Results 1 to 65 of 65
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229

    Foes FXR or Engagement Ring?

    My gf told me she would be pissed if I bought a mountain bike before I got her a ring. Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Bro
    Bro is offline
    Content from my avatar
    Reputation: Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,355
    You can buy a cheap ring and hope she doesn't notice the difference between that and a nice ring.

    Or you can buy a cheap bike and know she won't know the difference between that and a good bike.

    I think the answer is clear.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,859
    I have a $3300 1.5kt ring im looking to dump for very cheap Buy it, save a bunch, and buy a bike!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I have a $3300 1.5kt ring im looking to dump for very cheap Buy it, save a bunch, and buy a bike!
    Sorry it didn't work out. Pics? PM me.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    74
    4 posts in and this thread is hilarious already . . . Carry on.

  6. #6
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,926
    Get her a ring and get your bike at the same time. She won't notice the difference between a good and bad bike, so she think you paid the ring $3 000 and only $500 the bike
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  7. #7
    Titanium junkie
    Reputation: Loudviking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,429
    What's more important, getting laid or wacking off in the bathroom.
    It's your penis, do with it what you will.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

  8. #8
    clown question, bro
    Reputation: zeppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    What's more important, getting laid or wacking off in the bathroom.
    It's your penis, do with it what you will.
    ^ This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,930
    Ask 10 married men that you know and trust, all over the age of 40.... "is the f*cking you're getting, worth the f*cking you're getting?" You'll be surprised how many of them say no. Figure it out from there... any gal that lays an ultimatum down has you and your life compromised.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    119
    Do you already own a bike?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    What's more important, getting laid or wacking off in the bathroom.
    It's your penis, do with it what you will.
    I think you meant "What's more important, getting laid or riding a Foes FXR" since the dilemma was whether I should get a ring or a bike. Or maybe you meant "Would you rather get laid or wack off (if you don't get her a ring)" right?

    In any case, I don't think either decision will affect my bedroom privileges. Getting too much as it is. Everyday for 1 year straight now. Sometimes I need some rest.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by Flats View Post
    Do you already own a bike?
    No. I had a Made in Taiwan Hardtail with Rock Shox Jett XC with Shimano Alivio components when I was 17 and had to sell it when I was 22 when I had to leave the Philippines to come to Canada. I haven't had a bike since and I've been dreaming of getting an FXR since 2007.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Get her a ring and get your bike at the same time. She won't notice the difference between a good and bad bike, so she think you paid the ring $3 000 and only $500 the bike
    Only problem is the bike costs $6000 and the ring will probably be between $2500 to $3500.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Ask 10 married men that you know and trust, all over the age of 40.... "is the f*cking you're getting, worth the f*cking you're getting?" You'll be surprised how many of them say no. Figure it out from there... any gal that lays an ultimatum down has you and your life compromised.
    It's not really an ultimatum.. more like a half joke..but she would be pretty bummed if I spent 6000 on a bike and not get her a ring first which would cost way less. Idea is that I loved myself and the bike more than her. We already talked about marriage a long time ago so it's not like she's pushing me. And it's just that I've been telling her I was saving up for a ring, which is true..but if I get the bike first..then well, like I already explained before..

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,770
    Tell her you'll be pissed if she doesn't get you an engagement bike.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    Tell her you'll be pissed if she doesn't get you an engagement bike.
    Now why didn't i think of that before? lol

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    28
    You might get more 'tang for a little while from the ring, but you might get more fun from the bike for longer.

    Your call.

  18. #18
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    What's more important, getting laid or wacking off in the bathroom.
    It's your penis, do with it what you will.
    And marriage helps with this, how?
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

  19. #19
    S&G CREW
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    267
    If shes smoking hot, treats you great and makes good money buy the ring.If not buy the bike thats what i wouldve done if i couldve turned back the clock.

  20. #20
    Registered text offender
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I have a $3300 1.5kt ring im looking to dump for very cheap Buy it, save a bunch, and buy a bike!
    ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  21. #21
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,554
    she would be pretty bummed if I spent 6000 on a bike and not get her a ring first

    Why do you need a $6000 bike? With that $$$ you could get a very nice bike, a nice ring and still have $ left.
    No moss...

