El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    w/o flash probably tastes better

mtbr member
    And I made this... before dinner.

Arn't i special ? and... No, I don't mean Tones "special"... either,

GONE
    Nov 2008
    ^Did you use PowerPro braided line to stitch it?

Both kinds of fish tacos are just fabulous.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Thanks a lot FB I know you peeked into the burrito thread and saw how I've been craving fish tacos since my move from fish taco capital of the u.s.a. San Diego.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Thanks a lot FB I know you peeked into the burrito thread and saw how I've been craving fish tacos since my move from fish taco capital of the u.s.a. San Diego.
    I thought the fish tacos capital of the USA was in and around the fish markets of Ensenada? That's where I've had the best...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    capital of the USA was Ensenada? .
    Ensenada, Ca. ???

who knew...

mtbr member
    I did find this place..

Tacos Baja Ensenada
    4.5 star rating447 reviews Rating Details
    Category: Mexican
    5385 Whittier Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90022
    (323) 887-1980

Looks to still be in Mexico...

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    Ensenada, Ca. ???

who knew...
    Yeah, you never been there??? You head South, and you keep going, and going, and going...

The always say a strange word to me when i say something to them. They reply, "Que?"

I thought the fish tacos capital of the USA was in and around the fish markets of Ensenada? That's where I've had the best...
    I said the U.S.A. not Mexico. But you hit on the key to why San Diego is the fish taco Capitol of the U.S.A.
    The fresh fisheries in Ensenada and the rich in tradition fish taco recipes started there. Ensenada is only an hour and a half 85 miles from San Diego. All the Southern California surfers for decades have made the trip down from San Diego to all the famous surf breaks between San Diego and Ensenada. One of those surfers took the famous Mexican fish taco recipes and brought it back to the states. He opened up his first fish taco
    shop in San Diego in 1983'. He named it Rubios. I first ate at the original one in 87'. It has since became a large chain.

The rest is history fish tacos over the years have
    spread throughout the country. But nothing beats
    how Rubios makes them. Unless you go down to
    Mexico. I've done many Mexico trips driving from
    San Diego to Ensenada, Rosarito, Port of Neuevo.
    All killer fish tacos and fresh Lobster carne asada
    and Margaritas. YUM!
    See Rubios history here. Mexican Food Restaurant | Rubio's Grill | Company Information
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Dang, even the avocados are grilled.

Ride More, Work Less
    The grilled avocados look amazing.

:cool::thumbsup: Oh and by the way awesome job FishBucket. :p <<<< that's me drooling.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    I said the U.S.A. not Mexico. But you hit on the key to why San Diego is the fish taco Capitol of the U.S.A.
    The fresh fisheries in Ensenada and the rich in tradition fish taco recipes started there. Ensenada is only an hour and a half 85 miles from San Diego. All the Southern California surfers for decades have made the trip down from San Diego to all the famous surf breaks between San Diego and Ensenada. One of those surfers took the famous Mexican fish taco recipes and brought it back to the states. He opened up his first fish taco
    shop in San Diego in 1983'. He named it Rubios. I first ate at the original one in 87'. It has since became a large chain.

The rest is history fish tacos over the years have
    spread throughout the country. But nothing beats
    how Rubios makes them. Unless you go down to
    Mexico. I've done many Mexico trips driving from
    San Diego to Ensenada, Rosarito, Port of Neuevo.
    All killer fish tacos and fresh Lobster carne asada
    and Margaritas. YUM!
    See Rubios history here. Mexican Food Restaurant | Rubio's Grill | Company Information
    Ah-haaaa! You figured it out. That's why I posted the BAJA California thing because I knew the roots of San Diego's greatness came from there.

Ah-haaaa! You figured it out. That's why I posted the BAJA California thing because I knew the roots of San Diego's greatness came from there.
    Unfortunately those that haven't experienced it think we're just blowing hot air.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Unfortunately those that haven't experienced it think we're just blowing hot air.
    True, but I have to think that lots of members here may not have ever even had a fish taco, much less been to San Diego.

gobsmacked Moderator

Fish Tacos !

Quote Originally Posted by Wishful Tomcat View Post
    w/o flash probably tastes better
    Lol.

Updated version:

Fish Tacos !-imageuploadedbytapatalk1383360049.543405.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Lol.

Updated version:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383360049.543405.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	843679
    Is that Menudo in the soup cup ??

The Boat or The Bike?
    I'm for the W/O Flash taco's and another vote for the grilled avacado's!

Looks amazing...

Now I'm gone...
    Live to Fish, now Love to Ride

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Best ones I've had were from some coastal Mexico trips.

Then, making our own. Not all gussied up. A little cabbage, maybe some pico, sometimes a little lime.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

banned
    Jan 2013
    20+ years ago we used to drive south to surf Roserita. The waves were great, there was NO one to compete with for waves, and the fish tacos were to die for.

There is not a snowballs chance in hell i would risk a drive into Baja these days.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    20+ years ago we used to drive south to surf Roserita. The waves were great, there was NO one to compete with for waves, and the fish tacos were to die for.

There is not a snowballs chance in hell i would risk a drive into Baja these days.

Yep same here as I mentioned earlier we made many trips in to Rosarito and Port of Neuevo. Two
    coastal towns in between San Diego and Ensenada.
    Sounds like you and I were hitting it up around the
    same time. All goodies and all fresh caught fiish
    tacos, Lobster, carne asada and margaritas or cervesa [beer]. And everything costs next to nothing. Those two small coastal surf / sea food towns were full of American tourists back then. Mainly young twenty something crowd just down there to party and eat the amazing food.

We are lucky to have experienced those care free times down there. As you said going down there these day's your risking your life. My brother still makes a annual yearly trip down to the Sea of Cortez to go wind surfing. He' s been doing it for 15 years. He seems to think if you travel in a group and stay to yourselves you'll be fine. I've argued with him every year but he keeps going. Scary place for Americans these days.

9 lives

I'd have to eat it without the fish.. but that looks tres yummy.
    I never thought to grill avocado... mmm have to try that
    and I do love hot sauce
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

meow meow
    mtbr the new instagram?

Afric Pepperbird
    Corn? No thanks

Jimmy crapped corn, and I don't care.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yep same here as I mentioned earlier we made many trips in to Rosarito and Port of Neuevo. Two
    coastal towns in between San Diego and Ensenada.
    Sounds like you and I were hitting it up around the
    same time. All goodies and all fresh caught fiish
    tacos, Lobster, carne asada and margaritas or cervesa [beer]. And everything costs next to nothing. Those two small coastal surf / sea food towns were full of American tourists back then. Mainly young twenty something crowd just down there to party and eat the amazing food.

We are lucky to have experienced those care free times down there. As you said going down there these day's your risking your life. My brother still makes a annual yearly trip down to the Sea of Cortez to go wind surfing. He' s been doing it for 15 years. He seems to think if you travel in a group and stay to yourselves you'll be fine. I've argued with him every year but he keeps going. Scary place for Americans these days.
    Ok now you guys are bringing back some great memories. We used to drive down for lobster and to party. Rosarito had Papas and Beer right on the beach where those drunk girls would ride that bull and Ensenada had Papas, Hussongs, Bananas and others. I remember a few times partying with the crowd off of a cruise ship. Even crashed out in the back of a pickup on the beach a couple of times. Wouldn't try that now though.

since 4/10/2009

Fish Tacos !

What is the best fish to use in fish tacos? Fried or grilled?

I haven't been lucky enough to get fish tacos in san diego. The closest I've eaten fish tacos is Sausalito, CA. Very yummy.

I has good ones at a little joint in Houston, TX, too. So far, most of the ones I find elsewhere use tilapia, which is a nonnative fish commonly farmed in the southeast. Gross fish, IMO. I won't touch it.

