~Disc~Golf~

Upset Home Burglarized - Need Tips

So... I got burglarized yesterday. yay for me!

This may be a bit long, so bear with me - (TL;DR below)

I have a "now" ex-best friend, who after a period of the last couple/few years of doing meth and pills, came back around. Cleaned up his act - It did appear that way to me.
    He was basically homeless - and I let him crash on my couch from time to time, fed him, loaned $$, etc. (this was a period of the last few months - January I think?)
    But, he wasn't my 'old friend' I used to know. He'd come over to use my couch/shower - but if I wanted to vent about the day at work I had, he'd say something like, "dood, I don't care about what you do at your job".
    There are similar examples, but I found it disheartening that I was taking in my old 'best friend' - and he was not doing 'friend duty' - that is; hearing me bltch, listen to a story, ...you know - things friends do.
    There were times where I would try to talk to him about it, and he's get defensive - and say how he's just having a rough time and want to argue. One time we (him, my roommate and I) went to play some disc golf. We had a SILLY disagreement, so he kicked both of out of his car - had to walk home. Another tome, another stupid disagreement (both times he was wrong) he got in my face - grabbed my shirt by the neck - like he wanted me to fight. - Other small - un-friend like things happened - but I was still willing to try..

Final straw/s - He came over one night a bit ago and asked to borrow my bike (besides asking for a couch). He needed to go and swap out a phone charger he apparently mistakenly took from someone - give them back theirs and get his own. I reluctantly agreed - under the condition that my custom '87 SS 'Hopper NEVER leave his hands and immediately return.
    Well, 2 hours later he returns (with the bike luckily) telling how he got punched in the face by a biker (MC tweak dealer kind of biker) - he had gone to like 6 different places. I gave him an inch as a test - and he took a yard. It was Done.
    I told him we are through (I know it sound's like a break-up - and in a way, it was.)
    He came back a few times - and I expressed my displeasure about it. Finally, after catching him a couple time staying in a 'tree-fort' on the property, I laid it into him that he are NO LONGER FRIENDS.
    Instead of asking why or apologizing, he got aggressive again, got in my face again (2") - I pull out my phone.
    "Who you gonna call?"
    "The cops, if you don't leave right now" (I was bluffing - I was I hadn't)
    He proceeds to call me every name in the book and how he's got a job now and he's better than I and he's "..gonna come back by later to chin-check your ass".

So I was kinda worried a bit - druggies owing money are unpredictable.

TL;DR

I came home last night and noticed my nephews POS bike I had fixed up w/ new shifters, brakes, cables, etc. was gone.
    I had that 'feeling' in my stomach, that the my rear slider would be unlocked and I nudged it with a knuckle as to not disturb any possible prints - sure enough - OPEN - my door to my room (always closed) OPEN, iPod - Gone, DSLR camera - Gone, some cash... you get the story.
    I found the entry-point; a kitchen window. I left everything alone and called the cops.... and waited... for 3 hours to respond to a burglary. In that time I got easily movable stuff out of my house to my sis'. I'm not sure if this was a grab-n-go or of it's a 'casing' for the Big-Event.

I know the cops ain't gonna do ****, so I need tips.
    He tried to make it look like nothing happened (replacing screen, only stealing 100 out of 500 dollars), so I'm quiet on FB on it, which we are still 'friends', I have his # in my phone, I have a couple looking out for him - and/or trying to find out where he is staying.

Time is definitely of the essence. I need ideas I never thought of to catch this ash-hole

TIA

(and sorry for the long story)

P.S. Craigslist is already covered, but in stuff like this, I don't think it will show up there.

HE STOLE A KID'S BIKE - and he knew it
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I hope you told the cops that you are 99% sure of who did it and told them(if you know) where or how to find him. Change your locks. Get those window blocks. Badger the cops.

mtbr member
    Maybe you should trust the police to do their job, obviously you have a pretty good idea who did this. However, it's a little late to call the popo now. Cops don't like getting the call days later of a criminal act, they are always behind the curve and time only makes it worse. I'd get a big mean ass dog, some security lighting installed around all the dark corners of your house and change the locks. You see this guy again, punch him in the face and tell him you want your stuff back...no not really, but you could check local pawn shops for your gear.

If you spot any of your items ask for management inform them of your property, then call the police immediately, they can put an administrative hold on your stuff as long as you have enough proof it's yours and the pawn shop will have to return it.

Hard lesson learned here, drugs make best friends do stupid $h!t, and you cannot ever trust a junkie.