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    737
    You can buy a ring and confirm her wants are greater than yours and prepare to suffer or buy a bike, dump her and live happily ever after.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    90
    she would be pizzed if you bought a mtb?

    buy a cross bike instead.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    120
    Another option is that you buy the ring, have a wedding but make sure she knows you're taking some/all of the proceeds and buying a bike.

  25. #25
    better than I deserve
    Reputation: roblee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    478
    The ring is a waste of money plain and simple.If she needs an expensive ring to be with you just don`t comply.It won`t make someone loyal,it won`t make someone love you or not love you,it won`t make you magically live happily ever after or get a divorce. It`s a ring a status symbol nothing more.

  26. #26
    Wēk Ss
    Reputation: IAmHolland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,043
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    any gal that lays an ultimatum down has you and your life compromised.
    Quote Originally Posted by roblee View Post
    The ring is a waste of money plain and simple.If she needs an expensive ring to be with you just don`t comply.It won`t make someone loyal,it won`t make someone love you or not love you,it won`t make you magically live happily ever after or get a divorce. It`s a ring a status symbol nothing more.
    +1 to these above.

    It sounds to me like you're having relationship issues already. "buy me a ring or else..."

    What's to say that she's going to stay with you any way, or if it's even going to work out? Unless you've been shacking up for 15 years and she finally wants to tie the knot to legitimize the bastard offspring in the relationship, I think women that ask for this stuff is out of line.

    Marriage is not about ultimatums. Relationships that start that way will probably end in divorce (my perspective). I'm married, 40+, married for 16 years. I don't recall ever having received any ultimatums, nor did I give any.

    If she means less to you than a bike, then that pretty much sums it up. The ultimatum is meaningless.

  27. #27
    Sweep the leg!
    Reputation: Caffeine Powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,803
    engagement ring? f-that. If a simple band isn't enough she needs her priorities checked. Ask her if she'd rather have the cost of the ring applied to outstanding debt or a home.

    As for the shock, my wife would tell me to man-the-fock-up and get back on the rigid singlespeed.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

  28. #28
    Beer Me!
    Reputation: Guerdonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,106
    Quote Originally Posted by jon777 View Post
    It's not really an ultimatum.. more like a half joke..but she would be pretty bummed if I spent 6000 on a bike and not get her a ring first which would cost way less. Idea is that I loved myself and the bike more than her. We already talked about marriage a long time ago so it's not like she's pushing me. And it's just that I've been telling her I was saving up for a ring, which is true..but if I get the bike first..then well, like I already explained before..
    I would say don't get her a ring till you are actually ready to get married. I think the "date to be determined" engagements are silly, and pointless. If you not ready, your not ready. I tell my guy friends you should want to marry the girl, not feel pressured into it. If she knows you were saving for the ring, and you blow the cash on a bike, i could see why she would make the assumption of you caring more about something else. Would at least warrant a "im not ready" conversation.

    Quote Originally Posted by jon777 View Post
    Getting too much as it is. Everyday for 1 year straight now. Sometimes I need some rest.
    You lucky lucky Dog, i have never been in the "too much" situation.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Why do you need a $6000 bike? With that $$$ you could get a very nice bike, a nice ring and still have $ left.
    I wish the bike wasn't 6000..but a Foes FXR with a floating brake, Curnutt air and 150/12 rear thru axle is about 3100 from Adrenaline. With their Champion build kit with XT components which I upgraded with XT brakes and Fox TALAS 160 fork it's abouy 6000 altogether.. just didn't wanna half ass it..im putting it on my line of credit anyway..lol rather than upgrading parts in the future..more waste of money IMO...