I think I would give an edge to grilled fish, something with a light flavor (not a strong fishy smell/flavor like tilapia). In the midwest where I am now, I think fresh bass would be great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I prefer fried to grilled for texture, but I haven't had that baja fresh fish, which most folks would never consider frying. I'm pretty sure baja sets the standard for the fish taco. As for fish, Halibut is terrific, but probably too expensive in most places. In Oregon, we use rockfish, which are the bass of the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    I prefer fried to grilled for texture, but I haven't had that baja fresh fish, which most folks would never consider frying. I'm pretty sure baja sets the standard for the fish taco. As for fish, Halibut is terrific, but probably too expensive in most places. In Oregon, we use rockfish, which are the bass of the ocean.
    Yeah Halibut is a good one.
    But the best is Mai Mai & Sword Fish
    Both are used in traditional Mexican Baja fish tacos, and best if grilled.

If anyone that hasn't been to San Diego and if you ever make your way. The best fish taco in town is made at South Beach Bar and Grill in Ocean Beach. Located on the very end of Newport ave. on the beach near the pier.
    South Beach Bar & Grille - Home of the world's best fish taco!

They have an assortment of different kinds of fish fresh caught daily. You nake the kind you want for your tacos and they grill it up. All in the Mexican
    Baja traditional recipes.

And if you can't make it to San Diego but make it in to California. The best chain for fish tacos is
    Rubios. As I mentioned earlier they are the creator
    and founder of the original fish taco brought over
    from Mexico to the states. Originated in San Diego
    in 1983' By a guy who made many surfing trips
    into Mexico. I told the story further up this thread
    with a link to the history. Anyway that chain is all
    over California and is amazing.

Rubios menu >> Best Fish Tacos | Mexican Restaurants | Rubio's

And Rubios history >>> Mexican Food
    Restaurant | Rubio's Grill | Company
    Information

He opened the first one in San Diego in 83' and I
    ate at the original one in 87'. And it has since grown in to a huge chain. But Ralph Rubio is a very nice down to earth guy even after hitting it big. I met him several times while I lived in San Diego. He makes his rounds from his many restaurants that he has there. And he gets down and works behind the counter just like a regular employee. He sold the business about three years ago but still works as an employee in some of them. Luckily new ownership kept all original recipes and Ralph Rubio still has his hands in any new recipe creations.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    What is the best fish to use in fish tacos? Fried or grilled?

I haven't been lucky enough to get fish tacos in san diego. The closest I've eaten fish tacos is Sausalito, CA. Very yummy.

I has good ones at a little joint in Houston, TX, too. So far, most of the ones I find elsewhere use tilapia, which is a nonnative fish commonly farmed in the southeast. Gross fish, IMO. I won't touch it.

I think I would give an edge to grilled fish, something with a light flavor (not a strong fishy smell/flavor like tilapia). In the midwest where I am now, I think fresh bass would be great.
    Nate, there really isn't a best fish for fish tacos. Whatever you prefer is going to be great. Personally, I like white, flakey fish meat (grilled or fried) but that's just me.

I agree on the Tilapia thing. Those things are grown in horrendous conditions. Yuck!!!

mtbr member
    Any White Flake fish , Like cod, seabass, rockfish... I dont eat freshwater bass. When I did as a kid it was kinda oily. It wight work.. sturgeon, white fish, walleye, perch. should work well.

Grilled or fried take your pick.
    If I fry, I'll add onion, garlic, shallots, peppers, red/yellow right into the pan and make a fish crumble.

Grilled get spiced up and then flaked to chunks when done. then use chopped tomato, corn, chopped onion, and homemade red cabbage slaw... bigger chunks in the Taco.

Sky is the limit on what you want. Experiment, and let us know how the black bass comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nods Dad View Post
    Ok now you guys are bringing back some great memories. We used to drive down for lobster and to party. Rosarito had Papas and Beer right on the beach where those drunk girls would ride that bull and Ensenada had Papas, Hussongs, Bananas and others. I remember a few times partying with the crowd off of a cruise
    ship. Even crashed out in the back of a pickup on
    the beach a couple of times. Wouldn't try that now
    though.
    Yep all those places I've had great times at. There is also calafia an even smaller surf town before Rosarito amd Port of Nuevo. And the mechanical bull in Ensenada that thing will kick your butt after a day of tequila shots. It's hilarious all the hot drunk American girls have to try it. And after one ride the next day they can't even move. It torques every muscle in your body.

Another great place we used to go was San Felipe. For several years we'd make an annual trip down. We'd bring dirt bikes and hit the sand dunes just outside of town. Then the town is right on the water. And there's like a boardwalk with numerous Cantina's to eat fresh fish and lobster. There is also a place down there with a mechanical bull outside. A giant arena where everyone gathers and cheers on the next victim. Ha,ha good times in Mexico and we're lucky to have experienced it when it was carefree.

Talking of San Felipe it's farther down but a was a huge American tourism destination as is the others. But because it is farther down the main crowd it gets are desert toy enthusiasts and water toy. So you have every off road vehicle under the sun running around. And you can drive them on the streets without beimg hassled. So all the Americans are running around from bar to bar on dirt bikes,quads,3-wheelers,dune buggies and off road trucks. The roads are dirt and sand. And the surrounding dunes have huge quantities of the giant saora cactus. You know the ones that stand 30' tall or more. Awesome place and one big party.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 11-04-2013 at 07:22 PM.

mtbr member

If anyone that hasn't been to San Diego and if you ever make your way. The best fish taco in town is made at South Beach Bar and Grill in Ocean Beach. Located on the very end of Newport ave. on the beach near the pier.

They have an assortment of different kinds of fish fresh caught daily. You nake the kind you want for your tacos and they grill it up. All in the Mexican
    Baja traditional recipes.

And if you can't make it to San Diego but make it in to California. The best chain for fish tacos is
    Rubios. As I mentioned earlier they are the creator
    and founder of the original fish taco brought over
    from Mexico to the states. Originated in San Diego
    in 1983' By a guy who made many surfing trips
    into Mexico. I told the story further up this thread
    with a link to the history. Anyway that chain is all
    over California and is amazing.
    I certainly am not a San Diego fish Taco expert but the grilled swordfish tacos at the Brigantine over by the Del Mar race track are pretty damn awesome, and a great deal during happy hour!

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Here's something funny and related. My friend who goes by "007" here recently moved to NV. He got spoiled by the excellent Mexican Food in So Cal and can't seem to find anything out there that is nearly as good. He even started a thread to ask the locals.

http://forums.mtbr.com/nevada/ot-las...od-884351.html

banned
    Sep 2010
    I make fish tacos out of hickory wood smoke grilled salmon. All who taste them unanimously proclaim them The Best.

banned
    Blue Water Grill on India St. in San Diego makes great fish tacos.

One interesting fish you can use from local waters is sculpin. Their flesh is tinted blue until you cook it. Another good one is rock cod.

If you want to try a beer batter with a totally different twist, try Ballast Point's Indra Kunindra (stout with curry, cayenne & cumin). I have not tried this but it's on my to-do list as I hear it tastes as awesome as it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I certainly am not a San Diego fish Taco expert but the grilled swordfish tacos at the Brigantine over by the Del Mar race track are pretty damn awesome, and a great deal during happy hour!
    Hey funny you mentioned that I almost did. The Brigantine makes killer fish taco's. I used to frequent the one in La Mesa and Poway and occasionally the Del mar one. And as you know the hot sauce they have really add's to them. And they have happy hour and you can get a great deal during that time. Definitely in my top 5 best fish taco places in San Diego.

Here's something funny and related. My friend who goes by "007" here recently moved to NV. He got spoiled by the excellent Mexican Food in So Cal and can't seem to find anything out there that is nearly as good. He even started a thread to ask the locals.

http://forums.mtbr.com/nevada/ot-las...od-884351.html

Hey I don't blame him I'm about to do the same in my local Colorado forum. But I know they won't be able to deliver what I'm used to coming from SD.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    I make fish tacos out of hickory wood smoke grilled salmon. All who taste them unanimously proclaim them The Best.
    I'll be the judge of that !

pm'ing you my address now.

banned
    Sep 2010

Hey I don't blame him I'm about to do the same in my local Colorado forum. But I know they won't be able to deliver what I'm used to coming from SD.
    Hey when you were in' Dago did you ever try a place called Tommy's Tex-Mex on Voltaire, near OB?

banned
    Sep 2012
    Bear Flag Fish Co. here in Newport Beach is my current go to. Especially being just a stones throw away from my house.

