Happy Birthday, Jerry- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Happy Birthday, Jerry

Jerry Garcia would have been 70 today. Died in 1995, and music was never the same. I loved to get lost in his guitar solos. Any Dead stories?
    Will trade for some chicken.

Big Mac
    Dead stories. You mean dead dead stories? I gotta few. Pigpen, Keith Godchaux, Brent Mydland, Vince Welnick, Ramrod, and of course Jerry Garcia.

mtbr member
    I would be a different person if it wasn't for him and the whole band. They were a catalyst for what became the current music and cultural scene that I have been a part of since I was a lost 15 year old at my first Phish show in 99.

Here's one:
    I have seen all the remaining members multiple times, but my one chance to see him this is what happened. In 1995 my dad, brother and I were driving through Missouri to NH for a reunion of sorts. I was 11. My dad was an old Head (been to Watkins Glen-tried to hitchhike to Woodstock but never made it, etc.) and we happen to come to near the stadium outside of St. Louis where they were playing that night. It was either July 5th or 6th, 1995-I just looked. He didn't realize it was going on until we came near it. But he asked and it was sold out. He wanted to take us, but didn't want to deal with tryign to find tickets. He says to us (or very damn close), "Don't worry they tour all the time, you'll have plenty of chances to see them. I'll take you next time." I remember a scene where we were sitting in a McDonalds (I ate that sh!t up then-I was a kid) and seeing the dirtiest of dreadies dude in there. That was my first wook sighting.

Know where this is headed?

This was the last tour ever with Jerry Garcia. Literally 3-4 shows before the last ever Jerry Dead show.

Doh!

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Happy 70 Jerry!
    A little sample of the "original" Dead, firing on all 8 cylinders.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QjVlA2E_fOI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Members who have read this thread: 0