Holiday Depression/SAD?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2019

Holiday Depression/SAD?

Do you know or encounter anyone who suffers from this? If so, is there anything you can do for them?

since 4/10/2009
    my understanding is that one major component of it is light exposure. particularly reduced real sunlight exposure. as such, full spectrum light bulbs can help. and of course, spending time outside always boosts mood.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I think the best thing you can do for a person is to be supportive and try to encourage them to stay active (not just physically, but socially as much as tolerable) while also not expecting them to act in normative ways or express their gratitude or appreciation in ways that they would if they didn't feel so bad. Don't force people to do things or act disappointed if they don't, though.

My $0.02, not worth much.
    dang

No known cure
    I'm single. Kids are grown and gone, and out of state living their lives. I no longer work and have a lot of idle alone time to think about things. The key for me is to keep busy and stay out of the bars blowing money on beer.

I recently bought a new bike to tinker with. The ski resorts open tomorrow. And next Tuesday, I leave for Europe for a couple weeks, so I'm covered for a while.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    my understanding is that one major component of it is light exposure. particularly reduced real sunlight exposure. as such, full spectrum light bulbs can help. and of course, spending time outside always boosts mood.
    I think full spectrum CBD could help also.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Cycologist
    They say one thing to do is to volunteer. Helping others also helps yourself.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member

Sunshine, activity, friends, good music, and a healthy dose of gratitude.
    This to counter what we all go through.
    There seems to be a correlation with aging that is physiological but I think exercise is a great counter to some of that. I always feel ďupĒ when the oxygen is pumping through my bloodstream....
    Beyond clinical depression, I think learning to change your state of mind is an invaluable skill.

No known cure
    double post
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    How much did they pay you to say that!?!?!
    dang

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Korns on the CBD bandwagon. It cures everything dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Since moving to a more northern latitude I definitely notice a difference in motivation and attitude during the winter months. It seems to get more pronounced year over year and I can feel it coming on. I'm not sure if it's solely chemical/lack of sunlight in my situation though. Living in the Willamette Valley/Portland through the winter kinda sucks for an outdoor enthusiast. It's rainy, windy, cold, and grey...a lot. If that rain were snow and I had access out my backdoor I'm confident I'd be stoked. Instead it's 5-6 months of fighting the urge to sublimate with food and alcohol. I still consider myself fortunate though, I'm mindful of my situation and have the gumption to make healthy decisions.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    How much did they pay you to say that!?!?!
    Haha! I've been taking it on my own, and it helps with some issues I have.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I ain't on no bandwagon, I do what I want!

It's also one of mother nature's oldest medicines, it helps with a lot of things. You should give it a try!

Duck Fonald
    Just a small town girl
    Living in a lonely world
    She took the midnight train
    Going anywhere

Just a city boy
    Born and raised in South Detroit
    He took the midnight train
    Going anywhere...
    "It is what it is."

DJT on US Covid-19 deaths.

mtbr member
    Haha! I've been taking it on my own, and it helps with some issues I have.

It's also one of mother nature's oldest medicines, it helps with a lot of things. You should give it a try!
    Natureís oldest medicines eh. Iím sure itís perfectly legit then.....

I donít have any ailments, thank God. No use for it. My 89 year old father however has very bad back issues in the last two years. Weíve tried everything, last thing and recently was the CBD oil. Heís been on it religiously for 3 months 3 times a day without and sign of change. Not saying itís not good for some things but itís not the cure all for everything as many would lead all to believe.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Bad back?
    Inversion?
    Small slight sessions.....

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Since moving to a more northern latitude I definitely notice a difference in motivation and attitude during the winter months. It seems to get more pronounced year over year and I can feel it coming on. I'm not sure if it's solely chemical/lack of sunlight in my situation though. Living in the Willamette Valley/Portland through the winter kinda sucks for an outdoor enthusiast. It's rainy, windy, cold, and grey...a lot. If that rain were snow and I had access out my backdoor I'm confident I'd be stoked. Instead it's 5-6 months of fighting the urge to sublimate with food and alcohol. I still consider myself fortunate though, I'm mindful of my situation and have the gumption to make healthy decisions.
    I spent lots of time growing up in the southern great lakes region. Rainy, cold, and grey pretty much sums up the winters there pretty well. Occasional snow dumps, but they usually melt in a week and make everything even more gross, because you get to add the gross road grime dirty snow piles in parking lots and roadsides. There's also very little green there in wintertime. It's too far south to get into the northern coniferous forests, and too far north for the southern ones.