Fish Tacos !-image.jpg

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Corn? No thanks

Jimmy crapped corn, and I don't care.
    What's wrong with you? Are you not human? Corn is the greatest thing on this planet..(well, kind of)

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    In the midwest where I am now, I think fresh bass would be great.
    Bleck~!~ Freshwater bass are gross... I have never had a "fish taco" (no pun intended), but I would only prefer something from the ocean.

Any White Flake fish , Like cod, seabass, rockfish... I dont eat freshwater bass. When I did as a kid it was kinda oily. It wight work.. sturgeon, white fish, walleye, perch. should work well.

Grilled or fried take your pick.
    If I fry, I'll add onion, garlic, shallots, peppers, red/yellow right into the pan and make a fish crumble.

Grilled get spiced up and then flaked to chunks when done. then use chopped tomato, corn, chopped onion, and homemade red cabbage slaw... bigger chunks in the Taco.

Sky is the limit on what you want. Experiment, and let us know how the black bass comes out.
    Well damn,.. This sounds awesome!! I don't eat much fish at all, but where would one suggest to get a fish taco in the Washington D.C. area? I am willing to try it if it's made like this..
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Weird huh?
    Hickory with salmon is under rated. I shall try this again soon. Most folks think hickory is only good for pig/beef. Strong oily fish like salmon does fabulous with hickory. Hickory. That is all...hickory. My mouth is watering.

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle • 7 points •1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Bear Flag Fish Co. here in Newport Beach is my current go to. Especially being just a stones throw away from my house.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	844443
    That's Sriracha on them ISN'T IT! ADMIT IT!

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle • 7 points •1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle View Post
    That's Sriracha on them ISN'T IT! ADMIT IT!
    Haha, I thought the exact same thing when I grabbed that pic. Not my pic and I don't put sriracha on my fish tacos. Pho is a different story though!

They have a ton of different hot sauces in a corner but I stick with standard mexi style sauces.

mtbr member

You can"t really match the Baja style Mexican food they have in San Diego here in CO. The Mexican food here has more influence from Chihuahua and Sonora. What you will find in CO is awesome Green Chili like I could never find in CA or AZ.

Hey when you were in' Dago did you ever try a place called Tommy's Tex-Mex on Voltaire, near OB?
    Sounds familiar but I don't think I've been to that one. Probably drove by that's why the name sound's familiar.

check your six
    Hello!?!?! Any help for an East Coaster? Where does one get something like this?
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak View Post
    would one suggest to get a fish taco in the Washington D.C. area? .

Best Fish Tacos in DC area

Enjoy !

Good Luck !

check your six
    Well damn that Google... hmph.... haha... THx!

banned
    Sep 2012
    I know that when I lived in Boston for college 10 years ago the only decent fish taco was found at Baja Fresh in Quincy market. To me that was an ok fish taco, not like at home though. But as I said, that was 10 years ago.

Hopefully the East Coast gets it now... gotta say the food was pretty bland over there. Of course Italian in the North End of boston where I lived was phenomenal but Mexican food? Try driving 3000k miles.

Views:	62 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	844443
    Oh wow Gordon you live in Newport Beach. I used to get all through Newport Beach with my old work. Great place to live and a sensory overload with thing's to look at. What area are you in?

check your six
    Not a fan of Baja Fresh but never tried the fish taco. There is one close, so maybe I will give it a try. But, it's right next to Firehouse Subs... and C'mon... they are the best sub ever!! Fish Taco or Amazing sub?? Hmmm.... Maybe I will take one for the team and give in to the taco.... Not a big fat one, just a regular one.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Oh wow Gordon you live in Newport Beach. I used to get all through Newport Beach with my old work. Great place to live and a sensory overload with thing's to look at. What area are you in?
    Balboa Peninsula, right by the Newport Pier. My office is in Fashion Island so my wife and I have been lucky enough to live at the beach since we moved in together 7 years ago.

Rent this space for $
    It's not a taco....yet, but this slob of a 12# Cabezon that my buddy pulled onboard last week made for some damned good fish tacos!

check your six
    oh My Sack - Nice weird blue fish... You belong over here >>>> http://forums.mtbr.com/off-camber-of...-829971-5.html uhh... not that you don't belong here either....

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Nice Cabby. Them dudes are badass! Blue meat like a Gator Ling.

Nice catch Sack Man now all we need is photo's of the end product.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    I made for some damned good fish tacos!
    No Pic... didn't happen.

mtbr member
    at Baja Fresh.
    Are you F'n kidding me ?!?

there is noting "Baja" about that place. if it's a chain restaurant it aint Mesikan.
    Drop the churro and run... run away as fast as you can.

Rent this space for $
    No Pic... didn't happen.
    I make and eat them too often to take pictures of them! I'll try harder next time.

Balboa Peninsula, right by the Newport Pier. My office is in Fashion Island so my wife and I have been lucky enough to live at the beach since we moved in together 7 years ago.
    I used to make my way out on to the Balboa Peninsula. Very cool main drag with all the little quaint shops lining both sides. Lucky you!

I used to make my way out on to the Balboa
    Peninsula. Very cool main drag with all the little
    quaint shops lining both sides. Lucky you!

Let's see if I remember this right. As your going out on the Peninsula Starbucks is about halfway down on the left. And towards the end there's a market on the left that's where I used to make deliveries to. I can't remember the name of it but they served help your self coffee when you walk in on the right. They really draw people to come in for
    some good cheap coffee.

mtbr member
    I have *made* pretty good fish tacos, and have had pretty damned good ones. But those?

:drool:

A work of art...

banned
    Sep 2012
    Are you F'n kidding me ?!?

there is noting "Baja" about that place. if it's a chain restaurant it aint Mesikan.
    Drop the churro and run... run away as fast as you can.
    I totally agree.. I only ate there because it was the only thing available out there at the time. When I moved back to So Cal I ate at real mexi joints every day for a month straight.

banned
    Sep 2012
    I used to make my way out on to the Balboa
    Peninsula. Very cool main drag with all the little
    quaint shops lining both sides. Lucky you!

Let's see if I remember this right. As your going out on the Peninsula Starbucks is about halfway down on the left. And towards the end there's a market on the left that's where I used to make deliveries to. I can't remember the name of it but they served help your self coffee when you walk in on the right. They really draw people to come in for
    some good cheap coffee.
    You could be thinking of Balboa Island but I also wouldn't be surprised if it was a store on the peninsula that is no longer there because of the bigger grocery stores around now. Would you pass a red restaurant called The Crab Cooker? If so that's the peninsula. The Crab Cooker has been around for decades and is in an old Bank of America. They even still use the vault to store fish I believe.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Is it ass cheek to ass check crowded down there at all times of the year or just in the Summer or holidays? The crowds always bugged me about that place. Used to go down there with a buddy to fish in Balboa bay.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Is it ass cheek to ass check crowded down there at all times of the year or just in the Summer or holidays? The crowds always bugged me about that place. Used to go down there with a buddy to fish in Balboa bay.
    Just summer and during the Christmas light boat parade. The Fall/Winter/Spring is not nearly as bad. We have parking so even in the summer it's not too bad for us, we just ride our beach cruisers everywhere on weekends anyways.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrpiffle View Post
    Hickory with salmon is under rated. I shall try this again soon. Most folks think hickory is only good for pig/beef. Strong oily fish like salmon does fabulous with hickory. Hickory. That is all...hickory. My mouth is watering.
    I've done salmon in Apple wood and Alderwood, when it comes to smoking. My favorite is alderwood for spring run ocean caught Chinook/King Salmon.