Next time this guy shows up, inform him he's not welcome and that you will call the police immediately if he does not leave. Then ACTUALLY call the police and report a trespass in progress. Advise them that a suspect who stole from you is currently back on your property. They will show up, he will go to jail, they will search him, they will find drugs, he will get what is deserved...end of happy story...

Sorry for the loss of a friend, sorry for the loss of your property.
    Go see him in jail, give him the # for rehab, then walk away. If he's into meth he will never be the same person, ever.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattcz View Post
    I hope you told the cops that you are 99% sure of who did it and told them(if you know) where or how to find him. Change your locks. Get those window blocks. Badger the cops.
    what on earth does changing the locks do???

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Anytime your home is accessed illegally in any way, you should assume that your entry points are compromised. If you had any spare keys somewhere your ex friend may have them or have given them to someone else.

mtbr member
    Sorry, you don't have to be getting all hostile there haus. You've got a long winded story there. I apologize, I was scanning it nstead of memorizing every detail. You don't have to be angry with people who are just trying to give you some advise. Take a chill pill. Sounds like you have anger issues to work out, try some Lithium and Prozac.

Don't worry won't be back to ur thread.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattcz View Post
    Anytime your home is accessed illegally in any way, you should assume that your entry points are compromised. If you had any spare keys somewhere your ex friend may have them or have given them to someone else.
    I was probably a bit harsh on you - but, no spare keys.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneekeemt View Post
    Sorry, you don't have to be getting all hostile there haus. You've got a long winded story there. I apologize, I was scanning it nstead of memorizing every detail. You don't have to be angry with people who are just trying to give you some advise. Take a chill pill. Sounds like you have anger issues to work out, try some Lithium and Prozac.

Don't worry won't be back to ur thread.
    hey - yeah - anger issues.

Hmmm. I wonder why I may have them at this moment.???

don't be a dick

Oh and P.S.
    The mentioning of me calling the law was in the "TL;DR" segment - not in the 'long-winded story' part - mmm'K?

~Disc~Golf~
    I'm re-posting this to Off-Camber - where the evil bastards hang.
    There, I might some decent responses.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    sorry for your misfortune.Try to take pics for the police.And don't take the law into your own hands, 'delll.
    ..No matter what.
    ...one stradegy:NEVER let your enemy know any moves you make.They can't prepare for the unknown.
    By the way: Years ago something similar happened to me.your buds from the past Change.
    I'll pray now for you. i know you're a nice guy.you made me laugh many times.
    ...But this Sh!t ain't funny worth a dern.
    ...Like I said... don't take the law in your own hands.
    God Bless You.
    ---zarr
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Not much you can do really from how it sounds. Cops came, what did they do when they were there? I assume you gave them the story and suspect info. I would certainly follow up, daily if need be on their investigation and make complaints as needed to supervisors and as high up the chain as you can get if they aren't doing anything for you, especially since you dumped a very good suspect right in to their lap.

Other than that, changing locks (I know you said no spare keys, but it's just one of those things to be suggested to cover the bases), add a deadbolt if there isn't one, making sure windows are secure, maybe an alarm system, even if just a noise maker...might be enough to deter him from doing it again. It sucks, but in all honesty, there isn't a whole lot you can do to protect your home while you're gone short of armed guards or turning it into Ft. Knox or taking care of the "problem".
    Last edited by Nubster; 06-27-2012 at 12:11 AM.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    sorry for your misfortune.Try to take pics for the police.And don't take the law into your own hands, 'delll.
    ..No matter what.
    ...one stradegy:NEVER let your enemy know any moves you make.They can't prepare for the unknown.
    By the way: Years ago something similar happened to me.your buds from the past Change.
    I'll pray now for you. i know you're a nice guy.you made me laugh many times.
    ...But this Sh!t ain't funny worth a dern.
    ...Like I said... don't take the law in your own hands.
    God Bless You.
    ---zarr
    "NEVER let your enemy know any moves you make.They can't prepare for the unknown."
    actively doing that

Law int my own hands? - If shizz goes down right, I'll not only be taking the law in my own hands, I'll be doing their job and hand it to them on a platter - I'm not goin to jail for a fool.

I want to catch this guy and not let him know I know - ya know? - the thing is - to make the bust happen - I need Extraordinary ideas, and extraordinary plans - I'm down w/ that.

mtbr member
    Stake out your own place...catch him in the act, lure him in using fb...post up about some extravagant new toy you got or something.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    check your PMs.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    May 2005
    No worries. My butt hurteth not. You were violated and have every right to be upset about it.

