Bro
    Content from my avatar

I like them roadies....

I joined RBR in January -- I think it's been exactly three months since around today. And I now have five chicklets over there, as opposed to my measley ten here, when I've spent so much more time getting my green here than I have there. I think that's unfair. (Insert subtle "gimme green rep" here.)

Anyways, I rode my mountain bike for the first time in a month and a half yesterday. It's currently collegiate road season, so I've spent pretty much all my time on my road bike and my fixed gear. Now I'm questioning why I ever started road biking in the first place -- it's so boring and inane, compared to mountain biking. But yeah, I like the training the road bike gives me. Well, I pretend to like it, anyways....
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Go road racing yet? I haven't done road proper, but criteriums certainly liven things up.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Go road racing yet? I haven't done road proper, but criteriums certainly liven things up.
    Most definitely.

I've spent most of the season practically dying from my asthma, so I think I've only completed one actual race (TTT), but I've started a bunch of races. The only thing is that I'm a Cat 5, so I'm with all the guys who are just starting out on the road. I'm technically just starting to race, but I've been riding recreationally on the road and mountain bikes for a few years. I've noticed that my bike handling skills help me pass/stay on the front a lot more easily. At the last road race, I went from the middle of the pack to the front on a downhill section, and I stayed at the front until we hit a big climb and I couldn't breathe. I was barely even working to stay at the front, too -- that section of the course was this tight, twisty, rolly mountain road.

Oh well. The race this weekend is totally, completely flat. I'm looking forward to it.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Sucks about the asthma. I assume you're doing medication and everything.

I had asthma as a child and young teenager. I don't really have problems with it now, but I do keep an inhaler in my race bag, just in case. Sometimes I have a lot of trouble breathing after a race, although I often don't notice it until I'm done. Lucky timing.

Sounds like you just need to get it all together to get your upgrade points and move up.

REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    why I ever started road biking in the first place -- it's so boring and inane, compared to mountain biking. But yeah, I like the training the road bike gives me. Well, I pretend to like it, anyways....

Why I cant and never will own a road bike (I've owned plenty though) - and they are un-comfortable, way more leaned over than a MTB.

But hey...go for it.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I turned my road bike to a flat bar thing and I'm selling it. I ride that thing maybe twice a year.

BUT, my cyclocross bike rules. You can go anywhere on it - road to singletrack.

I don't ride road because I just hate mixing it up with cars. Road riding is way dangerous from that alone. Never encountered a car on singletrack, though.

they took the bar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I turned my road bike to a flat bar thing and I'm selling it. I ride that thing maybe twice a year.

BUT, my cyclocross bike rules. You can go anywhere on it - road to singletrack.

I don't ride road because I just hate mixing it up with cars. Road riding is way dangerous from that alone. Never encountered a car on singletrack, though.
    +1 on cars. I'm not knocking road bike riding. I just hate dealing with cars. I stick to the trails, canals, and residential side roads (to get to trails).

Beer Me!
    I road ride as well, i wear a kit, i got a fancy 16lb road bike, i kick it in pace lines. I still don't like being called a roadie though. I have hairy legs, a beard, drink beer a lot, don't know my wattage output. So yes, i brows RBR, but have only posted on there 5ish times. MTBR is a bit more... um..... colorfull? spaztic? exciting? lively?

Lone Wolf McQuade
    I did my first official road race last weekend, hairy legs and all. The Tour del Sol in St. George, UT, was a two day, three stage race. I had a blast and learned a lot.

What really caught my attention was how whinnnnnnnnny most roadies are.

I love how that after a mtb race, all you hear is laughter and people asking where the beer tent is

Matt
    I should be out riding....

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    Why I cant and never will own a road bike (I've owned plenty though) - and they are un-comfortable, way more leaned over than a MTB.

But hey...go for it.
    Try one that fits you. I actually have a near-match in riding positions between my XC, CX and commuter bikes, and only a little more lean on my unladen pavement-only bike. They're often set up wrong at the store, and a lot of people insist on setting up their road bikes to look pro, even though they have half the power output of those guys.

they took the bar
    Quote Originally Posted by beagledadi View Post
    I did my first official road race last weekend, hairy legs and all. The Tour del Sol in St. George, UT, was a two day, three stage race. I had a blast and learned a lot.