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by roblee View Post
    The ring is a waste of money plain and simple.If she needs an expensive ring to be with you just don`t comply.It won`t make someone loyal,it won`t make someone love you or not love you,it won`t make you magically live happily ever after or get a divorce. It`s a ring a status symbol nothing more.
    She doesn't want an expensive ring.. she's not like that. She just really wants to marry me. I do too. I joked with her about getting her a $100 ring and she said "Sure!".

  31. #31
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,774
    I dont know where you are in life or financially, but $6k nest egg at a start of a marriage will do you more good than not. Most fights are about money. I remember thinking I would save money by marriage--shared rent, utilities, food, etc. Somehow, it didnt turn out quite as I planned.

    I would recommend buying a bike (or a you gift) when you are expecting your first child. That will help take the edge off the next few years where it is not about you anymore.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    +1 to these above.

    It sounds to me like you're having relationship issues already. "buy me a ring or else..."

    What's to say that she's going to stay with you any way, or if it's even going to work out? Unless you've been shacking up for 15 years and she finally wants to tie the knot to legitimize the bastard offspring in the relationship, I think women that ask for this stuff is out of line.

    Marriage is not about ultimatums. Relationships that start that way will probably end in divorce (my perspective). I'm married, 40+, married for 16 years. I don't recall ever having received any ultimatums, nor did I give any.

    If she means less to you than a bike, then that pretty much sums it up. The ultimatum is meaningless.
    Not the case at all. I never said she said "Buy me a ring or else.." and she didn't give me any ultimatums.. pissed sounds like a strong word but she was just saying she won't be happy if I bought the bike before the ring bec I was saying I'm saving up for the ring..if I then turn around and buy a bike which is way more expensive than a ring and then don't get her a ring I think you can understand her displeasure..we've been talking about marriage for a long time..

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I dont know where you are in life or financially, but $6k nest egg at a start of a marriage will do you more good than not. Most fights are about money. I remember thinking I would save money by marriage--shared rent, utilities, food, etc. Somehow, it didnt turn out quite as I planned.

    I would recommend buying a bike (or a you gift) when you are expecting your first child. That will help take the edge off the next few years where it is not about you anymore.
    Well, I am putting aside for savings every paycheck so I am building my nest egg too. I will be putting the cost of the bike on a line of credit so I'm not out of 6k right off the bat. I got a pretty low interest rate and I can pay it off in 6 months so it's ok.

    I don't understand the recommendation of postponing on getting the bike until we're expecting a child. Wouldn't that be more financially challenging? I feel like it's better to do it now while I don't have any obligations then I can get it out of the way..

  34. #34
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,774
    ^^
    If you are getting married soon and are not currently living together, you are going to need art instead of posters, window treatments other than 9.99 plastic mini blinds, towels you can use to wipe mud off your floor, a washing machine to quickly clean the towel you were not supposed to use... Cash instead of credit for these homemaking items will save you grief.

    As for the pre birth bike, you will never afford a kid but the kid will be the center of your wife's world. People will arrive bearing gifts for the kid. The kid will make a dent in your wallet. Life will change. If you reward yourself with a gift it will give you a little outlet and will make it easier to swallow.

    This advice was given to me. I bought a home theater system since I figured I wouldn't be making the movies. That turned out to be very true.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

  35. #35
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,901
    Buy the bike now. Although my wife doesn't give me a hard time about buying new bike stuff. If you work then it shouldn't be an issue.

    I wouldn't put a bike on credit and pay interest, but thats just me.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Buy the bike now. Although my wife doesn't give me a hard time about buying new bike stuff. If you work then it shouldn't be an issue.

    I wouldn't put a bike on credit and pay interest, but thats just me.
    Yeah ideally I wouldn't either but I am being weak right now as I've wanted a Foes for 5 years and I'm not paying too much interest. It's 6% annually and I can pay it off in 6 months. So Interest per month would probably be about 30 bucks.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    ^^


