I feel a bit angry.....- Mtbr.com
    Killer b.

I feel a bit angry.....

.... About this.
    I feel a bit angry.....-image.jpg
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

High Desert MTBer
    Yup, that's pretty special!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    it could be worse, you could'v been born that turkey
    Round and round we go

Rabid Lana Fan
    Wow. The prices in New Zealand seem really high compared to the U.S.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    the price of living on an island...
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

mtbr member
    I can't imagine what a size 8 would cost

banned
    Sep 2012
    You eat turkeys tomorrow too? Hmmmm.

EMBA Member
    you call those turkeys? where I live, those would be small chickens.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Size 7 turkey = game hen.

Meatbomb
    I thought New Zealand was upside down, not side ways.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Must be one of those Australian turkeys New Zelanders love so much.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Understater, only a Cuckoo would pay that much for a Turkey so I suggest that you feast upon something else.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Understater, only a Cuckoo would pay that much for a Turkey so I suggest that you feast upon something else.
    I paid close to that for a "organic" turkey.

The only turkeys that cost me more were the ones I shot in turkey season.

Yes, that's right....when I hunt and kill my own, it ends up costing more, and tasting a lot gamier.

BTW, "gamey" is another way of saying "funky"....

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    I paid close to that for a "organic" turkey.

The only turkeys that cost me more were the ones I shot in turkey season.

Yes, that's right....when I hunt and kill my own, it ends up costing more, and tasting a lot gamier.

BTW, "gamey" is another way of saying "funky"....
    Agreed, gamey tastes funky.

mtbr member
    I like gamey turkey. That means I at least went hunting.
    -Dad

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    I like gamey turkey. That means I at least went hunting.
    Well, FB, if I knew that, I'd give you mine.

In California, it is legal to take turkeys with an airgun of .20 caliber or greater. I have a Korean .22 caliber hunting air rifle with a 6 round magazine and a 32X Bushnell Elite 4200 rifle scope. It is such an accurate rifle at out to 100 yards that having a $600 dollar scope on it is entirely justified. It generates around the same muzzle energy as a .22lr round, and it is very quiet and has zero recoil...you can actually watch the pellet hit the target through the scope.....that's pretty cool, IMO. I've literally shot a one-hole, 5 round group at 100 yards with it. Being Korean, the gun was actually much less expense than the optics, but the Koreans make the best barrels for subsonic small caliber shooting in the world, bar none. Even German Lothar-Walther barrels are inferior to the barrel I have on that gun. It also has adjustable power, and for turkeys at under 50 yards I sighted the rifle in on it's 2nd-lowest power setting, driving the 21 grain pellet at just about 950 fps

The reason I'm mentioning this is because the CA F&G law, allowing air rifles in turkey hunting, makes getting a turkey as easy as possible, as long as you have the proper equipment and skill in precision shooting, which I do. I got 2 turkeys on successive years from a friends trailer which was parked in a space up in a trailer park in the local mountains. There are no ordinances in the back country which prohibit shooting a "BB gun" on private property. At least there weren't any a decade or so ago. Only had to freeze my nuts off a little bit, each bird was taken with a single head shot, very safe, very quiet, easy.......but in retrospect still a stupid waste of time/effort and money.

One of my friends is a world-class taxidermist, who specializes in bird taxidermy. Other taxidermists come here to study/watch how he does his work. I could of had at least one of the birds done up by him, but then again, why? The cost is ridiculous for a trophy like that, even with a good-buddy discount.
    Actually, even though he makes a living doing this, my friend has a pretty low opinion of these guys who simply hunt for the "trophies" . Neither one of us can comprehend this, or justify doing it without the meat protein being the major motivator for the hunt.

Recently, I have been boycotting CDFG on account of their re-organizing the department into CDFW, and getting into the trail access issue in a cop-style of involvement. As long as they are doing that, I got even less reason to want a hunting license in CA. If I ever get access to a large deep-freeze again, I'll get a license and a tag for an elk over in AZ. Lots of elk out that way.
    Otherwise, all I got interest in hunting for is the occasional varmint that needs culling. Ground squirrels, coyotes, and such...

