I'm about to embark on a new journey- Mtbr.com
    DFL

We the people ... I'm about to embark on a new journey

The time has come for me to change career paths. After 13 years I think I'm burned out on nursing. It's gotten to the point where I hate going to work, the agency I work for is calling me with crap assignments, and the jobs for LPNs in general are drying up so I can't find anything new. I thought hard about going to school to get my RN degree, but the earliest I can start that is Jan 2016.

I got a random call from a computer training school this week so I met with them. They found an old résumé I had posted online and thought that I might be a good fit for the IT industry based on my nursing experience and the experience with electronic medical records I have. I went into it kinda of skeptical, but by the time they explained the whole program it made sense. IT has always been something that was in the back of my mind as something I might like to do, and I've always had an aptitude for computers in general. The program takes seven months and I will have four industry standard certifications when I'm done. The GI Bill is going to pay for 100% of the tuition plus a living expense stipend, so even though there will be some belt tightening, I can tell my worthless agency to take a hike. The school also offers career services to include résumé writing assistance, interview coaching, and job placement services. That's probably the thing that sold me the most. They represent companies that are looking for qualified candidates and give them first crack at available jobs.

It's a scary prospect to be sure, but I think it's a necessary one, and I have a peace about doing it. There are just as many or more jobs available in IT as in healthcare, the earning potential is higher, and the prospects for advancement are a lot better too.

Who else has changed careers later in life? At 37 I'm not that old, but I'm also no spring chicken. Anyone else in the IT industry that may be able to give me some sage advice?
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

banned
    Jan 2013
    A scary thing to do, but you are doing it on YOUR terms. Well done sir, keep us posted on progress!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Good luck and if it doesn't work out you always have your nursing to fall back on.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

banned
    Sep 2010
    I hope it works out for you, but lately there have been a slough of stories on NPR about for-profit universities that seem good but are in fact predatory entities. The number of individuals who actually achieve the degree they are aiming at in these places is a small percentile. As are the number who find well-paying employment.

And many or most of them specialize on getting GI Bill $$$.

I'm sure you are not like that, however, and have done your due diligence on the place you are going. Good luck and Godspeed!

9 lives
    I think what you are doing is innovative and smart

Nursing isn't just limited to providing care to patients and if you can't grow or change the work flow ... you can easily burn out.
    Health Care is a huge industry with many avenues and opportunities... there is more to it than just frontline direct patient care.

I think your careerpath is a pretty interesting field. I love Infomatics and I have a good understanding although it's not my specialty field.
    I also think your nursing skills and clinical knowledge are a huge asset especially since many IT professional lack that understanding. Go with your heart and your head and evolve
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    I hope it works out for you, but lately there have been a slough of stories on NPR about for-profit universities that seem good but are in fact predatory entities. The number of individuals who actually achieve the degree they are aiming at in these places is a small percentile. As are the number who find well-paying
    employment.

And many or most of them specialize on getting GI
    Bill $$$.

I'm sure you are not like that, however, and have done your due diligence on the place you are going. Good luck and Godspeed!
    Ray I've heard the same thing and I almost mentioned that but held back. My X GF is a nurse at the VA Lajolla and she's mentioned that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Ray I've heard the same thing and I almost mentioned that but held back. My X GF is a nurse at the VA Lajolla and she's mentioned that.
    I don't blame you for not mentioning it. It's one of those ugly little factoids that make you think bad things about people.

I didn't do it
    askibum, I totally understand where you're coming from. Waking up in the morning, dreading going to work definitely means its time for a change. I wholeheartedly support your thinking on changing careers.

I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on your plan. The first thing that came to mind when I read that you were "cold called' by a training school was to be careful. As Ray already mentioned these types of schools are notorious for giving you training that won't get you a job at the end. The career coaches, relationships with companies, etc all sound like the familiar sales pitch that are characteristic of these outfits. I might suggest that you look forward at the types of IT jobs you're interested in and see what education credentials you will need to get hired. Do this independent of what the school says, go out and look at some IT companies and see what they're looking for. If the certification from the training program is what they're looking for then go for it, if not then stay away. You might want to go online and see what people are saying about the particular training program you are considering. The people I know who work in IT went to 4 year universities and got computer science bachelor's degrees. You might want to look into at least community college and see what you can get there.

Of course if you go the CC or University route, it won't match your timeline. You mentioned that you were thinking about becoming an RN. Was it just the time to getting an education that turned you off? I'm hardly one to give advice on this but its my impression that RNs work better hours, get paid a good salary and in general seem happy in their careers. I thought RNs do have advancement potential?

In my opinion, you're plenty young enough to change careers, and even go to school if you choose. Looks like you have the GI bill that will help cover cost of school no matter what. I'll mention it just one more time, take a good hard look at that computer training program and ask yourself if it will get you to were you want to go.

I didn't mean to sound too negative, I just wanted to give you my perspective. Anyhow, there's 0.02 from one of your OC brothers.

And good luck in whatever endeavor you choose!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Yeah, all the best dude. Go for it. I doubt you'll regret it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Don't be afraid of career change. Do be afraid of people who contact you to ask for money. That's exactly what these recruiters are doing. The OCers above who are urging caution are giving you smart advice.

nvphatty
    Atleast this thread has good vibe and positive thinking/ thoughts as opposed to another i won't mention. I know nothing of your field of expertise or IT for that matter but as a people your heart and mind are leading you to a new place and that is exciting.

DFL

I'm about to embark on a new journey

Thanks for the kind words guys! I've definitely done my research on the school. It seems like most complaints from students are because they are trying to get money back for dropping the classes and they can't because the contract they have you sign is pretty strong. I've also spent the weekend looking at available jobs in the area. It seems like most of them want either a college degree, certifications, experience, or a combination of all of them. The fact that I'll be earning the certifications that companies are looking for helps me make my decision easier. I've also talked to my BIL who is in the IT industry and took a similar path I am looking at. He changed career paths in his 30s and went to school to get strictly certifications, he didn't get a degree. He's a VP for a company that investigates and advises on major internet security breaches similar to Target's breach. He said he will do a little digging for me before I sign my life away to see if he finds anything that gives him pause.

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.