    As for the pre birth bike, you will never afford a kid but the kid will be the center of your wife's world. People will arrive bearing gifts for the kid. The kid will make a dent in your wallet. Life will change. If you reward yourself with a gift it will give you a little outlet and will make it easier to swallow.
    That's exactly why I want to buy it before I get a kid so that by the time I have a kid I won't have payments to make on the bike. More cash for me at that time.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    841
    I get that the Foes is your dream bike and you are at the point where your adrenaline is pumping because it's within your reach. But take a breath. Do you really 'need' your dream bike now, especially if you have to use credit to afford it? Is there another bike that will give you 95% of the fun at a fraction of the price (the Stumpy Enduro EVO for example)? Personally, I'm glad I didn't spring the huge bucks for my 'dream bike' years ago because my riding style changed and technology improved and my dream bike today is not the same bike that it was then. Don't overextend yourself. Even if the interest rate is low, you're reducing your disposable income by $1k per month for the next 6 months. That's a lot of $$.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,279
    your request for validation is interesting, op. forgiveness or permission. i say do what scares you. hehe
    Last edited by 53119; 04-17-2012 at 10:55 AM.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229


    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    your request for validation is interesting, op. forgiveness or permission. i say do what scares you. hehe

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96 View Post
    I get that the Foes is your dream bike and you are at the point where your adrenaline is pumping because it's within your reach. But take a breath. Do you really 'need' your dream bike now, especially if you have to use credit to afford it? Is there another bike that will give you 95% of the fun at a fraction of the price (the Stumpy Enduro EVO for example)? Personally, I'm glad I didn't spring the huge bucks for my 'dream bike' years ago because my riding style changed and technology improved and my dream bike today is not the same bike that it was then. Don't overextend yourself. Even if the interest rate is low, you're reducing your disposable income by $1k per month for the next 6 months. That's a lot of $$.
    Yeah I know..but I just feel like if I don't do it now I'll never do it. I'm 28, not getting any younger. I kept telling myself I would get it "next year" and that was 5 years ago. Next thing I know, I'll have to pay for a wedding, buy a house, have kids, college fund etc etc etc.. or maybe I'll get cancer next year and be bedridden and regret that I never got my dream bike when I had the chance. I know it's probably rationalization on my part but hey, you only live once. If worse comes to worse, I will sell my Civic (which is my other car) and pay the bike off if I need to. Not to brag, but $1000/mo to pay towards this bike is pretty doable for me. I'm also putting anywhere from 500-1500/mo in savings, after expenses. I can wait 6 mos and pay cash but to me that's the same story. Whether I spend it now or 6 mos later I'm still spending pretty much the same amount overall. I just need to get it before June so I can ride it for summer. We have very short summers here in Edmonton, Canada.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    [QUOTE=Guerdonian;9213378
    You lucky lucky Dog, i have never been in the "too much" situation.[/QUOTE]

    Well I had a pretty looong dry spell before this..so... lol

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    So here's an update in case anyone is actually interested. I bought a 2010 FXR directly from Foes for $2000 complete bike, discounted because it was a demo bike but it's in very good condition. Now my gf likes to play on my smartphone, this Fruit Ninja game, and she read my emails.. and found out I bought a bike.. I was not really trying to hide it from her but I didn't tell her either.. she was pretty upset, not because she didn't get the ring first (she didn't even bring that up), but because I didn't tell her about a major purchase and that she felt $2K was extravagant for a bike.. "Why do you need a bike like that you're not even a pro???" LOL women, right? hahaha anyway, I explained to her that it's been my dream bike for years, that it's a great discount etc etc etc and all is good.

    I guess "All is well that ends well."

  44. #44
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,324
    Quote Originally Posted by jon777 View Post
    So here's an update in case anyone is actually interested. I bought a 2010 FXR directly from Foes for $2000 complete bike, discounted because it was a demo bike but it's in very good condition. Now my gf likes to play on my smartphone, this Fruit Ninja game, and she read my emails.. and found out I bought a bike.. I was not really trying to hide it from her but I didn't tell her either.. she was pretty upset, not because she didn't get the ring first (she didn't even bring that up), but because I didn't tell her about a major purchase and that she felt $2K was extravagant for a bike.. "Why do you need a bike like that you're not even a pro???" LOL women, right? hahaha anyway, I explained to her that it's been my dream bike for years, that it's a great discount etc etc etc and all is good.