Life Is Short
    You are going have to just write it off as a small loss. Same sh1t happened to me years ago
    when I was still living at home. My childhood buddy (lived across the street) decided he like crack.
    You can see where this is going.

He stole my folk's cash. my mom's jewlery on the dresser, stole all of my CRAFTSMAN tools, left the India and China ones.
    Stole my power tools and sports equipment. Now when you're in high school without a pot to piss in,
    that's your whole world.

This happened more than once. Neighbor across the street said he saw the dude sneaking around in our backyard as well.

Druggies are like alcoholics. They suck and when they go to rehab (like my neighbor did) you still
    can't trust 'em.

Write it off, keep your distance, keep the place locked up. That job he said he got is bullsh1t.
    Druggies lie all the damn time. This guy also was going to friend's homes and telling them I owed him money so in order to square it off, give him the $50 I owe him and I will pay them back. Total liars. Whitney Houston "Crack is wack, I'm too rich to use crack" Sure. Again, you are not alone with this situation. Good luck.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    You are going have to just write it off as a small loss. Same sh1t happened to me years ago
    when I was still living at home. My childhood buddy (lived across the street) decided he like crack.
    You can see where this is going.

He stole my folk's cash. my mom's jewlery on the dresser, stole all of my CRAFTSMAN tools, left the India and China ones.
    Stole my power tools and sports equipment. Now when you're in high school without a pot to piss in,
    that's your whole world.

This happened more than once. Neighbor across the street said he saw the dude sneaking around in our backyard as well.

Druggies are like alcoholics. They suck and when they go to rehab (like my neighbor did) you still
    can't trust 'em.

Write it off, keep your distance, keep the place locked up. That job he said he got is bullsh1t.
    Druggies lie all the damn time. This guy also was going to friend's homes and telling them I owed him money so in order to square it off, give him the $50 I owe him and I will pay them back. Total liars. Whitney Houston "Crack is wack, I'm too rich to use crack" Sure. Again, you are not alone with this situation. Good luck.
    Thanks
    and I know this sounds Bass Ackwards to some of y'all, but this is why we should not only end this 'war on drugs', but make it full-legal.

Crazy-thinkin, I know

mtbr member
    The flawed thinking in that idea though is that even if legalized, drug users will still be addicts and will have habits that cost much more than they can afford and eventually they loose their jobs and then what? They still end up breaking into your house and stealing your sht. Now when I say drugs, I'm not talking about weed, so lets not take my statement as an anti-marijuana slur. I'm talking about actual drugs, coke, crack, heroin, meth, ect.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Highdell. I had a similar situation a couple of thanksgivings ago (yes the dbag robbed my house on thanksgiving). I had let my brother in law and his gf who were having some hard times job wise and money wise and such stay in my guest bedroom. My wife and I have a 3 bed 2 bath house and do awright financially so we USED to not mind helping out a friend or family member in need. I came from work thanksgiving eve to find my front door wide open. Not knowing if anyone was inside or if they had found my handgun (i dont have my carry permit so it was hidden in our bedroom) I called the police. They took about 45 minutes to get there. They stole over $7000 worth of electronics, about $300 in cash, and about $2500 in tools (i used to be a mechanic so i have a pretty exstensive collection of name brand tools).

Anywho to make a long story short, write it off as a loss, hopefully you have some time of renters insurance. If not, its cheap, look into it. Since then ive become really selfish-ish and it takes alot for me to be willing to help anyone out. It hurts and makes you feel incredibly violated when you open yourself up to someone and they abuse it.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

Suckin wind like a boss
    looks like its time to discreetly take the law into your own hands, dell. the "law" has shown you just how much they intend to do.

i would find out where he is hanging out, and take it out of his ass. as in, find the bridge he is living under, and go pay him a visit with a beatdown. you'll never get your stuff back, as i am sure you've already come to grips with. might as well get a little satisfaction, and deliver a stern warning at the same time- to never show up around your house again.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    It won't hurt to hit the pawn shop circuit. He's got to sell that stuff somewhere, although he'll probably sell it on a street corner so's to lessen the chance of getting caught.

