have you invented something?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

have you invented something?

From the general discussion forum, MTB products you wish existed, I was curious if anyone has made or invented something that has gone into production?

On the other hand I know people who have tried to make something or had a great idea and got totally screwed. Some were their own fault for doing it at work or telling too many people.

I have some ideas that are not bike related, just never have figured how to go about it.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

One ring to mash them all
    The closest I came was doing some early work on noise-shaping analog to digital converters. I developed software simulations and co-authored some papers with colleagues who eventually went on to get their work patented, but I had moved on to other things by then. And it was government work so not like I would've gotten any royalties for it.
    "Thousands of you may die…it is what it is." - Lord Farkwad

Real eyes realize real lies.

Formerly of Kent
    You know all of the fairings you see on the underside of semi trucks these days?

Not kidding, I drew those as a middle schooler back in like 1998. I was always perplexed as to why so many trucks, particularly the cab-over (blunt-nosed) ones you don't really see any more, had such poor aerodynamics. That's a lot of meat to push through the wind at interstate speeds.

My drawings basically looked like a semi that had mated with a Japanese bullet train. Big ass nose cone, tail fairing, undercarriage fairings.

Flash forward to 2020 and some semis have aerodynamic fairings on their wheels.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    my FIL worked for Southwest Gas as a machinist. He made a bunch of different tools and fittings that were all his design but since he did it while at work SWG got all the royalties. If he made them at home in his machine shop they would have had the royalties. Another person I knew went to make a few things with help from some "friends". They went out and did it themselves. Before he showed them his idea he copied his plans down and mailed it to himself in a certified letter and never opened it. When he found out they took his idea he went to court, fought them and won because they had the exact same plans but his was dated before theirs. so the story goes....

My current idea I need to find past information that wasn't really documented and it would be software/web programming that I know nothing about so I would need help from someone who does, but I don't trust them to not just go out and try themselves.

mtbr member
    Many times it’s the simplest inspiration that solves an immediate problem....

have you invented something?-untitled-60.jpg
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

mtbr member
    I know a guy that got the idea for a water filtration system, that could also dispense water at various preset volumes to reduce water waste. He even paid a crazy amount just to have his idea turned into conceptual mechanical drawings and specs. Took a lot of time. It stalled out when they wanted a lot more money to actually produce a prototype. Pretty sure it was done by that Inventors Something or other, that you see their commercials on TV from time to time... "Got an idea for an invention? We'll make it a reality."

I never really understood why he thought there would be a demand, but who am I to kill a guy's dream.

Now there are smart faucets that will fill up to any desired amount with a voice command...

mtbr member
    Nylon building line to make clean cut without damaging existing service feeders that have to be redirected, protected by thin piece of aluminum slipped into conduit under wire. Worked perfectly.have you invented something?-file1-4.jpg
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I actually am on a patent on a set of audiophile headphones. Unfortunately it was a start up and money ran out before they got to market...

I am a design engineer so I do a lot of design and a number of products have gone on the market.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (single speed "gravel" bike), Nashbar CXSS (on trainer)

mtbr member
    Sometimes it is something as simple as modifying several long used ideas and components to fit a special circumstance.
    Built 2 J frames to hold the rollers for universal mounting positions, with threaded rod for u bolts, the tray cable could be pulled in and simply laid in place, lifted and directed by simply manipulating the boom and lift controls. Open top, making install easy without opening a yoke, no manhandling the weight of the cable.
    Made for easy work in hot conditions cut time and labor by over 60%.Test equipment for the electric catapult on the Gerald Ford Carrier.....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails have you invented something?-untitled-62.jpg  

have you invented something?-untitled-61.jpg  

well mannered lout
    I knew a guy that invented an adapter to hold a stemmed wine glass in a standard cup holder because he was sick of his sister spilling wine on his boat.
    Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

Cycologist
    I can think of one thing I developed for a client that they have had produced, though guessing somewhere well over 50,000 through the years rather than actual mass marketed. It was for their own use, not something for sale. I guess it could have been patented but I don't think it was. If you live in the US, there is a very good chance you have seen it. But it's not very exciting.