Sorry about the rant. They seem to be coming on me more frequently as I get older.

Now, get off my lawn!

Yet even so, I considered "harvesting" my wild turkeys to be a colossal PITA.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Coincidence or not. I have never seen any wild turkeys near my work. This morning as I was pulling in a flock of several were roaming through the parking lot. Apparently trying to avoid being tomorrow's main course.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Coincidence or not. I have never seen any wild turkeys near my work. This morning as I was pulling in a flock of several were roaming through the parking lot. Apparently trying to avoid being tomorrow's main course.
    During turkey season, a lot of turkeys migrate into the nearest State park, where they can't be touched.
    They are pretty smart birds.

During turkey season, a lot of turkeys migrate into the nearest State park, where they can't be touched.
    They are pretty smart birds.
    I agree,

They are extremely smart with vision 20 times better than humans. I've hunted them before and it's pretty hard to fool them.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    hell.... they are over $100 USD for a frozen 13lb turkey here in South Korea and they fly off the shelf at that price.

My company has booked a Thanksgiving dinner for us at a decent local restuarant, Restaurant price is $190 USD for each bird not counting the "fixin's". Makes me kinda of glad to be moving back to the states in January

Killer b.
    Yeah living in NZ can be a bit expensive for sure, but I reckon it's worth it. We can't compete with South Korea for expensive turkey though. Having said that, I reckon that damn bird had about $30 worth of tendons in it. I've never seen anything like it. It must have been a really fast runner.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Understater View Post
    It must have been a really fast runner.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
    Not fast enough apparently...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    tomorrow is my Birthday... that's when the real Holiday begins !

I'm not comprehending Thanksgiving in other countries. Is it because of filthy Americans living there?
    -Dad

A waste of time it is is
    hasn't hit here as a holiday yet.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all

Killer b.

I'm not comprehending Thanksgiving in other countries. Is it because of filthy Americans living there?
    Happy birthday Fishbucket.
    Not a filthy American...... She's rather lovely and the mother of my children. We invited some American friends over too.

banned
    Sep 2010

Most of the filthy Americans are found in America.

Other places simply won't allow them, or kill them on sight.

Happy Thanksgiving, FB.

High Desert MTBer
    I'm gonna keep schtumm on this one... Happy Birthday FB!
    It's all Here. Now.

dwt
    mtbr member

I feel a bit angry.....

the price of living on an island...
    But lamb is probably inexpensive, eh?
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Killer b.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    But lamb is probably inexpensive, eh?
    You'd think that.... but no.

mtbr member
    Happy birthday Fishbucket.
    ............ She's rather lovely and the mother of my children. .

Thank you Sir. and You're Welcome !

Most of the filthy Americans are found in America. .
    I agree, too bad the terrorists cant just take those ones out.

Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Happy Birthday FB!
    Thank you, and being you're schtum, I'll 'Your're Welcome", for you.
    -Dad

dwt
    mtbr member

I feel a bit angry.....

You'd think that.... but no.
    Dang. I'll be in NZ during the Xmas holiday on road bike tour. Was hoping for a lot of leg of lamb, chops & rib racks. Will be eating in restaurants.

PS my wife and I are good yanks, not the filthy sort. Well traveled in Europe, though never been down under. Looking forward to it.

Weird huh?
    Well, FB, if I knew that, I'd give you mine.

