Had a little spill. Fell on my gun. Hurt like hell. Holster suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    Hail Satin!

Had a little spill. Fell on my gun. Hurt like hell. Holster suggestions?

Slow speed highside yesterday riding home from work. Fell on my back and tried to mold a Walther shaped indentation into my lower back.
    I don't like thigh holsters for riding. And I really don't like stomach holsters.
    Any suggestions?
    I live in an open carry state. So concealment isn't an issue.
    In the great Ford vs Chevy debate, I choose Porsche.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    This has always been something I have worried about carrying and riding and crashing on it. What about a chest rig? I don't see appendix working for riding, and hips seem like the most likely place to fall on. Or a hip pack over it on the back side so you have some cushion over it.?

Chest rig is my choice when I'm out on the ranch, or when we go down to big bend.

Rollin 29s
    Thereís a guy named Neil Warren in Canada who makes custom frame bags (I have one for my Ripmo), but before going any further, you would have to be willing to holster the gun not on your person.

Iíve not looked at a holster bag, but he rides in the wilderness, and Iím sure he gets this request.

Obviously better to have it on your person in case you and the bike are separated and you need quick access, but this is an idea.

http://www.alpinethreadworks.com/about.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

Rollin 29s

Had a little spill. Fell on my gun. Hurt like hell. Holster suggestions?

Xxxx
    Last edited by isleblue65; 04-03-2020 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Deleting duplicate
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Helmet mount.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I use a Kenai chest holster.

https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    That way if it does go off during a crash at least itís a quick kill shot to the heart.

I should carry with how many mountain lions are in my area. And thatís probably the best location to be able to get to it in a hurry and not being separated from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

banned
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelcaro View Post
    I use a Kenai chest holster.

https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/

they do work, but i have not used one on rowdy singletrack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    That way if it does go off during a crash at least itís a quick kill shot to the heart.

I should carry with how many mountain lions are in my area. And thatís probably the best location to be able to get to it in a hurry and not being separated from it.
    Yeah, was thinking more like foot , I mean come on, this is the oc
    Round and round we go

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Helmet mount.
    I like this almost as much as I like a swivel mounted rifle on the handlebars.
    dang

mtbr member
    Had a little spill. Fell on my gun. Hurt like hell. Holster suggestions?-82213f00-7878-42a1-b9ac-fff50cad45f1.jpeg
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Interesting topic for which Iíve thought about quite a bit. Iíve never found a great solution. Iíd only carry a striker fired piece with a grip safety on a bike. No chance for discharge in the event of a yard sale.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Pro tip: Don't ride with a gun.
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Pro tip: Don't ride with a gun.
    But it makes me feel like a cowboy

mtbr member
    But I donít wanna be a cowboy....said in a Jerry Seinfeld voice
    DAAAANG...that was janky

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Carry

Quote Originally Posted by chewymilk99 View Post
    Slow speed highside yesterday riding home from work. Fell on my back and tried to mold a Walther shaped indentation into my lower back.
    I don't like thigh holsters for riding. And I really don't like stomach holsters.
    Any suggestions?
    I use a Camelback fanny pack. Gives some padding in a crash and can carry other things as well without shoulder/back pain. Also lots of options for placement (front side pockets or rear main compartment). .....either quick access or not....always carry while bike packing wilderness.

High Desert MTBer
    Oh sheet! This chestnut again... didn't we do this many times before?
    Everyone knows how best to carry a fire extinguisher on a bike I thought?
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    My multi-tool comes with a taser.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    On your hip, of course!
    Just call me Ray

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    In fairness this thread was overdue.

mtbr member
    I would liked to have had my pistol on my when I got attacked by a pack of wild dogs riding last June. would have saved me from ER bills and multiple trips for rabbies shots.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member
    I wonder what the actual chances are of being attacked by bears, wolves, wild dogs compared to accidents/harm caused by said gun in other circumstances?

mtbr member
    In NZ its not the animals that try and kill you. Its natural disasters like tornadoes, earthquakes, erupting vulcano's.......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    In NZ its not the animals that try and kill you. Its natural disasters like tornadoes, earthquakes, erupting vulcano's.......
    Blast em
    DAAAANG...that was janky

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    Dude. The hikers are gonna BE zombies. Just blow their bodies to pieces with that anti-materiel round....and keep moving.
    It should work well on Stravatards too.