I love how that after a mtb race, all you hear is laughter and people asking where the beer tent is

Matt
    Exactly! how we MTBer's roll!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

see me rollin, they hatin
    glad i'm not the only one afraid of cars. i'd rather ride sketchy technical single track than ride a skinny tired awkward road bike around cars. I'm more scared of cars!

AZ
    banned
    Cars don't bother me. Most drivers on the other hand.

they took the bar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Especially those texting @$$ clowns!

REALLY?
    Try one that fits you. I actually have a near-match in riding positions between my XC, CX and commuter bikes, and only a little more lean on my unladen pavement-only bike. They're often set up wrong at the store, and a lot of people insist on setting up their road bikes to look pro, even though they have half the power output of those guys.

I've had a couple that fit me, I just don't like them. Keep in mind I have scoliosis and so my back is already hunched over a little bit close to the base of my neck (slight hunch-back).
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I have the same problem.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Fat-tired Roadie
    You're reading me, but you're not. If you still have a road bike, try setting it up by copying your setup from your mountain bike. Same saddle extension. Same distance back from the bottom bracket. Same saddle-bars drop. Less reach, because of the added reach from the drop bars and brake hoods. (This is assuming you ride road bikes on the corners, ramps or brake hoods.)

The only difference should be that your palms are closer together and facing each other, instead of down.

Basically, if you can comfortably and athletically ride a mountain bike, you can comfortably ride a road bike.

Granted I set up most of my road bikes with more drop. But that's a choice, and if I had back problems, I wouldn't do it.

see me rollin, they hatin
    my bigger issue is my wrist. i cant do anything too hunched or i'm putting too much weight on my hands. i have carpal tunnel and weird nerve issues in my hand/wrist. i ride with ergos and it helps, but road bikes have always been a bit of an issue with me. It doesn matter though, i only ride mine once a month or so.

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    I got a fancy 16lb road bike.... I have hairy legs, a beard, drink beer a lot
    With those three attributes maybe you should think about trading in the road bike for a recumbent

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Sucks about the asthma. I assume you're doing medication and everything.

I had asthma as a child and young teenager. I don't really have problems with it now, but I do keep an inhaler in my race bag, just in case. Sometimes I have a lot of trouble breathing after a race, although I often don't notice it until I'm done. Lucky timing.

Sounds like you just need to get it all together to get your upgrade points and move up.
    Yeah, about a month ago I started a gluten-free diet. That really helped, but I still wasn't 100% there during races, so now I'm doing Symbicort a few times a day for long-term control. This weekend will be my first race after doing the Symbicort for about a week, so hopefully it's been helping.

It looks like I'll be able to upgrade on the mountain bike next season though (in the fall). Probably not at the very beginning, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to upgrade midway through the season.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beagledadi View Post

I just shaved for the first time a week ago. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

I think, at least for my collegiate conference, the roadies just take it more seriously than the mountain bikers. Whatever. My team is still the team to head straight for the beer when they finish races.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    my bigger issue is my wrist. i cant do anything too hunched or i'm putting too much weight on my hands. i have carpal tunnel and weird nerve issues in my hand/wrist. i ride with ergos and it helps, but road bikes have always been a bit of an issue with me. It doesn matter though, i only ride mine once a month or so.
    For issues like that, it's almost necessary to build and fit a road bike.

None of my bikes are off-the-shelf for this reason.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I joined RBR in January -- I think it's been exactly three months since around today. And I now have five chicklets over there, as opposed to my measley ten here, when I've spent so much more time getting my green here than I have there. I think that's unfair. (Insert subtle "gimme green rep" here.)
    I joined RBR in June of last year. I have eight chicklets over there, but I will admit that I'm definitely an outcast in the "Lounge". I know I don't fit in over there, and frankly I don't give a damn. I have more in common with the posters in "General Cycling Discussion".

People here in Off Camber have been pretty cool so far.

Now I'm questioning why I ever started road biking in the first place -- it's so boring and inane, compared to mountain biking. But yeah, I like the training the road bike gives me. Well, I pretend to like it, anyways....
    I find flat ground road cycling very boring too. I love road rides in the hills. I love to climb, and I like to haul ass back downhill. That excitement is missing on flat rides.

