Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dirt Huffer

How much do you bench press?

I just rocked out 5 reps of 205lbs. I weigh 155lbs and have been lifting for 1.5 years. Not sure if this is good or bad (for my weight) but the time I spend on my bike vs. time spent in the gym... it's like 10 to 1

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I most I've benched is 405lbs. I'm so injured from doing that type of stuff, I'm happy when I can rep 220 nowadays - and even then, it is very painful.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Thats actually not bad at all for your weight. You'd be surprised how many people can't bench their own body weight or even do a correct push-up.

I haven't lifted in months due to a surgery and have been told by my doctor that it would bad for me to put on any more muscle mass since I now only have one kidney. The last time I checked my max on the bench was in feb and it was 305lbs. I weigh 205 lbs.

mtbr member
    My best was 425 raw, 460 with a single ply poly shirt @ 260 pounds. Now, I can still muscle up at least 300, but it's been awhile since I've really tested it out.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

since 4/10/2009
    bench press is not good for me.

Back in high school, I was at 155 and got up to 190, but was limited by the fact that pushing that much weight up pinched a nerve in my right elbow. Hurt like absolute hell. Nowadays, I'm nowhere close to that. I'd be embarrassed to say.

AZ
    banned
    Three clowns.

REALLY?
    I can bench press A LOT less than you (100lbs or less) - I am a skinny Ned Overend type guy.

DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

meow meow
    not sure. i am weak, i go for maitanence over bulk. as long as i can bang off a few sets of pushups i am happy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm weak, but I can do a case of beer
    no problem. And no that is all at once,
    not one beer at a time.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    thats great for your size!

i dont bench a lot but last time about a month ago i think i did like 5 reps at 185 haha but benching hurts for me sometimes so i dont bench a lot

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Does French Press count?

mtbr member
    Ah yes, the lines at the gym for the bench on Mondays, hmmm,

Was up in the 300+ club for a while. Bench press was never my thing and I never wanted a big chest or arms to show off at the beach. To me that's just show off strength and not that usable or practical. Plus I just can't stand the beach house body builder look.
    Squats on the other hand I feel are much more challenging and produce much more usable strength though out the body. At 170 pounds I was up to 400, and even now that I don't dedicate nearly the same amount of time to workouts, and care little to not about max lifts, I still do 1 1/2 times my body weight for 20 reps straight at the beginning of many workouts.

If you wanna improve your bench and ALL over all strength, do squats and dead lifts. And eating right is 60% of the battle, unless of coarse you like to work twice as hard for the same results.
    Last edited by theMeat; 06-11-2012 at 08:08 PM.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    My best was a few reps of 315. At that time I was also full squatting 405 and DLing 495 for reps. That was about 30-35 pounds ago though. I'd be lucky to bench 225 right now. Most of my training off the bike is done with bodyweight exercises. I'm trying to lose the excess upper body size from my lifting days.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    I haven't attempted a bench press in at least 10 years. I injured my rotator cups the last time I did some reps. I think the most I ever pressed in high school was about 165 pounds. I'm not the body builder type but I've always been very active. While the buff guys were spending hours in the gym, I was out hiking the mountains (still climbing the mountains but now on a bike).
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I was training for a max weight comp my goal was 580#. I got up to 470# before I tore my bicep and had to take a 3 month hiatus. Now I just rep 350# until I burn out.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    I can bench press A LOT less than you (100lbs or less) - I am a skinny Ned Overend type guy.

Me too... I'm 170, maxed out at 105 on the bench for a few sets when I was still going to the gym to complement the bike fitness. My max was never much higher than my standard lift over a few sets.

Is that a photo of Ned? I even ride the same bike, from the same era!
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    Me too... I'm 170, maxed out at 105 on the bench for a few sets when I was still going to the gym to complement the bike fitness. My max was never much higher than my standard lift over a few sets.

Is that a photo of Ned? I even ride the same bike, from the same era!
    Yes sir, thats Mr. Ned.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    I never wanted a big chest or arms to show off at the beach. To me that's just show off strength and not that usable or practical.
    I could give you a lengthy list of people that could testify the very opposite of this.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I could give you a lengthy list of people that could testify the very opposite of this.
    Hmm, ok, now I'm curious. Not about what a list of people think, but how that helps your whole body strength or how it's the most usable.
    Round and round we go

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post

Me too, however before I started cycling I was extremely dedicated to lifting weights. I would train 5 days a week for an hour and a half at the gym, and I weighed an outstanding 196 pounds (keep in mind I am 5'7.)