It's much sunnier in the wintertime where I live now, and while it's not really that much warmer, it makes a world of difference with how I "feel" mentally. There are way more nice days to get outside through the wintertime. When I lived in the midwest, though, I had to get outside on whatever sunny days I could (and even force myself outside on some of the others). And yeah, high quality indoor lighting helps, albeit only just a little.

I will say that a fireplace definitely helps me with positive "cozy" feelings. I've lived a lot of places where I didn't have one, and the ability to get a fire going and grab a warm drink is super nice when it's gross out.

Of course, all of what I'm saying applies to me and the doldrums that tend to set in with the short days and cold, dreary winter weather that aligns pretty well with the sorts of things that happen with seasonal affective disorder (though I've never dealt with it as badly as some people I know).

I certainly wouldn't put holiday depression in the same category as seasonal affective disorder, though. They're different things.

Pipe Dreamer
    I donít have any ailments, thank God. No use for it. My 89 year old father however has very bad back issues in the last two years. Weíve tried everything, last thing and recently was the CBD oil. Heís been on it religiously for 3 months 3 times a day without and sign of change. Not saying itís not good for some things but itís not the cure all for everything as many would lead all to believe.
    I'm told it helps with things like ADHD.

Not all CBD is created equally. I'm still messing around with it, so I'm not 100% sure of it's effectiveness. I get some really bad pain in certain parts of my body, like in my hips it's so bad it's hard getting out of bed sometimes, and when I've taken it I've had less pain, enough of an improvement that I can function as normal.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Have you never experienced the placebo effect?
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    Bad back?
    Inversion?
    Thanks, but no. Way more complicated, he had a hip replacement followed by a back surgery. Major pain and can not walk without a walker. Past anything really, his spine is collapsing due to age.

I'm told it helps with things like ADHD.

Not all CBD is created equally. I'm still messing around with it, so I'm not 100% sure of it's effectiveness. I get some really bad pain in certain parts of my body, like in my hips it's so bad it's hard getting out of bed sometimes, and when I've taken it I've had less pain, enough of an improvement that I can function as normal.
    Sounds like early onset of arthritis. Hope it isnít, and hopefully the CBD will help you. Iím not against it at all. Just against some pushing it as a cure all for everything. Hey, I live in Colorado, itís been all around me for 7 years. Other parts of the country itís just started to hit in the last two or three.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Bad back?
    Inversion?
    When one is 89 or anywhere thereabouts, care must be taken with inversion, even small slight sessions. The carotids and other cranial arteries could be brittle-like, and often that is due to plaque built up over the decades. You want be sure that does not lead to a "CVA"event. But inversion has done wonders for me, especially in cases of limbo/sacral spasms.

Here in San Diego we have plenty of sunshine year-round, just ask my 66 year old hide. but still, the possibility of SAD is there, due, I think, to the shortened periods of sunshine-to-dark.

And then in comes Holiday Depressive episodes, which can be quite serious in terms of suicide risk, all kinds of serious shit. It's hard for some people, virtually impossible in some cases, for an individual to let go of traumatic and emotionally painful holiday experiences. I used to be like that, and now this year, with "cancer patient" label still stuck on my chart, 'they' are doing their damndest to remind me of it, even though they still can't find one friggin' cancer cell in my body.
    So, I practice what I teach, mindfulness. They learn that first along with traditional taoist foundational isometric standing, they get to where they are shaky, then after a break, they do it again. So, it works for me, and it works for them, too.
    That's one way they and I deal with SAD.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    Have you never experienced the placebo effect?
    Have you ever experienced the THC effect?