Before anyone blows a gasket, I use Strava and that was a joke
    DAAAANG...that was janky

mtbr member
    I wonder what the actual chances are of being attacked by bears, wolves, wild dogs compared to accidents/harm caused by said gun in other circumstances?
    I genuinely wonder what the odds of actually using a handgun in the event you were actually attacked? I understand if you came round a corner and bear/mountain lion/etc was 50m away, you could try and scare it. But if you were attacked from behind, then there's no point?

All fat, all the time.
    In the past 3 years I've had 2 run ins with cougars and 1 bobcat, all closer than 20' away.

Only 1 concerned me as the others ran away as soon as I came around the corner.

I would have preferred bear spray vs a gun in that instance. (I do carry spray now)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard View Post
    I genuinely wonder what the odds of actually using a handgun in the event you were actually attacked? I understand if you came round a corner and bear/mountain lion/etc was 50m away, you could try and scare it. But if you were attacked from behind, then there's no point?
    Exactly, a mountain lion's MO is to attack the neck from above/ behind. Then what are these guys with holsters gonna do? I read a thread similar to this that argued maybe a knife is better than a gun.
    Again, any of these scenarios are VERY unlikely.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I stand corrected. Open carry for the win!

And to the OP, since the correct answer has not yet been stated. I suggest the Awesome Strap.

No known cure
    This is what I use when riding solo in remote areas, although in CA the magazine cant be inserted in the magwell. The libs need to give criminals an upper hand to kill you. You'd go to jail here for having the mag inserted longer than the guy who assualted you, who'd just get a cite release
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

No known cure
    I see bears all the time. I've seen one mountain lion and several bobcats. They've all run from me. I live in a backwards ass state where they let criminal out of jail because of the virus, but sent a boat out to apprehend a lone surfer.

I've only had one animal come at me. A golden retriever bolted from a front yard. I put the bike between the dog and I and he quickly came around just in time for the toe of my size 45 Sidi to connect with it's jaw. The owner watched the entire thing and had the nerve to call me out for the follow up kick.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Been damn near run down by a mountain lion. That was my front yard. All I was doing was getting the mail and the trash cans.

I go to work at 5am it is still dark out. My car is in the garage 100 ft away. Two days ago the neighbors spotted a mountain lion with two cubs. Am I going to carry something with me when I walk out to my car? Yes.

I wasn't even in the country when I was attacked by dogs. It was Mesa. That's even worse then out in the country.

Firearms are not allowed in most parks with trails. Now I ride with the bear spray water bottle in some places. But if I am hiking around my house sure as shit I have something on me.

S&W 69 2 snake shot then 3 .357

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    Been damn near run down by a mountain lion. That was my front yard. All I was doing was getting the mail and the trash cans.

I go to work at 5am it is still dark out. My car is in the garage 100 ft away. Two days ago the neighbors spotted a mountain lion with two cubs. Am I going to carry something with me when I walk out to my car? Yes.

I wasn't even in the country when I was attacked by dogs. It was Mesa. That's even worse then out in the country.

Firearms are not allowed in most parks with trails. Now I ride with the bear spray water bottle in some places. But if I am hiking around my house sure as shit I have something on me.

S&W 69 2 snake shot then 3 .357
    Yeah I think you probably should be packing. Glad that dog didn't get you worse. Honestly I don't own a handgun. I've transported a shotgun on a bike, but only as a thing that I'd take out of the case when I got to my squirrel hunting spot.

However recent events have made me wonder if I want a handgun, it maybe an AK.
    dang

mtbr member
    Any suggestions?
    Which walther?
    Probably more exposed than small-of-the-back carry but have you looked at ulticlip with a kydex IWB holster on the hip or just behind? The IWB makes it a little more secure and the ulticlip doesn't require a belt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    A gun is a tool just like any other. It's not a magic wand. If you fancy having it with you on a ride then take it.