Now I weigh an unbelievable 133 pounds from all the cycling. I am lighter than most Tour De France racers.

I dd what you see there.
    never stacked the `stack` so to speak, but on my weider home gym thingy, I do (i think my plates with the cable pulley thingies works out to 22.5lbs each) 4 plates = 90lbs for 10 reps, then switch to the `peck deck` for 3 plates for 10 reps, then a seated military press, two plates for 10 reps (but I think this station works out to be 25lbs with the cable pulleys), then I walk on the treadmill for 10 mins, then repeat twice more for a total of 3 `circuits`. On the next day I focus on Ab exercises and arms in pretty much the same manner.

Sadly I have to admit, I haven`t done this for almost a month now (too busy), but I plan on starting up again next week now that some things SHOULD be getting back to normal.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

Bro Mountainbiker
    225 was my max back when I lifted a lot. Wasnt my best lift. I weighed 175 at the time.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Afric Pepperbird
    Whatever you do, don't Google image search "weightlifter rectal prolapse".

(unless you really want to)

REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Addict View Post
    Me too, however before I started cycling I was extremely dedicated to lifting weights. I would train 5 days a week for an hour and a half at the gym, and I weighed an outstanding 196 pounds (keep in mind I am 5'7.)

Now I weigh an unbelievable 133 pounds from all the cycling. I am lighter than most Tour De France racers.
    I dont lift sh*t, all my muscle is from riding. ( I weigh between 150-170, I'm 5'11")

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hmm, ok, now I'm curious. Not about what a list of people think, but how that helps your whole body strength or how it's the most usable.
    Absolutely, completely agree with you. I qualified at the California State championships in bodybuilding for the middle class (185lbs @ 3% body fat) and was on my way to being a national competitor, which could've gotten me my pro card.

I was a HUGE gym rat back in the day. I have a ton of experience in the bodybuilding/powerlifting world.

Some years ago I tried my hand at MMA and realized all the best-chest-of-the-west gym stuff does nothing for endurance athletes. Does nothing for mountain biking, in fact it hinders my riding. The bigger you are, the more oxygen you need for those big muscles, the faster you gas out. If you look at all the top MMA heavyweights, none of them look like bodybuilders. Their fast twitch muscles are honed, and they can run miles and miles without gassing.

I do kettle ball excercises, skip rope, roman chair, super fast twitch movements, high reps, and all the other stuff I learned in fighter's conditioning. Nowadays, you will never see me doing pretty boy excercises because they do nothing for mountain biking. Whenever I see the "big boys" walking around, I just kinda laugh. I was one of them in the worst way (well, I'm still over 200), but I would love to take them on one of the local climbs and see how much all that bench press and shoulder press has helped. I think a fighter workout has many more benefits for riding than a bodybuilder's or powerlifter's workout. All my gym time nowadays is to enhance my rides, not hinder them. I believe you could take a wrestler or boxer on a ride and they would do pretty well. Take Mr. Muscle Beach, and he wouldn't survive the first climb.

How do I know this? Because I literally was Mr. Muscle Beach in Santa Cruz and my first mountainbike ride nearly killed me. I thought I was "fit". In the gym, I thought I was the sh|t. My brother, who does not lift weights, kicked my ass and to this day kicks my ass and most the guys he rides with. Little did I know! I thought I looked pretty cool with all those muscles, I looked like a chump slumped over gasping for breath.

mtbr member
    I used to be a cop. I've had quite a few hands on altercations with suspects. Because of the strength I built in the gym, I was able to handle those altercations very quickly and effectively.

Now I also agree with what Dion is saying, being huge and muscular can and often is a hindrance, especially in situations when endurance is needed. I mean I will say honestly my endurance was sht. My flexibility was sht. I got to the point where I was so inflexible and muscle bound, I was uncomfortable.

But the point I was trying to make is that yeah, even though I loved to bench and had the huge chest and arms (56" chest, 21.5" biceps, 17" forearms) aka show-off muscles, I could also put them to good use.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    I'm about 200lb at 6' and can rep my own weight 5-6 times at age 43. I used to be stronger but mainly just train lighter with higher reps twice a week for maintenance these days to stay in shape. I certainly don't have a cyclists physique, or a surfers physique for that matter which is my other passion. A good friend of mine who just does yoga kicks my arse on the trails. Same height but 25lbs lighter. I've done a few mountain bike races coming in around the middle of the pack. I just run out of gas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How much do you bench press?-68722_101919129876845_3788871_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I used to be a cop. I've had quite a few hands on altercations with suspects. Because of the strength I built in the gym, I was able to handle those altercations very quickly and effectively.

