Frt Range, CO

IMHO, the rep system has made MTBR a better place

I have noticed a distinct change in tone here on MTBR and I attribute it to the new rep system. The technical subforms such as drivetrain and suspension have turned into group hug, kumbya love fests. I have learned so much noob stuff on my new Reba/Monarch shocks and I was able to set up mine and my son's bikes as 2x9 with everything working right the first freaking time...new for me! Even the 29er forum has calmed down (no small miracle).

I know you guys hate the neggers but I have learned to just stay away from junk threads (received a few neg reps that I have to say I deserved). Now I always think, "do I want to risk a neg rep?" before I post and it causes me to move on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I bet you get neg rep for this.

mtbr member
    First of all, rep is junk. It means nothing as far as I am concerned. It just gives people a way to be faceless (more than the internet already does) and cowardly while handing out neg. rep. just because they don't like what you have to say, even if it's just your own opinion and not even out of line. Yeah, it's nice to give pos. rep. to someone that helps out or posts something you agree with. I think it would be better if the rep. system automatically showed who left the rep. Otherwise, I'd be perfectly happy if the rep. system went away because it serves no purpose. As far as the crap that you say rep is helping to clean up...instead of rep, that should be the mods job. Perhaps they need to do a better job or there needs to be more mods and they need to adhere to a guideline of what's acceptable and what's not.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You're kidding right...?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I think Rep COULD be a good method for helping people and I invite negative feedback as a way to improve posting.

ButÖ all the people that have left me negative rep are too damn lazy to actually explain their discontent.

Example:
    Here is my entire post in thread a while back about guns (links were hot) -

Great info on penetration of pistol vs. rifle vs. shotgun in various materials:
    Box O' Truth

Car penetration:
    Buick O' Truth

ETA: - I see he now has a Donations Page and sent him a few bucks to keep up the tests.

Neg Rep -> I donít like Posers

Humm --- I post links so you can make your own decision and Iím a gun poser? Guess what, I didnít learn a thing from this other that the guy giving the rep is probably is a TOTAL jerk that smokes too much potÖ.

As best I can tell there is no limit to the number of characters in the rep box. If you donít like something, explain why and donít be a nebulas azz.

All fat, all the time.
    I think having the Off Topic section improved things more than the rep system has.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Does a mod review a member's status if their rep goes red? Seems like that would make sense.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by RockHillMtBiker View Post
    LOL, you're right, it's pouring in!

I am really happy with the overall effect, this place is much more polite. I don't really care about my rep score, I do like to avoid being negative and the rep systems has help many of us be better members by giving direct unfiltered feedback in private. If a member is fixated on pumping up their score with an artificial circle jerk, that's OK too. It adds value to the rep system and makes others strive.

IMHO, it's working. Getting negative rep for posting on a gun topic is a message to stay on subject. This is a mountain bike forum, guns threads always get folks pumped up around here. I myself will stay away from threads about that guy with the saw attacking riders

Keep pedaling
    I used to get annoyed by posts criticizing people who like low gearing. I haven't noticed any posts like that after the rep system started.

Recently I removed two people from my ignore list, and all their posts seem okay now.

The rep system may have minor flaws and may need revisions, but overall it seems like an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I think having the Off Topic section improved things more than the rep system has.
    Same. It concentrates the stupidity and makes it easier for CHUMp and Rockcrusher to recycle anything too off kilter.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    First of all, rep is junk. It means nothing as far as I am concerned. It just gives people a way to be faceless (more than the internet already does) and cowardly while handing out neg. rep. just because they don't like what you have to say, even if it's just your own opinion and not even out of line. Yeah, it's nice to give pos. rep. to someone that helps out or posts something you agree with. I think it would be better if the rep. system automatically showed who left the rep. Otherwise, I'd be perfectly happy if the rep. system went away because it serves no purpose. As far as the crap that you say rep is helping to clean up...instead of rep, that should be the mods job. Perhaps they need to do a better job or there needs to be more mods and they need to adhere to a guideline of what's acceptable and what's not.
    i'll need a raise.
    Click Here for Forum Rules

meow meow
    ot and general are where most of the trolls seem to hang these days. that said ot is usually a fun forum with trolls that arnt bent on pissing wars, just a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    i'll need a raise.
    I'm going to go ahead and give you a 100% wage increase. I'm sure Francois and Gregg won't mind.

