since 4/10/2009

forced e-mail list subscriptions?

I stopped by a video store the other day to rent a couple movies. I haven't visited in awhile, but I've been a card-holding customer for almost 4 years...basically the day I moved here.

at any rate, on checkout, the store clerk wanted my e-mail address for ads and crap. I told him "no" that I did not want to provide him with my e-mail address. He pushed the issue. I told him I would not give him my e-mail address. he pushed some more. "all you have to do is unsubscribe when you get the first message" I wasn't going to go hunting for another place to rent the videos I wanted, I just wanted to check out and be done. he finally shut up when I told him to put bob@bob.com in there. Is this crap permissible?

Regardless, they've seen my last dollar. I'll just get all my movies online from Amazon Instant, Hulu+, or Netflix now.

bob@bob.com is probably well sick of all the spam I've signed him up for by now.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Poor bob@bob.com.

My instinct is that we live in the US and they're a private company, so they can come up with all kinds of stupid things to demand that you do if you want to do business with them. You don't have to agree, of course.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Ride More, Work Less
    Poor bob indeed. You did the right thing, though.

Another nasty store practice is those frequent shopper cards. In exchange of a few dollars off, you get to have your shopping profiled and sold. I now just ask if the clerk has a card to use so that I get the discount but not the junk mail.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Poor bob indeed. You did the right thing, though.

Another nasty store practice is those frequent shopper cards. In exchange of a few dollars off, you get to have your shopping profiled and sold. I now just ask if the clerk has a card to use so that I get the discount but not the junk mail.
    hehehe, yeah I pulled a "fast one" for my Kroger card, too.

I got mine when I lived in a ghetto apartment for 3mo before buying my house. I'm keeping that card forever. plus, with being the first owner of the house, the grocery store doesn't even have that street address in their database from previous residents. the junk mail I get comes from other sources, but many days, I actually get NOTHING.

at petsmart, I have a card from a previous address but lost it. they usually have one behind the counter to scan so I get the discount, anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just use old addresses or phone numbers for their spamming needs. I have a store card where I use an old phone number and the store clerk always says "thank you Mr xyz" with a funny look on their face as I look nothing like the people with my old phone number now.

Tool
    This is exactly why my junk email address is: byte-me@<domain>.com

When strangers ask for my email address, I simply reply, "Bite me." After a brief Laurel and Hardy moment, I spell the address for them. If I like the people I'm dealing with I'll start by spelling the address.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Is not amused
    This video made me think of your post NateHawk.

NSFW

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7EyUiHkEcYs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by Hutch3637; 04-05-2012 at 08:45 PM.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I have a junkmail acct for just that type of stuff... the address is actually that... Junkmail@#####.com all the crap goes there and I never see it unless i actually want something and then I can use web mail and do a search.

A junk mail acct is highly reccomended, even for just online shopping or filling out forms.. what ever.. safe that way and if something scary comes along you just cancel/delete it and make a new one... Junkmail1@###.com
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    too true.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    That video needs a NSFW tag please!!
    Opened it in front of my young daughters. Almost had to explain a few things there
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Is not amused
    My bad.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

Members who have read this thread: 0