Now I also agree with what Dion is saying, being huge and muscular can and often is a hindrance, especially in situations when endurance is needed. I mean I will say honestly my endurance was sht. My flexibility was sht. I got to the point where I was so inflexible and muscle bound, I was uncomfortable.

But the point I was trying to make is that yeah, even though I loved to bench and had the huge chest and arms (56" chest, 21.5" biceps, 17" forearms) aka show-off muscles, I could also put them to good use.
    I was always a "light heavy weight", and realized that being muscle bound was really cramping my riding style. I could almost guarantee that, although you seem to handle yourself quite well, if you got down to a svelte (but naturally big weight), you would be that much better in wrestling down the bad guys.

I live near AKA (American Kickboxing Academy) and a lot of UFC fighters train there. I've met Cain Velasquez a number of times, and he is nowhere near being muscle bound. But... the guy knocks out killer monsters in the ring. Frank Mir is about the same size and will rip a limb off or put you to sleep.

I think us "natural" clydes can learn a lot from fighter conditioning, and really leverage our size. This is a science I've been working on for some time because I've always been a big, strong guy but it's done nothing to help my endurance. At my biggest, I was also inflexible, and gassed out running up stairs - but I sure looked great.

These days, I don't look muscular like I did. I don't have the biceps/chest/shoulders I did back in day. I'm not ripped - but my endurance for a big guy is damn good (not anywhere near where I want to be). I'm strong enough - but it's all geared towards riding better and that's it. My wife met me when I was muscular and sometimes she tells me my "arms are getting skinny", but I can still curl some good weight and best of all - it's all for muscling my singlespeed up technical climbs. The only ones impressed with curling a lot of weight is myself in the mirror and other dudes.

I can skip rope like a boxer, throw tires, sledgehammer for days, etc. I couldn't do that when I was bodybuilding. Best of all - I can wear a roadie kit and not be embarrassed!

mtbr member
    Oh, trust me, I'd love to get down to a natural weight. I would be absolutely ecstatic to weigh in at 215-220. I think after living my life the last 15 years as a big muscular guy, I'd have a complex if I shrunk back down to my previous 160 pounds...lol...but yeah, fighter fitness I think is extremely functional. No matter what, I do want to hang on to a little bit of the arms and chest...haha
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Oh, trust me, I'd love to get down to a natural weight. I would be absolutely ecstatic to weigh in at 215-220. I think after living my life the last 15 years as a big muscular guy, I'd have a complex if I shrunk back down to my previous 160 pounds...lol...but yeah, fighter fitness I think is extremely functional. No matter what, I do want to hang on to a little bit of the arms and chest...haha
    YEAH! That was something I had to contend with, too - the physiological side of being big. My thing was I was tired of being dropped on rides and tired of being slow. In my teen years, I was a quick kid, spinning freestyle BMX tricks for crowds in shows. I love riding, and my goal is to get better.

I switched to a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle (not for weight loss reasons) and I only go to the gym 2x a week at max. I lift fast and light, and concentrate on exercises that specifically target riding. I think of the muscle groups I use (especially single speeding) and have developed exercises that help. Extended climbs kill me on the singlespeed, so I try to hit my max output with upper body stuff and continue through the exercise for as long as I can. I wear my heart rate monitor to see if I can get near 90% of my max and sustain it - just like hammering a climb. Skipping rope works on coordination and speed.

Since then, I've lost 30lbs and don't get dropped like I used to. I don't have to walk hills anymore (except the super steep stuff on my singlespeed - I need to take a break every once in awhile). I don't squat nor dead lift, but my legs are bigger than they ever were when I was doing that stuff.

It's a trade off - become a better cyclist, or let my ego block my goals? Eh, I want to be a better cyclist. I tell my lighter, faster friends: "You want to know how it feels like to be this big and ride? Strap on a 45lb. barbell plate to your back and climb these trails... that's how it's like."
    Last edited by Dion; 06-12-2012 at 08:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanx Dion, and Nubster. You pretty much proved my point for me. Good stuff.

