Gregg Allman- Mtbr.com

Thread: Gregg Allman

I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

High Desert MTBer
    And another one... It is distressing to hear this. I've been listening to him most of my adult life, even tho not a huge fan. He had Hep C a while back, and a liver transplant fairly recently. That disease is a sleeping giant. I found this out myself a few years ago too. I was luckier as there are some good new drugs now, and I would suggest anyone who has not yet done it, get a hep test done asap, especially if you are of a certain age, and survived the 60s, 70s & 80s...
    It's all Here. Now.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    If there's a heaven, there's one hell of band being formed right now. The original Allman Bros. band were a force to be reckoned with.

Cycologist
    I was just in my car and heard the DJ say "remembering Gregg Allman" as they started up Whipping Post. Noooooo!

I never much cared for the Allmand Brothers as a kid but I came to really like them starting about 20 years ago when I picked up a used live CD.

RIP
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

banned
    Ahh, shit. I knew as soon as I saw your heading. He'd been in poor health lately.

Goddammit.

Thank you for the many, many years of great music, Mr. Allman.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    If there's a heaven, there's one hell of band being formed right now. The original Allman Bros. band were a force to be reckoned with.
    I doubt it. Gregg said himself "I'm No Angel."

mtbr member
    I just love the "Live at the Fillmore East" album.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby Woof (MCM700) View Post
    That one goes to 11.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Love his music. These last two years has been seen too much tragedy in the music industry.

One of my favs. R.I.P. Gregg.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Hi There!
    Fillmore East is good, but I picked up a live album called "SUNY at Stonybrook 9/19/71" and it kicks major butt. The original lineup. It's got 'Blue Sky' on it, my favorite ABB song.

It also has a really good article about the concert and there's a picture of the contract inside as well...they were paid $6,000.
    NTFTC

"Stonybrook" upstate N.Y.? ^^
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGweed View Post
    Fillmore East is good, but I picked up a live album called "SUNY at Stonybrook 9/19/71" and it kicks major butt. The original lineup. It's got 'Blue Sky' on it, my favorite ABB song.

It also has a really good article about the concert and there's a picture of the contract inside as well...they were paid $6,000.
    Back in '71, 6k was $3,537,199.

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    "Stonybrook" upstate N.Y.? ^^
    Yessir.
    NTFTC

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Back in '71, 6k was $3,537,199.
    The CPI inflation calculator says it was "$35,959.41"...which is still a heck of a lot of money for a gig.

Sad to hear. I can get down with some early Allman Bros.
    dang

Yessir.
    Many a camping trip taken in my youth.

9 lives
    The Allman Brothers were the inspiration and the somewhat biographical story behind the film Almost Famous. Cameron Crowe was 16 years old when he interviewed Gregg Allman for Rolling Stone.

How Gregg Allman Keeps Allman Brothers Going After Duane's Death - Rolling Stone
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Another great one is gone, RIP.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby Woof (MCM700) View Post
    I found this yesterday: The Fillmore Concerts - The Allman Brothers Band | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

A good idea that worked out even better, with one small caveat. The Fillmore Concerts is made up of performances from the two Fillmore shows that originally comprised Live at the Fillmore East and the concert portions of Eat a Peach, plus one track ("One Way Out") from a Fillmore show from a couple of months later. The 16-track masters from each show are transferred to digital and remixed by original producer Tom Dowd.

The sound is sterling and the two-hour-plus running time makes this a dream for fans of the band, as well as an improvement on the original releases of this material. It is also a slightly less honest release, where "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" is concerned -- Dowd edited the version here together from two different performances, first and second shows, the dividing line being where Duane Allman's solo comes in. Not that this is the only concert album where this kind of editing has been done, but the original Live at the Fillmore contained a single take of the song, and some purists may prefer that.

Otherwise, this set runs circles around more than 99 percent of the guitar albums ever released, with breathtaking sound (which, unlike the similarly conceived but less effective Derek & the Dominos Live at the Fillmore, loses none of its bite), and most fans might as well start here.

Pretty cool find.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Yessir.
    No, that would be Long Island

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    And another one... It is distressing to hear this. I've been listening to him most of my adult life, even tho not a huge fan. He had Hep C a while back, and a liver transplant fairly recently. That disease is a sleeping giant. I found this out myself a few years ago too. I was luckier as there are some good new drugs now, and I would suggest anyone who has not yet done it, get a hep test done asap, especially if you are of a certain age, and survived the 60s, 70s & 80s...
    Yes, and unfortunately, he died because of his liver cancer. And you are right, HCV and liver disease are sleeping giants.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

Quote Originally Posted by angelo View Post
    No, that would be Long Ga Island

Fixed that for you.

He was too important in the music industry to let this thread slide into oblivion.

One of my favorites, RIP Gregg.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I saw ABB perform about 10 years ago at Red Rocks in Denver - it was an amazing concert. I mountain biked all day in Breckenridge and then reluctantly drove into Denver to see the concert because I was tired and didn't feel like dealing with the drive and traffic. So happy I went. Saw them again about 7 years ago in Dallas with Widespread Panic and that was probably a top 10 concert of all time for me. Greg had a very distinctive voice and really that southern jam sound is still one of my favorites to hear live. RIP Greg

mtbr member

I saw some great concerts at SUNY at Stony Brook. But I was still in HS when that one happened. I got my BSME there. I saw Hot Tuna and John Mclaughlin & the Mahavishnu Orchestra there too.