Sorry, that's all I got.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    And then the dbag files assault charges, yeah thats a great move. The police arent doing anything because theres nothing really they can do. Unless you can prove he broke into the house and they find him with any of the posessions or catch him pawning it, they are at a loss. About the only thing the cops did for me on mine is they came in and saw stuff like the dustless spot where my hdtv sat, the unused enthernet cable on my desk where my laptop was plugged in, the boxes to my xbox and stuff like that. Put it in his report so the insurance knew I wasnt claiming my $20k rembrandt in the living room just to try and get money.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    looks like its time to discreetly take the law into your own hands, dell. the "law" has shown you just how much they intend to do.

i would find out where he is hanging out, and take it out of his ass. as in, find the bridge he is living under, and go pay him a visit with a beatdown. you'll never get your stuff back, as i am sure you've already come to grips with. might as well get a little satisfaction, and deliver a stern warning at the same time- to never show up around your house again.
    Before things turn into a cop bash...not saying you are, but it's very close to starting in that direction overall, you have to understand, that even though highdell in his heart and mind knows his "friend" is the one that did the burglary, unless police have the evidence beyond just the word of a victim, there isn't much they can do. I mean if they are doing their job and so far no word on whether they are or are not, they will certainly look at this guy very hard. They should be tracking him down, interviewing him, finding out where he is staying, attempt to search the place or get a warrant, hopefully they took finger prints, ect.

Burglaries are hard to solve and make arrests....believe it or not. I know during my time as a deputy sheriff, I'd make an arrest 1 out of probably every 25-30 cases I investigated. And yes, I honestly tried and made an effort to catch the shtball that did the break-in. I live in the same community I served, so all the cases I worked I was doing it for me and my family as much as I was for the victim. That's how I looked at it and that gave me more motivation to do my job and do it properly. That's just how it works out. More often than not, a case ends up just being a report for the insurance company because of lack of evidence and/or suspects. It really sucked and nothing felt worse than leaving a victims home knowing that there was a very high chance I'd not be able to do anything to help, but that's just the way it was. Occasionally even on a case with nothing to go on, there'd be a break.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    , iPod - Gone, DSLR camera - Gone, some cash... you get the story.
    I found the entry-point; a kitchen window. I left everything alone and called the cops.... and waited... for 3 hours to respond to a burglary. In that time I got easily movable stuff out of my house to my sis'. I'm not sure if this was a grab-n-go or of it's a 'casing' for the Big-Event.
    Im in law enforcement.. 3 hours is a typical response time for a busy area where something isnt "in-progress"... there are dozens of higher priority calls which must get higher response times, people killing themselves, killing other people, domestic violence, car crashes, etc....

While there is no proof your buddy committed the crime, there is a pretty good chance he did it. In a couple of weeks go get a copy of the report. See if it has been assigned to a detective yet. Talk to a detective and mention your buddy, saying you have no proof he did it, but he has drug addiction past, has recently been around, and has been acting erratic.

Bicycles, cameras, Ipods all have serial numbers. Serial numbered items can be entered into NCIC (FBI — National Crime Information Center). Having them entered into NCIC allows a Law Enforcement Officer, even 2 years later and 3000 miles away to recover your property. Do your best to get the serial numbers.

With your buddy's name and serial numbers of the items, there is a possibility your local police can search pawn shops for the items.

Here in Florida, we have a state wide Pawn Shop computer log that detectives can search from their desk. Pawn shop brokers are required by law to identify (with a government id) every person that pawns an item, log the description, and take a fingerprint of the person. Its a criminal offense for a pawn broker to skip these steps, and ive seen dealers charged with up to 50 counts at a time. California law might be similar.

Fingerprints... if it was your buddy, fingerprints will basically be useless as he was authorized to be in your house at some point in the past.

Endo King
    Hey HighDell,

I know you don't know me as I'm pretty new around this board. First, it sucks the way things went down, especially after you tried like hell to be a good friend.

It also sucks you've lost your valuables to such a person. So far, you've done an incredible job holding your response to this guy, either verbally or physically.

However, there is one part in your posting where any so called friend would've lost all currency with me and found his azz in the middle of a serious beat down:

"Another tome, another stupid disagreement (both times he was wrong) he got in my face - grabbed my shirt by the neck - like he wanted me to fight."
    And...

"He proceeds to call me every name in the book and how he's got a job now and he's better than I and he's "..gonna come back by later to chin-check your ass".
    That's over the top for me. No one would put their hands on me and still be upright.

That said, I agree with making sure your house, i.e. doors, windows or any other access point is secure, however you have to do that. Be it new locks, window bars, etc. etc. You may even consider a home security service, or camera surveillance system.

I really don't think you've seen the last of him. He seems to think he can punk you so either call his bluff with either a call to the police or you make a born again believer out of him.

Take care man. Hope you get it sorted out.
    "I didn't surrender. They took my horse and made him surrender..."
    -Chief Lone Watie

mtbr member
    A Dog. They bark, they bite, great deterrent.
    Hey Ma! Look at this laceration.