Personally the small of the hip is okay, but falling on it anywhere is not going to feel good.
    Wouldn't recommend anywhere near the spine that's for sure.
    I think shoulder/chest area is most likely the best it can be given the possibility for a crash or an unexpected animal attack. If not worried about surprise attack, just put it in your pack.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Scary stuff, there was a sighting just yesterday in my neighborhood. And then a couple of weeks ago about 1.5 miles from me an attack. Theyíre definitely getting more frequent in sightings and attacks around Colorado.
    We have them here as well. We have for ages, the Game and Fish wouldn't admit it but that's another story (if they don't exist you don't have to devote resources to managing them ) but they are becoming more and more common. I think it's due to an abundance of prey animals, no resource contention and no natural predators.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Today while walking around the block of my house I had a coyote run by me on the sidewalk. Sucker didn't even give me a second look.

Hail Satin!
    I commute to work with a gun for a few reasons. I've been what my society deems a responsible person. So I have retained my rights (IE no felonies) to carry guns.
    I like guns. Like bicycles they are mechanically beautiful.
    In the two years I've lived here (Phoenix) I've had 4 people try to rob me or steal my bike (once when my two toddlers were in a trailer)
    While riding in South Mountain (a very populated trail system) I've takin short naps (Fyou I'm old) and been awoken to Javelinas (it looks like a pig. But genetically is closer to a rat. And they hunt in packs) nibbling on my fingers.
    My carry now is a Walther PPQ. It's little big, but my god it fits my hand perfect. And the trigger. Butter, just butter.
    To those not in the know. Very few hand guns will go off if you drop them. I dropped my old Ruger P93 off of a ~200 cliff in Utah. And it didn't go off. So there's no chance it'll go off with me falling.
    I just always back carry. I like thigh holsters for hiking and stuff. But not bike riding. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out a few of those chest holders.

mtbr member
    I've takin short naps (Fyou I'm old) and been awoken to Javelinas (it looks like a pig. But genetically is closer to a rat. And they hunt in packs) nibbling on my fingers.

It doesn't matter to me if you carry a gun or not but this^ needs clarification. Javelinas don't hunt in packs, in fact they don't hunt at all. They're herbivores and mostly eat cactus.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    This is what I use when riding solo in remote areas, although in CA the magazine cant be inserted in the magwell. The libs need to give criminals an upper hand to kill you. You'd go to jail here for having the mag inserted longer than the guy who assualted you, who'd just get a cite release
    if that magazine law makes a mountain lion eat you then we've all done well

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I would liked to have had my pistol on my when I got attacked by a pack of wild dogs riding last June. would have saved me from ER bills and multiple trips for rabbies shots.
    You would shoot a dog? Wild or not, they are better than humans and Trump and global warming and blah, blah, blah...

Hail Satin!
    Well then I guess I'm the first person to ever be bit by those bastards then. But those herbivores stalked, attacked, killed and ate part of my neighbors bog.
    And I nap because I'm way out of shape. and I work nights. So most time when I go riding I'm awake for about 16-20 hours beforehand.
    And honestly. It's peaceful and calm out there. Pretty relaxing. And I mostly because of the shitty neighborhoods I ride through on my way to work.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I have a pistol. I just keep it in my house for protection against intruders. I live in a big town with lots of crazies. I go camping in the wilderness a lot and the ONLY reason I bring it is because of other people. Some guys I work with argue that a coyote could attack. I argued the fact that only a few cases of coyotes killing humans have ever been recorded, but we kill 400,000 a year. Almost 100 years ago the government tried to systematically eradicate coyotes and that mindset still exists to this day unfortunately.

mtbr member
    3 maulings and 2 fatalities in the Cascades just last year. One of them right in the system I ride all the time. I started riding with a knife on my shoulder strap for backcountry rides just to have something. I've never ridden or hiked with any type of weapon before and have been in close proximity to griz many times. I think there are certain areas where having spray is just plain wise. Like NDD said I've never owned a firearm before, but given where I live and what's currently going on it also seems wise.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    You would shoot a dog? Wild or not, they are better than humans and Trump and global warming and blah, blah, blah...
    Yes. I am a dog lover but when there are 6 or 7 large dogs trying to kill you would you just ask them for forgiveness and attack you? They are not someone's poodle that got out, they are real wild dogs.