The only thing I can think to add for the OP is that if you do alota chest work, you also do the front delts alot, so if you don't balance that out with some side and rear delt work, you're just asking for rotator cuff problems, either sooner, or later, or both.
    Last edited by theMeat; 06-12-2012 at 10:19 AM.
    Round and round we go

Beer Me!
    In college i was up to 205max with a 160ish frame. Now I am 150lbs with nice solid legs, but a spindly upper body. I wouldn't mind some larger pectorals, but the motivation is lower for the following reasons:

1. I no longer feel the urge to impress the lady's with my shirt off since I now have a sexy wife who rides bikes.
    2. I used to go to the gym mostly to improve my conditioning for rock climbing, but I had a really bad spooky experience that scared me out of the sport, so now I don't have that motivaton.
    3. Time spent at the gym in the spring/summer/fall is time I could be on a bike.
    4. My upper body is ok as SS riding and technical terrain is a bit of an upperbody work out, and I do plenty of curls from drinking beers post ride.
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    i can bench press my 3 year old for literally minutes....

then i say 'RAWR!', fling him on the couch...then run away as he chases me

if you haven't guessed....i'm built like a t-rex...
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I can bench about 10 lbs less than Nicole can.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    YEAH! That was something I had to contend with, too - the physiological side of being big. My thing was I was tired of being dropped on rides and tired of being slow. In my teen years, I was a quick kid, spinning freestyle BMX tricks for crowds in shows. I love riding, and my goal is to get better.

I switched to a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle (not for weight loss reasons) and I only go to the gym 2x a week at max. I lift fast and light, and concentrate on exercises that specifically target riding. I think of the muscle groups I use (especially single speeding) and have developed exercises that help. Extended climbs kill me on the singlespeed, so I try to hit my max output with upper body stuff and continue through the exercise for as long as I can. I wear my heart rate monitor to see if I can get near 90% of my max and sustain it - just like hammering a climb. Skipping rope works on coordination and speed.

Since then, I've lost 30lbs and don't get dropped like I used to. I don't have to walk hills anymore (except the super steep stuff on my singlespeed - I need to take a break every once in awhile). I don't squat nor dead lift, but my legs are bigger than they ever were when I was doing that stuff.

It's a trade off - become a better cyclist, or let my ego block my goals? Eh, I want to be a better cyclist. I tell my lighter, faster friends: "You want to know how it feels like to be this big and ride? Strap on a 45lb. barbell plate to your back and climb these trails... that's how it's like."
    I need a workout partner like you...lol

Do you mind sharing your workout "program"? I need to start working out again, aside from riding and I really would like to drop weight and improve my biking. I am entering my first race next month and I am far from being in shape to be competitive, I'm doing it just for fun and the experience and to see if racing is even for me. But I'd still like to be a better cyclist for myself and for going on group rides. I hate being the slow guy.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Is this a SNL joke?

Bench has always been one of my stronger lifts. Although I haven't done a 1-rep max since high school (275# as a 190# senior), for a while in college I was hitting 365# on my heavy sets (at about 215#), and in what I thought was my best achievement, I could get high 20's in the 225# rep, ala the NFL combine test. Haven't lifted heavy or trained since, but I can still get 10 reps of 225#, even though I often go months at a time without touching a weight.

Power cleans were my best and favorite lift. After a set of 10 of those, I would be pretty gassed. Maxed out at 255# in high school. Definitely works a lot of muscle groups and gets the heart racing. Not a real popular lift in the gym scene nowadays, though.

I actually think bench is a decent lift to work several muscles. You hit your chest, shoulders, and tris. Plus, it works your core a little, especially doing 10+ rep sets with free weights (or even better, dumbbells). Do an incline to get a little more shoulder work. If you don't want to spend time working each individual muscle, just get it all done with a 3x10 bench, mix a 3x10 of seated cable rows or lat pulldowns (back, biceps, rear delts, forearms/hands), you've hit most of your upper body in less than 10 minutes, and go on to do some cardio. Obviously doesn't have much application to biking, but ...
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I need a workout partner like you...lol

Do you mind sharing your workout "program"? I need to start working out again, aside from riding and I really would like to drop weight and improve my biking. I am entering my first race next month and I am far from being in shape to be competitive, I'm doing it just for fun and the experience and to see if racing is even for me. But I'd still like to be a better cyclist for myself and for going on group rides. I hate being the slow guy.
    Yeah!

1. Warm up for two minutes on the treadmill, then run 1 mile at 6.5mph

2. Kettlebell one-arm swings with dumbbell @ 50lbs. for ten reps, rest 30 seconds between sets - 4 sets. The swings need to include a slight squat before throwing the weight. (3:08 in the video)

3. Wedge the barbell into a corner of the room (like you're going to do wedged bent over rows) and do alternating shoulder presses from one shoulder, over the head, to the other shoulder. Don't know what this is called (it's at 2:21 in the video)

4. 3 "rounds" of skipping rope, two minute rounds

5. Unweighted reverse dips - 5 sets of 20

6. Rope tugs on the pulley. Get the triceps rope and pull it to only one side, max out the weight stack (our's goes up to 200) and "tug-o-war" pulling all the way back.

7. 3 "rounds of skipping rope again

8. Improvise. I'll do sledgehammer with a medicine ball, roman chair (for lower back), push-ups to raised blocks, alternating between the ground and the blocks, etc.

I've borrowed a lot from coach Ross Enamait from Your Top Source For Free Boxing Training Advice - This guy's workouts have been what I've found best to use. Not all his stuff would transfer well to cycling, but a lot of it will. He is the king of garage workouts. It's all very compound exercise oriented. Notice - no bench press!

I pretty much do all the things in this video. You sound like me and probably get big from lifting. Key is to back off from the heavy stuff and concentrate on fast movements and resistance training for endurance.

Also, if you're going to be racing, consider "periodization" and build up to a taper. You should've been building a 12 week base fitness, ramp it up around now and v02 max workouts, interval training, etc. then taper off. You want to be recovered, rested and fresh when you race. I cut back on my lifting a LOT 3 weeks before a race. Good luck!

No Stranger to danger....
    lol, with all due respect, wouldnt a better name for this thread be ''how big is your c**k'', some real funny stuff in here, cheers...............

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's L'axeman View Post
    lol, with all due respect, wouldnt a better name for this thread be ''how big is your c**k'', some real funny stuff in here, cheers...............
    I can rep a 40 ounce until its empty...so it's more a question of "how big is your liver"
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    What's so funny about it?
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

What's so funny about it?
    lol, you might just have to read it again, we got a funny sense of humour here in oz, mate there is some real funny stuff n one 24c golden picture in here, i got a real great laugh outa it, no offence intended at all, but its a bloody funny thread, with some even funnier posts in it, its pure gold n i hope it keeps goin, cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    lol, you might just have to read it again, we got a funny sense of humour here in oz, mate there is some real funny stuff n one 24c golden picture in here, i got a real great laugh outa it, no offence intended at all, but its a bloody funny thread, with some even funnier posts in it, its pure gold n i hope it keeps goin, cheers
    Yeah, but how much can you bench?

Aussies bench pork rinds and mustaches while banging dirty waitresses, from what I heard.

mtbr member

Aussies bench pork rinds and mustaches while banging dirty waitresses, from what I heard.
    It doesn't matter Dion cause my c*ck is bigger. They don't call me "theMeat" cause i'm fat..
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Damn.

rebmem rbtm
    Max I've lifted is 286, 1 rep, but was never really into huge amounts of weight. I'm more into doing 10/12 reps with ~200lbs.

LOL, DION, love your sense of humour mate, mate we chase greasy pigs over here, then only have to bench press them as high as the spit they cook on, n its good to always be able to bench press your woman, never know when its gonna come in handy, exp if she decides to attack you while your sleepin, which im no stranger to
    i was an tree lopper for about 10 years, used to lift plenty of big mother logs all day long, n hang outa trees with a big husquavana (is that how you spell it) all day, as long as i could lift a bong every arvo after work, thats all the bench pressin i needed, but given up the bongs n the rest a while back now n feelin bloody great.......
    you dudes just keep rippin those reps of 400lb out, im enjoying readin the blog, cheers

And DION, by the way you heard right bout the pork rinds, mustaches, n dirty waitresses, but tonight ive just had a NT camel burger, ive still got a bit in my handlebar tash right as we speak, you guys eat camel over there, mate its a great meat, bit like lamb, but a bit richer, its not our idea, we stole it from the middle east, but we got millions of introduced wild camel here in the NT, they are bangin em up into burgers n steaks now, its a real super food, get into it when you can, cheers. p.s the younger ones go down better

meow meow
    1 hump or 2?

mtbr member
    I've lifted twice in my life, my max was 235 which I did 5 reps of. That was a couple years ago when I weighed a bit more. The only reason I don't ever actually work out is because I live in the middle of nowhere and don't own any equipment. I heat my house with firewood, so I count cutting, loading, hauling, splitting and stacking wood as my workouts. I have gained some strength in the past couple years as I lost weight and started doing more physical work, however I haven't lifted to see how much stronger I've gotten. I'm right at 6'3" 210lbs right now, my goal is to get under 200 by this fall. Not sure how well that will go because I've somewhat hit a dead spot at 210 after losing some weight over the last year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I've lifted twice in my life, my max was 235 which I did 5 reps of. That was a couple years ago when I weighed a bit more. The only reason I don't ever actually work out is because I live in the middle of nowhere and don't own any equipment. I heat my house with firewood, so I count cutting, loading, hauling, splitting and stacking wood as my workouts. I have gained some strength in the past couple years as I lost weight and started doing more physical work, however I haven't lifted to see how much stronger I've gotten. I'm right at 6'3" 210lbs right now, my goal is to get under 200 by this fall. Not sure how well that will go because I've somewhat hit a dead spot at 210 after losing some weight over the last year.
    When you hit a dead spot (plateau), you need to step up or change training and/or diet to restore progress. Usually happens every 2 months or so for more fit folk.
    It's also a good idea to take a break from training for a week or so every now and then to see better gains long term, and to help avoid plateaus.
    Last edited by theMeat; 06-15-2012 at 10:53 AM.
    Round and round we go

meow meow
    do body weight stuff! no need for machines.

mtbr member
    When you hit a dead spot (plateau), you need to step up or change training and/or diet to restore progress. Usually happens every 2 months or so for more fit folk.
    It's also a good idea to take a break from training for a week or so every now and then to see better gains long term, and to help avoid plateaus.
    I'm familiar with the process. The ironic thing is that I wasn't necessarily aiming to lose weight, my goal was to be healthier. What'dya know, just drinking more water, eating healthier and watching portions (no real extra exercise) lost me 25 pounds over the holiday season/winter. Now that I'm going to start to try to get to 200, I'll be riding and exercising more as well as keeping up my healthy eating habits.

mtbr member
    Actually dude, that is pretty disrespectful. And clearly you have suggested some personal insult as well in your other comments. If you don't like the topic piss off and find something that interests you. Congrats on getting my first neg rep.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dummyrunner View Post
    Actually dude, that is pretty disrespectful. And clearly you have suggested some personal insult as well in your other comments. If you don't like the topic piss off and find something that interests you. Congrats on getting my first neg rep.
    The first is the hardest. After that, they come easy...lol
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    I see there's an growing increase of E-tosterone here...

not sure why though. as far as cycling is concerned it's (for the most part) better to have a smaller upper body...

let's cool it a little....ya buncha weirdos.

Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Whoever created this thread obviously didn't think ahead, Chum. Throw up a topic like personal strength on a cycling forum, it's going to bring the internet bad*ss out in everybody.

see me rollin, they hatin
    in the highschool gym i managed a cool 50 pounds.

First 20 people to request it, get an autographed photo of my throbbing guns!
    fap

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    in the highschool gym i managed a cool 50 pounds.

First 20 people to request it, get an autographed photo of my throbbing buns!
    1. Nubster
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Wow! It's that serious???

On a more positive note, nubster go ahead and add me to that list

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    I see there's an growing increase of E-tosterone here...

not sure why though. as far as cycling is concerned it's (for the most part) better to have a smaller upper body...

let's cool it a little....ya buncha weirdos.

Now that I cycle I would agree. But for some, past and present, lifting heavy was/is a hobby in and of itself. It was what I personally once enjoyed. My path in life has switched directions but I still am affected by my past activities in the weight room. Trust me, right now, as much as I love being muscular, I'd really love to be a lean, mean mountain biking machine.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

see me rollin, they hatin
    feeling generous. Arnold who?
    fap

The need for singlespeed
    I can't push ****. Worked up to 135 at one point, was happy to have the big plates on the bar, and that was as good as it got. Couldn't ever do much more than 15 pushups. I can pull though. Lots of wide grip chinups.

Yanking on the bars of my singlespeed did more for me than all the gym time I wasted.

GDAY DUMMYRUNNER, mate cheers for your neg rep, lol, yes it was always a danger throwin my 2 cents worth in this sort of topic, n doesnt surprise me at all i got plenty from you n others in this one, mate atleast you signed it, i respect you for that, atleast youve got some spine to go with your 6 pack,, cheers, all good bro

