"I wish I had said _______!" (the missed comeback thread)- Mtbr.com
    banned

"I wish I had said _______!" (the missed comeback thread)

Ever think about a situation where you wish you had had a better comeback than whatever you spouted off at the time it actually happened? Please share.

Pale Rider
    I wish I had said something else, instead of what I did.

Sister out-law said to my wife that she was thinking about working on the street corner. I said "That's a great career move you'll make less money than what you do now."

I just couldn't disengage my tongue quick enough.
    With my goldfish shorts swimming around my toes.

banned
    I was shopping with my daughters for school supplies Saturday. We were in the section of the store where it was all on display, and my girls were going through the aisles with their lists and bringing stuff back to the cart. Practically no effort needed on my part.

This woman with 2 of her own kids was already there, whining at them, "Come on, it can't take that long to pick out pencils!" "I'm going to leave in one more minute!" Blah blah blah... She looked pretty worn out and frankly, it didn't look like father time had treated her well.

Then she looks over at me standing next to my cart, leaning against a rack, hands in my pockets. "Oh, so the dads just stand there" she said.

"My kids know what they're doing" said I, and she snorted and walked away.

What I wish I had said: "I thought you're supposed to be more patient when they're your grand kids."

Big Red and Barbacoa
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    I was shopping with my daughters for school supplies Saturday. We were in the section of the store where it was all on display, and my girls were going through the aisles with their lists and bringing stuff back to the cart. Practically no effort needed on my part.

This woman with 2 of her own kids was already there, whining at them, "Come on, it can't take that long to pick out pencils!" "I'm going to leave in one more minute!" Blah blah blah... She looked pretty worn out and frankly, it didn't look like father time had treated her well.

Then she looks over at me standing next to my cart, leaning against a rack, hands in my pockets. "Oh, so the dads just stand there" she said.

"My kids know what they're doing" said I, and she snorted and walked away.

What I wish I had said: "I thought you're supposed to be more patient when they're your grand kids."

You're original comeback was awesome but MAN the grand kid one would have been HILARIOUS! For once I can use LOL and mean it literally!
    Bikes, Parks, Dogs, Drums, Food.

Ride More, Work Less
    I can have a rather sharp tongue, particularly when I'm rushed. One day I was at McD's ordering a hot fudge sundae. The clerk asked if I would like nuts with my sundae and get this, I said Yes.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

Pale Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I can have a rather sharp tongue, particularly when I'm rushed. One day I was at McD's ordering a hot fudge sundae. The clerk asked if I would like nuts with my sundae and get this, I said Yes.
    Damn Heyyall, I can't quit laughing that is some funny Sh!t.
    With my goldfish shorts swimming around my toes.

Wait for me!
    Not so much a comeback, but lack of witty stuff to say to girls. I was at lunch with some co-workers my age (30ish) One guy had just gotten a Suunto Core watch over the weekend, the cute waitress noticed it and paid him a compliment. All he had to say was "thanks, durrrr". On the way to the car we discussed the happenings, one guy says "should have told her it stores phone numbers" We all let out a simultaneous "ahhhh schit!!!!"

No Stranger to danger....
    i have the exact oppersite problem, its not what i dont say that i regret its what i do say that i sometimes regret..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....:cool:

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by 1of4Horsemen View Post
    I wish I had said something else, instead of what I did.

Sister out-law said to my wife that she was thinking about working on the street corner. I said "That's a great career move you'll make less money than what you do now."

I just couldn't disengage my tongue quick enough.

that is halarious!

since 4/10/2009
    happens to me all the time. but my memory's so bad that I don't remember those occasions. quick wit needs to be practiced, though.
    Last edited by Harold; 08-21-2012 at 02:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I also tend to engage mouth before brain.

Members who have read this thread: 0