SS Pusher Man
    I find it funny that all these people that say Rep Points don't matter, yet they are constantly posting in these Rep Point threads.

Yet they all want the system to go away as well.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I would tend to agree.

I also notice that having the rep button right next to the report post button has encouraged me to use the report post button for more than just spam. I report more of the offensive stuff and I use it to point out threads that need moving to a different forum. Would be interesting to know if the mods have noticed an uptick in reported posts across the board.

This one is actually pro rep system. It's like a refreshing burst of mountain spring water on your junk while in deep sleep. Shocking but welcome.

see me rollin, they hatin
    exactly. now i can leave creepy heavy breathing positive reps in peoples chicklet box without them knowing who it is.
    fap

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    exactly. now i can leave creepy heavy breathing positive reps in peoples chicklet box without them knowing who it is.
    That was you?

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    That was you?
    No, that was me.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    Does a mod review a member's status if their rep goes red? Seems like that would make sense.
    I sort the member list by rep every so often and look at any user that has a low post count and a red chicklet or any user than has more than one chicklet, except davidcopperfield.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Rep is s-t-u-p-i-d!!!!

"Dream like you'll live forever, but live like you'll die today."
    -James Dean

No Stranger to danger....
    could not agree more mate, its a gutless thing to do n not leave your name next to it... its a way for the weak to feel like they are some body, ill get a few for this, cause these same guys will get upset, nothing weaker than leaving a neg rep with a nasty message next to it for next to nothing, infact its the act of a coward, and in real life where im from guys like this would be bashed.........the net is full of faceless weak cowards.....enough said

No Stranger to danger....
    Well , not 10 minutes after leaving the above post about weak gutless people that leave neg rep and weak messages, with no name attached, i get more neg rep for not spelling correctly ... f**K me....

Ill tell you one thing, you can always learn to fix your grammar,.... but you can never change from being a gutless, weak, grub......cheers champion

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RockHillMtBiker View Post
    Apparently someone found this comment offensive since they negative repped me for it. Oh...and they didn't sign it.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mhmmmm another rep thread...
    Current Ride:2012 BAMF Full Nelson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's L'axeman View Post

Ill tell you one thing, you can always learn to fix your grammar,.... but you can never change from being a gutless, weak, grub......cheers champion
    Well said! They're f in chumps!

"Dream like you'll live forever, but live like you'll die today."
    -James Dean

Vincit qui patitur
    I belive that if there is a rep system in place it should not remain faceless.
    I got a neg rep for something and I have no idea why.
    I think forum trolls just dole them out as they see fit.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2017 Salsa Powderkeg
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy 29 C R

mtbr member
    I think its funny when people get neg repped and then post a big tirade about it

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    I, in no way, worry about a bad(or good) rep before I post. I make all effort to be positive, but if a flaming is deserved, then I bring a flame thrower. Don't let a taddletales bad rep stop you from speaking your mind. Also, don't be fake to collect good reps either.

I agree that there have been alot less worthless threads lately, hence the reduction in worthless posts(which I'm guilty of as well). And I also agree that a faceless rep system is cowardly. When the anonymity of the system changes, I'll start to use it.

Keep it real y'all, be yourself. This isn't facebook!!
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I think its funny when people get neg repped and then post a big tirade about it
    Yup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I don't really care but it is slightly annoying that people are cowards about giving out negative rep. Like it said before, rep. is meaningless to me but IF a person is going to give out negatives, at least have some balls and sign it. For example, the person that left this one is not only a vagina, but a retard as well considering I have NEVER left negative rep for anyone...

