Have you taken the Polar Plunge?- Mtbr.com
    Afric Pepperbird

Have you taken the Polar Plunge?

I'm thinking of taking the Polar Plunge New Years Day at Bradford Beach, Milwaukee, Lake Michigan.

I'm wondering what's the best way to "drop trou" (change from my swimsuit into sweat pants) on the crowded beach after the plunge. Some say they set up a tent on the beach, but I'm not sure I want to haul my tent.

Have you done it anywhere before? What did you do to get dry and comfy immediately afterwards on the beach?

Wanna ride bikes?
    i've never done the official event, but i've jumped in a few lakes that were in the 30's. it gets your attention.

i would just wrap a towel around my waist and drop trou. have a second towel for drying off, then I'd go for layers of clothing. many wool layers. and coffee/hot chocolate/cold beer/warm scotch. any of those beverages would be acceptable after a dip.

don't forget your swimmies.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    i've never done the official event, but i've jumped in a few lakes that were in the 30's. it gets your attention.

i would just wrap a towel around my waist and drop trou. have a second towel for drying off, then I'd go for layers of clothing. many wool layers. and coffee/hot chocolate/cold beer/warm scotch. any of those beverages would be acceptable after a dip.

don't forget your swimmies.
    This ^ I've never done the plunge but this is the technique surfers do. Crowded parking lots or on the side of a beach road. A simple towel around your waist and change underneath it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ what he said.

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    This ^ I've never done the plunge but this is the technique surfers do. Crowded parking lots or on the side of a beach road. A simple towel around your waist and change underneath it.
    I do that at the trailhead sometimes as well.
    NTFTC

9 lives
    I don't always plan to go through the ice, but I have gotten a foot soaker while ice biking. One of our friends took the plunge a couple seasons ago

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

TOP TIER LURKER
    In So Cal, a polar plunge (into outdoor Winter water temps/low elevation) would feature temps in the 50F range.

mtbr member
    Never had the urge to jump into freezing water in the freezing cold.

By me it's a big thing. They set up a small room with no roof. Made up of rigid insulation with tin foil on the inside to reflect the sun. It is much appreciated by everyone and it's amazing how much warmer it is in there
    Round and round we go

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    In So Cal, a polar plunge (into outdoor Winter water temps/low elevation) would feature temps in the 50F range.
    And that is freaking cold. In the winter time living in San Diego the only water contact fresh water lake around closed for the winter, due to staffing reasons. To find fresh water to ride on we used to head out to the desert halfway to the Colorado River. A small town called Seeley had a small lake called Sunbeam we could use. The temps were in the mid 40's. Full wetsuit and ice cream headache temps. We even rigged up grip warmers via hot water from the motors cooling system fed through hoses that went into the handlebars and out through drilled out rivets in the grips. Worked awesome.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 12-21-2016 at 09:26 AM.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Only did it once -- new year's Eve, in an unheated pool laced with block ice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sauna at a friends house in college. Late fall. Common to jump in the lake water or roll in snow to cool down before going back in to the hot house. I was first to jump off the dock. A little wobbly, as I was airborne going to do a layout to cannon ball, the movement of the dock caused the ice to crack, not good. Too late. Butt first, through maybe 1/4 inch or so, just a few scratches. Would have nothing to do with day drinking brews all day. Got to do the narwhal impression though. Swim to shore under water, push up off the bottom of the lake to bust your head through the ice. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Sauna at a friends house in college. Late fall. Common to jump in the lake water or roll in snow to cool down before going back in to the hot house. I was first to jump off the dock. A little wobbly, as I was airborne going to do a layout to cannon ball, the movement of the dock caused the ice to crack, not good. Too late. Butt first, through maybe 1/4 inch or so, just a few scratches. Would have nothing to do with day drinking brews all day. Got to do the narwhal impression though. Swim to shore under water, push up off the bottom of the lake to bust your head through the ice. Good times.
    "swimming under the ice"

Death wish.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 12-22-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    The closest I've come was a New Years Day waterski at a lake close to home. It happened to be a fairly warm day for Jan.1st, but the water was COLD! There was also lots of debris to avoid.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I'm thinking of taking the Polar Plunge New Years Day at Bradford Beach, Milwaukee, Lake Michigan.

I'm wondering what's the best way to "drop trou" (change from my swimsuit into sweat pants) on the crowded beach after the plunge. Some say they set up a tent on the beach, but I'm not sure I want to haul my tent.

Have you done it anywhere before? What did you do to get dry and comfy immediately afterwards on the beach?
    Seems they'd have some privacy somewhere for that event?
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Rabid Lana Fan
    ... hot water from the motors cooling system fed through hoses that went into the handlebars and out through drilled out rivets in the grips
    Genius!
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Genius!
    Best photo I have of it. Look close at the grips. Two rivets per grip on the top of the grip where your palm of your hands meet. Very soft aluminum rivets with large heads. Pound them to form to the grip and drill them out. Nice warm water really changed your day of riding.

Have you taken the Polar Plunge?-image.jpeg

Have you taken the Polar Plunge?-image.jpeg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    "swimming under the ice"

Death wish.
    Read the part about 1/4" thick? And that I already busted though it nearby? Just had to stand up. I've already used up like 4 of my 9 lives, what's one more?

Read the part about 1/4" thick? And that I already busted though it nearby? Just had to stand up. I've already used up like 4 of my 9 lives, what's one more?
    Yes, but swimming under the ice it's very easy to lose orientation. You could have swam out instead of in. Plus ice isn't always the same thickness and density in all parts of the lake. It could have easily been a 1/4" thick where you popped up but harder in density. Which could have knocked you out or unable to break through before you lost all your oxygen.

Sorry, but you get a Darwin Award here.

I almost lost a buddy of mine at age 13. We were crossing a frozen pond and he was ahead of me. He fell through and popped up a foot or so under the ice away from where he fell through. Luckily he swam the right way and made his way to the opening. He couldn't climb out though because of all the snow clothes he had on weighing him down. I ran the shore and grabbed the longest stick I could find. I managed to get it to him and he was able to crawl up and out. He could have easily drowned.

Snow Dog
    I have fallen through ice while skating on ponds many times. Did 2 or 3 Polar Plunges when I was in Boy Scouts years ago. We also used to do a thing where we would sit in my friends hot tub, and then get out and body slide down the street in the winter, then run back and get into the hot tub. THAT was awesome...

I ride my bike in sleet, rain and snow pretty much all the time. Does that count?
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post

Change under a towel?

I drove 3000 miles then took a 10 mile boat ride then hiked in 3 miles to swim out to this iceberg and stand on top of it.

I actually hiked out in my wet shorts on a 50* day. The water was cold, but really it's not that bad, you should search out the "Wim Hof Method" intentional hyperventilation to super saturate your blood with oxygen and you can withstand gnar cold in relative comfort.

I don't give a **** about swimming in cold water now, went swimming in tons of super cold lakes all though canada and Alaska this past summer.

Lake filled by glacial runnoff? Tourists walking around in down coats? looks like a nice spot for a swim!

Jack, the towel trick was mentioned early on.

Great photos by the way.

Upcyclist
    DJim is in his own little world. This has to be at least 1.5" thick, no problem in Russia:

Have you taken the Polar Plunge?-ab8a8d07e400eacb947a7faeda0b349b.jpg
    Berms and transitions may apply

mtbr member
    This guy takes the cake for being totally unphased by cold stuff,

https://www.facebook.com/RationalIns...4260373279905/

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    DJim is in his own little world. This has to be at least 1.5" thick, no problem in Russia:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ab8a8d07e400eacb947a7faeda0b349b.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	1111961
    Sure, it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.