Been thinking about getting a SADD light, anyone have any experience?

All fat, all the time.

Sunshine, activity, friends, good music, and a healthy dose of gratitude.
    This to counter what we all go through.
    There seems to be a correlation with aging that is physiological but I think exercise is a great counter to some of that. I always feel ďupĒ when the oxygen is pumping through my bloodstream....
    Beyond clinical depression, I think learning to change your state of mind is an invaluable skill.
    I'd thumbs up you if I could.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    Someone here claims to not partake, hence my reply.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post

Been thinking about getting a SADD light, anyone have any experience?
    They seem to have found that a small amount of thc 'sets off' the cbd, so it's worth a try....

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    The general theme here seems to be the typical "keep your mind busy" but that doesn't work for everybody. Or maybe it does with everybody but me. Does not matter the situation, I can't focus during trying times and anything I should be focusing on is lacking. For instance, I'm too distracted to do my job efficiently when I have heavy thoughts.

As for spending time alone during holiday's, I do feel a bit of it at times but realistically it doesn't bother me. I'd rather be by myself on a holiday, Thanksgiving for example, than go to place that I am not comfortable at. I don't know the family of friends well enough to want to join them for a dinner when they are enjoying their children, etc. It is awkward for me, but I am not awkward on holidays without anybody around.

For me I like to take that time to catch up or do things I enjoy most that may not otherwise have time for.
    Purchased a new truck a week ago. The weekend after purchase I took my time doing a nice wash on it and spending time enjoying the vehicle.
    I like to take a long ride and enjoy it at a relaxed pace. Enjoy the top of the mountain.
    Maybe go for a run, I miss running so those days I tend to zone out and run and enjoy it even more -careless over my running pace but appreciate the quietness and peacefulness of doing something I love.

Take a nice drive.
    I enjoy photography -I take the opportunity to dust off the camera and seek out an enjoyable photo opportunity.

It isn't glamorous by any means. Sometimes stress of a relationship is on-going, but today I get to spend my day doing what I enjoy stress-free without hassle of doing things I may not wish. Being married is different than being in a relationship. By then most things that could cause tension could/should be mostly resolved. Or better ..... accepted. I may not want to go to a friends house of the girlfriend for a big meal. I like the rest of the year but with that group of people, some I'd rather not associate with. No stress to turn down those invitations now.

I've had many family (and in-law family) holidays. I don't have any bad holiday stories at all. Was just discussing today with a co-worker that is expecting drama filled Thanksgiving. I've never experienced that.

After my last breakup I feel like I'd rather be a life-long bachelor. I enjoying companionship and sharing experiences with a woman but I am okay with making my own memories my way too.

Each will identify to a situation in their own way and no way is the wrong way. I embrace who I am and do not have regrets. I try not looking back on life wondering what I could have done differently because I am happy with the person I am. I have good friendships. And am grateful for the career I have.
    Life is good and I am happy I learned who I am so many years ago.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Sounds good, Forest Rider!

Pipe Dreamer
    I used to wonder what it'd take me to find out how I could be happy all the time.

Once I started looking I found my answer.

But I still do get sad on occasion.

well mannered lout
    I get some really bad pain in certain parts of my body, like in my hips it's so bad it's hard getting out of bed sometimes, and when I've taken it I've had less pain, enough of an improvement that I can function as normal.
    Go get that looked at. It's good if you find something that helps with the discomfort, but CBD won't change the reality of what might be going on.
    Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

High Desert MTBer
    I saw the effects of SADD every year in the UK. I felt it too sometimes, but either went down the pub to drown my sorrows, or went on tour and immersed myself in work. Neither one really helped, only masked it, and all too many people do something similar. Helping others is always a good way to feel better inside as Chaz suggested, and moving to the sun is another!
    As for CBD, it works great for me, and if it's a placebo effect, I'll take it! My joint and bone pain from the cancer is minimal now, and the chemo side effects are greatly helped by it too. It is not a cureall, but it sure as shit helps me and a lot of people I know.
    It's all Here. Now.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    The general theme here seems to be the typical "keep your mind busy" but that doesn't work for everybody. Or maybe it does with everybody but me. Does not matter the situation, I can't focus during trying times and anything I should be focusing on is lacking. For instance, I'm too distracted to do my job efficiently when I have heavy thoughts.