Don't be a moron and attempt at bringing politics into something where it isn't necessary. Please grow up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Before this current "rash" of mountain lion attacks, the last recorded fatality was 2008! Do you guys know how many people die from bee stings? Look, I'm just saying the numbers don't match the paranoia.
    That being said, if you live in an area with high activity like DJ or Whalenard, it might make you feel better to carry something. I would actually like to ride with you guys since I've never seen one in the flesh.

mtbr member
    Did someone say PPQ?
    That pistol shoots itself.
    Closest I ever came to bump firing a handgun, LMAO.
    Thatís just how sweet the reset is in that trigger.
    The other shooter is an old Nikon.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Had a little spill. Fell on my gun. Hurt like hell. Holster suggestions?-untitled-44.jpg  

Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    Nice backstop.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    Nice backstop.

lol, I was thinking the same.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Quote Originally Posted by BALE View Post
    Before this current "rash" of mountain lion attacks, the last recorded fatality was 2008! Do you guys know how many people die from bee stings? Look, I'm just saying the numbers don't match the paranoia.
    That being said, if you live in an area with high activity like DJ or Whalenard, it might make you feel better to carry something. I would actually like to ride with you guys since I've never seen one in the flesh.
    Iím 58 years old. Iíve been an avid outdoorsman all my life. 44 years of that Iíve lived in or around Mountain Lion habitat. Southern California and Colorado and Iíve never seen one. Iíve had close encounters with tracks and caches deer carcasses after a fresh kill but Iíve never seen one. Been on the same trail and passed the same section a day before one killed a lady in 1994 east of San Diego. We hiked that trail many times and never felt uneasy. This particular hike both of us commented that we felt we were being watched. We just may have been seeing how a lion chased a human down and killed her the day after.

Another time I was in the high country of Colorado on an elk hunt. My buddy and I arrived to our hiked in campsite. Set up the tent and went to bed. The next morning we opened the tent to a foot of fresh powder. Started our hike to get to our hunting vantage point and came across lion tracks 100-150í or so from our campsite. The tracks circled our tent but the lion never came into camp. We never saw that lion. They are a very elusive critters. They see us way more that we see them.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    You two can come down, check it out in person and give me some advice.....
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

mtbr member
    I saw a mountain lion run across my backyard just yesterday. I've come across one on a ride a long time ago. We both turned around and went the other way.

Not wildlife related,

Anyone here in California with a CCW?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Iím 58 years old. Iíve been an avid outdoorsman all my life. 44 years of that Iíve lived in or around Mountain Lion habitat. Southern California and Colorado and Iíve never seen one. Iíve had close encounters with tracks and caches deer carcasses after a fresh kill but Iíve never seen one. Been on the same trail and passed the same section a day before one killed a lady in 1994 east of San Diego. We hiked that trail many times and never felt uneasy. This particular hike both of us commented that we felt we were being watched. We just may have been seeing how a lion chased a human down and killed her the day after.

Another time I was in the high country of Colorado on an elk hunt. My buddy and I arrived to our hiked in campsite. Set up the tent and went to bed. The next morning we opened the tent to a foot of fresh powder. Started our hike to get to our hunting vantage point and came across lion tracks 100-150í or so from our campsite. The tracks circled our tent but the lion never came into camp. We never saw that lion. They are a very elusive critters. They see us way more that we see them.
    Couple of chilling stories there. I've seen 3 in person.

First was while elk hunting in Idaho. We setup a base camp, and then backpacked from there onto a ridge top to have a certain vista at first light, and while hiking back out in the morning we saw a big cat. Probably 12 -14 ft from snout to tip of tail. I was the middle of 3 guys, and caught a good glimpse over my father's shoulder, cat was probably about 50' away when we saw it. It looked at us for a second, and then just kinda trotted/loped off.

Second sighting was deer hunting in central Oregon. Just hiking through the timber, caught a glimpse of a long tail, then a moment later saw the whole cat. Probably a juvenile cat, didn't look as large as the first one I saw, but I really only got a glimpse.

Last time I saw was was also in Oregon, elk hunting in the same place I was deer hunting. Driving back to the cabin one evening, in the headlights, saw one run across the road. It stopped long enough for us to get a good ID that it was a cat, but not long enough for us to really look at it. Long tail is the key factor for IDing.