Pale Rider
    Too bad he wasn't a total dumbass like the two guys that got busted near me recently. Rural area and they had backed a pickup truck up to the back porch of a house to steal a grill, engine running. Folks inside heard them, flipped on the porch lights, and Dumbass 1 and Dumbass 2 jump off the porch and run. Hmmm, yeah...

Probably the same dudes that stole my ATV a few nights before from underneath a shed. They pushed it 1/4 mile to the road to load it.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Here is another thought, what if it wasn't him. He could have been in a headlock w/ one of his buddies that he owed money to and rolled over on you. I hate to say it but maybe it's time to cut your losses and move, now that your place is on the radar w/ the tweakers. I know right now you probably didn't want to hear that, but your a target now.

We have a saying here on the north coast......."looks like it's time for a backhoe party".

since 4/10/2009
    reminds me of a situation I became aware of locally.

I live in a college town, so there's a lot of renters and a lot of turnover in rentals.

I found out about this from my wife, who helped blow the case open. client brings a dog into the clinic for a checkup. during the checkup, the technician recognizes the dog from a poster on the bulletin board out front and tells my wife about it. later, they call the people who brought the dog in and tell them about this poster. the people say they got the dog from someone on Craigslist. did the exchange in the walmart parking lot. It got messy because the people didn't want to return the dog, but my wife brought in the police to help negotiate the situation. the dog had a microchip, so there was proof that it was owned by the person who put out the posters.

when the police came by, the people got more cooperative. apparently the person these people got the dog from just so happened to be a former roommate of the person who put out the posters. said person had also stolen a whole bunch of other stuff from the girl who put out the posters, and when the police got enough info between the two people to track this person down...and they wound up finding all of the stolen stuff.

I guess the lesson is to be very careful about who you allow into your house and make sure everything is trackable some way or another. Not sure what kind of ipod it is, but the touches have a feature where you can track them down using your itunes account now. Assuming you've set it up and enabled it.

My wife and I got a security system a year ago...VERY nice. Company called Vivint out of Utah. We got most of the equipment and the install for free. We got a couple extras that we did end up paying for, but it's been worth every penny. Security integrates with the thermostat and can be controlled online. Also has very extensive programming options to reduce power consumption. We also have a light controller that's on a timer, but can also be controlled online. The system also adjusts the temp automatically if it gets warmer than a preset cutoff or colder than a preset cutoff. There are also options for electronic door locks, cameras, and other stuff that can all be controlled online, too. Ours also has a monitored smoke detector, glass break sensor, and motion sensor. It is monitored via cellular signal so thieves cannot disable it by cutting the telephone and/or cable lines outside the house. Every action is logged, and access codes are associated with a name and phone number. Alerts can be sent to those numbers (or not) if a breach occurs. Codes can even be set to expire in a specific amount of time. It's a killer system.

mtbr member
    Not sure how you are with your neighbors, but if you are on any sort of good terms with them, maybe put the word out to them that if they see this guy around your place to call you or the police (yeah, I know, not much faith in them). But at least they can give a statement that they saw the guy, especially if anything like this happens again. The security system idea isn't bad. I know some people that even have fake ones. They have the window decals installed and even some battery powered fake motion detectors in the rooms that can be seen when looking in through the windows. They are installed in obvious places so they are easily seen and have blinking lights to give the impression of a security system. Kinda lame, but it is a certain level of deterrence.

I worked a couple cases where people even had those wildlife cameras setup in their homes or around their property and it grabbed images of the suspects in action.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    May 2004
    1. Assume that he knows you are posting this!

2 ajnd more...PM sent.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    teh drugs iz badd..

sorry for this happening to you...bummer when you trust a friend and try to help them. makes it even harder to deal with..

good luck. lots of good advice on this forum...

if/when your buddy truly cleans up his act, i sense some sort of apology from him...mostly because of his hostile behavior towards you...

I ride with tools
    Since you asked, here's a tip or two. Learn to associate with people of higher quality and better character. Learn to exclude losers and ripoffs from your inner circle. Learn to protect your property.

Learn to HTFU and not whine about your mistakes on the internet.

No. Just No.
    So... I got burglarized yesterday. yay for me!
    Could be worse. Adam Morka could find out where you live.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Sorry to hear about your stuff. Meth is a horrible drug. My younger brother got into that sh1t and it completely ruined his life and his relationship with our family. He broke into our parent's house and our sister's house and stole stuff numerous times. You can bet that your ex-friend will be back. When it comes to scoring some more meth they tend to have a one track mind and he will remember that your place was an easy target that resulted in no concequences. Honestly he needs a severe ass whooping for stealing your stuff and next time he needs money he'll think twice about hitting up your house. He'll never press charges and on the off chance that he does who do you think the police are going to believe? You or a fvcking tweeker?

