If you could relive one part of your life...- Mtbr.com
    High Desert MTBer

If you could relive one part of your life...

As I was laying in the steaming bathtub this morning, soothing the aches from my ride yesterday, I began one of my favorite pastimes: Contemplating my navel.

I pretty much look at the future as being the most exciting part of my life, largely because I have no idea what'll happen, and because as I get older and hopefully wiser, I am better equipped to deal with it.
    Then I thought about what I have done in my life, and whether I would like to relive any part of it?
    As I scrolled back, I kept getting a resounding 'NO!' Sure, I have had some pretty amazing times, as I am sure most of you have too, but knowing what I did then seems to always mess it all up! For instance, it was a great period when I met my ex and we moved into our first house together, and the future was rosy But, eventually we conspired to screw it up, so that period seems a bit sour. All I have done as an adult is a bit meaningless, except when I started to learn more about this Universe. One of the reasons why the future is attractive

Inexorably, I keep getting back to when I was a really young kid living in the English countryside in the very early 60s. I was totally innocent, full of wide-eyed wonder as my horizons expanded exponentially, first by going on walking 'adventures' with my buddy Jonathan, then more so when I started riding my first real bike, and discovered the country lanes and byways of a peaceful England, when all days were sunny
    Everything was amazing then, life had all the promise of a treasure chest gradually opening before me! Nothing seemed impossible...

I could definitely go there again for a bit
    It's all Here. Now.

be1
    the beat goes on
    i play the "what if i had done ..." game alot. sometimes it's about real estate i wish i had bought. sometimes it's about my questionable taste in women.
    You just can't beat the person who never gives up. - B.Ruth

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    when I started riding my first real bike, and discovered...
    This!!!
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    i play the "what if i had done ..." game alot. sometimes it's about real estate i wish i had bought. sometimes it's about my questionable taste in women.
    I don't bother with that any more, what is done is done after all... I was talking more about what period of life was truly amazing
    It's all Here. Now.

Pipe Dreamer
    Hey Rocker, look at our post counts!

Cheers!
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

be1
    the beat goes on
    when i was growing up we had miles of farmland and forests behind my house. it was really great, but i probably appreciate it now more than i did then. we were always up to something.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Hey Rocker, look at our post counts!

Cheers!
    You're 'beating' me! Ow!
    It's all Here. Now.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    when i was growing up we had miles of farmland and forests behind my house. it was really great, but i probably appreciate it now more than i did then. we were always up to something.
    Same here, many a good times spent on trails via bikes, motorcycles and snowmobiles with forests, streams and lakes for boating, fishing, hunting and camping. I look back now and appreciate it so much more now than I did then. I regret not having kids and showing them these great adventures as my parents showed me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I'd be happy for the chance to relive ANY part of my life, but that ain't gonna happen. So,
    " I do not dwell at the temple of regret." -Gene Klein, former owner of the San Diego Chargers.
    Just call me Ray

be1
    the beat goes on
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Same here, many a good times spent on trails via bikes, motorcycles and snowmobiles with forests, streams and lakes for boating, fishing, hunting and camping. I look back now and appreciate it so much more now than I did then. I regret not having kids and showing them these great adventures as my parents showed me.
    dang it. now i'm getting nostalgic. thanks rocker....

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    I'd be happy for the chance to relive ANY part of my life, but that ain't gonna happen. So,
    " I do not dwell at the temple of regret." -Gene Klein, former owner of the San Diego Chargers.
    Oh, I definitely do not regret anything! I am all good, this is just a futile exercise
    It's all Here. Now.

dang it. now i'm getting nostalgic. thanks rocker....
    It all really hit home for me with my dad passing on Christmas Eve. My four siblings in town and ever since many an old photo shared. Which many were of these great adventures, much appreciation from all of us at how they brought us up. Never a lack of something fun to do outdoors.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

be1
    the beat goes on
    It all really hit home for me with my dad passing on Christmas Eve. My four siblings in town and ever since many an old photo shared. Which many were of these great adventures, much appreciation from all of us at how they brought us up. Never a lack of something fun to do outdoors.
    after my father died and my mother couldn't take care of the house they auctioned off the house. it started out as a small house and kept on getting bigger (my dad was an engineer and couldn't keep still). i couldn't go to the auction. just couldn't.

after my father died and my mother couldn't take care of the house they auctioned off the house. it started out as a small house and kept on getting bigger (my dad was an engineer and couldn't keep still). i couldn't go to the auction. just couldn't.
    It’s tough, my mom passed in 2012 and now my dad so my siblings and I are now in the process of selling their house. First all the contents and now the house.

be1
    the beat goes on
    It’s tough, my mom passed in 2012 and now my dad so my siblings and I are now in the process of selling their house. First all the contents and now the house.
    been thru that. tough stuff.

mtbr member
    I'd go back to highschool and rock out with my [email protected] out. I mean I did pretty good but I'd fill the bank of spank till it overflowed.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    been thru that. tough stuff.
    x2 but for my in-laws.

And it's brutal.

