable kayaks, and they are worth the investment.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Thanks, to be more specific. i'm here in south florida and i'd be using it down in the keys and possibly at peace river. so i don't need it for white water or anything, maybe some light to moderate chop.

can be 1 person or two but if 1 person i need a bit of storage for a backpack with some clothes and camping supplies.

since 4/10/2009
    why do you want an inflatable?

a cheap boat is going to be just that...a cheap boat. the cheap inflatables I've seen look little better than innertubes.

why not look for a used kayak?

sounds like a sit-on-top would be ideal for what you're looking for. if you're using it around the keys in "big water", you'll want a longer boat, since wind and currents can REALLY wreck the handling of a short boat. short boats are good for sheltered waters.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    why do you want an inflatable?

a cheap boat is going to be just that...a cheap boat. the cheap inflatables I've seen look little better than innertubes.

why not look for a used kayak?

sounds like a sit-on-top would be ideal for what you're looking for. if you're using it around the keys in "big water", you'll want a longer boat, since wind and currents can REALLY wreck the handling of a short boat. short boats are good for sheltered waters.
    good question. i live in an apartment with a room mate. having a hard bottom is completely out of the question.

AZ
    banned
    No way I'd go with an inflatible especially when you can find good deals;

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Kayak14' Pelican-2 seats

Tandem(2 seat) kayak

NEW KAYAK(S) AND PADDLEBOARD(S) FOR SALE

kayak, Potomac

Here's an inflatable;

Inflatable Kayak

Happy hunting.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Adding a brand suggestion:

Inflatable Kayaks | Kayaks made for recreational, high performance, sit-on-top self bailing and multi-use.

Post on your local "wanted" boards or Craigs. Many folks have nice boats not being used they'll part with. Friend recently snagged a great hard shell with accessories for $50!
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

since 4/10/2009
    if storage space is a concern, have you considered a skin-on-frame foldable boat? a good one also won't be cheap, but the paddling performance will be better than an inflatable.

you can make it work with a plastic or better boat, too. you just might need to rent a storage locker for it somewhere. not so convenient, but it's an option.

I'm also aware of folks who have had large plastic boats in 2nd floor apartments and they've rigged up a rope winch system to get the boat onto the balcony, and some even store the boat in the living room. the ability to do that would depend heavily on the boat and the apartment, but it's also an option. you've just gotta be flexible and creative.

Hermit
    If you're looking at one of those Sea Eagles just be warned that they are not very sturdy or particularly well designed. Good inflatables are going to cost quite a bit more than $200.

When I lived in an apartment I built a rack that held my kayak above the entertainment stand in the living room, right below the ceiling. So I was able to store it indoors in wasted space. Kinda weird to some people, but seemed totally normal to me.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Well, the Sevlors are surprisingly tough (even if they look like a kid's toy). I've seen them drug across miles of ground on a portage or bounce of rock after rock. The higher end ones even have a "self bailing" system (you paddle in a circle and the water runs out a hole in the back). Room for 2 or gear (but no d-rings to tie stuff in very well as I recall).

But in Florida, w/ the gators and cotton mouths and all that, no way you'd catch me out in an inflatable!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Members who have read this thread: 0