As for spending time alone during holiday's, I do feel a bit of it at times but realistically it doesn't bother me. I'd rather be by myself on a holiday, Thanksgiving for example, than go to place that I am not comfortable at. I don't know the family of friends well enough to want to join them for a dinner when they are enjoying their children, etc. It is awkward for me, but I am not awkward on holidays without anybody around.
    I don't think that what you describe in the first paragraph is all that uncommon. Definitely fits the bill when I've got things on my mind.

I also don't think it's bad to want to be alone on a holiday. However there are some folks that are really bad at maintaining relationships and will seemingly go out of their way to be alone on a holiday and then act like nobody cares because they were alone on the holiday. I deal with that every year on both mine and my wife's side of the family, which is why I am grumpy during holidays. Nothing is ever good enough, nobody is ever happy. And all I want to do is go into a food coma and county my lucky stars.
    dang

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    Sounds good, Forest Rider!
    Ditto, lot of parallels there.

mtbr member
    I deal with that every year on both mine and my wife's side of the family, which is why I am grumpy during holidays. Nothing is ever good enough, nobody is ever happy. And all I want to do is go into a food coma and county my lucky stars.
    Dang!

I'm terrible at maintaining relationships, especially long distance ones. I definitely don't put that in anybody else's lap though, I'm cognizant of it and own it. I'm an introvert and require a lot of me/down time to function well. I get the other side of the equation though. Friends, especially friends wives, inviting me over for the holidays multiple upon multiple times in many different ways. I know they mean well but it gets awkward and draining then I just want to avoid them all together. They don't understand I'm actually really looking forward to a day like Forest Rider outlined so well. Maybe I should just send them that lol.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Dang!

I'm terrible at maintaining relationships, especially long distance ones. I definitely don't put that in anybody else's lap though, I'm cognizant of it and own it. I'm an introvert and require a lot of me/down time to function well. I get the other side of the equation though. Friends, especially friends wives, inviting me over for the holidays multiple upon multiple times in many different ways. I know they mean well but it gets awkward and draining then I just want to avoid them all together. They don't understand I'm actually really looking forward to a day like Forest Rider outlined so well. Maybe I should just send them that lol.
    Lol! It's ok to insist you want to be alone. I guess if all else fails, just lie about what you're doing. Alternatively you can go once and make it such a short but somehow awkward and terrible experience for everyone and they'll never invite you again. You know, bike over and insist you're comfortable in cycling kit while everyone else is in normal clothes, eat more food than you should while commenting about similar food you've had that was better, "accidentally" drop a c-bomb in front of kids. They'll never invite you over again.
    dang

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Lol! It's ok to insist you want to be alone. I guess if all else fails, just lie about what you're doing. Alternatively you can go once and make it such a short but somehow awkward and terrible experience for everyone and they'll never invite you again. You know, bike over and insist you're comfortable in cycling kit while everyone else is in normal clothes, eat more food than you should while commenting about similar food you've had that was better, "accidentally" drop a c-bomb in front of kids. They'll never invite you over again.
    Brilliant!

All fat, all the time.
    Lol awesome

9 lives
    Exercise (I mtb and run plus cf at the gym) and taking Vitamin D helps me. Taking 5 to 10 minute walk outdoors during my lunch even in the freezing cold also clears my head. I have worked with patients who have used light therapy with some success. You just can't use the light too late into the day or it could cause some sleeping issues.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Cycologist
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Pretty sure a friend of mine invented that. But hey if works with salt water why not other "stuff".

Pipe Dreamer
    Maybe some holiday music to cheer everybody up?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Exercise (I mtb and run plus cf at the gym) and taking Vitamin D helps me. Taking 5 to 10 minute walk outdoors during my lunch even in the freezing cold also clears my head. I have worked with patients who have used light therapy with some success. You just can't use the light too late into the day or it could cause some sleeping issues.
    For me, the best therapy for seasonal affective disorder is a night out dancing. Lots of exercise and lots of sensory input. Also my favorite form of social interaction.