I'm super glad that my son came along when I was 21. He made me grow up...fast. In doing so it got me out of a situation where the drugs were getting heavier and the mood was getting darker. He undoubtedly changed my life for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I'd go back to highschool and rock out with my [email protected] out. I mean I did pretty good but I'd fill the bank of spank till it overflowed.

So you’re saying there’s a chance?

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    If I had to go back it would be To when I managed a bike shop. I only Wish I had pictures from inside the bike shop, never thought to take any.

Still my life now is pretty full and awesome. But looking back is still fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something goes here...
    My 20's were awesome. Lots of memories of just hanging with great friends. Then my best friend and I 'hooked up' one night after a party. We've been together ever since...25 years this year. Then we moved from the Midwest to Seattle. While I had always been a biker, I REALLY became a diehard there. Met great riding buddies and we rode 3-4 X's a week. Saturday we always had an adventure somewhere. We'd go someplace new and just get lost so we started calling ourselves FLMB (F'n Lost Mountain Bikers). It was so much fun.

Then at 30 my wife told me she was pregnant...

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder

I find myself enjoying gravel more and more lately...

Beginner
    I am very much a "live in the now" kind of guy. As an adult I've had a lot of really low times, but not as many high times. But the last few years have been really good to me, mostly because all of the work I was doing to dig myself out of the financial holes I dug myself during my low times has finally been paying off. All the same, I know some people (like my wife) look at the bad times with regret and kind of a "I wish I could have done that differently" kind of attitude.

Me, I'm much more optimistic. I feel that all of the decisions I've made, all of the roads I've traveled in my life have all led me to this spot right now, and where I am right now is pretty damned cool. I have nothing in my past worth dwelling on, even the positive stuff (like my childhood, which was as rosy and sunny as the OP's recollection of his own childhood) - it's in the past, where I can do nothing about it, so what's the point?

As for the future, I plan for it and make precautions to protect myself from the pitfalls of my past. And I certainly have goals for my life, and things I wish to accomplish. But I don't look forward to it, I don't wish for it. It'll come eventually, and hopefully it'll be great.

In the meantime, I'm HERE right now, and I'm going to enjoy here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    ^^^^^Now, THAT'S the Spirit!
    Just call me Ray

Retro on Steroids
    Shoot, I wouldn't change a thing, not even the girls who broke my heart. I survived the Army in the '60s, had a world class rock 'n' roll adventure, followed by a world class bicycle adventure. I would be an a$$hole if I complained about the hand life dealt me.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Too many scenarios to choose from, but I think I would choose to go back to early/mid 1990s and happen upon my ex girlfriend (from 2014 - 2017) while on a bicycle ride and, well, things would just sort of happen a couple decades earlier.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by BeginnerToWhistler View Post
    Me, I'm much more optimistic. I feel that all of the decisions I've made, all of the roads I've traveled in my life have all led me to this spot right now, and where I am right now is pretty damned cool. I have nothing in my past worth dwelling on, even the positive stuff (like my childhood, which was as rosy and sunny as the OP's recollection of his own childhood) - it's in the past, where I can do nothing about it, so what's the point?

As for the future, I plan for it and make precautions to protect myself from the pitfalls of my past. And I certainly have goals for my life, and things I wish to accomplish. But I don't look forward to it, I don't wish for it. It'll come eventually, and hopefully it'll be great.

In the meantime, I'm HERE right now, and I'm going to enjoy here.
    You are so right, but it is sometimes nice to try and relive the feeling of those times of innocence and wonder. As I get older, I find myself becoming more like that again! The here and now is absolutely the place to be, and as I said, the future is exciting because we cannot know what it will bring
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    There is only past and future. By the time you're brain processes the sensory input of "now" it's already the past.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    There is only past and future. By the time you're brain processes the sensory input of "now" it's already the past.

Meditation avoids this.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Meditation avoids this.
    Osho and other Zen practitioners realized this ultimate reality in their pursuit of enlightenment.

High Desert MTBer
    As Osho said: "The past is no more and the future is not yet: both are unnecessarily moving in directions which don’t exist. One used to exist, but no longer exists, and one has not even started to exist. The only right person is one who lives moment to moment."
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    “...house used to look so big.....”

Someone wants a Trip to Bountiful.......
    A Good Thing.

mtbr member
    As Osho said: "The past is no more and the future is not yet: both are unnecessarily moving in directions which don’t exist. One used to exist, but no longer exists, and one has not even started to exist. The only right person is one who lives moment to moment."
    I like it! Im an Osho fan, he was an interesting man to say the least. My post #26 was also an Osho quote from his book "Osho on Zen" . Certainly more context and deeper meaning to the quote but fundamentally true nonetheless.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    Shoot, I wouldn't change a thing, not even the girls who broke my heart. I survived the Army in the '60s, had a world class rock 'n' roll adventure, followed by a world class bicycle adventure. I would be an a$$hole if I complained about the hand life dealt me.
    No complaints here either RR, the ups and downs level out in the end, but I was wondering what I might enjoy living again... as I said, a futile exercise
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Anyone of one of my 50 sessions.

mtbr member
    As I get older, I think about this more often (isn’t there a “reflection” thread?) and, ultimately, I conclude: nothing.

