The gearhead personality type and their mode of communication- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    XC iconoclast
    Reputation: richj8990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    2,001

    The gearhead personality type and their mode of communication

    As with all forums, there are multiple groups of experience levels, talent levels, knowledge levels, etc. for whatever the forum is about. Mountain biking is no exception. One of the things I find frustrating online (and sometimes in real life, in a local bike shop or auto shop) is the level of communication about how and why a certain object (like a bike part) works or doesn't work, why it works better than another part, etc. Every technical field has its jargon, but if someone is good at what they do, they should be able to explain to the layperson in clear, simple terms what a component does, why it's needed, and why it's better than the component it replaced, whether it replaced that other component a month ago or 50 years ago. I've noticed that 'gearheads' for all of their technical knowledge, can't explain a lot of stuff on a simple, common sense level. And that's a shame. So many of the misunderstandings and arguments on here (and many, many other technically-oriented websites) are due not just to a lack of proper communication, but a sort of 'cut-off' explanation of one side's opinion. I've seen it on here, quote "It's not that hard, you figure it out" for an explanation. That's not an explanation. Why is this? Well, allow me to humbly define the gearhead personality type: ISTP, the Mechanic.

    ISTP stands for Introverted, Sensation, Thinking, Perceiving. Mechanics tend to be ISTP's. I won't go into introverted descriptions, too much because it will raise way more questions than it answers. But you may find it interesting that introverts gain their psychic energy by being alone, and extroverts gain it by being around others. This is why many introverts come across as arrogant or rude. It's not that they are really that way all the time, it's just that they don't care about needing the same level of social interaction as extroverts, and the more cynical introverts look at extroverts as psychic vampires looking to drain their mental energy at any chance. Maybe that's obvious but it won't be to many people.

    Sensation is basically a grounded personality type, a linear thinker (don't get me wrong, that can be a very good thing). Sensation is opposed to iNtuition or N, which is possessed by the more artistic, entertainment-oriented types, or some scientists in fields that are very open like Physics and natural or social sciences. Engineering and chemistry are more sensation-oriented sciences. Thinking means objective evaluation of a situation and then a rational decision or conclusion; this can change if more information is provided later after the evaluation. This is opposed to Feeling which makes a non-logical value judgment of a situation (as in girl A doesn't like girl B 'just because').

    Perceiving is not that easy to explain but in my opinion it basically means the person is more patient and looks for all options in the evaluation of something compared to Judging. Judging is making a decision about something relatively fast and with a practical bent. J vs. P didn't even exist in psychology until after Carl Jung died in 1956, but that doesn't mean J vs. P To give a couple examples about Judging vs. Perceiving: Plato was P, Aristotle (his student) was J. After Plato died, Aristotle gave many theoretical and idealistic Platonic examples and called most of them 'absurd' because they were not practical. The other example: I'm INTJ but for some reason tested INTP originally. When I went into one of their sites, I saw them arguing for days over how many atoms fit on the head of a pin. I was like WTF this is so...not me. That's when I knew I was not INTP.

    So for the mechanic, ISTP, the S and the T are very good for learning technical details, and the P for exploring all options, but I've realized that the I and the P hinder effective communication to others that are not as knowledgeable. The S causes Gearheads to bury themselves in details (a good thing for them) but not a good thing for explaining an overview of something, or 'square 1'. They tend to jump right into details, and other gearheads will oblige, but it doesn't help matters when someone is trying to understand the big picture of what they are talking about and go from the general to the specific. An English teacher once told our class that you could be the most brilliant person in the world, but if you don't effectively communicate your message, no one will ever know. A little more overview on the technical discussions on here would go a long way for the rest of us mere mortals.

    One last thing: when someone one here disagrees with an opinion (or even a fact), they should really explain exactly why that other opinion or 'fact' is wrong and provide some type of concrete evidence. Just saying "You are wrong" and not backing that accusation up with evidence is wrong in itself. You could be the most experienced and knowledgeable mountain biker of all time, but that doesn't give you the excuse of being intellectually lazy in your responses and explanations. Back up your opinions with logical evidence and facts. It's not a hard thing to do. It takes another minute or two and a few more sentences.

