Thread: Friday the 13th

mtbr member

Friday the 13th

I don't usually put much stock in things like Friday the 13th, but so far, this one seems to be living up to its reputation. I'm a volunteer fire fighter and so far we have had a single fatality car crash and I just got home from fighting fire for the last 7 hours at a triple fatality apartment fire.

So...even if you don't believe, be careful out there today. Everyday, but especially today.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Seeing as my birthday has always been on July 13th, Iíve put aside all superstitions. My sisterís birthday is on February 13th, yet sheís a vegan, so I think that fate has itís way with her no matter what.
    Uh oh! Someone just stole your KOM!

barely a mtbr
    Great day for us, as well. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Our son's birthday is on the 13th, we got married on the 13th,our first house was on 113th street, we paid 113k for that house, etc.

We're fine with it. But thanks for the PSA.

The White Jeff W
    <--- Born on Friday the 13th
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 07-14-2012 at 09:41 AM.
    No moss...

Give it a crank
    I always wanted to know where the 13th superstition originated, did Dracula have something to do with it?

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I don't usually put much stock in things like Friday the 13th, but so far, this one seems to be living up to its reputation. I'm a volunteer fire fighter and so far we have had a single fatality car crash and I just got home from fighting fire for the last 7 hours at a triple fatality apartment fire.
    Coincidental occurrences

mtbr member

meow meow
    i dont put much stock in it either but i have been run down and had a headache all day so...

High Desert MTBer
    Friday 13th 1975 I had a bad motorcycle crash, and was lucky to escape with injuries that left me battered and scarred for life, but alive. Since then I have tried to not ride on Friday 13th, so yesterday I took care of the things I might have done today which entailed riding the motorbike. A few miles from home some guy in a truck pulled into my lane without looking and I narrowly avoided getting sideswiped after some hard swerving myself. Not 1/4 mile after that, another older guy in a sedan did the exact same thing, and once more I managed to avoid him. On my way back from the meeting I went to, I was just thinking that these things usually go in threes, and was taking care. Not a couple of minutes after that, a guy pulling a huge 5th wheel trailer swung from the outside lane across my lane without indicating, to pull into a driveway. I was accelerating from an intersection, and saw his turn at the last possible moment. I have been riding for many years, and I guess instinct took over, as I managed to turn in time under maximum braking to be running parallel to him as he pulled in, but then the trailer caught up and pulled me by the back of the bike and my helmet into and underneath it. Thankfully, just as I knew there was no way to avoid getting rolled over by the trailer, he heard my shouts, and stopped. I managed to hold the bike up all the time, and apart from some minor cosmetic damage, I was shaken but not stirred! Just goes to show that my superstition might be unfounded... it was July 12th after all.
    When I got home, by brother called me from Australia, and told me to be careful out there as it was Friday 13th... I guess it was, over there...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    I was born during a terrible thunderstorm with tornados, and there was a power outage and a fire inside the hospital...nothing to do with Friday 13th, but I'm not very superstitious. I did learn today, however, that apparently there are people who kill or harm black cats on Friday 13th...say a warning on Facebook about it saying to bring your black cats in for the day. Kind of pathetic in my opinion. Guess we should start witch hunting again as well.

banned
    Got married on July 13th (Friday) It has been the best day for me and my wife. Bought our first house on the 13th. We first met on Oct 13th.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Seeing as my birthday has always been on July 13th, Iíve put aside all superstitions. My sisterís birthday is on February 13th, yet sheís a vegan, so I think that fate has itís way with her no matter what.
    Haaa, funny, my daughter's bday is today also! We had a fabulous day which consisted of heading to the beach to escape the heat and humidity. We also hit the zoo while we were there. It was gorgeous at the beach today!

Happy bday, LP!
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I did learn today, however, that apparently there are people who kill or harm black cats on Friday 13th...say a warning on Facebook about it saying to bring your black cats in for the day.
    Those individuals would hurt/kill animals regardless of the date, Friday the 13th is just too convenient of an excuse.

Members who have read this thread: 0