mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Getting my first tattoo

I'm going to be getting my first tattoo in a couple of weeks and wanted to check with other riders to see if it will be an issue with riding.
    I'm planning to get it on my shoulder blade and will be off the bike for a few weeks during the healing process. But is this still an okay spot for long-term quality of the tat? I wear a camel bak whenever I ride so was worried about the constant rubbing and the impact that will have in the long run. Hopefully I'm worried over nothing.

AZ
    banned
    Once it is healed (no scab) there is no problem.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    It will be fine, no need to be off the bike for more than a day or two, if at all.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Bro Mountainbiker
    Dude, next week Im gonna get a skull on my skull.

Its gonna be sweet
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Endo King
    It's no worse than a sunburn IMHO. You should be good to go. Hell, I went on a 4 day Back pack trip after I got mine on the SB.
    "I didn't surrender. They took my horse and made him surrender..."
    -Chief Lone Watie

live long and huck
    Choose well, they're forever. They're also addictive. How many people do you know with just one?
    Low and slack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    No problems once they are healed. I put sunblock on mine in the sun to help prevent fading but thats about the only thing I do to care for them. It should be pretty well healed after 4-5 days.
    I don't know what your artist will tell you to put on it while healing but don't use A&D ointment like a lot will tell you. Get something meant for tattoos like tat wax or tattoo goo. It will heal faster, bleed less ink while healing, and look better once healed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Choose well, they're forever. They're also addictive. How many people do you know with just one?
    sorry to derail this thread, but i actually know a lot of people with just one. my gf got one a while ago, and now kinda regrets/ is indifferent towards it. i've got a cousin too who got one done and now just wishes he had all the money he put into it back, and says he wouldn't get another. gf is 21 and cousin is like 30, so maybe they will later in life, but who knows.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    ugh, don't do it. think back 15 years to what you would have put on yourself then, and imagine having it now. and if you are thinking of something more generic, then what's the point in having something that a lot of other people have already. just my way of looking at it. post pics when you get it.

mtbr member
    I used A&D, never had an issue. My ink looks great even after 7 years.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    i have one....

just one....

Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The best advise I ever got about dealing with a new tatoo is take the Hottest shower you can stand within a few hours. Once you get past the initial Pain, it feels Awesome! And will help with not getting scabs... Then no lotion for a day or two (till it gets a little dry) then unscented lotion (cheap lubriderm) in moderation till its healed...

live long and huck
    3, done in Twentynine Palms almost 30 years ago, 2 can be covered by a short sleeve shirt for those times that tats may not be appropriate, USMC almost always visible and definitely always appropriate.
    Low and slack.

Members who have read this thread: 0