Just summer and during the Christmas light boat parade. The Fall/Winter/Spring is not nearly as bad. We have parking so even in the summer it's not too bad for us, we just ride our beach cruisers everywhere on weekends anyways.
    Yes I was thinking of Balboa Island but now that you jarred my memory I used to get out on Balboa Peninsula also. As you pass the red Crab Catcher and a Mc donalds the street does a Y. And you head out about halfway there is a market on the right and hang a right and it dead end's at the beach. On the very end on the right there's a great little breakfast burrito place white and blue. And if you come back out of that dead end and hang a right and go down aways on the left theres another breakfast place and next door is another marker with a freen sign. The name starts with a P, I think it's called Promelis market

banned
    Sep 2012
    Yes I was thinking of Balboa Island but now that you jarred my memory I used to get out on Balboa Peninsula also. As you paas the red Crab Catcher and a Mc donalds the street does a Y. And you head out about halfway there is a market on the right and hang a right and it dead end's at the beach. On the very end on the right there's a great little breakfast burrito place white and blue. And if you come back out of that dead end and hang a right and go down aways on the left theres another breakfast place and next door is another marker with a freen sign. The name starts with a P, I think it's called Promelis market
    yep, you got it right. That little breakfast burro spot is probably Pipeline Cafe and the Promelis closed. I live right after they "Y" in the road on the beach side. If you ever find yourself coming back to the area stop by for a beer on my patio or at one of the many bars nearby! (With a heads up of course)

yep, you got it right. That little breakfast burro spot is probably Pipeline Cafe and the Promelis closed. I live right after they "Y" in the road on the beach side. If you ever find yourself coming back to the area stop by for a beer on my patio or at one of the many bars nearby! (With a heads up of course)
    Oh wow I wish I still lived back there. I used to make deliveries to markets and such through there. Twice a week for about 4 years. So Promelis market closed bummer. It wasn't ever that crowded. There is another one in Costa Mesa that I delivered to as well, which was their main one. That little place Pipeline Cafe has killer breakfast burritos and I delivered to them as well. My routes started in San Diego, San Clemente, Dana Point,Laguna Beach, Newport Beach,Costa Mesa,Huntington Beach. Most consisting along the Coast Highway beach areas.

If I ever make it back to visit or live I'll keep you in mind for a beer. Your area is quite a desirable beach community. Were you around when that couple was selling their Yacht. And were taking the buyers out for a test spin only to be jacked murdered and thrown overboard. Just to steal the Yacht. I guess the couple was well known well liked pillars of the community. If I remember right they caught the criminals but never recovered the couples body's. Very tragic and sad it happened out of your area across the street from you at the yacht club. I'm sure you know about it and maybe more than I do.

banned
    Sep 2012
    That yacht murder happened a couple of years before I moved back to the area. They lived on it and were trying to sell it to move to Arizona, very sad. Some punk came up with a plan to steal the boat and some other assets or something. Had his pregnant wife or girlfriend meet the couple to make the scumbag seem like a nice guy as a front. I think their last name was the Hawks. Never found them and the mastermind of it all was sentenced to death not too long ago.

That yacht murder happened a couple of years before I moved back to the area. They lived on it and were trying to sell it to move to Arizona, very sad. Some punk came up with a plan to steal the boat and some other assets or something. Had his pregnant wife or girlfriend meet the couple to make the scumbag seem like a nice guy as a front. I think their last name was the Hawks. Never found them and the mastermind of it all was sentenced to death not too long ago.
    Yep freaking scumbag's deserve worse than the 50 years it takes to be put to death in California. Didn't it happen pretty much right across the street from you. I remember watching a special on it and they showed the street that went to the landing. I recognized it from my travels through there.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Their boat was docked down in the bayside of 15th. That burro place Pipeline is on the beach side of 15th... Very close to my current house and across the street from the elementary school.

Side note - the wife and I are trying to hold out on moving until after we have kids so they can go to the elementary school on the sand. One of the coolest playgrounds in the country.

banned
    Sep 2012
    ^And we are half joking about that, really not going to stay for that reason alone.

It is cool for the kids though:

Fish Tacos !-image.jpg

Their boat was docked down in the bayside of 15th. That burro place Pipeline is on the beach side of 15th... Very close to my current house and across the street from the elementary school.

Side note - the wife and I are trying to hold out on moving until after we have kids so they can go to the elementary school on the sand. One of the coolest playgrounds in the country.
    Yeah the 15th street landing I recognized it from the show. Very cool place for an elementary school right there. Isn't there a Spaghetti Factory restaurant near the Crab Catcher as well. And I think I remember a Los Primos Mexican restaurant as we'll. If so their food is pretty good. Great bean and cheese burritos.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Spaghetti Factory is still there across Balboa blvd from my house. Los Primos has a location up in Costa Mesa on 17th. They have a huge burro called the mister serious, but I haven't had it since my late teens.

Spaghetti Factory is still there across Balboa blvd from my house. Los Primos has a location up in Costa Mesa on 17th. They have a huge burro called the mister serious, but I haven't had it since my late teens.
    Oh! Makes sense 17th was a major part of my route. We delivered to all the Chronic Taco locations. One near the Circle K at the coast highway and one up off 17th in Costa Mesa. What a name huh, Chronic Tacos some stoners started that chain. And I wasn't too impressed with their food.

Rent this space for $
    Now your talking about my old stompin' grounds in the '70s and early 80's. My folks had a 45' ketch rigged sailboat. We kept it right next to the Reuben E. Lee restaurant on PCH and then moved over to Lido Isle for a while before porting in Los Alamitos to the north. In my teens, I would terrorize that harbor by Zodiac! Spent a lot of time hangin' at Bisbee's fuel dock.

DJ, you're thinking of the Crab COOKER. Every Sunday evening, we either side tie the boat at The Cannery for dinner or drive over to the Crab Cooker, or Ye Ol' Spaghetti Factory. Those were the 3 regulars every single weekend for dinner for years while we were ported there. Early 80's I was a west coast rep for a very large yachting equipment importer/wholesaler based in Irvine and the owner and his wife had TWO houses side by side on the Peninsula, both on the beach side on Balboa Blvd right about 'D' street. You stepped out the backdoor and were standing on the boardwalk. They used to travel the world a lot, some of it by sailing their 42' yawl the Bonnie Doone which was docked right across the street in the harbor. My best buddy who was an inside sales rep for the company and I would each get a house to live in while they were gone. Sometimes for weeks, sometimes a month or more. If I could remember the sh!t we got into having 2 houses side by side, I'd probably be able to tell you some hilarious stories. It's sort of a haze, still! Good times, they were.

Now your talking about my old stompin' grounds in the '70s and early 80's. My folks had a 45' ketch rigged sailboat. We kept it right next to the Reuben E. Lee restaurant on PCH and then moved over to Lido Isle for a while before porting in Los Alamitos to the north. In my teens, I would terrorize that harbor by Zodiac! Spent a lot of time hangin' at Bisbee's fuel dock.

DJ, you're thinking of the Crab COOKER. Every Sunday evening, we either side tie the boat at The Cannery for dinner or drive over to the Crab Cooker, or Ye Ol' Spaghetti Factory. Those were the 3 regulars every single weekend for dinner for years while we were ported there. Early 80's I was a west coast rep for a very large yachting equipment importer/wholesaler based in Irvine and the owner and his wife had TWO houses side by side on the Peninsula, both on the beach side on Balboa Blvd right about 'D' street. You stepped out the backdoor and were standing on the boardwalk. They used to travel the world a lot, some of it by sailing their 42' yawl the Bonnie Doone which was docked right across the street in the harbor. My best buddy who was an inside sales rep for the company and I would each get a house to live in while they were gone. Sometimes for weeks, sometimes a month or more. If I could remember the sh!t we got into having 2 houses side by side, I'd probably be able to tell you some hilarious stories. It's sort of a haze, still! Good times, they were.
    Oh yeah Crab Cooker the red building with white letters. The Ye Ol' Spaghetti Factory one of my favorite places. My girlfriend and I were regulars at the downtown San Diego one for years. They closed it down several years ago and sold off all the memorabilia at an auction. I can't remember but someone bought the big 100 year old bar that was like 40' long made out of one piece of wood. Amazing! The history of that place I think it was the original one. There's another on in north county SD but it's in a new building and doesn't come close to the old historical building in down town SD.