    I guess "All is well that ends well."
    Post pics!

    Of the bike, also.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mattyrides07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    176
    Bike!!!!

    "Dream like you'll live forever, but live like you'll die today."
    -James Dean

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Post pics!

    Of the bike, also.
    lol pics of what?

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyrides07 View Post
    Bike!!!!

    "Dream like you'll live forever, but live like you'll die today."
    -James Dean
    Love that quote! That's my philosophy in life.. it was something introduced to my by my boss when I was doing sales..

  48. #48
    Suckin wind like a boss
    Reputation: big terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,680
    fail. should have gotten the FOES and gotten what you really wanted. now you have a compromise that you are going to second guess forever, and $2K farther away from getting your REAL dream bike.

  49. #49
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,324
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    fail. .
    reading comprehension?
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

  50. #50
    Suckin wind like a boss
    Reputation: big terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    reading comprehension?
    no, he got a demo bike and not the custom one he put together. saved 4g$ but didnt get his dream ride. no lack of comprehension at all.

    lack of grammatical clarity, maybe.. but its been a long day.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    fail. should have gotten the FOES and gotten what you really wanted. now you have a compromise that you are going to second guess forever, and $2K farther away from getting your REAL dream bike.
    LOL try reading the very first line of my post..

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    no, he got a demo bike and not the custom one he put together. saved 4g$ but didnt get his dream ride. no lack of comprehension at all.

    lack of grammatical clarity, maybe.. but its been a long day.
    The main part of the "dream bike" was the Foes FXR with the Curnutt Shock.. I did achieve that. Parts can be swapped out later. No biggie. I am actually happy that it came with a 2009/2010 Float RC2 because it's apparently better than RLC for DH.. I don't care so much about the wheels, stem, saddle etc.. I might slowly upgrade the grouppo so that it will all be XT/XTR later..but not a big deal..it's got XT/SLX right now..

  53. #53
    Suckin wind like a boss
    Reputation: big terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by jon777 View Post
    LOL try reading the very first line of my post..
    totally went over my head. been a long 18 hours...

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,770
    Good for you Jon777. I personally think you made a well balanced decision. You got yourself a sweet "almost dream" bike, saved some $$$ and also didn't succumb to the ultimatum...yet!

    But, we would like to see a picture of this new ride. Unless of course you are making this whole thing up to get attention

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sasquatch rides a SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,565
    Quote Originally Posted by roblee View Post
    the ring is a waste of money plain and simple.if she needs an expensive ring to be with you just don`t comply.it won`t make someone loyal,it won`t make someone love you or not love you,it won`t make you magically live happily ever after or get a divorce. It`s a ring a status symbol nothing more.
    +1!

  56. #56
    Beer Me!
    Reputation: Guerdonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,106
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    But, we would like to see a picture of this new ride. Unless of course you are making this whole thing up to get attention
    Another vote for a picture.
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    LOL! It is still with Foes, they are repainting it... I will post pics as soon as I receive it, maybe 3 weeks from now.. I will post it in the Foes forum but I will post here to notify whoever is still subscribed that I've posted pics..

  58. #58
    Don't worry, be happy!
    Reputation: formica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,013
    Female point of view ( also married 30 years, owns more bikes than my husband)
    The ring thing is total commercial construct created by bridal magazines and the jewelry industry. The formula for how much ring you "should" be able to afford) was created by diamond marketers. Sentiment and symbols, my ass. It's about selling jewelry along with the whole 25K wedding concept. Bottom line is,
    Quote Originally Posted by roblee View Post
    The ring is a waste of money plain and simple.If she needs an expensive ring to be with you just don`t comply.It won`t make someone loyal,it won`t make someone love you or not love you,it won`t make you magically live happily ever after or get a divorce. It`s a ring a status symbol nothing more.
    Couldn't have said it better.


    as for

    Quote Originally Posted by jon777 View Post
    but because I didn't tell her about a major purchase and that she felt $2K was extravagant for a bike.. "Why do you need a bike like that you're not even a pro???" LOL women, right? hahaha anyway, I explained to her that it's been my dream bike for years, that it's a great discount etc etc etc and all is good.