I design a lot of stuff that goes into production, but usually only producing one but sometimes a few hundred.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

I developed an adaptive algorithm for blind estimation of second-order propagation effects due to equatorial ionospheric scintillation on UHF geosynchronous satellite communications.

I got to present a paper at a conference at the Disneyland convention center. Work paid for my mileage to and from San Diego. Barely avoided being side-swiped by a jack-knifing big rig on the I-5 in Irvine. Woot!

well mannered lout
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    I developed an adaptive algorithm for blind estimation of second-order propagation effects due to equatorial ionospheric scintillation on UHF geosynchronous satellite communications.
    I might be one of the first to make battered deep fried blueberry muffins...

Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    /thread

mtbr member
    A tuna can strainer. Sort of like a lemon squeezer but with perforated round discs that can accept any size can. I've also invented many different types of sandwiches but can't remember what they were. They were good though.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Not sure why this hasn't been invented yet.

A button on your tee-vee that when you press it, it sounds an alarm from a little bitty speaker on your tee-vee remote. Seems that would be really easy to integrate.

No more searching for that lost tee-vee remote.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    ...I've also invented many different types of sandwiches but can't remember what they were. They were good though.
    lolz..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    If you don't want to wait for your blueberry muffins to bake, throw a scoop in the waffle iron. Done in 3 minutes. Muffles are good stuff. I invented them.

I also wanted to invent the Breakfast Cigarette. Caffeine and Nicotine one bic flic away.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

well mannered lout
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    If you don't want to wait for your blueberry muffins to bake, throw a scoop in the waffle iron. Done in 3 minutes. Muffles are good stuff. I invented them.
    I was catering a Fat Tuesday breakfast with egg sandwiches fried like Monte Cristos...one thing leads to another...

I've also done Swedish meatball grinders and the infamous Thanksgiving Taco Bar.

Pipe Dreamer
    I invented battery powered heated outer wear, or at least I might have. One day while shivering at work outside I wondered why with today's batteries we couldn't have a battery powered heating elements inside our jackets and pants. I called one of those invention hotlines and told them about my idea, called it "Warm Jacket", lol! This was like 10yrs ago, now Milwaukee, DeWat, etc have them.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    A tuna can strainer. Sort of like a lemon squeezer but with perforated round discs that can accept any size can. I've also invented many different types of sandwiches but can't remember what they were. They were good though.
    I have a tuna can strainer that works great, but only if it is a can that is opened with a can opener. if it has a pull tab it won't work.

mtbr member
    .....Excuses.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post

A button on your tee-vee that when you press it, it sounds an alarm from a little bitty speaker on your tee-vee remote. Seems that would be really easy to integrate.

When I was younger, I thought about that too.

Cycologist
    pfft! who hasn't done that?
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post

Or what if all the buttons were located directly on the TV itself? Then they'd never be lost, think of the marketing opportunity!

mtbr member
    In invented a social networking site where you could connect with friends, brag about your kids, and pedal crazy conspiracy therories. I called it BookFace and some nerds from Harvard stole it from me.

Duck Fonald
    I invented the Double Header toothbrush.

Brushes upper and lower teeth at the same time!

I made millions, but spent it all on beer.

*belllllch*

have you invented something?-20200529_162526.jpg
    "It is what it is."

DJT on US Covid-19 deaths.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Back in 2006 I had a contract as a veb deweloper (thick Indian accent) with a local MLS company. One day I decided to make a working mockup of their website that would render on mobile devices, since I brainstormed the notion that one day real estate agents might want to be able to show MLS listings on mobile devices to potential homebuyers. Took a few weeks of fiddlefarting around with CSS (which was still pretty new) and HTML, but I got a basic framework mocked up that would render on mobile devices (obviously mobile carrier data plans back then weren’t exactly what they are now but my mockup worked!). The CTO and a few lead dewelopers on the team were pretty impressed. My idea was pitched to the CEO… his answer—not the exact words but same idea—: “No, this will never catch on. There will never be a need for mobile in the world of MLS listings.”

I fückin’ swear (like I just did) I should have gone to a competing MLS and sold the idea to them.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yes
    Coyote cloaking device?

well mannered lout
    Coyote cloaking device?
    Margarita-to-go

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    You’d be surprised. In fact many of you use versions from other companies after the patent expired.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.