I think small children instinctively recognize the need for movement. But it is too much movement for the grownups, so they demand that the kids sit still. Especially in school.
    Movement is always to be measured and compared as kids are pushed into sports. For many of the less talented, the affective benefits of exercise are buried under a sea of frustration.
    From childhood bicycling was my refuge from all that. While the sport aspect of it was and is as frustrating as any other sport for me, it was possible to ignore that and just ride alone,
    just flow through nature on dirt roads that nobody else seemed to know about. I still do pretty much that, though the trails around here see quite a bit more use.

It's not enough though, I still need to dance.

Brilliant!
    Iíll have to try that some time.

And Korn, now I see where your off the wall vitamin D comment came from in the animal thread. Doh! Glad Iím up to speed now.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post

For me I like to take that time to catch up or do things I enjoy most that may not otherwise have time for.
    Purchased a new truck a week ago. The weekend after purchase I took my time doing a nice wash on it and spending time enjoying the vehicle.
    I like to take a long ride and enjoy it at a relaxed pace. Enjoy the top of the mountain.
    Maybe go for a run, I miss running so those days I tend to zone out and run and enjoy it even more -careless over my running pace but appreciate the quietness and peacefulness of doing something I love.

Take a nice drive.
    I enjoy photography -I take the opportunity to dust off the camera and seek out an enjoyable photo opportunity.

It isn't glamorous by any means. Sometimes stress of a relationship is on-going, but today I get to spend my day doing what I enjoy stress-free without hassle of doing things I may not wish. Being married is different than being in a relationship. By then most things that could cause tension could/should be mostly resolved. Or better ..... accepted. I may not want to go to a friends house of the girlfriend for a big meal. I like the rest of the year but with that group of people, some I'd rather not associate with. No stress to turn down those invitations now.

I've had many family (and in-law family) holidays. I don't have any bad holiday stories at all. Was just discussing today with a co-worker that is expecting drama filled Thanksgiving. I've never experienced that.

After my last breakup I feel like I'd rather be a life-long bachelor. I enjoying companionship and sharing experiences with a woman but I am okay with making my own memories my way too.

Each will identify to a situation in their own way and no way is the wrong way. I embrace who I am and do not have regrets. I try not looking back on life wondering what I could have done differently because I am happy with the person I am. I have good friendships. And am grateful for the career I have.
    Life is good and I am happy I learned who I am so many years ago.
    Awesome post, sounds a lot like me.

high pivot witchcraft
    I have never been diagnosed with this but each successive year, the winter and Christmas season get tougher and tougher. This year is going to be the worst one yet. I am starting to become a little concerned.

I need to come up with a gameplan.

I don't enjoy spending time with my GF's family. I think I am going to work straight through the holidays. Hopefully if I keep biking and lifting hard that will ward off any depression.

The day I can no longer bike is when I am going to go into a bad downward spiral. I bike as much for my psychological health, as for any other reason.

This Christmas is not going to be a good one. I need to start thinking about how to best approach it.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

9 lives
    Something else that helps... staying connected

Holiday Depression/SAD?-77382272_10157904941732458_6943656318724997120_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

High Desert MTBer
    Maybe some holiday music to cheer everybody up?

Ha! That's the other solution: a ton of cocaine. Andy Williams was one of the biggest coke heads I saw back in the day. No wonder he looks so sparkly! (did a brief tour with him about 40 years ago)
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I have never been diagnosed with this but each successive year, the winter and Christmas season get tougher and tougher. This year is going to be the worst one yet. I am starting to become a little concerned.

I need to come up with a gameplan.

I don't enjoy spending time with my GF's family. I think I am going to work straight through the holidays. Hopefully if I keep biking and lifting hard that will ward off any depression.

The day I can no longer bike is when I am going to go into a bad downward spiral. I bike as much for my psychological health, as for any other reason.