Sack feel free to tell some of those long lost stories from back in the day. I'm picturing you rowing your dingy through the bay drunk off your ass. Those were the good old day's aye.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    This thread:

WNNER!: Best thread title ever

mtbr member
    This thread:

WNNER!: Best thread title ever

You know it Buddy !

banned
    Sep 2012

Oh yeah Crab Cooker the red building with white letters. The Ye Ol' Spaghetti Factory one of my favorite places. My girlfriend and I were regulars at the downtown San Diego one for years. They closed it down several years ago and sold off all the memorabilia at an auction. I can't remember but someone bought the big 100 year old bar that was like 40' long made out of one piece of wood. Amazing! The history of that place I think it was the original one. There's another on in north county SD but it's in a new building and doesn't come close to the old historical building in down town SD.

Sack feel free to tell some of those long lost stories from back in the day. I'm picturing you rowing your dingy through the bay drunk off your ass. Those were the good old day's aye.

The romano cheese potatoes at Crab Cooker are insanely good. They also grill their fish on a stick which is awesome. At Spaghetti Factory I always stick with the basics (spaghetti meatball type stuff) and we only go in the Winter because it is chaos during the summer with all of the rental folks in town.

Sack - My best friend's family owned a house down on 'I' street near where you used to hang out on 'D' street. Now they live a few blocks away in the same area and their neighbor is Billie Joe from Green Day (unless the house sold, he listed it not too long ago). Funny story, he (Billie Joe) called the cops on a loud neighbor/party a few years back.. kinda ironic. Thats further down the peninsula at Balboa Point near the Wedge. Very quiet at that end of the peninsula, even in the summer relative to everywhere else in town. My buddy has a Duffy boat (harbor cruise electric boat basically built to party on) and we get after it out on the harbor bar hoping on the boat.

One of these days I will grow up and leave but as long as Mrs. Shumway enjoys living here so will I!

Update - I think the house is still for sale. Green Day frontman lists Newport Beach home | beach, newport, home - Business - The Orange County Register

The romano cheese potatoes at Crab Cooker are insanely good. They also grill their fish on a stick which is awesome. At Spaghetti Factory I always stick with the basics (spaghetti meatball type stuff) and we only go in the Winter because it is chaos during the summer with all of the rental folks in town.

Sack - My best friend's family owned a house down on 'I' street near where you used to hang out on 'D' street. Now they live a few blocks away in the same area and their neighbor is Billie Joe from Green Day (unless the house sold, he listed it not too long ago). Funny story, he (Billie Joe) called the cops on a loud neighbor/party a few years back.. kinda ironic. Thats further down the peninsula at Balboa Point near the Wedge. Very quiet at that end of the peninsula, even in the summer relative to everywhere else in town. My buddy has a Duffy boat (harbor cruise electric boat basically built to party on) and we get after it out on the harbor bar hoping on the boat.

One of these days I will grow up and leave but as long as Mrs. Shumway enjoys living here so will I!

Update - I think the house is still for sale. Green Day frontman lists Newport Beach home | beach, newport, home - Business - The Orange County Register
    Yeah Ye Ol Spaghetti Factory my dish was always spaghetti with clam sauce. My girl alway's got the spaghetti with meatballs. Have you had them put the Mizithra Cheese on it, that makes it amazing. I haven't ate there in years but where else can you go and get a spaghetti dinner a salad and spumoni Italian ice cream all included for $7 bucks and change.

mtbr member
    he (Billie Joe) called the cops on a loud neighbor/party a few years back.. kinda ironic.
    No, It's typical Liberal hypocrite elite hipster bull shit. The second it does not go their way they call in the cops, whom they despise because they keep them down... F'n idiots.
    Billie Joe is a poopyhead !. you can tell him I said so.... and he ain't getting any Fish Tacos, Jack !

No, It's typical Liberal hypocrite elite hipster bull shit. The second it does not go their way they call in the cops, whom they despise because they keep them down... F'n idiots.
    Billie Joe is a poopyhead !. you can tell him I said so.... and he ain't getting any Fish Tacos, Jack !
    You go Fishbucket I now nominate you as the official OC Fish Taco Nazi.
    Seinfeld SOUP NAZI best bits. - YouTube

mtbr member
    So, this thread got me drooling, and I texted a friend who knows this area well that I wanted him to take me out for the best fish tacos in town once he got back.

He asked me if that was a euphemism...

NO! I WANT SOME EFFIN TACOS! Sheesh. ;_;

banned
    Sep 2012
    My buddy's dad said he was "a little feminine" the few times he actually spoke with him and I always thought Green Day put out glam pop wanna be punk music. I guess you are right, it isn't ironic because that is expected out of a dude like that.

Now I am going to light a bag of shit on fire on his doorstep with a note along side of it saying "No Fish Tacos for you, POOPYHEAD!"

mtbr member
    "No Fish Tacos for you, POOPYHEAD!"
    YES !

don't forget Video.

b a n n e d
    True, but I have to think that lots of members here may not have ever even had a fish taco, much less been to San Diego.
    Really funny story . . . I have a friend back in the midwest with whom I had a good 5 minute conversation about how I had the most amazing fish tacos after moving to LA. I was going on and on about about them and then started talking about how my wife liked them too . . . it was then that he realized we were NOT talking about the same "tacos."
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Really funny story . . . I have a friend back in the midwest with whom I had a good 5 minute conversation about how I had the most amazing fish tacos after moving to LA. I was going on and on about about them and then started talking about how my wife liked them too . . . it was then that he realized we were NOT talking about the same "tacos."
    But, but, the conversation continued about the wife liking fish tacos I hope???

Rent this space for $

Just gotta love how far this thread has gone....from Fish tacos to fish TACOS!

banned
    Sep 2010

Yeah, I remember the Spaghetti Factory well. We used to eat there a couple times a month.

mtbr member
    *whistles innocently*

Just gotta love how far this thread has gone....from Fish tacos to fish TACOS!
    And where will it go from here only time will tell.
    Muskrat Love perhaps.

banned
    Sep 2012
    I was just eating fish tacos in Disney California and thought of this thread mid taco and snapped a shot. They were pretty good for being inside an amusement park.

Not sure how to flip this pic while uploading from my phone:

Fish Tacos !-image.jpg

I was just eating fish tacos in Disney California and thought of this thread mid taco and snapped a shot. They were pretty good for being inside an amusement park.

Not sure how to flip this pic while uploading from my phone:

Views:	53 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	846157
    Ya big tease beer and all.

banned
    Jan 2013
    WTF? To hell with the fish tacos, how did you find beer in Disney!!?? I dont drink very often, but halfway into a day there i am in desperate need.

mtbr member
    You need to go in with a full one of these.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Thats a damn good call. Thats gona be on the prep list for my family's annual trip next year for sure.

banned
    Sep 2012
    WTF? To hell with the fish tacos, how did you find beer in Disney!!?? I dont drink very often, but halfway into a day there i am in desperate need.
    In the California Adventure side they have a few beer stands, a few full service bars, a winery and margarita stand (I was surprised myself). Legit beer selection and not as expensive as you would think.

mtbr member
    In the California Adventure side they have a few beer stands, a few full service bars, a winery and margarita stand (I was surprised myself). Legit beer selection and not as expensive as you would think.
    This is good news!

For some gawdforsaken reason, my brother asked for a trip there for his 30th birthday, so that is whers I am spending my xmas. I *could* duck out, but everyone would think I'm a boob for it since I live less than two hours from it. Oh, and there are no children in our family at the moment, we are all adults. Ya, I don't get it either... I mean, magic mountain is in the same vicinity, and is WAY more fun and appropriate for adults. They have multiple 'bucket list' roller coasters for enthusiasts, multiple world records for them over the years. But the family didn't want to hear it. Only interested in Disney. Ewwwww. Whatever. :|

mtbr member
    Last edited by Hang 21; 01-27-2018 at 04:11 PM.

mtbr member
    We have been there two or three times before as a family. Last time, my mom pointed out unhelpfully, my poor little sister was *only* 17 or so. So, we weren't *all* adults.