It is eerie seeing something in the wild that can literally rip you to shreds on a whim. Glad I was carrying a rifle both times I saw one outside of a vehicle. I now live in the SF Bay Area, and as such don't really ride in places that they are frequently seen. I don't carry a gun when I ride, but I do carry a 5" folding knife strapped to the shoulder strap on my camelbak. Peace of mind, or snack tool, meh.

Iíve also had many skink encounters, never as close as the story I told above. I wasnít then, nor am I today willing to take that gamble on whether they feel the need to hold their shot in or release it. 

You donít want to be on the business end of a skunk having had to deal with a dog that got sprayed and a vehicle, I nearly hit a skunk but managed to keep him between the tires as I went over him. He sprayed the undercarriage of the car, numerous car washes but that lingering smell lasted a month or so.
    Almost ran over a skunk a few days ago on my way to work - was really surprised that it didn't actually spray my car (successfully, anyway). Car in front me swerved around something, I thought it was a paper bag or something, until I saw movement. I was pretty close when I realized what it was, and by then, it was too late. Tail up, butt pointed out, ready to fire. "Oh sh**" as I kinda swerved around it, but not far enough. The inside of the car smelled like skunk for the next 20 minutes of my drive, but fortunately was almost worn off by the time I got to work. I walked around the car, and could smell nothing outside, and saw no signs of the oil/funk/whatever. By the time I left for home, no lingering smell or any signs of skunk at all. Got lucky!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Back on topic, I donít like holsters for riding. I keep the top of my zipper on my Backpack slightly open for quick emergency access. Not the best but it will have to do.
    Iíd throw a rock at a mountain lion and scream. Just donít run. Lions are chicken. Unless heís got his teeth on you already. lol.

Bears are different. You better be ready for anything.

In heavily hunted areas you wonít have a problem. They will be scared. Itís in no hunting zones you have problems.

People can be an issue . Lol.

I canít imagine not having a piece.

Sheople.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by smashysmashy View Post
    - Moose, the same. they will charge lights, and no handgun is getting you out of that. otherwise, harmless.
    .44 Magnum and .454 Cassul, among others, will both function as stop guns. Now is someone going to carry something that big is another question.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    You sure that wasn't a tiger? Mountain lions are big but not that big. I've no doubt it seemed so at the time though.
    Funny how Big the What Ifs get on both sides of this argument.

As for that 14í Cat, he musta been eating some of my Fish.....

If you donít think you need to defend yourself, no problem.
    Ok, so 14' might be a bit exaggerated, but it was a huge cat, haha. I was less than 50' from it, and had a clear, unobstructed view. Easily dwarfed the few I've seen stuffed.

As for the do/don't carry, meh. I would rig a holster into a frame bag or find a holster that attaches to my camelbak. Or go western style and just mount a long softcase on the top type, carry a shotgun. It would have to be pretty zombie apocalypse status for me to carry on my bike though, just not worth the weight/hassle for such a low chance of incident.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyStein View Post
    Ok, so 14' might be a bit exaggerated, but it was a huge cat, haha. I was less than 50' from it, and had a clear, unobstructed view. Easily dwarfed the few I've seen stuffed.
    Thanks for admitting you were a bit off on the size of that cat. I understand that any critter that can cause death to a human looks twice the size in a fleeting adrenaline filled glimpse. Great stories though and consider yourself very lucky to have had three encounters in the wild.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Before this descends any further (and it's gone pretty low).

Regardless of your opinion on carrying firearms in an open carry state its not illegal to ride with a gun. Therefore if someone wishes to ride with their gun they can, and I'd rather they did it safely with a good holster than with some mickey mouse setup that could potentially kill or injure themselves or a passerby if they fell/crashed.

Lets keep it on topic please.

One ring to mash them all
    There was a snake outside my front door this morning. But it was just a little black and white king snake. No worries.
    I had a pet king snake for a while, it was pretty docile and (when my mom was at work) I'd let it explore the living room while I watched TV or did homework. 10/10 would own again.

Speaking of snakes on the front porch, one positive of all this social distancing has been the absence of door-to-door solicitors.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

mtbr member
    Yea king snakes are cool. I hear the eat rattle snakes

Had 2 guys come by my parents house last week selling solar panels.

mtbr member
    I released a brown snake while reading this.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    Before this descends any further (and it's gone pretty low).