This Christmas is not going to be a good one. I need to start thinking about how to best approach it.
    You need to stop pre-living that event and creating negative expectations in your thoughts and feelings. Once you have created an expectation, your belief system will make you think and act in ways that will make that expectation become real.

It took me many years to recognize that my biggest problem was my tendency to ruminate. I can create scenarios in my head about future events and imagine my response to those imaginary situations, all the while experiencing the negative feelings that accompany the thoughts.

What i finally learned is that I am creating all of my anxiety and most of my depression by using my deeply ingrained but deeply flawed thinking habits. I typically react to perceived stress with the behaviors that were necessary to remain safe at one time but are now counterproductive.

As said in a previous post, learning how to change the way you think is an incredibly valuable skill. Replacing a negative thought with a positive one, looking for the joy in everything you do (it's there if you look), re-framing negative thoughts and never forgetting that the only thing you have full control over in this world is the thoughts and feelings you create for yourself. You're in charge, how do you want to feel?
    Bicycles don't have motors.

mtbr member
    You need to stop pre-living that event and creating negative expectations in your thoughts and feelings. Once you have created an expectation, your belief system will make you think and act in ways that will make that expectation become real.

It took me many years to recognize that my biggest problem was my tendency to ruminate. I can create scenarios in my head about future events and imagine my response to those imaginary situations, all the while experiencing the negative feelings that accompany the thoughts.

What i finally learned is that I am creating all of my anxiety and most of my depression by using my deeply ingrained but deeply flawed thinking habits. I typically react to perceived stress with the behaviors that were necessary to remain safe at one time but are now counterproductive.

As said in a previous post, learning how to change the way you think is an incredibly valuable skill. Replacing a negative thought with a positive one, looking for the joy in everything you do (it's there if you look), re-framing negative thoughts and never forgetting that the only thing you have full control over in this world is the thoughts and feelings you create for yourself. You're in charge, how do you want to feel?
    I think a lot of people do this and simply were never taught the tools and techniques to cultivate the opposite. I certainly never was and had plenty to be genuiely pissed off about growing up. At some point in my late teens I realized anger was part of my identity and actively started working on removing it from my brain pathways. I was more or less successful doing this by just being mindful of shutting down negativity everytime it entered my thoughts. Analyzing why I felt that way, understanding it and replacing it with solutions or what have you.

Fast forward a bunch of years, my girlfriend and I struck out on a grand adventure of seeing this great country from a Ford Econoline. She brought with her several books on tape but one really really captivated me, "The Art of Happiness" by The Dali Lama and Howard Cutler....a self help book, yeah great. In it the Dali Lama lays out very simple, very easy, very common sense and practical ways to cultivate those brain pathways into happier ones. I must of listened to those CD's hundreds of times over many years and still use the techniques today, they work. I'd recommend every last human download it and listen to it while driving, at work, while relaxing in the tub, during a nice walk around the neighborhood....you get the idea.

mtbr member
    Brilliant!
    All ya gotta do to get disinvited is double dip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfprRZQxWps

But on a more serious note....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c9Uu5eILZ8

mtbr member
    Lots to be thankful for

Happy Thanksgiving
    Round and round we go

mtbr member

This is Gold.....Iguanas become Dragons because we develop a defense mechanism of being prepared that becomes disproportionate with reality.
    It is all in the personal thought patterns developed over years.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    It snowed here in northern California Tuesday evening. Not a lot, but enough. Wedneday evening on the group ride, there were areas with 2" of snow.
    A nasty thunderstorm was looming surrounding us. Got a cool video capturing a lightning strike spanning the length of the storm. Dry for us on the ride though. Nasty clouds indicating the falling rain, however.
    The drive home was sprinkles or a light shower, however at my house, 20 minutes way, I had 2" of slushy snow in the driveway, and one road that was nearly all ice (ABS was all sorts of chattery and didn't even know it was ice)

This morning I went out to the garage to sweep out the garage of the melted snowy mess, ended up spending 30 minutes cleaning up the garage a little, just the floor junk that I'm tried of tripping over. Bike tools. Motorcycle parts, etc. Nice morning to roll the door open and let the sun shine in now that weather is breaking.
    Then time for a warm cup of coffee and a Thanksgiving breakfast.
    Can't really ask for a lot more, in my humble life, than to work in the garage. Clean up the mess and now have an easier time walking around the truck in the garage. And have the opportunity make breakfast this morning.
    I'll make dinner later as well.

