Had to tell the landlady I done lost my job- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Had to tell the landlady I done lost my job

So, I got fired tonight. I haven't felt this good in like two weeks. Ear to ear, baby. Got some Red Hot Chili Peppers going, and I feel like a boss.

What's next? Hell if I know. Funemployment?

b a n n e d
    Moar time to ride?!

Find a sugarmomma . . . s'all good then. Ask me how I know.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    That's my life's ambition. Be a house husband. Let the old lady work, and I keep the house together and I'll really be ear to ear.

SS Pusher Man
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Before jumping the gun, you should check with your state's unemployment office to see if you still qualify for benefits due to being fired.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail6 View Post
    Before jumping the gun, you should check with your state's unemployment office to see if you still qualify for benefits due to being fired.
    Filed for UE this morning. Here's the thing, supposedly, I was on a performance improvement plan, but they never had me sign anything acknowledging it. All I signed was a form acknowledging I was being discharged for poor performance, but there's nothing I signed prior to that stating any warnings, counseling, etc. That looks good on me for getting UE right?

mtbr member
    Were you a poor performer?

better than I deserve
    Are you going to look for work?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Filed for UE this morning. Here's the thing, supposedly, I was on a performance improvement plan, but they never had me sign anything acknowledging it. All I signed was a form acknowledging I was being discharged for poor performance, but there's nothing I signed prior to that stating any warnings, counseling, etc. That looks good on me for getting UE right?
    If you were fired for poor performance no, it doesn't look good. Seems like that falls outside of the "no fault of your own" clause.

Do you really think you're in the right because you never signed anything promising to be a good worker?

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    Depends on the state. In some states, if it's an "at-will" position, you can be fired at any time and not receive unemployment.

b a n n e d
    This thread is headed exactly where I thought it would end up . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

since 4/10/2009
    tough break.

it is an employer's market right now. for a lot of unskilled positions and some skilled ones, they can afford to get rid of someone for the littlest thing and find someone willing to bust tail for the position in short order.

I am hearing about some employers being a bit abusive of that reality, too. Not permitting employees to take accrued vacation, working them 7 days/week (my father might get 1 or 2 days off every few months unless he uses vacation time), long shifts, etc.

mtbr member
    So you file, if your former employer wants to fight it they will schedule a hearing at the UEB office. you win great, ya got some free time to go ride and enjoy life. If you loose..well you landlady will prolly kick you out and you will be forced to live in a box on the street. and if you live in a box on the street you dont have an internet connection, and if you dont have an internet connection you can view this fourm. Dont get left out of MTBR! and good luck with the job hunt.
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    I've got two "possibles" for a new job on the line at the moment. Still hoping I get that UE money for a while.

But yeah, with the way the economy is, a lot of employers use it as an excuse to treat people like crap.

mtbr member
    I gotta play devil's advocate here, there are many people who are also justly fired due to performance issues.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    I gotta play devil's advocate here, there are many people who are also justly fired due to performance issues.
    my father was fired from his previous job for a hopped up issue. one guy didn't like him and complained a lot. he happened to be the highest paid employee at his position. they fired him for "failure to get along well with others" so they could replace him with someone cheaper. the company did a mass firing of people while he was on extended disability for losing a leg. some people were fired who legitimately should have been. I suspect that there was a quota from the top about how much payroll they needed to save, or how many people needed to be released. they fired instead of "laid off" so they could skirt paying unemployment. so they basically dug through their HR files to find people they could find an excuse to fire. my suspicion.

yes, some people are fired justly for poor performance, and a lot of people with poor performance who are not fired. but it varies all over, and I'm hearing about trumped up firings more often in recent years.

Suckin wind like a boss
    my last job wouldnt fire me, they made me quit. when i say "made me quit", i mean they started scheduling me shifts for a job i wasnt hired, nor trained for, and scheduling me shifts that left me at part-time hours (usually right around 30/week.)

yeah i could have stuck around, but why? it was a losing situation for me, and when i saw the writing on the wall i started to give them a reason to fire me- but they didnt. i even got completely belligerent with one of my managers when she insisted we have a one-on-one to "discuss whats been bugging me", and i spelled it out in no uncertain terms exactly what had been bugging me, and why, and what i thought about it... and nothing changed. until i got a new job, that is. its like they strung me along knowing i would eventually quit and didnt put forth any effort to train anyone to take my spot, at least not up to the point i walked out.

i *was* one of the 3 highest-paid employees, curiously enough...i wouldnt be surprised to find out they got someone in to take my spot who works for several bucks less an hour and still on the 30ish hours schedule.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

since 4/10/2009
    I worked for Galyans when they were bought by Dicks. Galyans treated employees pretty well. For what I did, I was well compensated, got reasonable hours, and got decent hours. As soon as Dicks took over, they knew they wanted me out. I was too expensive, and too knowledgable about the quality gear they were getting rid of and the crap they were replacing it with. They cut me to 8 crappy hours per week and they changed my duties from sales to shelf stocking. Another case of forcing an employee to quit so you can avoid paying their unemployment. Happened in 04-ish

I ride brikes, dingus'
    Dont know why they call it Funemployment when you cant afford to go any where because gas prices are so f'ing high! and all I do is stress out about money. Been out of work since December and haven't ridden that much because I have to save my gas. All my unemployment beni's go to my mortgage! Ugh!! Been looking for work, but nada! Anyways, didn't mean to hijack your post OP and just wanted to vent a little!
    I too was pretty excited when I got laid off from job. I F'ing hated it! I was there for 10 years and had to deal with ego's and liars.
    You're not lost if you don't care where you are--- Tom Massie

No Stranger to danger....
    sorry to hear that mate, did you ask the landlady is she wanted a nookie once a week to pay your rent, never know, she might jump at the chance, cheers

I got fired last year. I was willing to accept my boss' very flimsy reason until all the folks I worked with confirmed my suspicion that he was tired of hearing one person complain about me. She'd complain for no reason, she just hated me. After three years of daily complaints I guess something had to give and I'm easier to replace than her.

Members who have read this thread: 0