Regardless of your opinion on carrying firearms in an open carry state its not illegal to ride with a gun. Therefore if someone wishes to ride with their gun they can, and I'd rather they did it safely with a good holster than with some mickey mouse setup that could potentially kill or injure themselves or a passerby if they fell/crashed.

Lets keep it on topic please.
    Did you consider my post to have 'descended'? Is that why you deleted it? I actually said that I did not deny anyone's right to carry while riding, just that I thought it was not worth it and that bear spray was better. If that means having descended then your version of what is ok and not does not compute with mine. That was one of the most overriding conclusions many reached when we had this interminable debate years ago.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Did you consider my post to have 'descended'? Is that why you deleted it? I actually said that I did not deny anyone's right to carry while riding, just that I thought it was not worth it and that bear spray was better. If that means having descended then your version of what is ok and not does not compute with mine. That was one of the most overriding conclusions many reached when we had this interminable debate years ago.
    I see that some of my comments got the chop too. Wow, super touchy mods!
    Carry on (see what I did there).

mtbr member
    The OP asked for carry suggestions, not your opinion whether you should carry or not. Thats the topic

High Desert MTBer
    The OP asked for carry suggestions, not your opinion whether you should carry or not. Thats the topic
    I believe that to carry or not is relevant too. The OP hurt himself by landing on his weapon, so it is absolutely relevant as to whether it is worth carrying in the first place. If our thread posts are being limited by 'touchy mods' to staying to what they consider to be 100% on topic, then they better start deleting hundreds of thousands of posts.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    I believe that to carry or not is relevant too. The OP hurt himself by landing on his weapon, so it is absolutely relevant as to whether it is worth carrying in the first place. If our thread posts are being limited by 'touchy mods' to staying to what they consider to be 100% on topic, then they better start deleting hundreds of thousands of posts.
    Nope it is not. He didn't ask if it is worth carrying....It is only relevant to you since you are against it.

Anyways OP here is another option
    https://www.511tactical.com/holster-shirt.html

Pipe Dreamer
    I'm thinking about riding with a sword.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    flamethrowers are legal in california...just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Please do.

I was joking, calm down.

mtbr member

This little 9 allows for easy safe pocket carry. Though it is in a slightly modified 1911 configuration, it is easy enough to carry a full magazine with an empty chamber. Sometimes you have to rethink what you carry to develop a suitable carry option. Stiffer Carhart shorts add a measure of suitability for pocket carry.
    The video above will give an ample background.
    The video below gives some carry options.

High Desert MTBer
    Nope it is not. He didn't ask if it is worth carrying....It is only relevant to you since you are against it.
    And that is just your opinion. Like assholes, we all have one.
    It's all Here. Now.

On a side note -- if future archaeologists ever do a dig on Hickock45's property, they're going to wonder what in the hell battle took place in the 2000s.
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Something tells me he'd go the way of Donnie in the Big Lebowski in a real confrontation.

Life's a Garden, dig it!

This little 9 allows for easy safe pocket carry. Though it is in a slightly modified 1911 configuration, it is easy enough to carry a full magazine with an empty chamber. Sometimes you have to rethink what you carry to develop a suitable carry option. Stiffer Carhart shorts add a measure of suitability for pocket carry.
    The video above will give an ample background.
    The video below gives some carry options.
    It's a .380. I picked one up a couple of years ago.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    It comes in 9mm also. P938.

mtbr member
    Well Iíll be, must be getting old, meant 938.....
    Here ya go

Mine is actually in the picture a few posts up next to the PPQ.
    There are other options if you prefer striker fired in a compact 9, and improvements in ammo have made the 9 from smaller pistols a bit more viable as a self defense round.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Yeah, I think the .380 is only 95 grains where the 9 is like 115-125, so a bit more punch.

I had a P226 when I was in the academy years ago, but got rid of it once I decided to not pursue that line of work. Other than a couple of Smith revolvers, the 238 is the only other handgun I have. Was thinking about the PPK, because I've always liked them. The 238 is a nice alternative to the Walther.

All that aside, I cannot fathom ever carrying while riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    In 9mm I like the 147's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Chest rig for trail, but would ride concealed for urban riding.

mtbr member
    Deer are a problem around here. Probably should pack my Howitzer.

Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Something tells me he'd go the way of Donnie in the Big Lebowski in a real confrontation.
    I actually like watching him. He's smart, informative, humorous, self-deprecating, with hardly any political BS. I especially liked his videos on the history of military firearms (revo war though present).
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Iím not sure why anyone would not like the guyís presentation.
    He was an English Teacher for Christís sake.
    If you want a clear rundown on a firearm in an entertaining way his videos are hard to beat. Itís pretty clear the guy can shoot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    I actually like watching him. He's smart, informative, humorous, self-deprecating, with hardly any political BS. I especially liked his videos on the history of military firearms (revo war though present).
    Couldn't get past the opening bit.

mtbr member
    Gotta have a sense of humor, and an open mind helps as well.
    Everyone who owns, shoots, carries, and appreciates firearms is not some clown with a Rambo complex.

His sense of humor gets a bit corny sometimes but you probably didnít give him much of a chance to overcome the old confirmation bias.

The first few times I watched I thought, "he really has it in for Kentuckians" from some of his mild trash-talking. Finally I saw an episode where he said he was born and raised there.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I watched a couple of his videos previously, including the review of the Sig P238. I like the guy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    .44 Magnum and .454 Cassul, among others, will both function as stop guns. Now is someone going to carry something that big is another question.

That .454 is heavy, but little bro carries one from time to time.
    I think there are some high quality chest holsters for such things.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Had a little spill. Fell on my gun. Hurt like hell. Holster suggestions?-81ec8073-adaf-45d8-a9d7-f40c78ac744c.jpeg  

mtbr member
    I own a Sig P238 and a Kimber Micro 9. If I were to take one on the trail it would be the P238. I carry with +P loads and the Kimber has a good snap to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Had a little spill. Fell on my gun. Hurt like hell. Holster suggestions?-7910006260_14e74805bf_c-small-.jpg  

Had a little spill. Fell on my gun. Hurt like hell. Holster suggestions?-imgp8052-small-.jpg  

Bucksaw, Farley, and a Sturgis....

NDD
    mtbr member

Everyone who owns, shoots, carries, and appreciates firearms is not some clown with a Rambo complex.
    I think you mean not everyone is, rather than everyone is not.
    dang

I just got laser sights for my pea shooter. Much lighter of a weapon for carrying on the bike. I also recently got a western style hip holster for it.

Name:  9E9E0D91-07F9-41D4-AF94-9ACB60D3023F.jpeg
Views: 52
Size:  35.1 KB

mtbr member
    Just remember to blow and not suck
    DAAAANG...that was janky

mtbr member
    Compared to 22 other high-income nations, the U.S. gun-related homicide rate is 25 times higher.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Compared to 22 other high-income nations, the U.S. gun-related homicide rate is 25 times higher.
    And there are other metrics of crime that are significantly lower so I'm not sure what sure what you think cherry picking that single statistic means?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir kayakalot View Post
    Just remember to blow and not suck
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    And there are other metrics of crime that are significantly lower so I'm not sure what sure what you think cherry picking that single statistic means?

Nothing.....

mtbr member

Crimes? Oh. Would you rather look at gun deaths instead of homicides ? Thatís the only more relevant metric I could think of. Cherry pick, nah, just the most relevant.
    FWIW I donít have a problem with people having guns. Just with many of the whack jobs that do
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Nothing.....
    You canít even control yourself from posting. Have a gun ?
    Round and round we go

All fat, all the time.
    Crimes? Oh. Would you rather look at gun deaths instead of homicides ? Thatís the only more relevant metric I could think of. Cherry pick, nah, just the most relevant.
    FWIW I donít have a problem with people having guns. Just with many of the whack jobs that do
    I'd say there are more whack jobs that are driving vehicles that are way more unsafe than those owning guns.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I'd say there are more whack jobs that are driving vehicles that are way more unsafe than those owning guns.

