Sweep the leg!

Her oven broke. (totally safe for work reading)

The wife was ready to pay another man to touch her oven!

The other night we had pizza and the wife usually broils it for a minute or two to brown the toppings. She forgot to turn the oven off when she removed the pizza stone and let it broil, with the door ajar, for about 30 minutes when she noticed the smell. Yesterday she was going to bake cookies and neither the broiler element or the oven element would warm up. All the other functions of the oven seemed fine, it just wouldn't heat.

She, well, we both became a bit depressed thinking we'd need a new oven. Since breaking my leg in August it's been tough living on the $330/wk and the savings dedicated for "furlough/lay-off" time. We went about our day yesterday and I know I tried to pretend it wasn't on my mind.

This morning she called for an appliance repairman to come by to diagnose the problem and/or repair it.

When I logged on the computer I immediately googled the brand and model of the oven instead of coming to MTBR. (I know, where are my priorities?) The second hit was a description of our problem at a link for Product Problem Support, Troubleshooting Help & Repair Solutions

I was surprised to see how many replies and questions there were for our oven. We've had this oven for more than 12 years and it's been faithful, but I thought it simply had died even if it was our fault for leaving the broiler unattended. It seems there's a reset button buried inside the electronics but 6 screws and a cover plate have to be removed to get at where it lives 6" inside.

So if you have something that needs fixing take a look at Product Problem Support, Troubleshooting Help & Repair Solutions and see if you can DIY.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Internet is great. We had a pump stuck in a Siemens washer a little while ago - in 10 minutes I watched several detailed instructional videos on how to properly fix it, and fixed it. Same story with many repairs around the house - not just money saved, also a lot of time.

Yeah, one needs to have BS filter on high when sifting for all sorts of information, but is it is so much better for so many things than even a decade ago...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So.... did doing that fix your oven?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeakJones View Post

yeah, was it a happy ending? ...for you and the mrs..with the pizza, ofcourse.

since 4/10/2009
    I had a problem with our range awhile back. The thing is ONLY 4yrs old (new, came with the house, but not terribly expensive - this happened when it was 2-3yrs old, though). The problem was with one of the burners heating and heating continuously when it was turned on. Sometimes, it'd continue to heat for awhile even after it was turned off.

I googled the problem and it turned out to be the "infinite switch" that controlled the burner, and as with your case, a lot of people with that model of range had that problem. it wasn't terribly easy to find a replacement part, unfortunately. I think I ended up finding one on ebay or something. it was a fairly easy fix for the most part, though.

banned
    Jun 2007
    Great that you were able to DIY, and kept another man from diddling your wife('s oven).
    By doing this yourself, were you neglecting a local merchant?
    If this were a "I fixed my bike myself" post, the LBS police would cite you for stealing their market, territory encroachment, and then
    void your warranty for using unskilled labor.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by BeakJones View Post
    Nope, I thought I'd tell a story and provide links to a DIY site just to kill time on the interwebs.

Hmm, that's more often the truth of it. I'd type more but fresh cookies won't eat themselves.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    With Youtube videos on my phone, I'm an appliance/home repair machine. In the last few months or so I've fixed:

the coupler on the washer
    4 leaky bathroom faucets
    replaced kitchen faucet
    bathroom fan (new motor)
    condenser fan on the fridge
    dvd player

Yeah, I know, no mind-blowing stuff there, and lots of people probably already know how to fix them, but I didn't. Probably saved several hundred dollars in repair labor. Not to mention, I properly applied bar tape on my road bike (my first uneducated effort was really a mess!). You can find out how to fix just about anything on the internet, and there are step-by-step videos that walk you right through it.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Great that you were able to DIY, and kept another man from diddling your wife('s oven).

By doing this yourself, were you neglecting a local merchant? Perhaps. Then it would have been a thread about how they charged a service call and an hour's labor to remove 6 screws and push a button. Since I haven't worked in 8 months due to a broken leg that call would have burned up more than half of the week's disability check of $330.

If this were a "I fixed my bike myself" post, the LBS police would cite you for stealing their market, territory encroachment, Definitely. But since I hold a USAC Mechanic's license and a Journeyman Electrician License, I'm more than qualified to be the appropriate person to take that work.

and then void your warranty 12 year old ovens aren't covered by warranty.

for using unskilled labor. I always forget, is it lefty-loosy, righty-tighty?
    Smiles!

banned
    Jun 2007
    Points well taken CP, was just being a dickweed.
    Heard today that Specialized & Trek are soon to bust onto the kitchen appliance scene with carbon fiber cooktops, tubeless microwaves, and F/S dishwashers!
    Recently seen in patent court fighting copyright infringements, and lifetime warranty loopholes.
    Heal quickly,

Sweep the leg!
    Points well taken CP, was just being a dickweed.
    You need more practice! I could see you were goofin' too easily

Heard today that Specialized & Trek are soon to bust onto the kitchen appliance scene with carbon fiber cooktops, tubeless microwaves, and F/S dishwashers!
    Heal quickly,
    Vertically compliant gas cooktops, but not electric cooktops!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    DIY is the name of the game if you come from an automotive background. With hourly rates at dealerships growing to over $150 an hour in some places (my current dealer is at $110 an hour already) more and more people are learning to fix their own cars. Which I totally support. Calling someone else in to fix something is always my last resort unless its something which just isnt worth my time. Such as, Im having a guy come this weekend and mud and texture the fresh sheetrock in my guest bathroom. I could do it, I have the tools, however its messy as hell and it would look like an amatuer did it. Its worth the $250 to me to have someone who knows what they are doing go for it and clean up afterwards.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    When I'm having problems with my wife's oven, usually a bit of lube takes care of it.

Titanium junkie
    Anything that needs fixin, that's what I do.
    HVAC/Electrical/ Plumbing. You know what I have learned?
    I hate knowing this stuff, it's that simple.
    Cause I can never say no to the neighborhood.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    DIY is the name of the game if you come from an automotive background. With hourly rates at dealerships growing to over $150 an hour in some places (my current dealer is at $110 an hour already) more and more people are learning to fix their own cars.
    That is one thing I am doing less and less. Modern cars are just not made for DIY as it used to be. I just figured it to be very non cost effective for the effort required.

Though, right about now I need to take off a door panel to take a look at a stuck electric lock (damn car is two month out of warranty). Though about doing that myself..

Axe
    Custom User Title
    If Specialized made any, they would not fit any standard kitchen furniture. You would need to buy a whole kitchen to fit it, and then they will not let you order any parts of it online.

banned
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    If Specialized made any, they would not fit any standard kitchen furniture. You would need to buy a whole kitchen to fit it, and then they will not let you order any parts of it online.
    A Trek kitchen would also be proprietary, without specs or replacement parts, and produced by child labor. Visit an authorized dealer for personalized service* (no competition / protected profits) to insure proper fit. Trek will acquire another legendary icon - Bobby Flay, spend giant ad $$$, employ stunning women & fast men to test gear, be human billboards, and cast lemming bait far & wide. (yes, GF, I now own a Trek.) *Taiwanese mfg. support available with preferred customer plan.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    That is one thing I am doing less and less. Modern cars are just not made for DIY as it used to be. I just figured it to be very non cost effective for the effort required.

Though, right about now I need to take off a door panel to take a look at a stuck electric lock (damn car is two month out of warranty). Though about doing that myself..
    Thats why the newest car I own is an 2008, and it will most likely stay that way unless I decided to buy a new Mustang GT, then it'll get traded back in before the warranty runs out. And electric door locks havent changed much in the last 20 years so Id say go for it. The worst you might do is break a plastic locking clip.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

Members who have read this thread: 0