In the meantime keep your place locked up and let your neighbors know to keep an eye out for him.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    put new bike on porch. attach 220v 30 amp circuit. hilarity ensues.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Could be worse. Adam Morka could find out where you live.
    ha!

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    Since you asked, here's a tip or two. Learn to associate with people of higher quality and better character. Learn to exclude losers and ripoffs from your inner circle. Learn to protect your property.

Learn to HTFU and not whine about your mistakes on the internet.
    wow man - uncalled for.

I do associate myself w/ high quality people - he WAS once one. - Meth and pills totally change your character.
    I did exclude him - that was what made him snap back.

HTFU? - how should I harden up more?
    and what in mt statements did you construe as whining?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post

if/when your buddy truly cleans up his act, i sense some sort of apology from him...mostly because of his hostile behavior towards you...
    You "sense" this? Are you clairvoyant or something? Can you sense my skepticism?

I sense the tweaker friend needs an a$$kicking like others have suggested. If this happened to me I wouldn't ever let the guy near enough to attempt an apology.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    You "sense" this? Are you clairvoyant or something? Can you sense my skepticism?

I sense the tweaker friend needs an a$$kicking like others have suggested. If this happened to me I wouldn't ever let the guy near enough to attempt an apology.
    yeah - apology time is over

There is no going back - I forgave and forgave and forgave.

I think I did my best with this and can sleep at night knowing I'd feel fine blowing off his kneecaps off w/ my 12 or upsiding his head w/ my Slugger - should he enter these premises again

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    Sorry to hear about your stuff. Meth is a horrible drug. My younger brother got into that sh1t and it completely ruined his life and his relationship with our family. He broke into our parent's house and our sister's house and stole stuff numerous times. You can bet that your ex-friend will be back. When it comes to scoring some more meth they tend to have a one track mind and he will remember that your place was an easy target that resulted in no concequences. Honestly he needs a severe ass whooping for stealing your stuff and next time he needs money he'll think twice about hitting up your house. He'll never press charges and on the off chance that he does who do you think the police are going to believe? You or a fvcking tweeker?

In the meantime keep your place locked up and let your neighbors know to keep an eye out for him.
    +1 on all of this, with extra emphasis added to back up my previous comment that some have scoffed at.

let the beatdowns begin.

(although i am still finding it odd that he only took a fraction of the cash- the easiest thing to use, and get rid of, and he didnt take it all...weird, but who knows how the tweeker mind works?)

banned
    (although i am still finding it odd that he only took a fraction of the cash- the easiest thing to use, and get rid of, and he didnt take it all...weird, but who knows how the tweeker mind works?)
    It's his way of saying he still wants to be friends?

AZ
    banned
    Forgive him, don't forget what he did.

mnoutain bkie rdier

that is what the "if" and "when" he cleans up his act is for. crazier things have happened btw...

i guess you would bet your life that he will never come back fully sober to apologize...even in 15 years...

perhaps you are the clairvoyant one?

from what i have witnessed from those around me, one of the most difficult parts of becoming sober is the realization of all the people you have hurt that mattered to you...

after this realization often comes the sincerest apologies ever witnessed on planet earth..

i feel bad for highdell and also for his old pal who has made some bad decisions in life for sure..

"2 Wycked"
    +1 Also, if it was me and it was a "friend" of mine, I would have never called the cops to report it. I would have found him, kicked the ever loving sh*t out of him and then explained to him exactly why this is happening to him so that way if he decided to report the assault to the police he would probably tell them that's why he was assaulted, "because he robbed my house". Then, when the cops showed up I would deny that he robbed my house and that he is a meth addict, which should be pretty obvious just by looking at a meth addict. And then I would deny the assault entirely.

****Individual results may vary****

**Edit** In all seriousness though, legal ramifications or not, if it was a "friend" of mine he would, without a doubt get what's coming to him....physically. Like many here already said, the likelihood of getting your stuff back and him being prosecuted for it is very slim. So, he gets your stuff, dodges prosecution and you have no legal recourse. Sometimes, as immature as this may sound, you need to take matters in your own hands.
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

mtbr member
    That really, really sucks. I'm so sorry.

Not sure if you have an apartment or a house. If you don't already do so, get insurance. I've never had anyone break in, so I don't know how insurance handles theft. You may need to prove that you own items via receipts or other stuff so save them.