Well than thank goodness we do something smart like test, license and insure them
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Well than thank goodness we do something smart like test, license and insure them
    You don't have to go through a background check to buy a car from a dealer

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    You canít even control yourself from posting. Have a gun ?
    Careful Meat, lest you get your ass censored by "driver bob".
    The funny thing about his post is that no one is questioning the legality of carrying.
    I thought this was a mountain biking website.

mtbr member
    You don't have to go through a background check to buy a car from a dealer
    Youíre right, background checks wouldnít do much
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    All my weapons are registered. I have been tested and have a licence to carry. I rarely do but it's nice to have the option.
    Bucksaw, Farley, and a Sturgis....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcriverjunky View Post
    All my weapons are registered. I have been tested and have a licence to carry. I rarely do but it's nice to have the option.
    Cool, while we can argue what state does what for Ďtestingí letís push that aside. And say insurance is the next logical step. As you need proof of insurance to register a car.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BALE View Post
    Careful Meat, lest you get your ass censored by "driver bob".
    The funny thing about his post is that no one is questioning the legality of carrying.
    I thought this was a mountain biking website.
    It is a mountain biking site, BUT itís also off camber, which is what makes it the best sub-forum on the MTBR site.
    DAAAANG...that was janky

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Cool, while we can argue what state does what for Ďtestingí letís push that aside. And say insurance is the next logical step.
    You OK with getting speaking insurance?

mtbr member
    You OK with getting speaking insurance?

Lol
    Second amendment good. First amendment bad
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Lol
    Second amendment good. First amendment bad
    That's not what I said and you know it. You even made the logical connection between the two and didn't like the implications.

mtbr member
    That's not what I said and you know it. You even made the logical connection between the two and didn't like the implications.

I have no idea what you just said
    Hope op got some good options for holster, if indeed thatís why he started the thread
    Round and round we go

banned
    Apr 2010
    I used a bike to get to a remote trail cam yesterday. So the bike was more of an access tool, versus going for a ride. The kenai chest holster with an xd works awesome when you are hiking. The weight is balanced and you don't know it is there. When riding, you are hunched over and you can feel the weight pulling off of your chest.

On another note, healthy looking wolf. I seen his tracks in the snow on my way in, but did not see him, but got a good shot of him on my trail cam.
    I am begginng to think i will need to pack on my own propery. City folk move into the country and there protection dogs just roam. I have had 2 shitty encounters in 3 weeks. Bear spray would be the preferred weapon to pack.

I will say when you run in to a pack of wolves, you do start wondering if you should pack some form of weapon. The great thing about the USA, you have the choice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Had a little spill. Fell on my gun. Hurt like hell. Holster suggestions?-ek003652.jpg  

All fat, all the time.
    Nice shot!

Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    The great thing about the USA, you have the choice.
    *cries in californian*

Process aside, the ability to get a CCW permit here varies widely by county. You're supposed to provide a "good cause statement." In some counties a simple "muh rights" will get you a permit, while in others you can show a stack of documented evidence of threats against your life and that still may not be enough.

Not an expert, but I did leave my phone charger at a Holiday Inn Express last month.
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Cool pic Tim
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcriverjunky View Post
    I own a Sig P238 and a Kimber Micro 9. If I were to take one on the trail it would be the P238. I carry with +P loads and the Kimber has a good snap to it.
    I like those smoothed edges on the Kimber.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Has anyone used the gun on mountain lion?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Has anyone used the gun on mountain lion?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Had a little spill. Fell on my gun. Hurt like hell. Holster suggestions?-3763ffe9-89c6-4eb8-b902-f5d33e1b9de8.jpeg

mtbr member
    When Iím riding a mountain lion, I never carry my gun.
    DAAAANG...that was janky

I've stabbed plenty of cougars, but never carried a knife.
    Go Fact Yourself.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Mmm mountain loin
    dang

All fat, all the time.
    So far me 4, cats 0.
    No weapons.
    Shark ftw.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    https://youtu.be/dQ69MYZW8Mc

This guy has some cc tips.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    I've stabbed plenty of cougars, but never carried a knife.
    I think you meant 'poked'.

Quote Originally Posted by not2shabby View Post
    I think you meant 'poked'.
    Shanks for the correction.
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deerkiller View Post
    https://youtu.be/dQ69MYZW8Mc

This guy has some cc tips.
    Youíve been Trumped....

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Sorry if this has been asked before but why the heck would you want to carry a firearm while riding a bike?

Quote Originally Posted by hambocairns View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked before but why the heck would you want to carry a firearm while riding a bike?
    Predators that have been known to attack and kill humans.
    For example: Mountain Lions, Grizzly Bears, Black Bears, Squirrels and other humans.