Sweep the leg!

I feel like I invaded her privacy

I have a teammate who is a pretty damn good writer. It was her birthday the other day so there was the obligatory FB birthday wishes. For her I told her "Happy Birthday! Thank your mom for having you."

The requisite "like" happened by her but today her mom "like" 'ed it too. Having never met her mom I thought I'd see what she was about. Turns out she's a professional writer and professor and has a blog just like her daughter.

With nothing to do today I go to the blog...

The theme is based in her curriculum. It deals with grieving and death, and in her case the loss of her older sister. Initially I was morbidly curious since the sister had died at the hands of a lover during an evening of drugs and group sex.

That changed after I read the 3rd post. She was sharing her deepest feelings. I know it's on a public blog, but she drew me in so deep into her grief I feel like I lost a sister too.

If you want to be a writer, you must stop lying to yourself; drop the fake cheerfulness.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Wēk Ss
    and now I feel like I'm invading yours. I'll just hit the "like" button. Or rather +1.

I think your last quote is true. I'd rather add, if you want to be a serious writer, and not one of those teen vampire novelists.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If they put this stuff on a blog, they're showing off. As an art school grad (not too far from writing you know), most "artists" are all about publicizing their problems and will use whatever weird problem they have to get ahead. Let's just say if I ever see another awful piece of art that is supposed to be important because of the "backstory", it will be too soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I think we must have involuntary empathy of some sort. I've been working on bereavement stuff (work) and after a few days was emotionally wrecked. And I don't even know what it's like to lose someone close. No kidding, I was fighting back tears a few times just working on the jobs.

I would allow someone to grieve in whatever way they feel they need to without my passing judgement. I think catharsis is the major reason blogs exist.

abovegroundMike

Bro Mountainbiker
    I just pooped
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    I just pooped
    Now go write 2000 words about and claim your art/writing degree.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Isn't the goal of a writer to draw you in??

Do you feel the same when you read a book?
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yes, but books can be good.

Sweep the leg!
    Too many writers can't write. It's refreshing to find good writers.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I just pooped
    "Invading her privacy" sounds like an oral sex move that includes some sort of leaping from the wardrobe in a viking outfit.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    "Invading her privacy" sounds like an oral sex move that includes some sort of leaping from the wardrobe in a viking outfit.
    Holy ****! That is exactly, word for word, what I thought to myself as I opened this thread last night!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Sweep the leg!
    I get tired of poor writing. There's too much passive voice and writers with 3rd grade vocabularies.

REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    If they put this stuff on a blog, they're showing off. As an art school grad (not too far from writing you know), most "artists" are all about publicizing their problems and will use whatever weird problem they have to get ahead. Let's just say if I ever see another awful piece of art that is supposed to be important because of the "backstory", it will be too soon.
    I can relate to that, some of my best guitar playing comes after something dreadful/heartbreaking happens in my life.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Holy ****! That is exactly, word for word, what I thought to myself as I opened this thread last night!
    And that's how we make the big bucks. Great minds, my friend. Great minds.

Members who have read this thread: 1