I refuse to wear a "kit". I don't even own Lycra cycling clothing. I won't wear it. I hate tight clothes. I'd rather ride around in my baggy shorts. I'm convinced that some motorists are more aggressive towards riders in Lycra. I used to wear plain black cycling shorts in the early 90s. I was hit with a yellow paintball, a hard boiled egg, and a crushed can. Since I quit wearing Lycra on the road, I haven't had anything thrown at me (knock on wood!). BTW, that egg hit me in the side of the neck and the can hit me in the small of the back. Both hurt like hell! I had to keep a straight face so the asshats wouldn't get off on making me suffer.

I won't ride my road bike around town. The pavement sucks, the drivers sometimes suck, and it's just not practical for hauling anything but a seat bag. I'll ride my adult trike around town so I can carry stuff, and because it's comfortable. For longer rides, I'll ride my Trek 7000 hybrid.

My road bike is strictly for hill climbing rides out of town.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I've been a member of RBR for years too and haven't really noticed but I doubt of I have a 100 posts there.

I did a lot of road biking when I was on Oahu in mid aughts. But the avg speed here in TX took a big hit. Could average 18 to 20 range there. Here it is 15-17. So mainly I ride MTB here and do several organized centuries on a roadie.

But I am lusting after a Wilier Gran Turismo in all Ultegra with Krysyrium (spelling ?) wheels. Can afford no problem .. just wanting to lose weight. I have a food problem. I will admit weighing 220 in even a 3x roadie jersey looks BAD. Need to be 175 again. Even seriously thought for a while of joining an eater's anonymous group...ugh.

mtbr member
    I like road riding quite a lot. I wear a kit and have some smooth-ass legs, not to mention the monster tan line on the thighs. Road riding just allows me to get into a rhythmic groove that I can't get into when mountain biking because I (obviously) have to pay more attention when on single track.

As far as cars go...well...I won't know I'm dead after I die, will I?

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nenbran View Post
    I like road riding quite a lot. I wear a kit and have some smooth-ass legs, not to mention the monster tan line on the thighs. Road riding just allows me to get into a rhythmic groove that I can't get into when mountain biking because I (obviously) have to pay more attention when on single track.

As far as cars go...well...I won't know I'm dead after I die, will I?
    I like the way you think. The tan lines and the smooth legs are half the good of road riding.

And I remembered why I like to ride a road bike! The racing is always intense. Nothing like zipping along in a 30 MPH paceline while approaching a sweeping right turn with 70 other riders.

Fat-tired Roadie
    LOL, I have two full kits from my current team, and two jerseys (but no shorts) from a previous team. I often wear that stuff mountain biking too, it's how my team talks sponsors into giving us money. My main discipline is cross-country, although I probably go to about the same number of 'cross races most years too. Even without that, I was probably on my way to being done with baggies. They annoy me on the road, and I don't find them to be all that useful on the trail. So, road shorts are fine for both, for me.

I've never owned a pro team kit. If I wasn't on a team (and even since I am, but it's bad enough to buy one of these things a year, they're too expensive ) I'd want this.

Elevengear Cycling Lifestlyle: Saturn V

Yeah, I'm a nerd.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Used to road ride a lot. Actually spent a year or two when the saddle time on the road bike bested that on the mtb (I know, forgive me). Did a few centuries and lots of metric centuries. Last ride on the road was an organized 50 mi ride about 3 years ago when I got 3 flats in the first 10 miles (only had 2 tubes and no patch kit). Hitch hiked back to the truck, drove home and got the mtb and went for a long ride. The road bike has been gathering dust ever since.

mtbr member
    I wear my kit when I'm on the mountain bike too. Baggies get in the way. I did, however, get confused for a girl by some 5 year old kid on the trail today, haha.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    I will admit weighing 220 in even a 3x roadie jersey looks BAD.
    Dude, I'm 225 and wear a XL jersey and bibs in race cut! People say I "look" sub-200 though.

I just got my new team kit for the Sea Otter XC race. Did a training ride yesterday and I believe the kit made me 1% faster.

Like I said, I love my cyclocross bike. Fast on the road, fast on the dirt.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yes on the Cyclocross bike.

I bought it to ride road. I hated it. It made me better, but it is so friggin boring and so friggin stressful just wondering when some dumb ass driver is going to be texting and drift into your lane and wax you.

Even when I am driving I watch people drift into the bike lane ALL THE TIME.

So my cyclocross bike is my grocery getter (sidewalks), and to ride into town to the coffee shop (all light single track) bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0