Just have a few hours of work to put in today between all that.

I don't think that what you describe in the first paragraph is all that uncommon. Definitely fits the bill when I've got things on my mind.

I also don't think it's bad to want to be alone on a holiday. However there are some folks that are really bad at maintaining relationships and will seemingly go out of their way to be alone on a holiday and then act like nobody cares because they were alone on the holiday. I deal with that every year on both mine and my wife's side of the family, which is why I am grumpy during holidays. Nothing is ever good enough, nobody is ever happy. And all I want to do is go into a food coma and county my lucky stars.
    Yeah, the choice to be alone is fine but it's tough when somebody want people to feel guilty for them.
    I have never said in a sad voice -"I am alone for the holiday" when somebody asks what I am doing. I find some crafty sentence to tell them that I have plans already...doesn't mean I have plans to hang out with somebody else, plans of mine are plans of mine.

Happy thanksgiving everybody! I hope ya'll are doing what you enjoy and are embracing family. My family lives across the country so I can't really be with them. Don't take for granted what you do have.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I'm glad I started this thread. I was a bit concerned, that I might be doing a disservice but my intent was more or less exactly what has transpired. Collectively, we know how to find our way out of this kind of situation, and many others, too.I try very hard to not make assumptions, but the temptation is a strong one.

You are an impressive bunch! Happy Thanksgiving.

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    Go get that looked at. It's good if you find something that helps with the discomfort, but CBD won't change the reality of what might be going on.
    I probably should, but I think it's something that I'm doing, like sitting wrong in front of the computer for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Ha! That's the other solution: a ton of cocaine. Andy Williams was one of the biggest coke heads I saw back in the day. No wonder he looks so sparkly! (did a brief tour with him about 40 years ago)
    Ha x 2! The more you know!

I'm glad I started this thread. I was a bit concerned, that I might be doing a disservice but my intent was more or less exactly what has transpired. Collectively, we know how to find our way out of this kind of situation, and many others, too.I try very hard to not make assumptions, but the temptation is a strong one.

You are an impressive bunch! Happy Thanksgiving.
    Right back atcha Rad!

Pipe Dreamer

mtbr member
    ^So good.
    I think that will stand the test of time with any other Christmas classic.

mtbr member
    New studies are showing CBD to change the economic situation of those manufacturing and selling it. Like many things it has been around for years. The genius was in the re-branding from the former name Snake Oil.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure I meet the criteria for Seasonal Affective Disorder. I'd say it creeped up on my in my mid-30's or so, along with some other sh*t at the time.

Regardless, I've learned to manage it by getting outside in the snow and cold, and also routinely hitting the gym in the gloomy months when riding outside can be difficult.

I'm telling you, when the sun is out and it warms up a bit around here during the typically cloudier and cooler months, I get almost manic in my energy level and affect. It's like a drug...
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Pipe Dreamer
    ^So good.
    I think that will stand the test of time with any other Christmas classic.
    Agree! I have to admit that I don't recall seeing that before, can't believe that, but glad I found it now!

Here's another one, lol!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield;14464149

Here's another one, lol!

[video=youtube;-k4yjCo8JWs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k4yjCo8JWs&feature=youtu.be[/video]
    Oddly appealing.

You can download be this Xmas Lux collection from WFMU
    It's great

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    You can download it here

https://wfmuichiban.blogspot.com/201...erior.html?m=1

Pipe Dreamer
    ^^I'm really getting into it this year, lol!