Last time, I had a raging nasty cold by the second day from all the little angels sneezing and wiping their germs on the rides. The only things I remember from that trip are the excessive amounts of hot tea I was drinking, morning starbucks where I lingered as long as possible doing so, and stumbling feverishly to the gas station to buy a few beers to knock myself out a couple days later, when I was supposed to be hanging out at a convention with friends but was too raging sick to do so. Oh, and tower of terror. I almost flew out of the seat. I sat next to my dad, put on my seat belt, tightened it. We both failed to realize he had accidentally sat on a section of it, so when it dropped and we flew out of our seats, I slipped out of the seatbelt. I was holding on, luckily. Fun.

I am expecting similiar family fun and chuckles. Etc.

That's why it's called the California Adventure side.

mtbr member
    Oh, wait, there was a fish taco thread too...

dammit!

I DON'T REMEMBER WHICH THREAD I DEMANDED FISH TACOS IN.

And I am too lazy to reread through them both.

So I am posting my tacos in both threads, suckas!

Fish Tacos !-2013-11-17-13.34.34.jpg

Rent this space for $
    Okay, a taco pic.

Part of this....

Became the main ingredient in this....

Fresh ceviche with all parts grown in my little garden.

mtbr member
    Excellent !

You have proved you fish taco prowess .
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

Oh My Sack!

check your six
    OhMySack - That is interesting. Is it raw?

Rent this space for $
    Ceviche is tomato, onion, cilantro, garlic, oregano, a couple chili peppers, and a firm fish like red snapper or ling boned and chunked up. Then there's a 1/2 cup of lime juice and a 1/2 cup of lemon juice mixed in. It has to sit for several hours. I let it refrigerate overnight. The acid from the juice cook the fish thoroughly. Pour off the excess juice and dig in with chips or warm tortillas, jack cheese, and avocado, as in my case. This works very well with beer on warm day!

banned
    Sep 2012
    ^ My wife loves ceviche, we go to a place near our house to get good shrimps to make it with. Looks good OMS!

Ceviche is tomato, onion, cilantro, garlic, oregano, a couple chili peppers, and a firm fish like red snapper or ling boned and chunked up. Then there's a 1/2 cup of lime juice and a 1/2 cup of lemon juice mixed in. It has to sit for several hours. I let it refrigerate overnight. The acid from the juice cook the fish thoroughly. Pour off the excess juice and dig in with chips or warm tortillas, jack cheese, and avocado, as in my case. This works very well with beer on warm day!
    I suspected as much on letting the juices cook it. Sounds tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by gordon shumway View Post
    ^ my wife loves ceviche, we go to a place near our house to get good shrimps to make it with. Looks good oms!
    yum!

check your six
    Fish Taco's is back!! I must say I did try the fish tacos from California Tortilla and.... I didn't like them too much. The "blackened" wtf rub they used on the fish was very potent, so much so I barely tasted the fish. So to me, fish tacos are 0-1. I will try again though.

I didn't do it
    Fish Taco's is back!! I must say I did try the fish tacos from California Tortilla and.... I didn't like them too much. The "blackened" wtf rub they used on the fish was very potent, so much so I barely tasted the fish. So to me, fish tacos are 0-1. I will try again though.
    I don't have quite the experience as some of the Cali folks but the best fish tacos I've tried are from small restaurants. Seems like perhaps they just use their own secret recipe, usually nothing fancy. Keep trying because a good fish taco is worth finding.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

check your six
    ^ I will keep looking. But I am very skeptical of many places out here in the Washington D.C. area. Yelp doesn't help either...

GONE
    Nov 2008
    There's been some talk about fish tacos in this thread today:

http://forums.mtbr.com/off-camber-of...-895528-6.html

check your six
    ^

Yum!

Rent this space for $
    No pics but I had grilled Wahoo tacos from Baja Fresh, tonight. Pretty damned good for a "fast food" sorta joint.

That is all....

GONE
    Nov 2008
    No pics but I had grilled Wahoo tacos from Baja Fresh, tonight. Pretty damned good for a "fast food" sorta joint.

That is all....
    I haven't been into a Baja Fresh in a few years. Do the locations still have an aquarium inside???

banned
    Sep 2012
    I haven't been into a Baja Fresh in a few years. Do the locations still have an aquarium inside???
    Are you thinking of Rubios? The Rubios by my house has (or had) a big fish tank in it.

banned
    Jan 2013
    ^ This. Ive seen fish tanks in plenty of Rubios, but never in a Baja Fresh.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Are you thinking of Rubios? The Rubios by my house has (or had) a big fish tank in it.
    Yes!!! Rubios! I love their fish tacos!

mtbr member
    Had some really good fish tacos at the oyster house in Palms Springs, the fried oyster tacos were better
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Thanks for bringing this back...

I gotta go clean the BBQ Grill ... We're making Fish tacos tonight !
    -Dad

banned
    Jun 2007
    ^ I will keep looking. But I am very skeptical of many places out here in the Washington D.C. area. Yelp doesn't help either...
    Me too, with good reason. Recently tried California Tortilla's, only fried, or blackened - uggh!
    All this cold weather, and lack of tasty fish tacos finds me dreaming of Baja..

Nope Baja Fresh has never had aquariums, your thinking of Rubio's. See below.

^ This. Ive seen fish tanks in plenty of Rubios, but never in a Baja Fresh.
    Rubio's used to have aquariums in most locations. But since Ralph Rubio sold the business about 3 years ago the new owners pulled them all. Apparently they didn't want to pay someone like Hawg for the upkeep. And Big Ring you're right about Baja Fresh they have never had aquariums.

bust a move
    We made fried Alaskan cod tacos with fresh mango salsa for the "slaughter bowl". The tacos were the highlight of the game!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ridealot View Post
    We made fried Alaskan cod tacos with fresh mango salsa for the "slaughter bowl". The tacos were the highlight of the game!!
    Pics, or it didn't happen.
    -Dad

Thanks for bringing this back...

I gotta go clean the BBQ Grill ... We're making Fish tacos tonight !
    You're welcome! I couldn't help but boost it I've been craving fish tacos so bad.

mtbr member
    Just got done nailing them.... damn, they were good !
    I'm stuffed. *burp

*fart
    -Dad

Just got done nailing them.... damn, they were good !
    I'm stuffed. *burp

*fart
    Thanks for that FB...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VBm9I0X...%3DVBm9I0XwDNQ

Fart Sounds - YouTube

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You guys are making me hungry. I'm making plans
    for next taco Tuesday.

Thanks John this is just a reminder that tomorrow's "taco Tuesday" for those with a Rubios close by. Unfortunately my fish taco Tuesday is just a distant memory. So I live through those fortunate enough to be near one.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Trader Joe's has small frozen shrink-wrapped packets of fish that are great for fish tacos at home. Some are already marinated. They don't always have the Mahi Mahi, but it is my favorite. Their fresh corn tortillas are very good also. They have a sweeter/distinct flavor. Using the barbeque is not quite as easy as Rubios, but they are still a cheap and quick way to feed my gremlins and relatives.

Quote Originally Posted by TTTURNER View Post
    Trader Joe's has small frozen shrink-wrapped packets of fish that are great for fish tacos at home. Some are already marinated. They don't always have the Mahi Mahi, but it is my favorite. Their fresh corn tortillas are very good also. They have a sweeter/distinct flavor. Using the barbeque is not quite as easy as Rubios, but they are still a cheap and quick way to feed my gremlins and relatives.
    Thanks for the heads up on that. We recently got a Trader Joes I'll check it out.

I didn't do it
    Thanks for the heads up on that. We recently got a Trader Joes I'll check it out.
    If it's like all the Trader Joe's I know, go early because they always have tiny parking lots. I don't get it.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    If it's like all the Trader Joe's I know, go early because they always have tiny parking lots. I don't get it.
    I haven't seen it yet but I've been to plenty of them in So. Cal and most are like that. This one is apparently brand new and something Fort Collins has wanted for a long time. So I'm sure no matter what time I hit it most likely it's going to be packed.