    For example, on an automobile site I suggested that people don't buy a certain used sports car because it's very slow by today's standards (0-60 in 8.4 seconds). I told them that a rear-drive 240SX may be better and it's a bit faster. Someone blew a fuse and said there is no way a four-cylinder is faster than a 5-speed overhead-cam 6-cylinder car. Well, that was an assumption that's wrong. Six cylinder front-drive cars tend to have crappy torque, and four-cylinder cars tend to weigh less. So even if the 6-cylinder car has 222 horsepower, and the four-cylinder only had 155 horsepower, in this example it was lighter, had shorter gearing, and the rear-drive had a better torque curve, so it was a bit faster overall. That guy also didn't know that the 240SX had two overhead cams and was also a 5-speed. And I provided race evidence of this from a real 0-60 test. That shut the other dude up pretty fast. EVIDENCE, people, it is very helpful!!! We live in an era where the media has all kinds of BS articles and reports about anything you "want" to see and hear. Again, that is no excuse not to be scientific in your technical explanations. Don't stoop to the level of the idiots out there pretending to know things they do not know, or even worse, stating lies just to further their own agendas. Be above them by providing solid evidence of your opinions in a clear, simple layout. You just might end an argument in a civilized fashion. And if the other people still don't understand or agree, you did your best, move on, and don't bother with their stubborn intellectual resistance.

  2. #2
    Co Springs
    Reputation: bachman1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,361
    I imagine some of the gear heads have very specific talents yet the "how and why" may elude some.
    Others, just may not have the time, patience, communication or interpersonal skills. It just isn't in their deck of cards. I do enough shopping as a consumer (as we all do) to not often take advisement or opinions on face value which means I'm usually researching a bit on my own if I hadn't already.

    That said, the shop owner or mgr should have the sense to bridge that gap and be the one to link it all together. This is how I would solidify my reputation as a trustworthy shop and it's also how I could sometimes up-sell when a part or product can be shown to offer better value even though it may be more expensive.

    I'd even go as far as to say I've known techs or specialists that are so backward of social skills and tact that it's a blessing they don't often interact with customers directly but they are still very talented or worthwhile techs.

    It looks like your ref to ISTP answers some of the questions you put forth, mostly.

    As for the automotive considerations, yeah, in a nutshell it's often horsepower to weight ratio and I tend to be the one who does indeed cite sources for information, specs, test results etc... In my experience, unless you wish to fuel an on-going banter for years to come, the best alternative is to shut it down or at least bring closure backing things up with fact and citing sources.
    Last edited by bachman1961; 07-10-2017 at 05:34 AM.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

  3. #3
    Hi There!
    Reputation: TheGweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,662
    I haven't had that issue with my LBS or mechanic that I can remember, but if I did I would solve it like this:

    "Can you explain that in layman's terms?"
    NTFTC

  4. #4
    Fart smeller
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    17,504
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGweed View Post
    I haven't had that issue with my LBS or mechanic that I can remember, but if I did I would solve it like this:

    "Can you explain that in layman's terms?"
    Could someone explain the OP's post in layman's terms?
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

    "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

    Heather Heyer

  5. #5
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,981
    The Myers-Briggs Personality Test Doesn't Actually Mean Anything


    It's as accurate as using zodiac signs for explaining personalities
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  6. #6
    Rabid Lana Fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,914
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    The Myers-Briggs Personality Test Doesn't Actually Mean Anything It's as accurate as using zodiac signs for explaining personalities
    You're a Taurus, aren't you?
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    11,033
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    ...if someone is good at what they do, they should be able to explain to the layperson in clear, simple terms what a component does...
    I can't beleive that you are complaining about other people over-complicating things and have taken twelve-hundred words to do it!

    In a nutshell, I think you are wrong. Completely. On the whole I think that when people answer technical questions on here they do a good job of explaining the issue in simple terms. This doesn't come as a surprise because, on the whole, bicycles are quite simple things. Sure, sometimes people are told to Google a Youtube video but what's wrong with that? Why spend time trying to explain an adjustment procedure in words when a video already exists that is much clearer?