Change your locks. Yeah, there might not be a spare key, but it's just safer that way. Let people around you know that your friend is no longer welcome at your place. It sucks to lose a friend, especially one to drugs. You can't change him. He's made that choice on his own. He will be back though begging for more money or for forgiveness or whatever pathetic excuses he comes up with maybe even trying to break in again.

Not sure beating up your buddy is a great idea even if you want to pound the crap out of him and he deserves it. That's your choice. All he needs to do is press charges on you and you end up in jail with a record. There goes any employment when they do background checks. Or you end up in the ER for the night. Drugs change people and you don't know how he'd react if you came over demanding your stuff back. Chances are he's already sold your stuff for drug money and you'll never see it again.

Install some cameras. I know they make software/cameras that you can check on your house/apartment while you are working on your devices. Was watching "World's Wildest Police Videos" and someone had done it. Cops showed up while they were still looting the place.

Hope things improve and everything works out.

I ride with tools
    wow man - uncalled for.
    You asked for tips. I gave you tips. You're welcome, no charge.

HTFU? - how should I harden up more?
    By maybe not giving a parasite access to your possessions.

and what in mt statements did you construe as whining?
    The whole thing.

~Disc~Golf~
    You asked for tips. I gave you tips.
    no, you gave me grief - that's it.

How did I give him 'access' anyhow?
    Left a kitchen window cracked? - that gives him 'access'?
    Get real man.
    The fcukin windows coulda been locked shut, and all you would need is a rock conveniently placed outside by nature and the rear slider is compromised.
    Maybe your next suggestion to that would be full metal roll-downs - like they have for ghetto liquor stores on my house.
    Get off of your damn high horse - and walk yourself out of my thread - goodbye.

(fellow MTBers - yep some are jackasses.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You asked for tips. I gave you tips. You're welcome, no charge.

...By maybe not giving a parasite access to your possessions.

...The whole thing.
    no, you gave me grief - that's it.

How did I give him 'access' anyhow?
    Left a kitchen window cracked? - that gives him 'access'?
    Get real man.
    The fcukin windows coulda been locked shut, and all you would need is a rock conveniently placed outside by nature and the rear slider is compromised.
    Maybe your next suggestion to that would be full metal roll-downs - like they have for ghetto liquor stores on my house.
    Get off of your damn high horse - and walk yourself out of my thread - goodbye.

(fellow MTBers - yep some are jackasses.)
    Highdell,

I think you're really emotionally charged and although Jim Beam is harsh, he does have a point.

I have a soft heart for broken people and I am very trusting, believing that there is goodness in most everybody. My wife has slapped me to reality over the years to not trust A.N.Y.B.O.D.Y. - especially people with problems. Unfortunately, you have been taken advantage of - plain and simple. Life lesson learned to look out for your own well being and say no.

Our doors pretty much remained closed to most. If "friends" want to hang out, we can hang out going to dinner, getting drinks, etc. but not in our sacred home where our most prized and valuable possessions are. We really don't have people over, and for good reason. Although we know most people are good, there can be that one time (like what you've experienced) that you get got. We don't loan money, we don't let people sleep on our couch... these are grown people and have to figure it out themselves. They are not my children.

I'll drive them to a shelter or to a family member's house, but that's the extent of it.

Although Jim Beam is harsh in words - he's right. You've been taken advantage of... it sucks but, as hard as it is to hear, you are somewhat part of the problem. You knew he had a problem, but yet still reached out to help him. You are a good man for doing that, but as you can see, it left you open to become victimized.

Maybe it's time to re-evaluate that soft heart of yours and consider how it has gotten you into trouble. I had to do that and I'm glad I did for the safety of my family.

Drug use is a "no-fly" zone for me - too many potential problems. You should've shut it down a long time ago.

~Disc~Golf~
    ANYways... I did get confirmation that the guy who I thought Burgled my place was in fact the one.

My sis knows this guy who used to be her neighbor a ways back and has a 'thing' for her. (She's a hottie, who wouldn't). Well he went down that same pills/meth path at about the same time my ex friend did - so they naturally became drug-buddies.

My sis ran into him and he volunteered that 'that guy' was bragging about how he ripped me off. (he volunteered easily because - see above)
    OK, I knew that, but nice to know confirmed.

But, something else revealed was that he he thought he was going to be in some trouble; some trouble that he 'may be going down for life' trouble..
    I thought this kind of ...odd?
    What can you do that possibly gets you 'life'...
    I heard this intel Friday.

This news came out later - I know I'm drawing quite a speculative line...