    I guess "All is well that ends well."
    Yikes, you can't talk about a big purchase ahead of time now? Financial sneaking, disagreement, and lack of support for each others interests will kill relationships. If you can't agree on a budget, communicate for and plan major purchases, support each other's money sucking hobbies without complaint, you might be in for tough times.

    But what do I know? Female happily married a very long time, many toys, that none were surprises or secret purchases mutually owned and money in the bank.

    edit... my view on diamonds and 25K weddings is not the "norm" but it works for me.
    Last edited by formica; 05-09-2012 at 07:05 PM.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Mini update: GF and me go to LBS because I wanted to check out helmets. Wanted to get either a Fox Flux or Striker. And then, as soon as we walked in, I just thought about checking out this Norco women's bike that I had looked at for my GF weeks ago and kinda mentioned to her.. we didn't really plan on getting her a bike before this and never really discussed it but I just talked to the sales guy that showed it to me last time, next thing is she's on the bike, testing it out in the parking lot, she's not resistive against buying a bike etc etc looked like she was keen on it, a little excited even..

    Long story short, we walk out with a $400 Norco for her, a Fox Flux FOR HER, and Specialized gloves, FOR HER. I decided to go with a Fox Flux for myself (I liked how it fit better than the Striker and the look of the vents. 2 extra vents (Striker) was no biggie for me esp that I live in Canada. The weight difference is noticeable in the hand but the Flux didn't feel heavy when I had it on. The Flux felt more like me head was IN it and the Striker felt more like it was ON my head..but not bad.) But they didn't have the Flux in black so they had to order it. So yeah, we go in for me to check out a helmet and I walk out with nothing...except a now newly initiated Mountain Biker! lol

    We went on our first trail ride together today and she loved it! She felt great and she was hauling ass!

    And oh, she forgot to bring shoes with her so we ended up going to the mall near my place and got her a pair of Vans.. her house was too far away and it was getting late.. damn she scored so much today..but I scored more because now she will go with me riding instead of complaining that I'm biking too much or whatever..

    Double p.s. - Foes just emailed me that my bike was ready to ship. Bruno was calling me at my house but I missed it cuz I was out riding. He told me last time that they won't be able to put it together until Monday so I wasn't expecting anything. He would've been able to ship it today if I had been able to answer his call because I needed to pay for shipping. Oh well, I guess I gotta wait until Monday.

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    K, got the bike two weeks ago or so, dropped it at my LBS for assembly, picked it up 30 minutes ago..skipped out from work to run to my LBS..still at work and the baby is sitting in the back of my Jeep in the parking lot. Just restraining myself not to go out to the parking lot and ride it...pics soon in the Foes forum!

  61. #61
    Beer Me!
    Reputation: Guerdonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,106
    Quote Originally Posted by jon777 View Post
    now newly initiated Mountain Biker!.........We went on our first trail ride together today and she loved it! She felt great and she was hauling ass!.......now she will go with me riding instead of complaining that I'm biking too much or whatever..
    Win, Win and Double Win. Now you need to get a ring on that finger to lock that sh!t down, finding girls who haul ass and love to mnt bike isn't very easy.

    Still waiting for the pics of your bike btw...
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

  62. #62
    Retired User
    Reputation: wbmason55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Win, Win and Double Win. Now you need to get a ring on that finger to lock that sh!t down, finding girls who haul ass and love to mnt bike isn't very easy.

    Still waiting for the pics of your bike btw...
    ^ What he said.

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Yeah sorry for the delay. Just been so busy, we just moved in together and been moving and unpacking. The bike just came back from the LBS a few days ago after being assembled.. I also need to figure out how to post it here..lol

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shalom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,006
    Quote Originally Posted by jon777 View Post
    Sometimes I need some rest.
    You have answered your own dilemma. Get the ring...

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.