Rent this space for $
    TJ's frozen fish is a staple at my house. I was eating 2 to 3 times a week. It's cheap, too. I buy the albacore, the Dodo, and Ahi all the time. Well....the Ahi has been gone and it happened after all the Fukishima sh*t went down. They just brought in an Atlantic Blue Fin recently but it's a lot more $'s than the good ol' nuclear blue fin we used to get. I need to try that one.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Not really fish related, but happy cinco de mayo. Now, go out and eat some tacos tonight.

50 Best Tacos in America (Slideshow) | Slideshow | The Daily Meal

p.s. can we get rid of slideshows and just have lists?!

banned
    Sep 2012
    Not really fish related, but happy cinco de mayo. Now, go out and eat some tacos tonight.

50 Best Tacos in America (Slideshow) | Slideshow | The Daily Meal

p.s. can we get rid of slideshows and just have lists?!

Happy Cinco de Mayo! And I couldn't agree more about the damn slide shows, videos, and whatever else the online media tries to replace words with. Just give me a damn article, list, etc. Pictures should supplement an article/list, not replace them.

One fish taco gone one to go and half a margarita gone. I finally found a good fish taco in Colorado. A bit spoiled coming from San Diego.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fish Tacos !-image.jpg  

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    ^^^ No dessert DJ until you clean your plate.

mtbr member
    I finally found a good fish taco in Colorado.
    Well,

Where?????

Well,

Where?????
    Two posts up didn't you see it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Only 2 fish tacos DJ? I usually eat between 6 and 8
    of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    Only 2 fish tacos DJ? I usually eat between 6 and 8
    of those things.
    Same here although this time I had a large breakfast just 2 hours prior. So two hit the spot perfect.

I didn't do it
    I'm surprised to hear that there are no taco emojis. Especially since tacos are all the rage these days with Taco Tuesdays and such.

Taco Bell: Emoji unfairly biased towards hamburger and pizza lovers
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    I'm surprised to hear that there are no taco emojis. Especially since tacos are all the rage these days with Taco Tuesdays and such.

Taco Bell: Emoji unfairly biased towards hamburger and pizza lovers
    Long live the fish taco.

I didn't do it
    Long live the fish taco.
    I could imagine that a fish taco emoji would be pretty funny.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    And would be a ban offense here.

One fish taco gone one to go and half a margarita gone. I finally found a good fish taco in Colorado. A bit spoiled coming from San Diego.

Well,

Where?????

Two posts up didn't you see it.

Well smilinsteve I think 6 months of suspense is enough. The place is called Ed's Cantina located in Estes Park. Awesome Mexican food and margaritas. Located just as you enter the town from the Big Thompson Canyon, on the left side. I highly suggest hitting it up if you are ever in Estes Park.

Ed's Cantina & Grill - The Hottest Place in Town!

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    And would be a ban offense here.
    Lol, I think we can count you as a confirmed member of the anti emoji camp.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

I didn't do it
    Well smilinsteve I think 6 months of suspense is enough. The place is called Ed's Cantina located in Estes Park. Awesome Mexican food and margaritas. Located just as you enter the town from the Big Thompson Canyon, on the left side. I highly suggest hitting it up if you are ever in Estes Park.

I noticed that you didn't answer Steve's question so good on you for finally clearing that up.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member

Finally I can get this off my mind and sleep at night!
    Last edited by smilinsteve; 02-01-2015 at 11:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Emoji?? Ok, I had to google this ****...

Emoji - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know what emoticons are. I know dingbats. Hell, I even know unicode. But Emoji??

F-in Japanese... *sigh*

(it also doesn't help that obviously my browser doesn't have the full lineup; around 1/3 of the unicode from that Wikipedia page doesn't display.)

Besides, sushi has enough awesome to get top billing over fish tacos when we are talking about JAPANESE characters. Before they can appreciate the need for a taco Emoji, they first need to get some good fish tacos over there. Since the further north of the border you get in the US, the consistently worse the Mexican food gets, I won't hold my breath in thinking somewhere as far as Japan has anything better than Taco Bell. Once the Japanese have a widespread grasp of the awesomeness that is REAL Mexican food, I think the Emoji will naturally follow suit without having to be forced by Taco Bell in a PR stunt.

mtbr member
    Here you go:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Finally I can get this off my mind sleep at night!
    Sorry about the insomnia, I'll try harder next time. I don't know how it slipped by after my initial wise ass remark. The thread went dormant after that.
    Here you go:
    Party likes it's 1999".
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member

Unfortunately, living in Castle Rock, a taco place in Estes Park is not much use to me. I am in Estes Park, pretty much never.
    In fact, I am in San Diego much more often than I am in Estes Park. I'll be there in about 3 weeks, in fact.

Unfortunately, living in Castle Rock, a taco place in Estes Park is not much use to me. I am in Estes Park, pretty much never.
    In fact, I am in San Diego much more often than I am in Estes Park. I'll be there in about 3 weeks, in fact.
    Well please do yourself a favor and hit up South Beach Bar & Grill in Ocean Beach.

IMO the best fish tacos in San Diego county. And some excellent scenery on the ocean with some tasty beers as well.

mtbr member
    Well please do yourself a favor and hit up South Beach Bar & Grill in Ocean Beach.

IMO the best fish tacos in San Diego county. And some excellent scenery on the ocean with some tasty beers as well.

Thanks for the tip!
    My go to places are the Briggantine in Del Mar for the Swordfish tacos. The rolled tacos at Point Loma Seafood are pretty awesome too.

Thanks for the tip!
    My go to places are the Briggantine in Del Mar for the Swordfish tacos. The rolled tacos at Point Loma Seafood are pretty awesome too.
    Yes those two places are awesome as well. But South Beach also has fresh Swordfish as many other types of fresh fish. Go to the link above and check out their menu.

Here. South Beach Bar & Grille - Home of the world's best fish taco!

Edit:
    I've had Swordfish fish tacos there but for some reason they are not showing on the menu. I'd call to see if they still have them first. Either way any taco there is awesome. The Mahi Mahi is another go to favorite.

mtbr member

Thank you for the excellent tIp! I had a lobster taco, a swordfish taco, ceviche, and steamed clams,
    And it was all great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fish Tacos !-20150226_154003_resized-2.jpg  

Thank you for the excellent tIp! I had a lobster taco, a swordfish taco, ceviche, and steamed clams,
    And it was all great!
    Awesome!
    Now I'm craving it here in a desolated fish taco wasteland known as
    Colorado.

Glad I could help.

gobsmacked Moderator

Fish Tacos !

Okay. Not quite fish tacos but the best taqueria commercial ever. Vegas content.

http://pocho.com/las-vegas-taqueria-...ry=/KY3RBa6Db8

Cuz I set google alerts for tacos because...you know....tacos!

b a n n e d
    Okay. Not quite fish tacos but the best taqueria commercial ever. Vegas content.

Las Vegas taqueria trolls wannabe taco thieves with snarky video : Pocho

Cuz I set google alerts for tacos because...you know....tacos!
    Yeah, I saw that. Hilarious video, but sucks they were robbed. That place does have pretty amazing tacos, including the fish!!!
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

gobsmacked Moderator
    I'm hoping it's true that they didn't get any money and just the drawers. But yeah, made the best of a not so great situation.

Welcome back 007!

Ride More, Work Less
    That was funny. Tacos in the air
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

Bannėd
    Great way to use an unfortunate incident as marketing and revenge. Hopefully they catch them and making fun of his sissy throw was good too!

The tacos/food look awesome, had to check them out on Yelp. Next time I am in Vegas I am definitely going to try this place out. See, it worked!
    That's more than Catfish would do.

Yes those two places are awesome as well. But South Beach also has fresh Swordfish as many other types of fresh fish. Go to the link above and check out their menu.

