Thread: Hot Hot Hot

better than I deserve

Hot Hot Hot

Hot Sauce ( Hot )
    What is the hottest?
    Hot Sauce lovers share your experiences!

mtbr member
    I think Dave's Insanity was the hottest I have used. I will say that it was more of a (ridiculous) chemical kind of hot, and not a very good flavor. I find that a lot of the "crazy" hot sauces don't have a great taste.

I love my Cholula hot sauce on so many things: Mexican food, of course, but also on eggs/omlettes and other food. Cholula is not that hot, but I really like the savory taste. For Mexican, I also like Valentina hot sauce.

For gumbo, chowder and other seafood stews/bisques where the sauce mixes in I like Tabasco. For putting on top of other foods (pinto beans, eggs if no Cholula, etc.) I prefer a sauce like Louisiana Hot Sauce with a bit less vinegar taste than Tabasco.

better than I deserve
    I tried Dave`s Insanity once.Put the end of a paper clip in it and my tongue was still numb 15 minutes later. Another guy just stuck his finger full of it into his mouth he was running for the bathroom within a minute.

mtbr member
    I put it in a bowl of chili, using the same amount as I would use of Tabasco (a lot). That was sooooo hot. I finished the bowl just on principle,but it tasted horrible!

mtbr member
    By no means that hot, but I am completely addicted to Sriracha. I put it on everything

mtbr member
    Well speaking of Asian spicy sauces, I'm also a big fan of Gochujang. And while I'm on Korean food the spiciest soup I've ever had that still had a good flavor is Teumsae Ramen.

Digging in the pain cave.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post
    By no means that hot, but I am completely addicted to Sriracha. I put it on everything
    Me too.

But the hottest I do is the Ghost Pepper. Just 3-4 drops please. FWIW, this stuff is no joke.

All fat, all the time.
    Not overly hot but I prefer the flavor, franks and tabasco.

Dave's Insanity Sauce Private Reserve is hotter than the regular Dave's. It's also around $30.00 a bottle and comes in a wooden box. I was at a party and my friend had his bottle, loaded my cupped hand up with it, I slurpped it all down. Within five minutes I was vomiting. I love that stuff. I'm a Cholula and Sriracha fan for the other times I need heat and flavor. But damn, I love Dave's. There was a goat farmer in my area that used to make a cheese called Overtemp. It had Jolokia, Habañero and Jalapeño peppers. I would eat it by the spoonful; everyone else who tried it could barely manage a tiny dab without tearing up. Sadly, he went out of business( I swear I was his only customer).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Is not amused
    I've always preferred Southwest Specialty Ass Kickin Wooden Crate. It's not as hot as Dave's but it is up there. Comes in four flavors: Cajun, Original, Wasabi, and Roasted Garlic.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post
    MMM I loves me some Sriracha!

9 lives
    Name:  sriracha.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  19.3 KB

Love this yummy!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    my favorite is Captain Spongefoot Melaguta X sauce. the best.

poser Administrator
    You can brag all you want about tolerance to hot sauce but frankly the thai and mexican variety of peoples can consume food that is outright hotter than anything you might dab on your tongue. I used to work with a lot of your south of the border friends in a restaurant and their snacks regularly consisted of cucumbers doused in tabasco and sprinkled with cayenne powder, they ate jalapneno's and habaneros like I eat apples and ate pickled chile tepins.

The most important factor in any hot sauce is the acidic component, it separates the capsicum from the seeds and then leaves it on your skin when it touches it. Oil helps but only in the presence of acid. Saute a pepper in oil and it will be sort of spicy, add some vinegar to finish and it will rip your face off.

Buy dried peppers from a mexican grocery store, split and dry roast in a pan until toasted. Soak in water with a few drips of vinegar of your choice until soft, then blend and strain. For fun add in habaneros, jalapenos, thai chilis or after straining reblend with the chilis/garlic/etc. Flavor with salt, additional vinegar, white, red, berry whatever, cayenne powder, cumin, etc. Use raw garlic or roasted garlic or pickled garlic. Add pickled capers or pickles.

It is a lot of fun to make your own hot sauces and you can easily match the heat of the commercial ones with a taste that is seriously fresh. Try it at home!
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Retired User
    Franks on Buffalo wings
    Sriracha on anything Asian inspired
    Homemade for anything Mexican inspired, usually starting with chipotles in adobo

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I used to have a few habanero plants in the garden and made my own sauce. You couldn't even breathe while chopping them up. No one could come in the kitchen for hours
    I like Melinda's XXX, not that hot though.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

I <3 dirt
    I just put tapatio on/in everything. It's always my go to hot sauce.

Chubby Chaser
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Name:  sriracha.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  19.3 KB

Love this yummy!
    One of my fav hot sauces, but nowhere near being spicy. My other fav is tabasco. Those just have enough of a kick for you to still taste the food.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I make my own, but when I run out, I reach for Sriracha or a local producer here called Dragon Fart (I sh!t you not). Small batches, great flavor. I also find adding a little sriracha to bbq sauce gives it a great kick! On another(non-mtbing) forum we set up an exchange, sending each other samples of our own homemade hot sauces. Awesome!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    "El Yucateco" - thick habanero sauce with a great smoky flavor; more than adequate heat.

"Sambal Oelek" - ground chili-paste; look for a jar with the rooster-logo (made by Huy Fong Foods - the makers of Sriracha that most are familiar with).

"Thai chili" - whole, lightly seared, served with pad-thai; when mama-san says you should nibble on it before eating the noodles, think of trying to bite the head off a flea.

Weird huh?
    Bad Girls in Heat... Pumpkin Habanero

Attached Images Attached Images  

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle • 7 points •1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

Sweep the leg!
    I use my "forehead sweat-o-meter" to determine hotness. I don't mind a lot of scalp sweat while eating but if the sweat is running into my eyes I have to stop.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Members who have read this thread: 0