    I think you're trying to construct a straw man here because you have an argument against it in your head already. I certainly don't think it's a significant problem on this forum, or even a problem at all. Now let's see if you can follow your own rules and make your reply length slightly less ridiculous than your question? ;0)

  8. #8
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,939
    Part of the problem is that some things just make sense to some people. So much so, that they can't understand why it doesn't make sense to you.

    I've been working on cars since I was 4 years old, believe it or not. Mechanical things just make sense to me. It's so ingrained in me that it's usually way easier to just do something myself rather than watch someone struggle with something "so simple".

    That being said, I spent several years writing assembly procedures for mechanical assemblies in high tech products. I got pretty good at training and explaining techniques to newbs and teaching them how to use tools and hardware.
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

  9. #9
    Hi There!
    Reputation: TheGweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,662
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    The Myers-Briggs Personality Test Doesn't Actually Mean Anything


    It's as accurate as using zodiac signs for explaining personalities
    In Japan they use blood type. When I first found that out I thought it at least made more sense.
    NTFTC

  10. #10
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    3,593
    How much time do I really need to spend explaining how a DX heat pump operates, when it involves an unloading scroll compressor unloading in multiple stages with a variable speed blower and head pressure control system? At what point am I giving "layman's terms" and just dumbing down a very complicated system that doesn't even ACTUALLY communicate how it works better then your old air conditioner?

    How much time do I need to spend explaining how a Detroit unit injector system and explain how it is so much simpler than a central pump system, or electronic?

    Sometimes shit is just complicated, and layman's terms just don't cut it. You just need to learn for yourself how it works, or trust the experts. And yes, I am pretty damn well familiar with the physics of how refrigeration systems work. I can tell you all about gas laws and how they are effect by different operating conditions and why an expansion device doesn't work properly in low ambient conditions, and how high humidity effects the effective output in sensible air temperature. But really, I'm just going to tell you to go take a college chemistry because I don't want to play professor today.

  11. #11
    ****** to the dirt
    Reputation: deke505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,122
    Is there a coles notes for this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    240
    Or CliffsNotes, if you are south of Canadia.....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,248
    Holy shit Batman, thats a lot of words!

  14. #14
    Co Springs
    Reputation: bachman1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    How much time do I really need to spend explaining how a DX heat pump operates, when it involves an unloading scroll compressor unloading in multiple stages with a variable speed blower and head pressure control system? At what point am I giving "layman's terms" and just dumbing down a very complicated system that doesn't even ACTUALLY communicate how it works better then your old air conditioner?

    How much time do I need to spend explaining how a Detroit unit injector system and explain how it is so much simpler than a central pump system, or electronic?

    Sometimes shit is just complicated, and layman's terms just don't cut it. You just need to learn for yourself how it works, or trust the experts. And yes, I am pretty damn well familiar with the physics of how refrigeration systems work. I can tell you all about gas laws and how they are effect by different operating conditions and why an expansion device doesn't work properly in low ambient conditions, and how high humidity effects the effective output in sensible air temperature. But really, I'm just going to tell you to go take a college chemistry because I don't want to play professor today.
    Spend as little time as necessary and make sure it IS necessary !

    Or just tell them you don't trust them either and they must provide their professional credentials along with a few $1000 words !
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

  15. #15
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,392
    I know some of those words.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-01-2016, 07:15 PM
  2. Personality test - how creepy is its accuracy and depth?
    By Varaxis in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 08-12-2016, 09:57 PM
  3. giant reign float shock climb mode feels same as descend mode
    By mobilenemo in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-21-2014, 03:26 PM
  4. Quick and effective trail jargon, quotes and communication.
    By zicked in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-06-2013, 01:50 PM
  5. Fellow Gearhead Dads, I Need 24" Thoughts...
    By NS-NV in forum Families and Riding with Kids
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-27-2012, 09:32 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.