Here. South Beach Bar & Grille - Home of the world's best fish taco!

Edit:
    I've had Swordfish fish tacos there but for some reason they are not showing on the menu. I'd call to see if they still have them first. Either way any taco there is awesome. The Mahi Mahi is another go to favorite.
    And it was all great!
    Awesome!
    Now I'm craving it here in a desolated fish taco wasteland known as
    Colorado.

Glad I could help.
    I am so craving this place right now. I've now been back in Colorado for 5 years. I have yet to find a place with fish tacos that are half as good as South Beach Grill in Ocean Beach. Still searching though.

since 4/10/2009
    I am so craving this place right now. I've now been back in Colorado for 5 years. I have yet to find a place with fish tacos that are half as good as South Beach Grill in Ocean Beach. Still searching though.
    Good fish tacos are tough to find. I went to a taco shop in Asheville, NC that's not far from my apt for the first time yesterday. They had two different types of fish tacos. The more "traditional" ones used tilapia, and I won't touch that trash fish. The other ones were a seared ahi, with a different flavor profile I wasn't in the mood for at the time. Good fish tacos can be tough to find, that's for sure.

Why? Because I like to talk, breath and eat fish tacos.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The best fish taco I’ve had to date was from a little food trailer set up next to the Brickside Brewery, in Copper Harbor Mi, made with Lake Superior white fish.

Fish Tacos !-img_6690a.jpg

I temporarily fulfilled my Rubios craving. As I said earlier I was used to going there weekly for years in San Diego. Home of the original fish taco. Moved back to Colorado and there are only 4 here. Three in Denver and one in Boulder. Both an hour from me. Yesterday I found myself in Boulder on an errand to the Apple store. Both were in the same mall. Got me a grilled Salmon Buriitto and ate it on the spot. It was so good I bought two more to go. Had one today for lunch and I’ll have the other tomorrow. I also took a survey and scored a Fish Taco Especial. The taco that started the fish taco craze in the USA. I had that on my break today. I might be making an annual trip to Boulder just for this. LOL

Fish Tacos !-0993d546-3d92-4379-9323-7a5acabdb69a.jpg

Fish Tacos !-fca5eddb-8b80-42de-9194-b9ad6302cd98.jpg

Bikesexual
    Damn you guys, I just got back from riding a burrito sounds yumm!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

No known cure
    Fish tacos are my most requested dish from the kitchen. I use cod and a simple beer batter. The rest is diced cabbage and tomato, onion and cilantro. I also add serranos to mine. But the key is the white sauce that brings it together.

1/2 cup of Greek yogurt
    1/2 cup of mayo
    1 lime
    1 jalapeno, minced
    1 teaspoon of minced capers
    a pinch of cayenne
    1/4 teaspoon dried dill.

Make that first and let it chill.
    Last edited by Vader; 02-02-2019 at 07:51 PM.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Too funny, I stopped at the local pub after my PT this evening, and they had fish taco's on their menu for the day, now I've had these probably 6 month ago and they didn’t have much flavor, pretty bland if I remember correctly, so I thought I'd give them a second chance, after this tread I was craving fish tacos, well guess what, they still didn’t have much flavor…

Fish Tacos !-img_7419a.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Fish tacos are my most requested dish from the kitchen. I use cod and a simple beer batter. The rest is diced cabbage and tomato, onion and cilantro. I also add serranos to mine. But the key is the white sauce that brings it together.

1/2 cup of Greek yogurt
    1/2 cup of mayo
    1 lime
    1 jalapeno, minced
    1 teaspoon of minced capers
    a pinch of cayenne

Make that first and let it chill.
    Sounds delicious, and you are right about the white sauce. It’s the key that takes it to the next level.

Bummer tmbrown, what city do you live in?

mtbr member
    point loma seafoods fish tacos plate. Swordfish tacos.
    Fish Tacos !-20160528_135442.jpg

just watch the seagulls. they are quick SOBS.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post

Name:	20160528_135442.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	237.1 KB 
ID:	1236214

just watch the seagulls. they are quick SOBS.
    Oh man, that place rocks, haven’t been there since the mid 90’s.

One ring to mash them all
    Make sure to try Mitch's just a few doors (docks?) north. They have several types of fresh-caught fish to make tacos.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

mtbr member
    I miss Red Sails. good local place with good bloody mary's . also there is a "fish Market" down by seaport village on the pier sat am. its really hit or miss.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Bummer tmbrown, what city do you live in?
    This was in Clarkston Mi, at Mr.B's Roadhouse, they did have Hopslam on tap though.

Quote Originally Posted by tmbrown View Post
    This was in Clarkston Mi, at Mr.B's Roadhouse, they did have Hopslam on tap though.
    A long shot but is there a Brigantine restaurant in town? They have great fish tacos.

mtbr member
    There is a brigantine just a ways down the road on shelter island from point Loma seafood. The brigantine restaurant chain pretty much owns all the waterfront restaurants in San Diego. The Morton family has ins with the SD port authority.

Other great place is old town Cafe. in, well, old town San Diego. Great traditional Mexican food and burritos.

There is a brigantine just a ways down the road on shelter island from point Loma seafood. The brigantine restaurant chain pretty much owns all the waterfront restaurants in San Diego. The Morton family has ins with the SD port authority.

Other great place is old town Cafe. in, well, old town San Diego. Great traditional Mexican food and burritos.
    I know that about the Brigantine and the SD connection. I was asking tmbrown if he had one local in Mi. Great fish tacos. Not sure if they go that far easy though.

One ring to mash them all
    I miss Red Sails. good local place with good bloody mary's . also there is a "fish Market" down by seaport village on the pier sat am. its really hit or miss.
    The place that replaced Red Sails in that location (The Ketch, along with Ketch Brewing in Kearny Mesa and the Miguel's Cocina chain) is part of the Brigantine restaurant group. All of their fish tacos are serviceable.

I know that about the Brigantine and the SD connection. I was asking tmbrown if he had one local in Mi. Great fish tacos. Not sure if they go that far easy though.
    I don't think Brigantine or any other restaurants in that group exist outside San Diego county. The Brig in Pt. Loma is 40 years old this year.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    A long shot but is there a Brigantine restaurant in town? They have great fish tacos.
    No , I did a quick Google search, there's plenty of good restaurant in the area, I wasn’t searching out Fish tacos, I just stopped by for a couple beers, and they had them on their daily special, and for the record they weren't that bad, just the salsa, or that cream colored stuff didn’t have much flavor…

Bummer ^

So I’m at work on my lunch break. Digging into the second salmon buritto I purchased to go the other day from Rubios in Boulder. I didn’t realize how spoiled I was when living in San Diego. I took a photo for size reference to share here. Stuffed full of grilled salmon a little bit of rice and some other tasty recipe tricks. I’m amazed at how much Salmon is stuffed in it though.

Fish Tacos !-26736d9e-2fbd-4398-bddb-db69c03410f0.jpg

mtbr member
    With this discussion I'm doing grilled fish tacos tonight. I have salmon, halibut, and swordfish. Have some good homemade corn tortillas. Fish suggestions?

mtbr member
    salmon buritto
    That is white people food if I have ever heard of it!

Pipe Dreamer
    What's a burrito doing in the taco thread???
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    That is white people food if I have ever heard of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    What's a burrito doing in the taco thread???
    You yourself said a taco is just a burrito only smaller. “I fold my tacos into a burrito”.

Bikesexual
    Are home made carne asada tacos count here? Prep..

Yes, wine. Too cold for beer lol
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Pipe Dreamer
    You yourself said a taco is just a burrito only smaller. “I fold my tacos into a burrito”.
    Yeah, you got me there, but that was the past and I've changed my ways.

Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post

The carne asada tacos count for sure, but not so sure on the "too cold for beer", lol!

I don't know how you guys can drink that wine stuff, nasty!
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post

I vote yes on all.

Malbec?

Bikesexual
    I vote yes on all.

Malbec?
    Yes sir.

However, I had a coke with my tacos lol. I have to drive to my gf's house, so I had to chill.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast