Flashback!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Flashback!

the half breed devil

Flashback!

february 21, 2009. marin county, CA with mt tam in the background.

bike is a '99 ibis alibi, the frame of which i purchased directly and physically at one of their "garage sales" when the factory/HQ was still in the petaluma area.

the rasta bomber is the result of a trade with a neighbor for one of the early mac minis i had on hand when i upgraded to an imac.

kick the tires of your way-back machines and see what spits out.

Flashback!-dscf2183.jpg

mtbr member
    Cool, flashback Friday

https://youtu.be/E7t8eoA_1jQ
    Round and round we go

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Great thread idea Shek. Cool old bike as well, Ibis were there from the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Great thread idea Shek. Cool old bike as well, Ibis were there from the beginning.
    DJ, i owned two of the ibis alibis at one time. the orange one was my "trail" bike and the cabernet one was my "race" bike.

the story i heard was ibis started blowing the bare frames out at rock bottom prices because they were unable compete on a price level with the M2 from specialized.

if memory serves me, the orange frame came from the factory up by sebastapol, ca back in 1998 for $200 and the burgundy on here came from park cyclery in san francisco for $400 as a bare frame in mid '99.

the burgundy alibi eventually scaled out at 24.5 pounds, not exactly flyweight for that era but by no means a porker, either. it was one of my favorite bikes until i sold the frame, seatpost and bottom bracket to help finance my ill-advised santa cruz superlight project, which maybe we'll talk about later.

Flashback!-00000002.jpg

Shek, this link may interest you.

https://www.oldschoolracing.ch/archiv/ibis/

I was in awe of the Ibis Bow Tie when it came out circa 1997’ish. Saw one years later in lime green. A guy down on his luck supposedly bought it [or stole it] for transportation. He had no idea what he had nor did the ghost owner who supposedly sold it to him. That model today belongs in a mountain bike museum.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Shek, this link may interest you.

https://www.oldschoolracing.ch/archiv/ibis/

I was in awe of the Ibis Bow Tie when it came out circa 1997’ish. Saw one years later in lime green. A guy down on his luck supposedly bought it [or stole it] for transportation. He had no idea what he had nor did the ghost owner who supposedly sold it to him. That model today belongs in a mountain bike museum.
    carbon with ti lugs in '88.

on a mountain bike.

i love it!

High Desert MTBer
    How very odd, I was just cleaning some stuff out of my closet and found this that a friend had sent on a collage about 25 years ago!
    This was backstage at a UB40 show at a rinky dink little stadium in Victoria, Island of Mahe, in the Seychelles. We were just finishing up a world tour there, and I took my old Diamondback Ascent EX. I managed a few rides around the island, but no real trails to speak of.
    The kids there had never seen such a thing, and I had a constant line of them taking it for rides up and down the stadium... then to my amazement, some 12 year old kid jumped on and wheelied the whole length of the stadium! I left him to it! Would someone be so kind as to rotate this thing for me?!?

Flashback!-img_1211.jpg

This was the late 80s I believe, and I WAS wearing shorts...
    It's all Here. Now.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    How very odd, I was just cleaning some stuff out of my closet and found this that a friend had sent on a collage about 25 years ago!
    This was backstage at a UB40 show at a rinky dink little stadium in Victoria, Island of Mahe, in the Seychelles. We were just finishing up a world tour there, and I took my old Diamondback Ascent EX. I managed a few rides around the island, but no real trails to speak of.
    The kids there had never seen such a thing, and I had a constant line of them taking it for rides up and down the stadium... then to my amazement, some 12 year old kid jumped on and wheelied the whole length of the stadium! I left him to it! Would someone be so kind as to rotate this thing for me?!?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1211.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	1353089

Name:  IMG_1211 (1).jpg
Views: 24
Size:  75.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1211.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	1353089

A CR [courtesy rotate] for ya.

Name:  B10563CB-3A92-4FF5-B76C-68CE32C31860.jpeg
Views: 23
Size:  76.0 KB

High Desert MTBer
    By the way, that is the wardrobe lady's Mum with me who was visiting. She does seem inordinately happy gripping my grip as she is...
    It's all Here. Now.

Lol