I wish I could ski more, bike more, work less...but I love my wife, love my kids, my job is ok...kinda sucky...but not the worst job ever.

Edit: maybe I’d relive those line choices that ended in separations and dislocations, but other than that, I stand by the above!

If I made different choice, I wouldn’t be where I am and I wouldn’t have what I have, so: “nothing” is my answer,

Edit#2: if you’re just talking “relive,” there’s couple of 18”+ powder days at Snowbird, Taos, and Crystal (and some others),that I wish I could relive EVERY DAY...I’d give up bikes to have those everyday.

Something goes here...
    I know this is hypothetical and all but it also really depends on your personal outlook. I fight depression on a daily basis. It's my lot in life and I've come to terms with it. It hit me especially hard when my oldest started high school. You just finally come to terms with immortality, at least I did. It was a rough year and I'm trying to find the silver lining in everything. I'm at a better place than I was 3 years ago so I definitely wouldn't go back there. Live and learn and hopefully grow as a person to the point that you can look back on your life and be happy. I'm trying my best to do that and to force myself to enjoy each and every moment. I have started to drive slower, ride slower, etc. just too enjoy the moment and not let that beautiful sunset pass me by.

Sorry to ramble....the depression thing kicked in.

Let's all go for a ride!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder

I find myself enjoying gravel more and more lately...

No known cure
    I wouldn't change anything. Even a battle with cancer in my late 20s. Its defined who I am and the way I approach life.

There was this one woman. Amazing. I'd never met anyone like her and I let her get away. I dwelled on that for six years until I met the real girl of my dreams.

I have to laugh at life. Just when you thought you've seen it all...I dont even tell my stories anymore because they seem so fantastic and sou d like bullshit. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    Anyone of one of my 50 sessions.
    That leaves the mind wandering. Sessions as in riding a technical section over and over? Sessions as in physiatrist sessions? Sessions as in, well I think you know where I’m going with this.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I wouldn't change anything. Even a battle with cancer in my late 20s. Its defined who I am and the way I approach life.

There was this one woman. Amazing. I'd never met anyone like her and I let her get away. I dwelled on that for six years until I met the real girl of my dreams.

I have to laugh at life. Just when you thought you've seen it all...I dont even tell my stories anymore because they seem so fantastic and sou d like bullshit. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.
    Heheh! I met that girl too! She did things to my 17 year old body that opened my eyes in every sense... I was wrong tho, all she wanted was to capitalize on her 'talents' and she ended up in a relationship with a Lebanese billionaire. Since I had trouble affording my next meal at the time, I was only ever going to be a stepping stone to her private jet, but oh well!
    It's all Here. Now.

No known cure
    Heheh! I met that girl too! She did things to my 17 year old body that opened my eyes in every sense... I was wrong tho, all she wanted was to capitalize on her 'talents' and she ended up in a relationship with a Lebanese billionaire. Since I had trouble affording my next meal at the time, I was only ever going to be a stepping stone to her private jet, but oh well!
    This girl was adventurous and loved to camp, hike, snowboard. Was an excellent cook. I could go on but she checked all the boxes. On a snowboard trip to Mammoth she asked if I'd ever consider getting married. I said no. A year later she was married to someone else. She was in her mid 30s and the clock was ticking.

One ring to mash them all
    Is this about reliving past events exactly as they occurred, or going back and changing the outcomes? Rocker's post #1 tends towards the former.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Is this about reliving past events exactly as they occurred, or going back and changing the outcomes? Rocker's post #1 tends towards the former.
    No, we cannot change outcomes, and as I said, I am all good with that because to be here now is to accept what got us here. Now is good, so why change? Now is a state of mind, not bank balance!
    I am talking about a part of our lives to relive just as it was because it was so pure at the time...
    It's all Here. Now.

Deleted

High Desert MTBer
    Deleted
    Which parts?
    It's all Here. Now.

Which parts?
    My post, all of it apparently.

Cycologist
    It seems like a lot of us think back to our younger adult days. I wonder if that is because our early childhood isn't as well remembered. Little kids can be so full of joy and excitement as they experience new things, and the love of ones parents if one is fortunate (I am).

There are a few episodes with some girlfriends I wouldn't mind reliving (I wouldn't be married at that time so it would be ok, right?)

Also plenty of nights playing in a band in high school and college and hanging out with my friends.

And my wife and I when we met and lived in Japan. And good times with our kids.

What? "One part of your life". Oh, hmm, not sure!
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Sounds like the scenario involves simply reliving an experience or time without being able to change anything or possess one's current level of consciousness (i.e."If I only new then...").

I'd have to say some of those first times engaging in relations, as it were. The mystery and novelty of it all...gall damn. Seeing and touching b**bs and what not...damn, son.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The day my buddy asked me to come sell books online for a little start up company. "No thanks, I like the bike shop job."

No known cure
    I've been thinking. There's a couple times I'd like to go back in time and not have sold some bikes.

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    The day my buddy asked me to come sell books online for a little start up company. "No thanks, I like the bike shop job."
    Ha. Was your buddy's name Jeff?

A guy I went to HS with dropped out of college and got a technician's job at a little startup in San Diego called Qualcomm.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.