So for some reason, this coward not only failed to sign it, but it's also totally pointless and false. That's why I think the rep. system is stupid and a waste, because anyone can for any reason, leave stupid comments and negative rep regardless of reason or even if the given reason is a lie. I usually just get a chuckle out of it, but sometimes it does get annoying.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Now I always think, "do I want to risk a neg rep?" before I post and it causes me to move on.
    That's the con of the rep system. It's called paranoia.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

clown question, bro
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    That's the con of the rep system. It's called paranoia.
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppy View Post
    What you just posted makes the paranoia thing even worse, thanks.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    I know you guys hate the neggers but I have learned to just stay away from junk threads .
    imma let you slide this time but racism usually gets a neg rep from me.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfruits View Post
    imma let you slide this time but racism usually gets a neg rep from me.
    i lawled.
    fap

Keep pedaling
    Maybe it would be better if negative rep needs to be approved by a moderator before it takes effect. Then people canít give negative rep just because they disagree with someone.

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball the Mystery Cat View Post
    Maybe it would be better if negative rep needs to be approved by a moderator before it takes effect. Then people canít give negative rep just because they disagree with someone.
    oh hell no. i kinda agree with those who have said that rep should be auto-tagged with the givers name, whether its positive or negative. at the same time, the anonymity empowers the trolls...but at least they can only hit you once.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball the Mystery Cat View Post
    Maybe it would be better if negative rep needs to be approved by a moderator before it takes effect. ...
    are you insane?

drunk?

dropped on head as child?

why would you do that to me?

Click Here for Forum Rules

if somebody dislikes my posts, then i'd rather duke it out in the thread itself, so at least we can debate it. Thats ok though, there are some people who dont share my opinion, and they have every right to that. So a red ball for that reason, sure!

Now, the ones that use gender-specific/sexist digs (yes i get those, and i suspect i know who gives them) well, thats just a cheap shot!
    fap

AZ
    banned

Now, the ones that use gender-specific/sexist digs (yes i get those, and i suspect i know who gives them) well, thats just a cheap shot!

IMHO, report them, burn them down. There is no place here for that, let the ban hammer strike.

^ well its weird...its like, right on the edge, between sexist and just plain mean. So i dont know if its worthy of reporting, or i'll just look whiny? hard to tell. Basically they are terms that you COULD call a man, but are meant for a woman. Then again, i know the risks of goofing off with the boys in off camber, i'm sort of asking for it to a degree.
    fap

AZ
    banned
    ^ well its weird...its like, right on the edge, between sexist and just plain mean. So i dont know if its worthy of reporting, or i'll just look whiny? hard to tell. Basically they are terms that you COULD call a man, but are meant for a woman. Then again, i know the risks of goofing off with the boys in off camber, i'm sort of asking for it to a degree.

Asking for it? I'm sorry but I disagree. There are no excuses or reasons for having to resort to sexist, demeaning comments, especially towards a woman.

eh...i dont really want to quote them and give them the satisfaction, lets just say, i've been psychoanalyzed for being a goofy girl, even when it has nothing to do do with the post that they neg. Almost like "girls shouldnt talk/act like you" sort of stuff. Hey, i'm willing to explain/debate that, but you need to bring it out into the open!
    fap

mtbr member
    what bs. i hope that doesnt get you down. some people think you should think/act/be how they are.
    theyre prob just jealous cause their wives are boring as shite

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm with AZ and Nicole, just be cool. We don't need to
    be sexist or demeaning. We are all here to have a good
    time.

Best, John

Retired User
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    ot and general are where most of the trolls seem to hang these days. that said ot is usually a fun forum with trolls that arnt bent on pissing wars, just a laugh.
    I feel like there's very little trolling in OT. Seems to stay in General, which I've started visiting less and less.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppy View Post
    you got that quote wrong.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JCGvONbVCa0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

clown question, bro
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    you got that quote wrong.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JCGvONbVCa0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    That's not what I was quoting. Although now I have that song stuck in my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

Is not amused
    Oh the irony.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

Members who have read this thread: 0