In California, it is legal to take turkeys with an airgun of .20 caliber or greater. I have a Korean .22 caliber hunting air rifle with a 6 round magazine and a 32X Bushnell Elite 4200 rifle scope. It is such an accurate rifle at out to 100 yards that having a $600 dollar scope on it is entirely justified. It generates around the same muzzle energy as a .22lr round, and it is very quiet and has zero recoil...you can actually watch the pellet hit the target through the scope.....that's pretty cool, IMO. I've literally shot a one-hole, 5 round group at 100 yards with it. Being Korean, the gun was actually much less expense than the optics, but the Koreans make the best barrels for subsonic small caliber shooting in the world, bar none. Even German Lothar-Walther barrels are inferior to the barrel I have on that gun. It also has adjustable power, and for turkeys at under 50 yards I sighted the rifle in on it's 2nd-lowest power setting, driving the 21 grain pellet at just about 950 fps

The reason I'm mentioning this is because the CA F&G law, allowing air rifles in turkey hunting, makes getting a turkey as easy as possible, as long as you have the proper equipment and skill in precision shooting, which I do. I got 2 turkeys on successive years from a friends trailer which was parked in a space up in a trailer park in the local mountains. There are no ordinances in the back country which prohibit shooting a "BB gun" on private property. At least there weren't any a decade or so ago. Only had to freeze my nuts off a little bit, each bird was taken with a single head shot, very safe, very quiet, easy.......but in retrospect still a stupid waste of time/effort and money.

One of my friends is a world-class taxidermist, who specializes in bird taxidermy. Other taxidermists come here to study/watch how he does his work. I could of had at least one of the birds done up by him, but then again, why? The cost is ridiculous for a trophy like that, even with a good-buddy discount.
    Actually, even though he makes a living doing this, my friend has a pretty low opinion of these guys who simply hunt for the "trophies" . Neither one of us can comprehend this, or justify doing it without the meat protein being the major motivator for the hunt.

Recently, I have been boycotting CDFG on account of their re-organizing the department into CDFW, and getting into the trail access issue in a cop-style of involvement. As long as they are doing that, I got even less reason to want a hunting license in CA. If I ever get access to a large deep-freeze again, I'll get a license and a tag for an elk over in AZ. Lots of elk out that way.
    Otherwise, all I got interest in hunting for is the occasional varmint that needs culling. Ground squirrels, coyotes, and such...

Sorry about the rant. They seem to be coming on me more frequently as I get older.

Now, get off my lawn!

Yet even so, I considered "harvesting" my wild turkeys to be a colossal PITA.
    Ummm, yeah.

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle • 7 points •1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle View Post
    Ummm, yeah.
    I just KNEW somebody would agree with me!

Killer b.
    Dang. I'll be in NZ during the Xmas holiday on road bike tour. Was hoping for a lot of leg of lamb, chops & rib racks. Will be eating in restaurants.

PS my wife and I are good yanks, not the filthy sort. Well traveled in Europe, though never been down under. Looking forward to it.
    Cool.
    I hope you get the chance to hit some dirt while you're here. I'll be in Rotorua between Christmas and New Years. If you're in the area then shoot me a message and I'll take you on the good stuff.
    Re. the lamb.... well, all food is expensive here. Even the local grown stuff. Mainly because the growers would rather export everything.... Oh well... that's what happens when you live in a small economy. Keep saving your pennies though. Our dollar is pretty strong against the USD right now, so your money won't go as far as it once would have.

Interesting that you happily refer to yourself as a Yank.
    When I first met my wife, I emailed my cousin from Virginia who was living here at the time and told her I was dating an American. She emailed back: "Wait, this might not be a good thing. Where's she from?"
    "New Mexico" was my reply.
    "Oh that's okay then. She's not a damn Yankee."
    I kid you not.

dwt
    mtbr member

I feel a bit angry.....

Cool.
    I hope you get the chance to hit some dirt while you're here. I'll be in Rotorua between Christmas and New Years. If you're in the area then shoot me a message and I'll take you on the good stuff.
    Re. the lamb.... well, all food is expensive here. Even the local grown stuff. Mainly because the growers would rather export everything.... Oh well... that's what happens when you live in a small economy. Keep saving your pennies though. Our dollar is pretty strong against the USD right now, so your money won't go as far as it once would have.