Redding woman found dead Friday in northern Ore.; 25-year-old died from head trauma Redding Record Searchlight
    Mother of Redding woman found dead in Oregon speaks out Redding Record Searchlight

I have arranged today to meet w/ the officer and give him any sketchy leads.

~Disc~Golf~
    Dion, point to me where I was whining?
    And how should I 'HARDEN the fcuk up? (Does one say 'fcuk it' after their best friend got into meth/pills and appeared to make a change for better?)
    If you are in that camp of writing friends off that easily, I'm glad we are not friends.

I took a chance, I got burned - like that has not ever happened to anyone ever.
    I was a 'bigger man' and accepted his short comings - Does that make me weak? A whiner?

You may live your life differently than I, but do not assume you have it 'right' - that goes to JB as well.
    To be forgiving and trusting are apparently virtues lost on some.

I

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Dion, point to me where I was whining?
    And how should I 'HARDEN the fcuk up? (Does one say 'fcuk it' after their best friend got into meth/pills and appeared to make a change for better?)
    If you are in that camp of writing friends off that easily, I'm glad we are not friends.

I took a chance, I got burned - like that has not ever happened to anyone ever.
    I was a 'bigger man' and accepted his short comings - Does that make me weak? A whiner?

You may live your life differently than I, but do not assume you have it 'right' - that goes to JB as well.
    To be forgiving and trusting are apparently virtues lost on some.

I
    I never said you were whining - I actually gave you a compliment saying that your big heart has maybe gotten you into trouble.

Obviously you are emotionally charged over the whole thing that when somebody (me) is gently pointing out something that may be an issue, you lash back at. Sorry for what happened to you man, but if man-to-man friendly advice isn't going to penetrate your emotional attachment to the whole thing - I'll gladly move along.

Like I said, I used to be very trusting, charitable, giving... but I've learned to keep that guarded as not not fall into a situation like you have.

~Disc~Golf~
    well, I guess I'm responding to this; "Although Jim Beam is harsh in words - he's right."
    In that, I took that to mean you were agreeing with him.

Thanks for the rest of your post - which was constructive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    People get killed over a lot less, and this guy sounds misplaced already. I'd be holding myself back from doing something stupid, and you're probably struggling with the same. Take care

fading away
    Once a tweaker, always a tweaker; they never change.
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    'delll, as soon as you smile and enjoy your life...all these things will be behind you.
    Go to church, and ask the man who protects you from any harm that may come your way...he'll tell you what to do.
    ...Very similar to what I'm telling you now.
    Start by appologizing to him for everything you've done wrong.
    Then forgive the man who did these things to you.
    you may have to protect yourself...but first start off by forgiving yourself...and him.
    ...Then do what you have to do.
    Just try to stay out of trouble, OK?
    I heard a song-"let go-let God" on the radio.
    "Let go...and let God".
    Don't let anybody steal your joy.
    You are precious in his eyes.
    Be good.
    ---zarr
    *P.S.-
    now will somebody please get me a box of Kleenex.
    Last edited by zarr; 07-06-2012 at 04:18 AM.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    'delll, as soon as you smile and enjoy your life...all these things will be behind you.
    Go to church, and ask the man who protects you from any harm that may come your way...he'll tell you what to do.
    ...Very similar to what I'm telling you now.
    Start by appologizing to him for everything you've done wrong.
    Then forgive the man who did these things to you.
    you may have to protect yourself...but first start off by forgiving yourself...and him.
    ...Then do what you have to do.
    Just try to stay out of trouble, OK?
    A saying we have is:
    "Let go...and let God".
    Don't let anybody steal your joy.
    You are precious in his eyes.
    Be good.
    ---zarr
    *P.S.-
    now will somebody please get me a box of Kleenex.
    let go and let god? that has AA written all over it. Not that i have a problem with AA- i was a part of it for years- but in dells case it is way beyond that. dude needs his ass kicked plain and simple.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    let go and let god? that has AA written all over it. Not that i have a problem with AA- i was a part of it for years- but in dells case it is way beyond that. dude needs his ass kicked plain and simple.
    I'm sorry...I don't know anything about AA, but I have beheld things that I couldn't explain any other way but to say the results of situations could have only been brought about by power greater than those of human origin.
    ...similar to the world in which we live.
    ...I guess the same one who created it has the power to maintain it too.
    ...Any thoughts?

Let's just hope that peace and happiness prevail ultimately for all.
    Last edited by zarr; 07-05-2012 at 08:40 AM.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Once a tweaker, always a tweaker; they never change.
    Odds are they will not. "Never" is a very long time though..

Members who have read this thread: 0