mtbr member

The 'I Can't Sleep!!' Thread...

Started a new job a couple of months ago & it involves shift work during the end of the working week o_0

Have had a couple days off with illness. Went back to work yesterday i.e. last day of working week.

Today is first day off & my body thinks yesterday was first nighter & tonight is last one >.<

Half past midnight & I'm wide awake =(

Might go watch some bike pron & have a feed ;-)

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Wanna ride bikes?
    I was made to not sleep. I've mostly come to accept it but it's annoying at times. I don't seem to be negatively impacted by it so whatever, I guess.

Riding helps, but only a little.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Sneaker man
    Yeah I'm a late nighter, not a morning person. Used to for a while (for too long really) worked a job where I worked 5pm-midnight, Mon, Tue Wed, then 6am-3pm Sat, Sun. Add in going to Uni 9-4 Mon-Fri. That pretty much screwed everything up.
    All the gear and no idea.

since 4/10/2009
    Count me as the late nighter type, too. It usually takes me awhile to get going in the mornings. I can adjust myself, but it takes quite awhile. My most recent job had me getting up much earlier than I had for many, many years, so right now, I have less difficulty with mornings. But in the past when I've worked later shifts (especially late retail shifts in the noonish to 10ish range), it's been tough for me. I've never been the sort to continue waking up early and shift my productive hours to before work.

And the 2-3yrs after my cancer diagnosis, I was REALLY bad. I was entirely nonfunctional if I didn't get a minimum of 12hrs of sleep. But I was still in grad school, and I had to get up for the occasional 8am class, and to try to get some consistency, I even imposed 8am office hours onto myself on the other days (of course, maybe only 1 or 2 undergrads ever used my early office hours) to force myself to adapt to a more "normal" schedule, because sleeping until noon or 1pm every day isn't viewed well (no matter that I stayed in the office late to balance it out), regardless of the fact that I spent a year being treated for cancer. Most people don't understand the long term recovery issues involved.

At this point, now, as long as I get 6-8hrs of sleep, I'm fine. I can function at the low end of that (or less) for a few days, but I need to be able to recover after.

Snow Dog
    ever since middle school, I have been a night owl...I go to bed around 3:30am, and get up at 6am for work. It has been that way for 40+ years. I remember when I was young, and I would have a 9 o clock bed time...I would sit in the room and screw around until 2-3 in the morning cause I just could not fall asleep...it has been like that ever since. I actually liked the alone time...I would read, draw, play with my train set, play guitar/bass (no amp)...

I also really really really hate morning...I am not truly functional until after 11am. I always tell my morning classes that " I will be grumpy till 11, so just deal with it"...and it has nothing to do with sleep. On the rare nights that I do get more sleep, I am still grouchy if I have to get up and be in public before 11ish...
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

The White Jeff W
    I work shifts too. Today is my Sunday. Tomorrow I start a 10 day stretch where I flip from days to nights in the middle. I work in a chemical manufacturing plant where concentration and attention to minute details are vital to preventing a catastrophe.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    No moss...

jcd's best friend
    I spent most of my military career working night shift fixing aircraft and pulling 12 hour days. I've found that melatonin works great to help me adjust to a different sleep schedule. These days, I have to take Trazodone to sleep because I have so many aches throughout my body when I go to bed.
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel | Transition Scout

Bikesexual
    I worked 4on 4off for about 7 years working 11p-10am - it was brutal! I now work a more flexible weekday schedule. I prefer to start early and finish early! (when it comes to work)
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Snow Dog
    yeah, my work schedule for the past 25 years has been 7:30am-10pm Mon-Sat except in the summer where I do 9am-9pm on weekdays...I run well on about 4-5 hours of sleep. Anything more than that and I am a zombie all day
    " ...the moonlit swamp Krampus is a king among bikes." - geraldooka

15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!

Professional Crastinator
    I came here hoping one of you insomniacs would spill your guts to ease your guilty conscience.

:disappointed:

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Flat Pluto Society
    Farted around on my computer, came here, read this thread.

Then put my computer on 'sleep'.

Lol

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I was going to start this thread but I fell asleep right in the middle of typing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    I dont stay up too late. 10pm maybe. but I wake up around 3:45-4 am without an alarm. im excited when I get to sleep till 5:30-6am on a weekend. It was not too hard to get used to that work schedule when I changed jobs since I used to get up and ride in the morning while it was still under 100 degrees. only thing that sucks is that I cannot ride in the mornings. I have to work now.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

Flat Pluto Society
    I have a habit of drifting off sometimes when I'm reading th

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Have kids. They'll wear you out and you'll sleep like a baby. Speaking from experience.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by AVL-MTB View Post
    Have kids. They'll wear you out and you'll sleep like a baby. Speaking from experience.
    Wish I could agree, but it has nothing to do with being worn out. I'll do a 6 hour solo race (last one was closer to 7) be completely whipped, and sleep for 3 hours then wake up for no reason and be wide awake.

Likewise on a 24 hour race on a 2 man team. Rode 12 hours total with only a 1 hour nap, and couldn't sleep the next night. I was soar for days, more mentally tired that day than physically from trying to stay focused on technical terrain, but still couldn't sleep the next night.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.