Pipe Dreamer

Pipe Dreamer

mtbr member
    Lmao!
    DAAAANG...that was janky

mtbr member
    The days are getting longer. Pop in a Christmas classic and wait it out.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    New studies are showing CBD to change the economic situation of those manufacturing and selling it. Like many things it has been around for years. The genius was in the re-branding from the former name Snake Oil.
    Trust me old chap, it works very well for many things. You just have to know how to get the best of it, what exactly to use, and how. Thousands upon thousands of people have found great relief from using it. Pain management has been positively affected by it for many sufferers, and I get tremendous benefit for chemo side effects. The pain in my bones and joints from the cancer has been eliminated completely, and I take nothing other than CBD for the pain. If snake oil does this, I'll take more thanks!
    The company that I deal with, Lazarus, have a 60% discount plan for veterans, and people with chronic sickness, so it is also affordable.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I gots lots to be thankful for, but not Christmas. My stocking features coal.....only this time, it glows in the dark! Nice and cozy. Like Trinitite.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    That's cute, Corn. But really, where's a snow shovel when you need it?

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Trust me old chap, it works very well for many things. You just have to know how to get the best of it, what exactly to use, and how. Thousands upon thousands of people have found great relief from using it. Pain management has been positively affected by it for many sufferers, and I get tremendous benefit for chemo side effects. The pain in my bones and joints from the cancer has been eliminated completely, and I take nothing other than CBD for the pain. If snake oil does this, I'll take more thanks!
    The company that I deal with, Lazarus, have a 60% discount plan for veterans, and people with chronic sickness, so it is also affordable.
    While working at the CBD store I got to overhear bits and pieces of stories (horror stories actually) of people that have to live with chronic pain. Up until CBD came around I'm not sure if there was anything other than opiates and such, which have lots of nasty side effects and are highly addictive. I'm glad I don't need anything right now, but I know where I'm going if I need something for pain!

That's cute, Corn. But really, where's a snow shovel when you need it?
    lol!

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Iíve been this way since 2012. Eventually it will pass. Stupid uncontrollable shit seems to just rear itís ugly ass head every time around the holidays for me. Part of the curse of being a contract worker. Funny thing is that I have skills that employers whose heads arenít stuffed way the fŁck up their asses could hire me for and save time and money in the long run (as opposed to the churn/burn cycle of getting a new contractor in every several months, requiring hours and hours of retraining the same stuff to a different person, and hoping they arenít a druggie/loser or get bored) but they never get the big picture. This is the first time since 2015 that I find myself employed (OK, as a contractor) through the holiday season, yeah, itís rare. But Iím still stewing and brewing inside my head that I am (in the eyes of an employer) ďreplaceableĒ so I can never sleep a peaceful night until the day I die here in flea-bitten rat-ridden homless-overrun H1B-dominated Sillycorn Valley. Talk amongst yourselves.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Iíve been this way since 2012. Eventually it will pass. Stupid uncontrollable shit seems to just rear itís ugly ass head every time around the holidays for me. Part of the curse of being a contract worker. Funny thing is that I have skills that employers whose heads arenít stuffed way the fŁck up their asses could hire me for and save time and money in the long run (as opposed to the churn/burn cycle of getting a new contractor in every several months, requiring hours and hours of retraining the same stuff to a different person, and hoping they arenít a druggie/loser or get bored) but they never get the big picture. This is the first time since 2015 that I find myself employed (OK, as a contractor) through the holiday season, yeah, itís rare. But Iím still stewing and brewing inside my head that I am (in the eyes of an employer) ďreplaceableĒ so I can never sleep a peaceful night until the day I die here in flea-bitten rat-ridden homless-overrun H1B-dominated Sillycorn Valley. Talk amongst yourselves.
    Have you ever thought about living in the Raleigh Research Triangle Park area?

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Have you ever thought about living in the Raleigh Research Triangle Park area?
    Funny you mention RTP as Cisco was trying to get someone over there in my position back in 2011 for the position I was contracting up until 2013. Meanwhile I amófor the time beingóworking for a local 2 trillion dollar Cupertino based fruit distribution company (as a contractor) so I am certain there are no plans for RTP any time soon. Where I will be in two years (let alone the next year) is anyoneís guess.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.