Fireworks- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fireworks

Fart smeller

Fireworks

Man, I don't know where people are getting their stuff, but damn, there was some professional shit going off last night. The dog was going nuts!

I tried to take pics with my phone, but it doesn't do so well at night, but maybe you'll get the idea. I live out in the country, and have a 360 panoramic view. Stuff was going off everywhere.

The pic is some going off in a development at least a mile or two away. Crazy!

Fireworks-fireworks.jpg
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Same here! 360 deg view of illegal fireworks here from my house in Fremont CA. Where do i gotta go for fireworks like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Yep, I didn’t even look out the window but I could tell it wasn’t a normal year for what homeowners were shooting off, which lasted consistently until 3am at least. That’s the last time I looked at the clock before I may have fell asleep. There’s even a a huge traffic lit up sign the city put up along the busiest road in town. “Warning, use only legal fireworks, $1000 fine for illegal and shut down by 10pm be kind to your neighbors”
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    Where do i gotta go for fireworks like that?
    The military?

Heather Heyer

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    “Warning, use only legal fireworks, $1000 fine for illegal and shut down by 10pm be kind to your neighbors”
    Riiiiiiiight. Every law-abiding citizen will heed that warning!

Heather Heyer

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Up here in the Northbay, we've become a little gun shy about fireworks of any kind. After the fires we had in NorCal in '17, '18 and '19. they seem like a really dumb thing to be doing.

We're a parasite destroying our host, may as well be by fire, I guess.
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

One ring to mash them all
    I could hear fireworks shows going off in the distance. A lot of onesie-twosies going off in and around my neighborhood.

I have some eucalyptus-like trees growing off my back deck. I had a hose ready to go in case one of the neighbor kids set one off on my bank. They were definitely going off on the street below me.

Thankfully my dogs DGAF about fireworks. A family we know had to put down their boxer one year after it crashed through a window, terrified of a nearby fireworks show.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

RAKC
    Here in St Louis md surrounding areas it was one massive fireworks show in every direction. We went out to the wifes sisters about an hour away to light off fireworks. All around them and as far as you could see was fireworks.

Drive home was just as insane as was when we got home. Sounded like we were in a war movie during a major battle. The neighborhood watch facebook group Karen's were loosing their sh*&, was hilarious.

I found it quite awesome so many said screw the laws, wont do fireworks shows we will have our own.

FYI the good fireworks are bought in states where they are legal. Like here in Missouri. When I was growing up in Illinois we bought fireworks down here when we went to the southern part of the state to visit family.

Gotta grow a pair, ignore the laws and find states it's legal to buy them.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

All fat, all the time.
    Yep same thing northern Idaho put a great show on. Finally put ear plugs in around midnight and went to bed lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Riiiiiiiight. Every law-abiding citizen will heed that warning!
    Well, if the fireworks police would actually seek out these hoodlums and dish out the $1K. fine and confiscate their stash. Maybe word on the street would spread. It’s not hard to pinpoint their location given the S.O.S. flares lighting up the skies.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

since 4/10/2009
    Indiana.

Down my way, there were lots of people lighting stuff off once it got dark and it started tapering out by around 10pm. They're mostly respectful about it. But there are some idiots. After my hike yesterday, I was having a beer and some pretzels (with some killer beer cheese) at one of my usual brewpubs, and some idiots were lighting off mortars from a picnic table in the parking lot of an apartment complex across the river from the brewpub...at like 4pm when it was overcast. Idiots. Probably wasted a couple hundred bucks worth of mortars while we sat there, and you could hear the boom, but couldn't see anything. Thank goodness my dog was more interested in the other people on the patio.

In Indiana, you get mortars being set off for at least 2 months straight. I don't miss that crap.

Well, if the fireworks police would actually seek out these hoodlums and dish out the $1K. fine and confiscate their stash. Maybe word on the street would spread. It’s not hard to pinpoint their location given the S.O.S. flares lighting up the skies.
    Doesn't work that way. If people know where to go to buy them legally, they'll set them off wherever the hell they want and it's not difficult to escape notice. Indiana tried many years ago to clamp down on it. There was a period of time where they set up "legal zones" for the big stuff staffed by paramedics and the fire dept, and it didn't stop people from setting off whatever they wanted in their yard. So they gave up.

Me, I'm done with fireworks in general. They don't interest me.

Straight out tha traila
    Indian Res.
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Indian Res.
    Or 40 minutes from me.

https://kdvr.com/news/local/wyoming-...s-are-soaring/

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post

That's me. They mean absolutely nothing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I’ll 3rd that.

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I’ll 3rd that.
    I'd just like to take a minute to welcome you all to GOMS 2020 Annual General Meeting. Presiding over todays proceedings is President DJ and HArold will be taking note.

Thank you all for coming.

First item on today's agenda. When we're too old to bang, everything else should stop banging as well. Discuss

(To save DJ the Headache, GOMS = Grumpy Old Man's Society)

mtbr member
    I love fireworks but I know the time is not right for fireworks. The last fire by my house started about a 1/4 mile away and burned 5k acres. I would rather shoot off some model rockets than fireworks.

mtbr member
    Fireworks kaboom
    Round and round we go

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    I'd just like to take a minute to welcome you all to GOMS 2020 Annual General Meeting. Presiding over todays proceedings is President DJ and HArold will be taking note.

