mtbr member

Home Charging Stations

Help!
    The family has officially outgrown our electrical charging station area at home. We have 3 smart phones, 4 ipods, a tablet and our laptop all in a central kitchen 'catch-all' area. The phones and tablet need to be charged daily, and it seems that my daughters' ipods (2) need an everyother day charge at a minimum. As can be seen it's a total friggin mess. Does anyone have experience with one of the charging pads that is supposed to charge devices just sitting on them? How 'bout pictures of your multi-device charging area. Thanks!!

P.S. I charge the video camera, point-and-shoot camera, GPS and biking lights somewhere else.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Charging Stations-2012-07-09_17-58-16_855.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    most of the "sit on" ( inductive) charge stations require specific cases, which gets expensive fast. they're generally only a little slower than plugged in.

almost everything i have breaks down to micro usb and ithingi dock. so i keep a couple of each cable ( $1 each cable on ebay) and a 4 port usb charger ( under 10 bux).

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Start kicking people out of the family charging station, make them charge in their own rooms or something lol. Or invest in a bigger power strip and some bread ties to tidy up the cables some.

since 4/10/2009
    crap, that's a mess.

I have one of those wireless charging pads for my Wii remotes. thing is a godsend.

The only other item I own that is compatible with something like that is my ipod touch, so the economies of scale just aren't there to eliminate one charging cord for it. besides, I sometimes use it while it's charging up. my wife and I share the cord for our cell phones, so we only have one cord for it, and we don't have any problems recharging our phones at different times.

the charging stations I do maintain are scattered around the house. I have a USB charging block in the bedroom for the ipods (touch and nano). my Forerunner gets charged at the computer. the wife's uses its own charging block in another room. I have a fancy AA/AAA charger in the office for other recharger duties. the TV remote has its own charger next to the TV. that's all the chargers I can think of right now.

my parents maintain a cluttered community charging location like that posted above...and it's only the two of them.

mtbr member
    I had tried using a 4 port usb hub, but it doesn't work to charge items, so I've bought a 4 port usb hub charger. That should help clean things up a bunch. The problem I am running into is that I have to change out the cables all the time. I think the new hub will solve that issue. I'll report back next week once it arrives...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Wow lol. Id say its time to utilize other outlets. I have my phone plugged in behind my nightstand, my wifes plugged in behind hers, the ipods are plugged into the power strips with our two tv's. Both laptops are plugged in in the office on a shelf.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

Members who have read this thread: 0