AAAH HAHAHAHA DUMMYRUNNER, i just realised you are the dude with the 24c golden picture of you walkin down to the beach with your board, no wonder you gave me abit of neg rep, mate thats the funniest pic ive ever seen on this forum, as i mentioned in my earlier post, champ to put that pic up in a blog about how much do you bench press,mate in oz we got a name for dudes like you, does try hard ring a bell champion, lol. and how bout the avatar with the bike up against your lil red car, mate your a funny funny man, keep up the great work champ, i love your work mate, n i love that pic in this thread even more

mtbr member
    AAAH HAHAHAHA DUMMYRUNNER, i just realised you are the dude with the 24c golden picture of you walkin down to the beach with your board, no wonder you gave me abit of neg rep, mate thats the funniest pic ive ever seen on this forum, as i mentioned in my earlier post, champ to put that pic up in a blog about how much do you bench press,mate in oz we got a name for dudes like you, does try hard ring a bell champion, lol. and how bout the avatar with the bike up against your lil red car, mate your a funny funny man, keep up the great work champ, i love your work mate, n i love that pic in this thread even more
    I've got no more beef with you bro. I said my piece. Yep I love my falcon and my bike. And yep your probably right, on hindsight the pic is a bit cheesy. Tryhard is a bit rough though.
    Also want to say go queensland for the State of O decider. Lived on the GC for 7 years. Peace.
    Apologies to the OP for getting off topic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    do body weight stuff! no need for machines.
    While I agree that body weight exercise are the most productive, most fun, all you need as far as strength training to get into mtb shape, and especially best for someone new to fitness. And machines are the best at isolating movements. While this topic seems to be poked at for fun, and seems a bit too egotistical for most on a mtb forum. Whether you agree with this as a goal or not, and you, I and everyone else is certainly entitled to there opinion, the thread starter wants to know about max bench press so the fact remains that....
    Althou machines, body weight, dumbbells, and especially big whole body exercises like squats should be used and can help big time, the best way to improve your bench press is with a bench press.
    Last edited by theMeat; 06-16-2012 at 11:38 AM.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I bench press my Niner air 9 before and after my rides. It seems to help with arm pump

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I need Snythol in my life.

I've got no more beef with you bro. I said my piece. Yep I love my falcon and my bike. And yep your probably right, on hindsight the pic is a bit cheesy. Tryhard is a bit rough though.
    Also want to say go queensland for the State of O decider. Lived on the GC for 7 years. Peace.
    Apologies to the OP for getting off topic.
    Cheers mate, you sound like a top bloke ( even if you lived in QLD) sorry to take the piss mate, i didnt really mean you are a try hard, far from it, thanks for the reply n sorry for bein a bit of a dick, cheers mate, n peace, your reply is that of a great bloke

and yes OP sorry for gettin off topic, happy days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    feeling generous. Arnold who?
    Nicole you're such a tease. The bicep/tricep not too impressive, but your fore arm extensor muscles look pretty diesel I must say.
    Round and round we go

banned
    Nov 2011
    I need Snythol in my life.

He looks deformed as hell.

mtbr member
    ALL NATURAL BABY!!!!

Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    ^^^^That's fvcking crazy. I can't even imagine how much more difficult every day life would be with arms like that.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    ^^^^That's fvcking crazy. I can't even imagine how much more difficult every day life would be with arms like that.

About as difficult as getting by with his tiny shrunken penis.

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    It would be really difficult sense his arms needed surgery. In which he tried to do himself.

Is not amused
    Never maxed out with 1rep. I think it's a good way to injure yourself doing that. For cycling having too much muscle in the upper area has hurt me. Best I did was 225x15 at 200 in HS. 185x20 at 235 now (I'm working on losing muscle mass and my belly now). Which ever that would max out at. Dropping weight and muscle at the same time is taxing me both mentally and physically. I thought hey lets get fat and lazy after I got out of the military. Went to the gym like I did in HS, went on test boosters and thought I weighed 200-210. About a month ago weighed myself and was at 250, though looked like 200-210. Sense then I've cut down eating to 1200 cals a day sometimes less than that, with Lipo six black and have dropped weight down to 235. Is this the healthy way, hell no.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    These guys with ridiculous arms/chest that look alien are using Synthol. I knew a guy who used to use it before going out to nightclubs = 100 injections throughout his arms. Nasty. Just like the ladies who use that stuff to inflate their lips.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    I had never heard of synthol until you mentioned it dion so I googled it and wow. People do some weird/crazy/stupid stuff in the name of vanity.

mtbr member
    ALL NATURAL BABY!!!!

LMAO,...I'll bet you he ALWAYS needs his "spotter" to wipe his ass!!
    With arms like that,...how could he possibly reach back there!

mtbr member
    Isn't that the guy who's arms blew up, literally.
    Round and round we go

Is not amused
    Yep. Greg Valentino.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o5ivPj1uRjM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    YEah, a complete idiot. Sad part is, yeah, he did roids, but before he got totally stupid and started injecting his arms, he was actually well build from a body builder standpoint. Then I guess he decided he needed a gimmick and viola...now he's a laughing stock, but then again, he's famous and this is America...he has probably cashed in on it in some way.

Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    Yep. Greg Valentino.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o5ivPj1uRjM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Jeez... The rest of him makes his hands look tiny!

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    Jeez... The rest of him makes his hands look tiny!
    This is what happens when you YOLO too hard.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    This is what happens when you YOLO too hard.
    One can never YOLO too hard. You would know that if you were cool enough. Personally, I YOLO 25/7.

But on the serious side of things, that was an interesting video. It put into images and personal stories what you always hear about all those anabolic drugs. The only issue I have with it is the whole premise -- "his arms exploded because he took too many drugs." At least that's what it seemed to me. But really, his arms got fukked up because of infection -- that could happen any time you stick a needle in your body, whether for legal or illegal drugs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just remember you will get old if you are lucky enough. Don't wear your joints out too soon. One needs to remain very active when aging. Older people's health can be good until a worn joint or something puts them down for awhile. They usually never return to their preinjury condition. One is better off with light loading of their joints.and having lot of movement in their choice of exercise. Oh, 30 years ago I could do 235 once. I was 180lbs. God I am old...
    lean forward

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    YEah, a complete idiot. Sad part is, yeah, he did roids, but before he got totally stupid and started injecting his arms, he was actually well build from a body builder standpoint. Then I guess he decided he needed a gimmick and viola...now he's a laughing stock, but then again, he's famous and this is America...he has probably cashed in on it in some way.

Check out Ramblin' Freak in MD magazine, he's still in the bb world.

A lot of idiotic media hype information in this thread regarding workouts and gear all in all. It's pretty funny seeing people repeat what they're read online/seen on the news as fact. Pretty funny though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I weigh right at 165 and max at 305. Once I get to double my body weight ill be happy..

mtbr member
    I just benched a 1977 Nissan Stanza, 200 reps.
    Hey Ma! Look at this laceration.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark! View Post
    Check out Ramblin' Freak in MD magazine, he's still in the bb world.

A lot of idiotic media hype information in this thread regarding workouts and gear all in all. It's pretty funny seeing people repeat what they're read online/seen on the news as fact. Pretty funny though.
    How about you enlighten us then?
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    1RM is 112.5kg/248lb @ 82kg/181lb bodyweight, but bench press is not my best lift at all ( I wish it were better!).

Squat is better for me, with a 1RM of 160kg/353lb @ 80kg/176lb.

Currently doing more riding though & weighed in at 77kg/169lb the other day - I'm wasting away!
    Not really doing much Ridin' or Diggin'

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I havent benched since high school, Id be suprised if I could do my body weight.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

The need for singlespeed
    No worries, bench is a great way to not involve your core.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Best lift ever was 355 at 155 , legal press with a pause and a clap. Best rep set was 8 reps with 315 , no spot , no touch. Now my shoulder will not allow me to flat bench but at 42 years old I still incline fairly heavy 225 ish for a few reps. If you lift heavy as i did for years, you will sooner or later injure the joint and it wont last. Same with my low back due to heavy squat weight

Is not amused

Deadlift gone wrong.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VjEhUbrufKk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VjEhUbrufKk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    I yelled out "OH F*CK!" then started LOL'ing pretty bad. That was AWESOME.

Is not amused
    I yelled out "OH F*CK!" then started LOL'ing pretty bad. That was AWESOME.
    I wasn't sure of how some might react to this. Glad you found it funny at least. Also wasn't sure what was going to happen to him. I've seen some bad outcomes with deadlifting including the ass blow out.

mtbr member
    I've been light headed many times after a max lift. I've also ruptured blood vessels in my eyes and had nose bleeds.

I read a story about a guy that was pulling some ungodly amount of weight and he ripped his esophagus loose.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    At my peak about 20 years ago I 3 repped 2x my body weight. I was 190 at the time.

I did not feel fit. So I put the free weights away and incorporated body weight workouts into my cardio routine. So I probably cannot bench press near what I did 20 years ago, but I feel fitter.

Chamois Dropper
    A few reps of 225,could go a little more, I weigh 150, at 42 yrs old, I don't think its too bad. I cant go too deep though, i have a lot of shoulder problems from motorcycle wrecks. It's a pain in the ass at 42 trying to conserve my body for work (demanding) and mountain biking without overdoing it in the gym.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0