First item on today's agenda. When we're too old to bang, everything else should stop banging as well. Discuss

Haha x2. Good stuff.
    Get off my lawn!

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Haha x2. Good stuff.
    Get off my lawn!

May I digress and draw your attention briefly to item 2 on our agenda. In consideration for our Presidents' current predicament, please refrain from any comments that may cause laughter.

Now back to item 1...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    There were rumors that with all of the official shows cancelled, some of the unused "ordnance" was finding its way out onto the street. I don't know if that's even technically feasible, but there have been some reports of professional-grade guerilla displays. In California, fireworks can be a big problem because the entire state is flammable in July. I went out on nearby trails this morning and found a bunch of spent fireworks in and around dry brush. Could have been ugly.

Up In Smoke
    Remember when people used to be stoked about fireworks on the 4th of July?

mtbr member
    Surprisingly, this year there wasn't nearly as much neighborhood fireworks as past years, but as usual, any fireworks are quickly followed by redneck fireworks (gunfire). Ahh to live in the country side.

High Desert MTBer
    With 2 fires still burning here in Tucson, both quite close to us, most people were thankfully prudent. The big pro displays were canceled, and individuals were restrained. Just the occasional idiot firing something off close to dry brush. Someone across the wash from us set of something that pretty much engulfed his back yard and spilled over into the wash. I was watching from outside, and there were a lot of people shouting across at him to stop endangering us all!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Cross the border into PA for us, if we so choose. Yup, lots of high grade action despite the town and city shutdown of them this year.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Here in St Louis md surrounding areas it was one massive fireworks show in every direction. We went out to the wifes sisters about an hour away to light off fireworks. All around them and as far as you could see was fireworks.

Drive home was just as insane as was when we got home. Sounded like we were in a war movie during a major battle. The neighborhood watch facebook group Karen's were loosing their sh*&, was hilarious.

I found it quite awesome so many said screw the laws, wont do fireworks shows we will have our own.

FYI the good fireworks are bought in states where they are legal. Like here in Missouri. When I was growing up in Illinois we bought fireworks down here when we went to the southern part of the state to visit family.

Gotta grow a pair, ignore the laws and find states it's legal to buy them.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Yeah it was pretty wild. Truth be told, beyond lack of theatrical coordination, I wouldn't have been able to tell there was no professional show. I live on the western end of the city and could look east and see fireworks from where I'm at and every neighborhood down to the Arch. That always gives me a little entertainment for about 30 minutes on July 4th every year. Truth be told I'm not that interested in fireworks (I don't think that qualifies me for GOMS as there really should be an age threshold, regardless of disposition).

I'll also say that Facebook neighborhood karens must be a ubiquitous phenomenon, and we have plenty that were complaining in our hood. The problem is they hear a few fireworks and immediately start posting things about how their dog is scared or whatever. I get it, I have one dog that couldn't care less and one that's dreadfully afraid of fireworks. We deal with for the week leading up to and after 4th of July. However the immediate complaining fuels the fire for other folks to just keep going and make it bigger. I wonder how much easier these conflicts would resolve if people actually talked to their neighbors instead of whining on FB...
    dang

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Cross the border into PA for us, if we so choose. Yup, lots of high grade action despite the town and city shutdown of them this year.

I think that is because PA residents are still getting used to the idea that they can now legally buy "real" fireworks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by paramount3 View Post
    There were rumors that with all of the official shows cancelled, some of the unused "ordnance" was finding its way out onto the street. I don't know if that's even technically feasible, but there have been some reports of professional-grade guerilla displays. In California, fireworks can be a big problem because the entire state is flammable in July. I went out on nearby trails this morning and found a bunch of spent fireworks in and around dry brush. Could have been ugly.
    The pro concerns have mostly coded and secure control boxes, usually keyed too. Hard to crack those things unless you're a bit of a boffin. Wiring 'liberated ordnance' up to shoot would be possible but challenging without some control pack. Not so much 'light blue touchpaper', more, 'let the russkie hackers have a go'... or you just get a small ignitor match and a powerful battery with a switch inline... Crude but effective.

I used to handle pyro duties for a few bands back in the day. Now, amongst other things, I design flame effects for stage props too...
    It's all Here. Now.

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Remember when people used to be stoked about fireworks on the 4th of July?
    Yes, it fizzled out with me.

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    Surprisingly, this year there wasn't nearly as much neighborhood fireworks as past years, but as usual, any fireworks are quickly followed by redneck fireworks (gunfire). Ahh to live in the country side.
    I was half expecting to find a bullet hole or two in the roof of my car.

Heather Heyer

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Well, contrary to myth, a bullet fired straight up into the air, only reaches terminal velocity when falling back to earth. It may cause a slight dent in your car, but not a hole. It's generally accepted that if it hit a person, while it would hurt, it wouldn't even break the skin.

Well, contrary to myth, a bullet fired straight up into the air, only reaches terminal velocity when falling back to earth. It may cause a slight dent in your car, but not a hole. It's generally accepted that if it hit a person, while it would hurt, it wouldn't even break the skin.
    But would be unpleasant, no?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    But would be unpleasant, no?
    Potentially deadly:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/startsw.../#39e725553d22

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by paramount3 View Post
    Good read, thanks!

Heather Heyer

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Yeah, that's the same article I read. Straight up versus an angle changes things.