Free Will?

Printable View

• 05-10-2020
    Cornfield
    Free Will?
    Anyone use these free will sites like Freewill.com? Any recommendations?

With the lock-downs being eased I've been trying to stress the importance of social distancing, keeping hands clean, using common sense, etc to my parents as they start to go out more. I even went as far as inquiring about their wills if the should end up on a ventilator to try and wake them up a bit.

Now I'm also thinking maybe I should look into preparing my own will just in case. What have y'all got going on in that department?
  • 05-10-2020
    Carl Mega
  • 05-10-2020
    Finch Platte
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 05-10-2020
    Cornfield
    Can you guys get serious?

*questions Picard would ask*
  • 05-10-2020
    DIRTJUNKIE
    If you donít have kids or siblings you donít need a will. If you own a substantial amount of property worth money then yes get one made up and put my name as the beneficiary.
  • 05-10-2020
    mileslong
    I don't own much but I know where I want it to go and that's why I have a will. I also have an advanced health care directive and a health care proxy in case I can not make my own medical decisions my wishes are recorded and will be carried out.

Everybody should have at least that much, use the free ones they work as well as any other just be sure to get those documents notarized and distributed to potentially interested parties i.e. PCP, spouse , children etc.
  • 05-10-2020
    Cornfield
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I don't own much but I know where I want it to go and that's why I have a will. I also have an advanced health care directive and a health care proxy in case I can not make my own medical decisions my wishes are recorded and will be carried out.

Everybody should have at least that much, use the free ones they work as well as any other just be sure to get those documents notarized and distributed to potentially interested parties i.e. PCP, spouse , children etc.

Good info, thanks! I will look into an advanced health care directive, looks like there's free services for that too.

Can one still sell their body to medicine for some righteous bucks?
  • 05-10-2020
    Phillbo
    Yes but those righteous bucks are a bitch to spend.
  • 05-10-2020
    Bacon Fat
    If you or your parents have significant assets, then it is best to have the will and possible trust done by an attorney. There could be significant tax implications that may not be addressed by a free will
  • 05-10-2020
    Cornfield
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Yes but those righteous bucks are a bitch to spend.

Pretty sure you get paid right after you sign your body over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    If you or your parents have significant assets, then it is best to have the will and possible trust done by an attorney. There could be significant tax implications that may not be addressed by a free will

We don't have significant assets, at least not yet, we haven't sold our bodies.
  • 05-10-2020
    net wurker
    Lana Del Rey's chair.

(fine assets there)
  • 05-10-2020
    Coal-Cracker
    Free Willy?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
  • 05-10-2020
    rockerc
    I have minimal assets now, so I made a thing called 'Five Wishes'. It can be sent from an organisation called the Casa de la Luz Foundation, and addresses such things as who will make important decisions if I am incapacitated; Medical treatment options and who decides if I cannot; How comfortable I want to be; How I want people to treat me; and what I want my loved ones to know.
    This is a notarized document with witnesses, and will clarify those difficult decisions our loved ones must take. My wife will disburse what I do have, almost solely to my daughter, and I fully trust her to do this with my best wishes to heart. My wife also has the ability to make decisions as to the winding up of my company, if I do not do this before my passing.
    I have seen so much infighting and squabbling over money after the death of some people close to me, and watched it tear families apart. There is a part of me that is quite happy I have very little! I'd hate to leave discord behind. My wife, BTW, will be OK. My daughter has a career that brings her joy, and a husband who does the same and works hard to keep things going too. I am happy they will be OK too :) If not, then like the rest of us have done, they will learn thru experience and not make the same mistakes twice. I have successfully taught her that much at least!
  • 05-10-2020
    Finch Platte
    Quote:

Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Lana Del Rey's chair.

(fine assets there)

You've crossed the line there, Mister.
  • 05-10-2020
    matt4x4
    You can write a will on a napkin and sign it, if you so wish.
    A kit is one step up.
    How much would it cost to get a lawyer to review the will, vs a kit package?
  • 05-10-2020
    DIRTJUNKIE
    I will not.
  • 05-10-2020
    Leopold Porkstacker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post

Thank you sir, for this post, as it saved me from spilling forth from my Rush-riddled mind lines and lines of lyrics from that awesome song! :band: :cornut:
  • 05-10-2020
    Cornfield
    I give up, sheesh.
  • 05-10-2020
    Cornfield
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I will not.

Such a wordsmith! :rolleyes:
  • 05-10-2020
    Cornfield
  • 05-10-2020
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Willfully not.
  • 05-11-2020
    Crankout
    Who gets the bikes?
  • 05-11-2020
    MOJO K
    My wife was a chief clerk in probate court and later worked as a consultant in a law firm. I have a lock box stuffed full of documents for every conceivable situation. Besides the will, we have power of attorney documents all over the place to cover us, the kids, and grandkids.
  • 05-11-2020
    chazpat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post

Can one still sell their body to medicine for some righteous bucks?

I'm donating my body to science fiction.
  • 05-11-2020
    DIRTJUNKIE
    You will, I tell you, you will.
  • 05-11-2020
    tim208
    cornfield
    my wife and i just went thru the process. You do feel a little better, knowing what you want will get done, vs what others might want(state or family members).

it is worth doing for the piece of mind.
  • 05-11-2020
    Cornfield
    Yeah, I'll just have to look at the different options/sites and figure out which ones we will use.

Maybe I will check out some reviews.
  • 05-11-2020
    net wurker
  • 05-11-2020
    Cornfield
    Whoa!
  • 05-11-2020
    matt4x4
    Everything is fine and dandy until the will is contested and the family in-fighting aint good.