Interesting that you happily refer to yourself as a Yank.
    When I first met my wife, I emailed my cousin from Virginia who was living here at the time and told her I was dating an American. She emailed back: "Wait, this might not be a good thing. Where's she from?"
    "New Mexico" was my reply.
    "Oh that's okay then. She's not a damn Yankee."
    I kid you not.

To Europeans and Kiwis , all people from USA are "Yanks" Within the states, people have never recovered from our North-South Civil War. Armed conflict ended a century and 1/2 ago. Cultural / political conflict still persists. The Northerners are Yanks and tend towards liberalism. The Southerners are Confederates who tend toward conservatism
    No love lost between them. Being a northerner, I visualize the bigoted, xenophobic, flag waving southerners
    as being the loudmouthed jingoistic ugly American tourists people in other countries complain about. Unable to just tour without causing conflict.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    To Europeans and Kiwis , all people from USA are "Yanks" Within the states, people have never recovered from our North-South Civil War. Armed conflict ended a century and 1/2 ago. Cultural / political conflict still persists. The Northerners are Yanks and tend towards liberalism. The Southerners are Confederates who tend toward conservatism
    No love lost between them. Being a northerner, I visualize the bigoted, xenophobic, flag waving southerners
    as being the loudmouthed jingoistic ugly American tourists people in other countries complain about. Unable to just tour without causing conflict.
    Wow, say it like you mean it!

banned
    Sep 2010
    Sounds plausible, although I could think of a few New Yorkers that might fit into the "ugly" mold fairly well.

dwt
    mtbr member

I feel a bit angry.....

Sounds plausible, although I could think of a few New Yorkers that might fit into the "ugly" mold fairly well.
    New York City is a cosmopolitan city as great for tourism as any of the world famous: Paris, London, Rome, Munich , etc. It is populated by people born around the globe, meaning the locals are not unfamiliar with people from different cultures speaking every language on the planet. Plus they are used to hosting tourists. It is as-unfair to stereotype New Yorkers as rude and obnoxious as it is Parisians. A few of course fit the bill, but the majority do not. I would have to think the worst American tourists would be Texans, as they have a huge superiority complex due to the size of their state. For "Yanks" they symbolize insularity, xenophobia , racism , far right politics, open carry guns , and religious influence in government. & education.

Of course I'm biased

Fart smeller
    I just KNEW somebody would agree with me!
    Don't agree with you on considering coyotes "varmits", but I don't have much they want.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

banned
    Sep 2010
    New York City is a cosmopolitan city as great for tourism as any of the world famous: Paris, London, Rome, Munich , etc. It is populated by people born around the globe, meaning the locals are not unfamiliar with people from different cultures speaking every language on the planet. Plus they are used to hosting tourists. It is as-unfair to stereotype New Yorkers as rude and obnoxious as it is Parisians. A few of course fit the bill, but the majority do not. I would have to think the worst American tourists would be Texans, as they have a huge superiority complex due to the size of their state. For "Yanks" they symbolize insularity, xenophobia , racism , far right politics, open carry guns , and religious influence in government. & education.

Of course I'm biased
    Knowing IMO, the mindset here on emptybeer I was simply trying to be 'diplomatic'.
    But diplomats are not working out too well in the world at large, so maybe my intentions, as balance-seeking as they may be, are the stuff of that paving on the road to you-know-where.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Everyone knows that So Cal is a huge collection of the most beautiful people in the world. So, what does that make the rest of the people everywhere else???

Everyone knows that So Cal is a huge collection of the most beautiful people in the world. So, what does that make the rest of the people everywhere else???
    Fugly

Killer b.
    real.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Fugly
    Aren't you in Colorado?

GONE
    Nov 2008
    real.
    You may have a point because beauty and brains do not go very well together.

High Desert MTBer
    Unable to afford plastic surgery...
    It's all Here. Now.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Aren't you in Colorado?
    High
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here