Maaaaan

How Smart is a Cockroach?

I was sitting in a park the other night. I was sitting on a picnic bench butted up against a small stage in downtown Boulder City NV.
    As I was sitting there eating a hamburger, I noticed a cockroach sitting right on the edge of the stage watching me.
    I finished my burger and put the wrapper and other garbage in the bag to throw in the nearest garbage can.
    I got more curious by the minute about my little friend. It was still sitting there looking at me.
    I decided to have dessert so I opened a bag of Peanut M&Ms that I had with me.
    I began to wonder, "just how smart is a cockroach?"
    I decided to toss a yellow M&M just passed the cockroach and see what it would do.
    I tossed a little too far, or so I thought. The M&M went about 8ft.
    That cockroach made an immediate 180 deg turn and with a slight zig-zag went straight to that piece of candy.
    I then watched in amazement as it rolled it's prize away like a Dung Beetle Moving a ball of poo.

It was begging, like a pigeon begs for a french fry at a McDonalds.

I'll never see a cockroach in the same way again.
    Last edited by Ericmopar; 07-16-2012 at 03:03 AM.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member
    Awesome.

But they're also spiteful. I stayed at a friends house many years ago. There was a single roach in the bathroom that refused to sit still for its proper stomping. My friend said just leave it we don't have then here it probably wandered in. I said no way dude....all it takes is one! Well I goto pee and the little bugger is just hanging out by the light fixture above the mirror. I tell him "I'm gonna get you, you little $*&#!
    I leave for a bit unpack my pjs for the night go into the bathroom.... Low and and behold THAT PIECE IF CRAP IS WALKING ON MY TOOTHBRUSH!!!! Just waltzing his little bug butt all over the bristles.
    YUUCCCKKKK. There were 5 toothbrushes in that bathroom. It chose mine. Some toilet paper and vigor and he was dead a few minutes later. But needless to say I was the one who was defeated and learned a lesson that day.

No Stranger to danger....
    cockroaches are very smart, some say the smartest of all insects, they can communicate to each other in a group, and are all round freaks of nature, probably smarter than us humans, no joke..

meow meow
    well they can survive nuclear bombs and we cant so...

Give it a crank
    They're smart enough to post on Facebook day and night.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Any creature that can survive/thrive by relying on a host for all of it's needs, w/o dropping a dime for anything is a real piece of work!
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Any creature that can survive/thrive by relying on a host for all of it's needs, w/o dropping a dime for anything is a real piece of work!
    Sounds like my sister in law.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    So you are saying cockroaches are democrats?

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    No politics here, please.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    Sounds like my sister in law.
    lol, i like that one, hehehe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    Obama supporters anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

~ B A D A S S ~
    I once got chased by a gang of cockroaches, like 3-5 of them (was too afraid to stop and look). I was abroad and when I was drunk I kicked a cardboard box just laying around in the street (stupid move) and BAM out came like, well I won't say hundreds but there had to be at least 40-50 of them, big ones too. A little over an inch.I guess they were having a party. I made evasive manouvers while running but it was futile. I guess they got tired after a while, like 10-15 meters. They are smart enough to be invisible while the sun is up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Members who have read this thread: 0